• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Not sure if Houston needs another TO for Smash 4 at this point. I know Houston is big, but a united scene is important for future growth.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
GGs is not the place you wanna go for smash 4. They treat it as a side event.
I agree, which is why I talked to Mojo about that. Told him he needs to appeal more to the popular/newest game cause attendance would greatly increase if it was more Smash 4 oriented. Told him to focus it more but we'll see what he decides to do.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Eh, I've seen the Houston Melee scene openly dislike the game. Melee/PM is the focus for those events, so I probably won't be going to an event that puts Smash 4 on the back burner. That's just me.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
GG's does treat it like a side event but it is a decent enough spot to go for practice when there is a tourney drought like there has been this month.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Denti and ALSM did diddy dittos in GFs at that Tyler TX tournament.

22 singles
8 teams

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Diddy is love.

Diddy is life.

Know Diddy and you shall be set free of your sins and unlock the path to enlightenment. We love you, Diddy.

We...looooooooooooooove....youuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
If you wanna handle diddy i think you need at least 1 projectile and a good jab.

Alternatively an equally scary grab game, but I don't think anyone else has that.

And yea Gaius, I am watching this Weegee wreck diddy kongs.

J Miller resets the bracket with a good looking 3-1

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm really glad he wound up taking it vs Sheik. Would have been sad to see him counter the Diddy and then get camped out. Cyve's sheik was pretty good, but he was definitely laming it out alot and Miller was super patient and clutch when it mattered.

Xyro77

I'm at work so I can't see it.

What does Luigi do to counter diddy? Combo well? Interupt Dthrow to UAIR combos?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
His fireballs and Luigi Missile go through peanuts. While lacking reach, some of his attacks are safe on shield (i.e. usmash). His trip animation is loooong, and Luigi is slippery as well. His floatiness might actually help him. And the biggest part is that Luigi also has combo/kill setups from dthrow (nair, bair, DownB, UpB).

But keep in mind that the Luigi was also playing very patient.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Diddy's close range game has only 2 really viable options. Dtilt and Grab. His jab doesn't cancel remotely well, his other tilts are laggy and the disjoint doesn't help close range. Aerial OoS is for quick punishing, but they themselves are pretty punishable.

Luigi has a good jab game, great short hop aerials, Upsmash looks safe on shield tbh. He also has a grab game that can make Diddy rethink getting close all the time. He can also fight back in the air pretty well. Most characters can reset at best when Diddy goes for aerial combos, while luigi might just lay down a combo of his own.

I didn't mean that Luigi actually counters Diddy as a character, but the mindless dash grab spamming we are seeing right now. I think a Diddy walling with Fairs and Bairs could give Luigi a rough time.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, a patient Diddy would still beat a patient Luigi. Or rather, a Diddy that is smart and keeps his uair relatively fresh.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I agree, throw your Diddy amiibo away.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Finally got a TV for tourneys. Phase two is complete.

Last edited:

Xyro77

i know I sound like I'm generalizing (maybe I am?) but it appears that characters with

1. Jab combo finisher (or jab that leads to combo)

2. Grabs (not tethers) that lead to a guaranteed hit out of a throw

3. Fast movement

4. Projectiles

Assuming both players know MUs, characters with those attributes seems to be the only viable ones in the game.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
What about Sonic
I don't think he has grab followups and I guess his spring is a projectile but that's a stretch

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
For sure, anyone with a killthrows/kill out of a throw setup are pretty much going to be good. So characters like Diddy, Luigi, and Ness will always be good at this point, because they will always have the guaranteed option. They also have other good qualities.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No results yet for Smash 4's BEAST 5 but a Luigi apparently got 1st. Not buying it until I see if there's a secondary or not. Also knowing who else was there since apparently Leffen was one of the top 3 there.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
No results yet for Smash 4's BEAST 5 but a Luigi apparently got 1st. Not buying it until I see if there's a secondary or not. Also knowing who else was there since apparently Leffen was one of the top 3 there.
Luigi named J.Miller was first, no secondary. Leffen was third.
Leffen got first in Melee as well with Armada second and Mango third.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
That's pretty cool. Give me hope about Link. Though I've yet to play a good Diddy yet... Of that list, Link only has combos out of jab and projectiles.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Jabs beat grabs, but grabbing means diddy cant just sit in shield all the time up close.

Speed is somewhat important for dealing with roll aways but its not that essential as rollers give up the entire stage in no time anyway.

Sonic is a projectile.

Top Bottom