• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
God damn Xyro. He put it in you without any lube and said enjoy this ***** and Ima make you a milkshake.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is Melee REALLY more balanced than Brawl? I've never heard of a Ness, Bowser, Kirby or Pichu beating top Fox, Falco and Marth players.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I beat a Fox in a tournament match with my Zelda in a tourny match at one of the old HOBOs that had melee. Then he went Falcon and 3 stocked me :( Some characters are so terrible in Melee.

:059:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Wha? His post had nothing to do with mine. I think he just can't handle
My opinion and he made at the fact ww3 is gonna happen in our life time.

Gea

Smash Master
Yes, Cort was a top player. Yes, it's a rarity. No, you shouldn't take that match as any sort of testament towards the balance of Melee. The thing about Melee is that while it's unbalanced, skill plays a much more significant role in the game than matchups do until you get to an extremely high level of play. Even then, there are 5-6~ characters that you can choose and have great success.

And ontop of that, you have amazing players such as Mango using Mario and taking out good spacies. I cannot stress how difficult it is to take on a Falcon or spacey with Mario at high levels of play. It's relatively unheard of. Skill >>>> matchups. Hell, I'd cite ChuDat playing dubs with ICs AND a level 9 computer and doing well a pretty clear statement of that. Oh and Bum's performance with DK when DK was like LOOOOOW on the tier list at the time.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yes, Cort was a top player. Yes, it's a rarity. No, you shouldn't take that match as any sort of testament towards the balance of Melee. The thing about Melee is that while it's unbalanced, skill plays a much more significant role in the game than matchups do until you get to an extremely high level of play. Even then, there are 5-6~ characters that you can choose and have great success.

And ontop of that, you have amazing players such as Mango using Mario and taking out good spacies. I cannot stress how difficult it is to take on a Falcon or spacey with Mario at high levels of play. It's relatively unheard of. Skill >>>> matchups. Hell, I'd cite ChuDat playing dubs with ICs AND a level 9 computer and doing well a pretty clear statement of that. Oh and Bum's performance with DK when DK was like LOOOOOW on the tier list at the time.
5-6 characters can be chosen and have "great success"? Like what? Winning national/regional tournaments? Placing in the money at national/regional tournaments? Brawl in the last year of regionals/nationals, has has yoshi, sonic, ness, pikachu,lucario, zss, luigi, DDD, fox, donkey kong all placing high/in the money at large tournaments.

Now I won't say I know a whole lot about Melee, but does anyone below B tier ever get money or top 10% at 100+ person tournaments?

Xyro77

Tesh u gotta look at why those brawl chars won. No one knows how to play vs them yet. Brawl ain't even 3 years old yet. In melee, low tiers were winning even after 5 years of melee when char exp johns were not legit anymore. He'll in 2010, this Zelda player met m2k in GF of this one melee event.

I seriously don't see fow or shaky doing that good 5-7 years down the line.

Gea

Smash Master
Like being able to win a national. <<<<<< Important part, since it means having to play against the worst MUs (or most prevalent characters) in the bracket, not just squeeze into top 10 then lose out to the same MUs.

And yes, you see and have seen high placing Pikas, Luigis, DKs, Samus, Ganon etc in Melee. Early on in Melee's life you even saw characters like Zelda doing well. A larger ratio of the cast has won nationals in Melee than in Brawl. There are less 0-100 (or ridiculously bad) MUs in Melee. The biggest threat to low tiers in Melee is Shiek, and she is kept in check by the sheer number of space animals. Look at how respected and how well Sethlon played with Roy.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Alright, fair enough I suppose. Brawl is young and I'm pretty sure MK will eventually topple all of his "evenish" matchups.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
K so you are obviously talking about snake. I agree it is obscene damage on his moves. Although saying it is OVERLY safe is almost an idiotic statement if you know how the character works. Yes I know you mean his hit box and how far it is. Some characters can punish snake's, even perfectly spaced, attacks. Most characters can punish even if it is not PS. If you PS, you can punish anything. D3 can punish attacks even when not power shielded. Tethers can grab him. It is the worst idea as snake to go in and try to attack with his hit boxes. Most characters can retaliate with an attack. More technically speaking, you can SDI snake's ftilt behind him and punish. Learn snake and his weaknesses and it will become dramatically easier.

Wrong. Every character has some sort of combo and varies all on %. 2 hits can be a combo. Snake? Combos? LOLROFLMAOWTFBBQHELICOPTER? Snake has no true combos. All of his moves you can SDI out of. How does snake not have "no hit/shield stun"? Is this bad reasoning why I'm so far ahead of you guys? Snake does not negate skill. Worried about his damage output and tilt range? Shield and punish. Kk kool beans bro. And your last statement, says it is the abuse of those character that make me "higher" level than you the rest of you and not the player. Just because you like us doesn't mean you're not picking on us. You are directly taking away MY WHOLE career of Brawl solely because I use Snake? ********. I've used Snake since my first tournament. If snake was so amazing and broken, I wouldn't of started off at 17th three tournaments in a row. Obviously couldn't of been snake since I got 9th with GW at HOBO 9 as I did with Snake the next two tournaments. You have seen me grow with Snake and have gotten better with Snake.

You make it SOUND like it is impossible to beat us because of our characters. Seriously? Let me spit some past facts. San beat Gnes and I and most of Houston already. I've lost to countless D3s. Roy has beaten me even when I was on top. Espy has beaten Gnes and I before. Trela has beaten me before. Swordguard beat Gnes at Apex. Why can't smoom do it?
Cable, a DK, defeated Trela at Apex. Larry defeated Gnes and I already. Kosmos has beaten Gnes. Why can't illmatic do it? Samboner beat me.

You make it sound like you are on our same level skill wise which I don't believe. I believe we really are above the rest of you in Houston skill wise. Our characters do help us like me vs illmatic (snake vs peach), but it is not entirely the character that carries us to win. The way you talk makes it seem like you can just pick up a higher tier character and can automatically do as well as us. Why don't you do it?

Sorry, but ozz has already talked about this. There is a skill gap in Houston ESPECIALLY if we have been winning for almost 2 years. It is not solely our characters doing it. Step it up.

No Fliphop name drop?! I JUST DID IT MYSELF WOO

Xyro77

Sethlon went to pound 3 and decimated darkrain(in his prime) and didn't know who the guy was till after it was over. Low tier were doing that thing alot. Dire Vulcan did some cool stuff too with gw(who is terrible in melee)

Gea

Smash Master
Alright, fair enough I suppose. Brawl is young and I'm pretty sure MK will eventually topple all of his "evenish" matchups.
Brawl's metagame evolving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NYvJJ-_Vw

I'd like to add in a quote from the youtube page explaining this a bit:

It technically works with every character, but Wario is the only character that can live with it. If you use a recovery type move and go against the falling then the game will think that you're trying to kill yourself off the top, but you can't kill yourself off the top. The second that recovery move ends you die. Wario is the only character that use a recovery move for that long and keep the pace steady to make it to the other side w/o dieing, sonic's side and down-b move too fast
My guess is Sonic will be able to hang to the left side of the screen and start a spindash as it drops and be able to go to the right, drop down and get back on the ship. Making it an effective way to avoid confrontation before the screen falls.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

My guess is Sonic will be able to hang to the left side of the screen and start a spindash as it drops and be able to go to the right, drop down and get back on the ship. Making it an effective way to avoid confrontation before the screen falls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJTw8sTEeU

Why can't every character have something this hilarious? Stupid Wario taking all the fun...

Tesh

Smash Hero

Sonic wouldn't be able to do much, as the guy explained in that quote, you die if your special ends and you are still up there. Spindash HAS to end 2 seconds after you start it so Sonic would just die if he didn't come back down.

Besides he can just do the invincible spindash trick on the boat over and over until it gets to the good part.

Gea

Smash Master
I'm saying you can use that time to wait for the stage to drop then come down off of the right side like normal without worrying about someone else trying to stop you. Not going left, which is what he is suggesting. Just a thought anyways.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Wait it really kills at zero or was that some bs? Because I've seen the flip before.
It doesn't say, but if you go near someone doing this in singles, you honestly deserve to die.

Now doubles....that's another story.

Gea

Smash Master

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
frak my mom

DDR all day every day

we need to get back in shape xyro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom