• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

Diglob

Smash Cadet
Definitely, Gar. Also really easy to organize stuff because of the chat and just being able to post events in the group.

This thread should be maintained for the public, though. Can't hope to expand Houston Melee if we can't be found.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
popular? what you talkin' about the last post was about a month ago.

and I think it is pretty weird, but I'm willing to go there to raise awareness!
I was speaking in terms of the number of people that joined.

And I still don't see why it should be weird...

Sybawave

Smash Ace
no i have not been added to the facebook group. thats a shame really, houston melee is becoming more and more...distant. how are we gonna get new faces if smashboards is deserted =[ also using facebook for smash is weird.
That just made my day lol...I can't believe someone actually said that and meant it.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Kevin lives in the Memorial City area actually.

You're not alive unless you join the FB group because this thread is dead.

Smashfest was fun lol I'm not sure when the next one is going to be. We'll have to ask around in the FB thread. And you won't get me, Dawn.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Hi.

I'm going to be spending 2 months in houston starting next sunday and would like to know if there are regular tournies in the city and who I should contact to play.

I'm not going to have a car so I can only travel by public transportation.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
see guys

this is why

this thread should be maintained

also ya grinin were you able to arrange for anything, like a tournament at your friends place again sometime? :)

also is it a good idea to put a link to the facebook page on here? *sigh

Jake13

Smash Lord
FB group is by INVITE only. also it only applies to current Houstonians.

and the thread is just as active as ever. Only me and von don't spam it as much with random BS, that's what FB is for

We have weekly smashfests (sometimes twice a week) at the University of Houston on Saturdays (and sometimes Wednesdays)

that's where the tourney will most likely be held baka.

also, WELCOME NEW COMER! elf, what part of Houston will you be residing in? We have smashers spread all throughout the city so it won't be hard to find someone to play you. post your contact info and we will barrage you with texts n whatnot. if you don't wanna give that ish away just post on here and keep us updated so we can keep you updated.

Andrew, you work 5 min from my house and oscar's house. If you hook it up with a phone number or full name (for FB) we can get things started

baka4moé

Smash Champion
oh ****! tournament at UH on a saturday! weekly smashfests! it's not as good as weekly tournaments, but i'm still super hyped now! :D

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Hi.

I'm going to be spending 2 months in houston starting next sunday and would like to know if there are regular tournies in the city and who I should contact to play.

I'm not going to have a car so I can only travel by public transportation.
This sounds like it could be Wobbles on another account..wasn't Wobbles supposed to be here around the same time frame?

Where are you going to be staying in Houston?? We'll be happy to play with you.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I will be living on the Texas Medical Center campus. They say they are located about a 2-3 minute walk from The University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center and The Methodist Hospital.

Oh and my tag is Mr. F btw, not wobbles. Although that would be awesome if he was coming the same time I am.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
ooo Mr. F, I saw your name in the Zenith results ^_^ lol.

how big was that tourney anyway? like, including pools?

hopefully i'll get to play you, i'll only be in houston for 3 weeks, and it's always fun to play new people.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
I will be living on the Texas Medical Center campus. They say they are located about a 2-3 minute walk from The University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center and The Methodist Hospital.

Oh and my tag is Mr. F btw, not wobbles. Although that would be awesome if he was coming the same time I am.
there's 2 people around the rice area (alex and hannah) that should be interested in playing. that should be fairly close to the med center.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Just to let everyone know, TYS Bar Fights 3 will be on July 2 so everyone get ready cause this 1 will be bigger and better. Cant wait ^_^ Will create thread shortly!

-Ran

Smash Master
Actually, the reason would probably be distance Johns. To get to Austin, it requires eight and a half hours from New Orleans, or close to seven from Baton Rouge. The pull for your tournament was thirty players, with no attempt to help facilitate travel for out of state. I'm currently looking into getting a side pot if someone from out of state manages to win Melee, most likely from my own bank account if I can't find a sponsor.

I moved the venue from New Orleans to to Baton rouge, so it would be an hour closer to Texas [and more centrally located in our state.] Rather than having to drive almost six hours to reach the tournament, it'll only be four hour sand forty minutes for you gentlemen. This is significantly different than driving to Austin. Already, after minor hyping, the tournament is at almost 30 players per game [with $15 dollar entry fees], with still two entire months of advertising to come.

I suppose as they say, if you feel that we're a weak state, come and take our money. The pot size is already closing it at four hundred and fifty dollars.

Jake13

Smash Lord
it's not about the size of the pot, but on the amount of competition.

you get at least 45 and i'll think about going.

or if you got PP or some shiz

MT_

Smash Ace
AZ drove to Austin, like a 10 hour drive if I recall correctly. Furthermore, a handful of Houston players had attended a previous LA tournament and were expecting LA to return the favor but ended up not following through (though that was a combination of us forgetting to remind you guys more than a week in advance).

-Ran

Smash Master
it's not about the size of the pot, but on the amount of competition.

you get at least 45 and i'll think about going.

or if you got PP or some shiz
Interested for now =)
Looks like things are shaping up. If the tournament continues to grow in size, then PP will be coming. If you guys add yourselves into the tournament thread, this will probably start to boom out of control. ;d

Jake13

Smash Lord
Road to Genesis II!

Hey guys! Oscar, Mike and myself are planning on attending genesis. It is going to be the tourney of the year... dare i say decade! I think its an ample opportunity to get Htown out there and get everyone some big tourney EXP
those of you looking for a trip this summer, should look no further.
The trip would be from the day before to the day after. (July 14th - July 18th)
I've done all the math and looked at hotel/plane/transportation/tournament prices and its has come out like this: if it is just us 3, it will cost $610 per person, if one more person goes it will be $535 per person (and since we can have as many ppl as we want in a room, the price only gets cheaper with more peeps).

the breakdown looks like this:
flight (400)*
room (280 for four nights)
tourney fees (65 for EVERYTHING)
total: (745)

*this is a rough breakdown rounding up from 380
**remember the room rate is divided by how many ppl we get to go
[with 4 ppl its 70 per person, with 5 its 56, 6 is 47, 7 is 40 and 8 is 35]

and there you have it folks, the prices of Genesis II
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284863

Deadline for reg is June 30th.

You have a month to decide!

also, -ran: good ****, one step closer to getting htown to show up!

Top Bottom