• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
True high level play isn't about having the better character. It's about deeply reading your opponent, baiting, and being lucky with tripping. How is playing MK and simply Nadoing into someone when they're in the air or edgeguarding with your countless safe options teaching you to think intuitively?

When I'm beating people with MK, it's not because I'm mindgaming them super hard; it's just me having the options that they generally don't. I hardly improve. When I beat someone with Ike, it's because of some damn hard reads. Hard reads are what make a great player, and I plan on continuing to avoid MK until I can fully get my head into this game. Then I'll likely go back.

I might not even get time to really apply this in Brawl, depending on how successful MVC3 is, but I still believe I've found a great system for competitive gaming, which is also my TLDR version.

TLDR Version:

Step 1. Play average character
Step 2. Play best character
Step 3. Go back to average character with your newfound game knowledge and understand more about how the game works.
Step 4. Go back to the best character.

It's basically about creativity with your options... I wonder if I can muster up one of my pro metaphors for it.

Pro Metaphor:

Let's say you have two race car drivers of equal competence, and you give one of them a minivan (Ganondorf?) and the other a sportscar... let's say Ferrari since I honestly enjoy Ferrari's. Then, you make them race each other over and over again.

Obviously the Ferrari ***** the Minivan repeatedly, and also obviously the minivan driver gets super frustrated. Assuming he doesn't let his butthurt overtake him and is smart enough to keep the attitude of trying to win, the minivan driver will likely be the one intensely thinking of creative ways to win by looking for shortcuts, looking at drifting and drafting shenanigans, and generally looking at and learning more of things that the Ferrari has no desire or reason to analyze.

Next step, give them both Ferraris. The former minivan driver will struggle at first and still lose with the new power, but once he becomes familiar with it he'll also already be familiar with the process of thinking intuitively and will have knowledge of things the other never have and likely never will having always had the powah. When you have two people with the same tools, it's knowledge that decides the victor.

There are obviously factors that can throw this metaphor off like how long becoming as familiar with a Ferrari as the other guy would take and such, but the basic idea that everyone can relate to in life is this.

A spoiled person will be less likely to develop as well as someone who started out with very little and learns from it.

I say less likely because there are players that start with MK and be clever enough to never need to struggle to figure things out, like M2K, but I think it would apply to him in Melee.

Of course, you have to generally be a talented gamer and smart enough to figure it all out. It can't be the "boo-hoo my character sucks and that's why I lose" butthurt mentality that most people use for switching to MK (dat Almo status).

stolen~

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Bowser can grab bananas while Koopa Hopping.

Sounds like a bottom tier item to me.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I just finished an interview with inui about whobo 3. it should be up soon
Did he do anything besides talk about how good he is, how bad other people are, and cry more about Dugfinn?

Seriously, I like the guy in person well enough, but reading anything Inui has to say is about as productive as slamming my boys in a sliding glass door.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hey houston brawlers. i just moved out to league city here in houston last saturday and im wonderin whos down to kick it sometime and play some brawl? as to when specifically ill have to tell you after tomorrow as i just got hired at target in kemah and have orientation at 9 tomorrow morning.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
cool where at? i live by double daves pizza by constellation blvd. and im used to walking long distance 2 so where u live and ill let u know when im free in a little while!

Illmatic's_mom

Smash Rookie
Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Christian, you can find something to do tonight right? I need the house to myself...

Allan, come by for some sweet lovin' tonight ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom