• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Zac made an entire thread about how he wanted to quit singles because of Meta Knight.
I remember that.
Then Zac is a scrub and should get as good as Vex and Vinnie?

He doesn't seem to be struggling against MK anymore. None of the good GaWs are.

And the other good GaW is Valdens...look at the first letters of their names...hmm...

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I remember back when there was discussion about people wanting Blissey banned too. That won't happen in 5th gen though. There's a better special wall now. That new Ground/Steel mole pokemon is a bit too good in this early stage though. I'm curious what people will do to counter it.

:059:
It's a late game sweeper, and it's ability helps it quite a bit. 5th gen metagame is in the VERY early stages though.

*rubs temples*

Are you talking about this?

It's a physical sweeper, and I could see Cune, Vappy, or Zapdos putting up a good run against it

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Garchomp actually has a ****ty move pool as far as variety and it's very one sided. Smogon jumped the gun when they banned him and their reasoning was because he "over centralized the metagame". They've re-tested him and still think he's too good but I think they're full of ****

He mostly was banned because of CB Outrage or SD Outrage and the argument was nothing could safely switch in. Same goes for Mence actually and it's actually harder to switch into Mence than it is Chomp which is why I don't understand what took so long to ban Mence when Chomp was banned so fast.

Neither are Uber imo, but whatever, I don't miss Mence in the least, but I do miss Chomp.

That's roughly the reasons behind banning him, there's more stuff to factor in with his ability and typing since it's SR resistant and Mence takes a chunk every time he switches into SR
The main thing about Garchomp's ban that surprised me was that he doesn't have a way to boost his speed. Sure, he sits at 102 Base speed outspeeding all the 100's if he goes + nature, but he doesn't have the speed boost to threaten a sweep. Starmie can come in all day if he wants and crap on him with Ice Beam. Im pretty sure you could also made Gyarados bulky and then **** him with Ice Fang.

Honestly, I think what made people wary about Garchomp was how common Sandstorms got. Garchomp is completely COMPLETELY OU if he had an ability like Intimidate or if sandstorms were very infrequent. But being able to easily summon up a sandstorm with that much evasion granted does get a bit dumb. Sure, it's only 20%, but that 20% can easily turn your Garchomp guaranteed counter into crap.

It felt weird when they let Latias into OU. I felt that with her in play, Garchomp was perfectly acceptable because you just let in a faster Dragon, giving another easy access counter to him. (Why the hell they let HER into OU is beyond me, probably was the pursuit weakness but then that made the metagame into specifically trapping her for awhile.)

Garchomp and Salamence both have to deal with Ice Priority and Ice attacks from faster Pokemon. They also had to worry about faster Dragons, and Steels coming into Outrage and exploding/setting up. Salamence had SR to deal with, Garchomp had Toxic Spikes and Spikes to deal with. Garchomp if he had a different ability probably would be completely acceptable for OU. Salamence could be acceptable, but then again because he can boost his speed you actually have to put some effort into countering him. Gonna rely on getting him weak and just using Scizor CB BP? Gonna throw a Steel in and hope he doesn't have Fire Blast? Gonna have a Pokemon with Ice Beam that you hope he doesn't outspeed or kill on the switch? Gonna scarf a pokemon just to outspeed him at +1 or +2?

That's a lot of work frankly to put into one character. You can do it, and not miss out on much (Starmie/Scizor/Scarfed Pokemon always useful), but it's not like most other OU pokemon where you can have general counters like "Oh Tyranitar I can throw in Scizor or Machamp or get lucky with Sub Gengar/etc" or "Gyarados hey I can throw in Vaporeon with Hidden Power Electric or Suicune or a Phazer or a Jolteon or Zapdos or surprise Jirachi etc".

Edit: MK ***** G&W bad. Tru story

Player-4

See you in 25 years
That's why you remove those before you set that up to sweep. You know, like how you remove heatran before setting up Scizor to sweep?

Lol no I get it, I know how to play Pokemon rofl. I was just stating he's probably not all that against good players.

Anyways, I'm still confused about your last two posts :urg:

@DMG

Yeah I agree, the main problem people had with Mence and Chomp was the fact that it was a guaranteed kill on something of your opponents when played even slightly competently. I really didn't mind Latias too much in OU and felt she was kept in check enough, and I also had the same idea that they should let Chomp back in with Latias running around. I also have brought up the point many a times that Mence (in my eyes) is better than Chomp simply because he can boost his speed along with his attack and he even has intimidate which is also a pseudo defense boost.

The main problem with the dragons is when played smart they're a ***** to take down because you're always taking a huge risk trying to switch something in. Mence had a move for everything suitable enough to switch into it.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I said early stages as in, early stages of this undeveloped metagame. Sort of like when people still complained about Skarmbliss in the early days of 4th gen, and how people thought Weezing was the **** before the metagame developed more.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Metagame was pretty gay with Salamence in for so long, not gonna lie. Having a Sweeper that can threaten both Blissey and Skarmory is pretty gay lol.

heytallman

CTALL
Garchomp should still be legal, and with him still legal, Mence and Latias would probably still be legal.

Remember when they moved Manaphy down to OU for like, a day? ROFL

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well **** he's a wallbreaker, not a sweeper. Unless you are running priority on him, **** I'll go UU on you and send out Dugtrio LOL.

Infernape back in the day was pretty annoying as well. He was so **** versatile, Hidden Power to counter whatever, Close Combat, Fire Blast OR Flare Blitz, etc. If he wasn't that frail he would be ********.

I think Salamence overall is slightly weaker than Garchomp if you factor in Garchomp getting sandstorms. If you are having to roll the dice like that to counter a pokemon like Garchomp in sandstorm, that pokemon would be banned too likely. Salamence has the same counters as Garchomp minus a few "simple" ones like always being outsped by Starmie or Gengar or X pokemon with Ice Move. On the flop side, SR IS a big pain in the *** for him, and because he only boosts his Attack by 1 stage per turn, he couldn't outmuscle some of the same pokemon Garchomp crapped on with only 1 SD. Salamence also had "gimmick" counters for him like CS pokemon with Hidden Power Ice.

Idk, I think it's a combination of things that lead to him being too good:

1. Usual Dragon safe pick, the Steels, had to deal with Magnezone trapping.

2. Common Ice users were either frail, suspect to Pursuit, or had other fairly big shortcomings like being given the actual Ice Typing.

3. Speed became SO important of a stat when that gen arrived. CS became common on a lot of pokemon just to keep up. Which means setting up on Pokemon is easier because the odds of them being choiced are pretty high. Which plays right into the hands of Salamence pretty well.

4. Salamences counters in general are Pokemon most teams already have a plan for. Scizor for when he gets weak, Starmie, Gyarados, etc. You could generally find a way to stop his counters before they got to him because they were expected threats to the metagame anyways.

Like Salamence on his own, doesn't look that broken. But then you look at how the metagame developed, and he went from strong to top 2-3 threat and used Pokemon in the game consistently.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Play a REAL game...like Mario Paint!

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I kind of liked speed being so important. Made me feel special to have a choice scarfed Starmie back in the day (later replaced it for a choice scarfed azelf). You wouldn't believe how handy making something already fast even faster is.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Speed being that important made the metagame pretty gay though.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not fast enough frankly. Dragonite had access to stuff like Superpower and Heal Bell, and he was bulkier so you could defend better with him, but for the most part offensively Salamence outclassed him. Why DD sweep with Dragonite when you could have done the same with Salamence? If you ran a Mixed attacker set, you could do the same with Salamence with Brick Break/etc. and do better most of the time.

Dragonnite even NOW with Lat, Garchomp, and Salamence gone, will probably not get much love because his DD sweeps are stopped by something simple like Scarfed Flygon, and there are scarier mixed attackers out there for you to be worried about Dragonite. He's near the bottom of the barrel of OU, kinda like Heracross once people realized he was a slowpoke.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I ***** Lance with a Hidden Power Ice Alakazam

Lance needs a Tyranitar >:D

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
OoT sucks.
Sonic is way better, obv.

I mean, a Sonic beat a Toon Link at HOBO28. Proof right there.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You know nothing of my character until you use him, and only him, at a TX Dallas tournament.
Fixed. I summon Dphat, Sethlon in MK form, Infinity, and d4ba. You shall not pass

MK vs G&W is an incredibly gay matchup. G&W has nothing really safe on MK compared to other people who do 6:4ish like Wario against MK. I also LoL at the people who say G&W beats MK in the air when MK clearly beats him there. Uair beats Dair, Nair is well Nair, and the rest is G&W getting zoned out. Only good thing he has is Uair juggling (since Dair also outspaces his Nair) and that's something G&W can already do to anyone sluggish in the air like Snake.

On the ground... it's a flat out joke. You could beat G&W with tilts, walk back Fsmash, and if he can finally get past all of that, shield to Upb.

Bad matchup is bad.

Suspect

Smash Hero
You know nothing of my character until you use him, and only him, at a TX tournament.
Fixed. I summon Dphat, Sethlon in MK form, Infinity, and d4ba. You shall not pass

MK vs G&W is an incredibly gay matchup. G&W has nothing really safe on MK compared to other people who do 6:4ish like Wario against MK. I also LoL at the people who say G&W beats MK in the air when MK clearly beats him there. Uair beats Dair, Nair is well Nair, and the rest is G&W getting zoned out. Only good thing he has is Uair juggling (since Dair also outspaces his Nair) and that's something G&W can already do to anyone sluggish in the air like Snake.

On the ground... it's a flat out joke. You could beat G&W with tilts, walk back Fsmash, and if he can finally get past all of that, shield to Upb.

Bad matchup is bad.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287442&highlight=phase

Placed higher than all the other dallas people including 3 mk's (4 if sethlon used him a bit)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285278&highlight=phase

won the tournament

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=283752&highlight=phase

won the tournament

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Dear Friend,

I did not forget your effort, sincerity courage and trustworthiness you showed at the course of the transaction, Now i am using this opportunity to compensate you and show my gratitude to you with the sum of 8,00,00 (Eight Hundred Thousand United States Dollars).

I have authorized my secretary where I deposited my money to issue your international certified bank draft cashable at your bank. My dear friend I will like you to contact the finance house for the collection of this international certified bank draft. The name and contact of the Person with your Cheque is as follows.

COMPENSATION AND FINANCE HOUSE HEAD OFFICE
CONTACT PERSON: Mrs Ajara Moussa
EMAIL: secretaryajara@yahoo.com

Just manage this little token please for your job well-done.

Remember I will not have chance to check my mail because of the project I have at hand with my new partner in Dubai

Once again I say CONGRATULATION,

Yours sencely
Mr Brice Musa

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The only pros from Sonic 2006 were the Music, and the Blaze the Cat levels (because those were the only levels that were pretty much completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom