• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Teshie U

Smash Lord
[Fish]
Here is my 3DS FC btw guys: 0920-0369-4159 I'm down to struggle through these awful 3DS stages if anyone want to practice.

Xyro, your ruleset doesn't say when custom moves fall into counterpicking. I think its just part of picking your character in any phase, but you should specify it anyway.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I don't know how to word it. I'm still working on it.

Just another reason why custom moves suck ****

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That is another thing to consider. If you allow people to change moves between matches, need to put a definite time limit.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
You have 8 custom characters slot. If you don't have all your possible choices set up....well f you suck and deserve to lose.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
KRD, you know you can sort of control how you bounce right? You can hold back and bounce back super far away.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Bouncing Fish has so much ending lag if you miss though, and some characters can punish you if you hit their shield with it and bounce off. Kinda makes me nervous.

:059:
You have to combo into it. A string of f-airs into a Bouncing Fish, for example.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
lmfao @ krd complaining about sheik
character is easily top tier

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
shiek can have a tough time killing if she doesn't gimp you early, but then she throws needles and gets bouncing fish fresh and u die.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You have to combo into it. A string of f-airs into a Bouncing Fish, for example.
Oh, you can combo into it? That sounds pretty nice.

lmfao @ krd complaining about sheik
character is easily top tier
Her being top tier or not has nothing to do with her kill potential. Look at Marth in Melee. Top tier. Horrible time trying to get a kill if he doesn't combo into the kill early on. And it's more of a case of her being different from what I was used to in Brawl, and that it'll take a while to get used to. I never said she's bad.

:059:

z00ted

i think she can kill better than like 70% of the cast though :<
idk i didn't mean to say complain lol didn't mean to be derogatory more like shiek's SO GOOD

also nice pic razer

Last edited:

Tesh

Smash Hero
i liked the restaurant quote. its perfect and exactly the point so many whiners have missed. clones are just a small bonus. and there is no suggestions that he feels the roster is unfinished

yea, bouncing fish is not a move to be used at neutral to kill. thats not how sheik operates anyway. its a swift punish or something you combo with

pick customs as you pick your character. if you add another alternating step it kind of lets people get around being cped. customs are part of your chracter and are part of that phase.

common sense rules for fiddling with customs. no more than 60 seconds to cp and select moves.

z00ted

TRAINING CUSTOM MOVESET

TO THIS..............

(ONLY OLD GENS WILL UNDERSTAND)

Last edited:

Xyro77

Tesh, what? So pick customs as you pick youR initial character and then repick customs when it is you time to CP characters? You have 60seconds?
What section should I put ^ that in and how exactly should I word it?

Illmatic, I think I get it. It means either

1. I should stop touching myself to WiiFitGirl pics and start doing it to music.

Or

2. People say maining wiifitgirl wont last but as the week (code name for time) goes on, the love/relationship grows and by Saturday (the future) she will be your main and you will show the rest what's up.

Or

3. EVERYBOOOOOODY SAID IT WILL NEVER LAAAAAST. SAID THAT IM DREAMIN AND IM GOIN TO FAAAAAST. OH YOU WONT BELIEVE US WHEN YOU HEAR WHAT YOU HEAR. I SAID YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaah

SATURDAY NIGHT!

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I think the Google Spreadsheet would be very useful in maintaining the Houston Friend Code List. Do you have a link? I can make some tweaks where it needs fit?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Customs are simply part of picking your character.

If its a double blind pick, you reveal your characters AND customs at the same time to a 3rd party.

When its time to CP:
1-Winner bans
2-Loser CPs stage
3-Winner chooses character and customs
4-loser chooses character and customs.

If you were to add another phase, it takes more away from the CPer (unless thats something we WANT to do) as they might have their CP stage/character mitigated by different customs. Better to just keep it simple for now anyway.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I honestly think if you decide to use a custom move, you MUST reveal this to your opponent. I'm not sure what the current ruleset is for other regions, but I feel like this is something that is needed.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yes, you reveal it with your character during ANY phase. In double blind and counterpicking you must show your custom moves before the match begins certainly.

Some people have argued that pokemon doesn't do this, so why should we, but honestly that game has 0 execution (well i've heard of people clicking the wrong move :/ ) so holding back specific information is all you have outside of basic reads. There are benefits to either method, but I prefer full disclosure since we need to verify there is no equipment on anyway.

Has anyone tested the "random" function for customs setups? Does it put equipment on? If it does, obviously we ban it, but if it only gives random custom moves, we should allow it just the same as random picking a character.

Xyro, I trust you've been keeping an eye on new discoveries and whatnot. Do you have any opinion on stalling with wall-clings?

Xyro77

I agree on the revealing of custom moves. I'll try and word it write and have it added in tonight. Thanks, guys.

As for wall cling, they don't uncling after 3sec? If not, thats a stalling issue. I have rules for that already but its that old vague "if it halts game play or makes the game unplayable it's considered stalling."
I'll edit it and say "no wall clinging for more than 3 seconds."

In melee peach could pick a low spot on a wall near the blast zone peach bomb the wall multiple times in a row to stall and run the timer so we had to make a rule for it. This cling thing is kinda the same.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Random function does add equipment. Try making a custom character and select random.

As for wallclinging, no one will be able to sufficiently stall with it. Are you sure you don't fall off automatically? You automatically fell off in Brawl and start losing height after a certain number of walljumps without landing. The only stages that can be wallclinged are the FD stages with walls (reg FD does not have any), Yoshi's Island, and parts of Arena Ferox. I think that is it. Brinstar no longer allows it.

I'll test it tonight.

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Yo Allan, I just had a random thought. Whatever happened to Roy_R? Is that man still around? He was never that interested in Brawl, any idea if he's trying out Smash 4? I've been trying out Captain Falcon, and I was reminded of his sick Melee Falcon.

Last edited:

z00ted

^old as fish and i agree w/ you guys on all that custom move stuff
allan, you were digging so deep into the lyrics LOL. i just loved jamming out to that song w/ wii fit i felt it... FIT LMAOOOO!!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's cute, but it will never happen. Once you allow any sort of equipment, you'll open the gateway for all sorts of dumb discussions.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It is a symbol of true evil, just like a Lego block for parents.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe

Xyro77

Equipment will NEVER be considered by me. I would rather go back to brawl than to allow more bull ****.

Razer, change that demonic avatar.

RT, please test it.

Haptic, RoyR played brawl for about 2-3 years. He's married and finished school. He's all about real life now :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, you can wallcling on the same wall 3 times before you fall to your death. And considering how safe most of the walls are in this game, it's not worth even trying in a real match because you can still get footstooled. No one ever got stalled out in Brawl from wallclings, and it certainly will never happen here unless you're BAD.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
well its covered in stalling, i just wanted to know what you think. wall clinging doesnt degenerate so you can easily spend a good 20-30 seconds down there on 1 ledge grab.

Top Bottom