• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
It really does, and I probably wont take it seriously.. at all

skinssssssssssssss omg so good. Crazy *** stalker chick on the show now.

Gea

Smash Master
I'm sure it would be no worse than Brawl. Dohohoho.

So I got done modding my fight stick except for the art. **** of off the hook. I put in all seimitsu parts. I am in love with it.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Added to the list of Get Brawled! series

~
SSBM - SSBB
Halo 2- Halo 3
Guilty Gear - BlazBlue
Street Fighter 3s - Street Fighter IV
MvC 2 - MvC 3
Call Of Duty 4 - Call Of Duty MW2
Diablo II - Diablo III (probably)

So Glad SCII is actually loads ton better than SC1.

BioDG

Smash Ace

~
SSBM - SSBB
Halo 2- Halo 3
Guilty Gear - BlazBlue
MvC 2 - MvC 3

I dunno if a SF will ever top 3s

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The game isn't out yet. Give it a few
Months and things will get better. If not, capcom can always fix it like the did with sf4.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
but it's sloooooooooooow!!!!! zomgerpaderpa can't be competertiv if it are slow game!!!!!!!! don't you know! derp nooby!!!!!!!!

Gea

Smash Master
but it's sloooooooooooow!!!!! zomgerpaderpa can't be competertiv if it are slow game!!!!!!!! don't you know! derp nooby!!!!!!!!
It's slow? Chun x-factor is like so fast you can't keep up. People's complaints are that it's too easy to play (low skill ceiling). There's a difference. Point is moot as long as the game has options. So far it looks like it does.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
But there's no rom!!!!!!!!! It must suck!!!!! It has to!!!!!!!! Every game without rom is just complete garbage!!!!!!!!

CY

Smash Ace

~
SSBM - SSBB
Halo 2- Halo 3
Guilty Gear - BlazBlue
MvC 2 - MvC 3

that's actually a good point, although SC2 is a lot easier than SC1, it's still really competitive.

welcome to the new age of gaming, every game is made so that the casual fans can play the games easier. smart, but makes the games meh when played competitively.

also, Fedor just lost!

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
I think people are just too critical to change. Just because they don't get marvel 2.5, Starcraft 2.5 ( you get the point) people get upset when you change things they love. I think it is ridiculous to make a judgment on a game that's technically not even out yet, or that has been played a few days.

Xyro77

I hope so. Everyone said this when Brawl came out.
I might rent this for now
One difference. Capcom listens to its fans and fixes things if people complain. With a heavy hitter like MvC3 you KNOW they will listen to them if enough complain.

Suspect

Smash Hero

~
SSBM - SSBB
Halo 2- Halo 3
Guilty Gear - BlazBlue
MvC 2 - MvC 3

So much truth, but don't forget Tekken 5 DR- Tekken 6 BR

Also, I hope Tekken Tag 2 doesnt get brawled, im very hyped for that right now

and Dissidia 2 if that counts

Gea

Smash Master
One difference. Capcom listens to its fans and fixes things if people complain. With a heavy hitter like MvC3 you KNOW they will listen to them if enough complain.
Actually Capcom has a long standing history of being total *****es to their fans and not fixing long standing issues in future patches. I wouldn't be worried about MvC3. It's TvC2 except with more options. Technical execution was only a minor barrier of entry in MvC2. Everything else was being smarter than your opponent, consistent, and having the right team for the job.

This game still has unblockables, it has 100% combos (God does it), it has rushdown, it has keepaway. It has mixups, command grabs, pushblock, wavedashing, 8 way airdashes for some characters, techrolling, aerial rave countering, assist countering.

People had the exact same complaints when Marvel 2 came out. Baww inputs are easier from Marvel 1, less balanced spamfest with iceman/cable. Game has no depth/will die/ everyone should go back to Marvel 1. Look what happened. As long as a game is fun to play and has skillgap it's good for playing competitively. So far it looks like Marvel 3 has all of these things, plus a lower price of admission for new people.

Brawl blows because they took out the fun and the skillgap, added in glitches, bad controls, bad physics, and took out viable options. Brawl is horrible as a competitive game.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
brawl is fun as fuuuuuuuuuuu.

Anygame can be competitive as long as enough people enjoy it. And brawl definitely has enough fans. Same goes with mvc3.. enough people already like the game enough to give it a chance and try.

I effn love music.

Xyro77

Actually Capcom has a long standing history of being total *****es to their fans and not fixing long standing issues in future patches. I wouldn't be worried about MvC3. It's TvC2 except with more options. Technical execution was only a minor barrier of entry in MvC2. Everything else was being smarter than your opponent, consistent, and having the right team for the job.

This game still has unblockables, it has 100% combos (God does it), it has rushdown, it has keepaway. It has mixups, command grabs, pushblock, wavedashing, 8 way airdashes for some characters, techrolling, aerial rave countering, assist countering.

People had the exact same complaints when Marvel 2 came out. Baww inputs are easier from Marvel 1, less balanced spamfest with iceman/cable. Game has no depth/will die/ everyone should go back to Marvel 1. Look what happened. As long as a game is fun to play and has skillgap it's good for playing competitively. So far it looks like Marvel 3 has all of these things, plus a lower price of admission for new people.

Brawl blows because they took out the fun and the skillgap, added in glitches, bad controls, bad physics, and took out viable options. Brawl is horrible as a competitive game.
Ok so u admit that they do fix their games but certain issue they refuse to fix. Where as the devs in smash deliberately refuse to even make it possible to fix the game AND openly admit that they don't want brawl to be competitive.

I agree mvc3 is still a decent game but there is hope for a fix. Smash can only get worse.

Xyro77

And dojo, Gea is right. Anybody can pick up brawl and be decent. In melee that's not true. U could know WDing L canceling and other basics but still suck at the game hard core.

That's the skillgap he's talking about

Dojo

Smash Champion
Be decent at best. There's still an obvious skill gap which is the whole reason for Ozz (and he's right) complaining that none of you can touch Keith or Timmy and they win EVERYTHING. Because they outright have more skill than all of you. Some by a HUGE amount.

I agree it's not a very great competitive game. It wasn't meant to be. But it does have a skill gap. And fun is based on opinion so w/e.

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if this is true. Now that we are in the information age or what i like to call the competitive gaming age, do you think gaming is "easier" than it was in the past? Back then you would have to discover combos, mixups, etc on your own or in a close knitted community. But now we have youtube, smashboards/shoryuken are more well known, and even live streams. Information such as frame data, combos can be easily looked up. top level pros have videos all over youtube so people can copy. So i get the feeling that these people that are bitter about change, are the people that put a lot of effort into being "good," and now that they picked up this new game, and people are already on their level, or even better. Hype doesn't stay with a game forever, follow they hype!

Gea

Smash Master
I agree it's not a very great competitive game. It wasn't meant to be. But it does have a skill gap. And fun is based on opinion so w/e.
Fine, let me rephrase. They severely lowered the skillgap from any game in the series. Fun is subjective, yes. So I'll rephrase that as a "game where defensive and offensive actions are imbalanced to a severe degree and there are not options to circumvent these limitations reliably."

If you enjoy Brawl, so be it. I wish Brawl's qualities on no game.

I wonder if this is true. Now that we are in the information age or what i like to call the competitive gaming age, do you think gaming is "easier" than it was in the past? Back then you would have to discover combos, mixups, etc on your own or in a close knitted community. But now we have youtube, smashboards/shoryuken are more well known, and even live streams. Information such as frame data, combos can be easily looked up. top level pros have videos all over youtube so people can copy. So i get the feeling that these people that are bitter about change, are the people that put a lot of effort into being "good," and now that they picked up this new game, and people are already on their level, or even better. Hype doesn't stay with a game forever, follow they hype!
Very well stated. With the internet age also comes turbulence in the local communities. More players are interested but online is also an option for these players (instead of seeking out local communities). I think the sharing of information just allows games to progress their metagames more efficiently and this combined with a lower barrier of entry and these games being sequels we are seeing scenes mature much more quickly.

Ok so u admit that they do fix their games but certain issue they refuse to fix. Where as the devs in smash deliberately refuse to even make it possible to fix the game AND openly admit that they don't want brawl to be competitive.

I agree mvc3 is still a decent game but there is hope for a fix. Smash can only get worse.

Oh, I agree with this. The thing about Capcom is that they have some very passionate developers that are shackled by the corporate ***** that is big business. In Nintendo's case they entrust a man whose philosophies don't transfer well into the genre he is asked to work on. I wonder what smash would become with a different director. I agree though, there isn't much light at the end of this tunnel. Brawl is a "success" for Nintendo and Melee didn't sell all that well in Japan compared to the other two titles. There are reasons for this but in the end it's numbers that count more than logic and the Smash series isa game where hype will dictate it's sales far more than quality. Such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom