• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
*loves being amazing*

8 metas in the top 12.

1: ADHD (Diddy)
2: Mew2King '(MK)
3: Ally (MK/Snake)
4: KSizzle (MK/Lucario)
5: Shadow 111 (MK/Wario)
5: Judge (MK/Wario?)
7: Havok (MK/Marth?)
7: Logic (Olimar)
9: Lee Martin (MK/Lucario)
9: Seibrik (MK)
9: Ninjalink (Diddy/ROB?)
9: lain (ICs/D3?)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
*loves being amazing*

8 metas in the top 12.

1: ADHD (Diddy)
2: Mew2King '(MK)
3: Ally (MK/Snake)
4: KSizzle (MK/Lucario)
5: Shadow 111 (MK/Wario)
5: Judge (MK/Wario?)
7: Havok (MK/Marth?)
7: Logic (Olimar)
9: Lee Martin (MK/Lucario)
9: Seibrik (MK)
9: Ninjalink (Diddy/ROB?)
9: lain (ICs/D3?)
So what? He didn't win, and besides M2K and Seibrik none of them went all MK. But I'm pretty sure Seibrik threw some D3 in there somewhere.

Xyro77

You dont get it nor do u know the pro ban argument so i wont bother answering you. You have known NOTHING since day one.

Xyro77

You STILL dont know thier argument and thier reasoning. If you did, you would know its not about WINNING tournies(but if they do it only makes it more clear). Search the pro ban thread and read up.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I've read, hence me being pro-ban to begin with. I thought they had a good argument on paper, but I've seen for myself that MK isn't ban worthy. Just because he's popular doesn't make him ban worthy.

EVEN with the countries best MKs at Pound he couldn't come away with 1st place.

It's like any competitive fighting game, the best characters are going to be the most popular. Chun Li in 3S; Sagat in SF4; Cable, Sentinel, etc. in MvC2; Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth in Melee; and so on.

Sure MK is the best but he's no where close to being ban worthy, he's just popular not invincible.

He's not going to get banned because he shouldn't be banned, so there's no point in *****ing over it. It's a useless argument.

Since Whobo, MK has won only ONE Houston tournament. Who has won the majority? Snake and Diddy. You may think people get "gayed" by MK and that he "steals wins", but from the people placing where it matters who actually gets gayed by MK or has their win stolen?

Xyro77

I've read, hence me being pro-ban to begin with. I thought they had a good argument on paper, but I've seen for myself that MK isn't ban worthy. Just because he's popular doesn't make him ban worthy.

EVEN with the countries best MKs at Pound he couldn't come away with 1st place.

It's like any competitive fighting game, the best characters are going to be the most popular. Chun Li in 3S; Sagat in SF4; Cable, Sentinel, etc. in MvC2; Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth in Melee; and so on.

Sure MK is the best but he's no where close to being ban worthy, he's just popular not invincible.

He's not going to get banned because he shouldn't be banned, so there's no point in *****ing over it. It's a useless argument.

Since Whobo, MK has won only ONE Houston tournament. Who has won the majority? Snake and Diddy. You may think people get "gayed" by MK and that he "steals wins", but from the people placing where it matters who actually gets gayed by MK or has their win stolen?

What i am about to say is literally what EVERYBODY sees but REFUSES to accept. MORE AND MORE people are MAINING/2nding metaknight. Me and trela were talkin about this and its really really funny. Put your bull **** aside, get real and read below.

If meta WASNT the best character in the game(to a point where hes broken), why are SO many people maining/2nd meta? Why do you see results like pound 4 where 8 of the top 12 2nd or main meta? Why do you see people like lee and atmosk who originally wanted meta banned switch sides and now MAIN or heavily use him? Why did ally switched to meta and WIN events with meta and not even use tornado? Why did esca/ bear/ p4/ sethlon/ dphat/ royr/ utd zac and countless more switch to meta knight as thier main/2nd? Why did gnes and razer threaten or consider to pick up metaknight after Winter Fest? Why did trela( a lesser player) beat Lee Martin's(the BEST lucario and a PRO player) MAIN with meta at Last 4? Why were the ledge stalling/plainking rules originally created(here is a hint, it wasnt cause of gw)? Why was the "stage gliding/scrooging" rule created(here is a hint, it wasnt cause of pit or charizard? Why were ledge grab limits created? Why do we LITERALLY have to BAN a WIDE variety of stages? Why did you see 3-4 public polls asking if meta should be banned and ALL 3-4 said yes? Why does meta have ZERO bad match-ups and stages(at best it becomes EVEN)? Why has metaknight DOMINATED on annkoku's charts by a MASSIVE amount for over a year and a half? Why does it take the "exception to the rule" to beat meta once or twice and then a few tournaments down the line meta wins like normal?

Do you STILL not see it? Are you seriosuly THAT supid? Put the BS aside, wake the **** up.

Now im gonna get real for a second. I know why people main metaknight. I know why dumb people like ozz keep debating wether he should main/2nd meta. They realize that Its pretty nice to know that half the cast has next to nothing that can beat your meta. Metaknight requires the LEAST amount of work of ANY character in this game. He can be played VERY agressive and VERY defensive and NEITHER style is bad. He is the BEST gimper in the game. He can ALWAYS play gayer than ANY of the people hes fighting(leave just ONE SIMPLE rule out and you lose, right gnes/meep?). He can get you wins you NORMALY would lose had you gone your MAIN. He has 6 jumps/2 glides/4 B moves that can ALL get you back to the stage. His moves all come out fast and end fast and MOST of his moves have trans-priority(meaning it doesnt 'clank" with other moves, it just beats them). Tornado spam(need i say more). He can KO, build damage and play the game like it was built to be CAMPY/SPAMY/DEFENSIVE and it REWARDS him for doing so. Lets be honest, without the few "exceptions to the rule" you MUST main or 2nd metaknight to get ANY where near the money in tournaments.....which means he is the character that has the BEST chances of winning money/fame. And obviously, this is what people want more than anything now days. The john of "meta is just FUN to play" is common sense...with all of this^ at your beck and call you bet hes fun.

This is why i HATE metaknight and it is why he will ALWAYS be banned or restricted in Houston(as long as i am running events). It is ALSO why meta is the best and will STAY the best. Seriosuly, if you do not see this, you are truly a nut case.

PS: notice i never said he WINS the majority of events. also notice i never said hes unbeatable.

Trela

Smash Lord
My cousin's Birthday was yesterday.

She got the best present a person could get: Pound 4's Brawl Results. She's really happy now, don't ya think? I'm happy for her present, too, of course.

Btw, won't be far long until M2K learns Diddy. He's saying the same things he said about Snake with Ally after Apex and Genesis.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I think you should ban a character if the character is unbeatable. Not because he's the easiest to pick up and do decently with.

Esca

Smash Champion
This is why Xyro is mad, as should any veteran be.

Allan has been playing Smash Brothers for 7+ years, am I correct? He's mad because someone who has been playing 1 year (Me, Bear, etc.) can beat him with MK. This isn't to say we can't beat him with other characters *cough* Ohsnap *cough*. He thinks people who play MK don't have skill, which is obviously not the case, he's just too dumb, stupid, ignorant, thick-headed, close-minded to realize this.

Picture Allan like your normal household dog. He used to be cute and fun to play with, but eventually he gets lazy and arthritis starts to wear on him. He's getting old and can't maneuver as well, thus making him less enjoyable for this children.

Picture MK mains as the new puppy. He's entergetic and fun to be around and brings new enjoyment to the children, (who are OBVIOUSLY the main focus when getting a pet). They're fun to be around and they sometimes clumsily play with the old dog. The old dog then gets pissed, but he can't do anything, he's too lazy to do anything about it. The little dog continues to pester the old dog with his antics, playfulness, etc. The old dog one day decides to build up energy and bite back. This frightens the puppy, but the puppy isn't phased and continues. The old dog then accepts defeat and realizes he's lost.

This is "The Situation".

Now Allan, go ahead and john that you play a horrible character so you can feel a little bit better about yourself, because that's all you do. If you're sick of losing, play a better character. If not, quit trying to justify that PoS you play by banning good ones.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@Esca: Dear heavens you're dumb. Or drunk.
Whichever fits best.

I mean, you DID main Pit once upon a time...

Xyro77

kalo, that made less sense than esca's post but i REALLY wanna understand this one. explain,plz.

Ankoku said:
So I did a quick count of the character representation in Pound 4 brackets Brawl and it looked kinda interesting.

Code:
Meta Knight	||||||||||||.	12.5
Diddy Kong	|||||.		5.5
Snake		|||||.		5.5
King Dedede	||||		4
Wario		||.		2.5
Lucario		||		2
Kirby		||		2
Falco		||		2
Toon Link	||		2
Marth		||		2
Donkey Kong	|.		1.5
Olimar		|		1
Ice Climbers	|		1
Ness		|		1
Luigi		|		1
Peach		|		1
Bowser		.		.5
Jigglypuff	.		.5
ROB		.		.5

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
its a motivational picture not a ****in encyclopedia

bein more afraid of a character than a brilliant player sucks

if we stopped after the first two years and banned ken then there would be no satisfaction

overcoming metaknight in the future will be its own reward

again,

its not supposed to be taken as a straightforward prime example of whats going on in brawl

its to show that the smash community can do it

melee taught us to fight and overcome.

even tho our tools suck now and we all dont have that intensity anymore that the new guys like ozz and esca have

i believe a way to shut down mk will be found

Xyro77

its a motivational picture not a ****in encyclopedia

bein more afraid of a character than a brilliant player sucks

if we stopped after the first two years and banned ken then there would be no satisfaction

overcoming metaknight in the future will be its own reward

again,

its not supposed to be taken as a straightforward prime example of whats going on in brawl

its to show that the smash community can do it

melee taught us to fight and overcome.

even tho our tools suck now and we all dont have that intensity anymore that the new guys like ozz and esca have

i believe a way to shut down mk will be found

The one who over came ken(marth/fox) was ANOTHER marth/fox.....m2k. No one over came m2k. He moved on to brawl and became rusty at melee which allowed others like Hbox and mango who dont really care about brawl to skyrocket in the melee scene.

One of the key arguments to the pro-ban side is the overcentralization of metaknight. And its coming true(like we said since the beginning). Excluding the exception to the rule(adhd) you MUST main or at least 2nd metaknight. Just look around you, nearly everybody now days is 2nding or maining meta. Even you kalo.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
thats true i do use MK sometimes

when the real problems i have with brawl

DDD ICE CLIMBERS AND FALCO

are chaingrabbing me

ima use the equilizer

im sure this is why a decent portion of the mk users use mk

Xyro77

There are other ways to be those 3(pika for both ddd/falco. falco for ddd. marth for falco. snake/diddy for ICs) and you know it. But you picked meta(for obvious reason)..........which leads back to my original massive post.

Thats my whole point. People in the back room are starting to see this now. Im kinda happy.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
yeah well allan i know all this and i used to argue on the pro ban side all day

theres just so many problems going on with this game

and pokemon has critical hits therefor is mario kart/mario party/carebear status so who cares

and ur right the CGers have counters, to beat a CGer you have to play campy and gay.

which is what everyone who doesnt play as mk does.

ugh

i really do not mind the game and its probably on my top 5 favorite fighting games

there is really just too many problems with this community

Xyro77

Below is about pound 4.......

Found this fascinating, particularly in regards to the people discussing overcentralization in regards to Metaknight:

- Of the 48 players in the brackets, 14 were some kind of Metaknight player (~29%)
- Of those 14, 9 of them made it into the top 12 (64% of Metaknights made it into the top 12)
- Looking at that another way: Of the top 12, 9 of them were Metaknights (75%)
- Going up another stage: Of the top 9, 7 of them were Metaknights (~77%)
- Up one stage further: Of the top 7, 5 of them were Metaknights (~71%)
- Up again: Of the top 5, 4 of them were Metaknights (80%)
- Finally: Of the top 3, 2 of them were Metaknights (66%)

This if course counts anyone with a Metaknight/Other in their name as a part of the Metaknight contingent. If top 5 got paid, that means that Metaknight took 80% of the paid positions, which is pretty significant.

Now compare that to Snake and Diddy

- Of the 48 players in the brackets 6 of them were Snake and 6 of them were Diddy (~12% each)
- Of those 6 each, only 1 Snake and 2 Diddys made it into the top 12 (~16% and 33%)
- Turning that around, of the top 12, 1 was Snake and 2 were Diddy (~8% and 16%, or if you care to combine them, about 25% for both)
- Diddy and Snake each crack into the top 3 for 33% each, or if you count Ally as MK/Snake, ~16% and 33%

So not only is Metaknight more popular, the character far, far more valuable by weighting as well. Nearly double the % of of Metaknights broke into the top 12 about about triple into the top 5.
Originally quoted from an ANTI-ban(i will not name drop) who now sees the TRUTH! The facts do not lie, kalo.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i ****in know dude

im not even really arguing im just saying that this game/crowd/metagame is so ****in lame that even with mk gone itll still suck

im really only anti ban cuz he has no cg ,or projectile, and his hitboxes make sense

im not saying that doesnt mean he isnt ridiculously good,im just saying he isnt a big ****ing gimmick like almost everyone else

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Scizor isn't banned. MK shouldn't be.
Awesome quote, first of all. And he's true to boot. You see a Scizor, it's an easy assumption that you're either going to lose at least one Pokemon OR your tank is gonna get hit really, really hard. There are counters, but not many HARD counters, and even those counters can lose due to luck.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
scizor has over 15 counters tallman just sucks

EDIT : tallman you dont suck,everyone who plays pokemon now sucks
for those of you who dont know,the pokemon metagame turned into a sort of brawl like affair and nobody good plays because there is no competitive scructure,kinda like brawl again

marth had 3 weaknesses

frame disadvantage to shine (everyone had this)

moderate recovery issues

shiek ,only because marth is weak from below and his moderate recovery issue

well shines suck mk has a dair and every b move recovers better than anything marth ever had so its obvious sakurais son,mk, was designed to be the best

they did alot of stuff to try to keep this game non competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom