• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holy crap japan... haha wow.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
If that wasn't lightning brawl then this video makes me want to get better at this game. Sooooo good. That or pick up a fast character...:laugh:

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I laughed at that too. Japan isn't ten times better then us. The match itself is kinda subpar as well, and it's also been circulating around the boards already.

oscarmayerweiner

Smash Rookie
Okay, so i'm a little confused.
i've seen this vid on like 5 sites, and every time, somebody says "it's just fast, but there's so many holes."
can somebody point out the SPECIFIC holes?? i'm not that good, but i dno't see that much stuff wrong with it.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I laughed at that too. Japan isn't ten times better then us. The match itself is kinda subpar as well, and it's also been circulating around the boards already.
Though they weren't 'ten times' as good and though the match had some fundamentals they missed, at least it was entertaining. Unlike the matches from the U.S. I see that are like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECew6wDH98

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Main thing I took out of that was the use of empty-short hops. It worked for them!
I've been using empty-short hops since Melee. Nothing new here.

They're just as fast as us, because we're playing the same game. They may be faster than you though. I don't know. I've never seen you play.

They aren't bad, but they aren't anywhere near 10x as good as us.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
It is surprising just how few people visit the Brawl Videos and Other Media board.
This video has been there for more than three weeks.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
It was entertaining. But then after watching the video again, I realized: Both of them are running into obvious set-ups and don't even seem to care. Maybe that's why Western smash matches are so boring. We DO care. If its advantageous to camp, roll spam, etc we do it.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
This is lightning brawl mode.
Proof?

**** I swear, some people just don't want to accept anything that comes out of brawl.

Those players are by far 10x better than any Brawl Pro that has vids on the internet.

Watch the video and learn what you can from it instead of trying to find reasons why it doesn't make brawl good.

This video is a perfect example of how you don't need AT's to make a game good for competition.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I don't think they're really better than us. I think it's a combination of the following things(most of which people have said)

1) Empty short hops with fast fall. They just seem faster that way cause they're constantly moving faster. Even if there's not point to them(well I guess seeming faster intimidates the opponent).

2) As PK hexagon said, they run into a lot of set ups...and they don't care. That has a lot to do with just their play-style. Only thing is, is their representing those two players, or all of japan. Think about that for a second since this IS just two players.

3) Kinda similar to point two, they're both incredibly aggressive. Not only that but fox and falco are generally seen as faster characters with moves that are a bit less laggy. It's like putting two fast characters in a small box with nowhere to space themselves. That's what they're doing, not giving themselves, or each other space. That's mainly just because they're BOTH incredibly aggressive. The disadvantage to that is they're running into so many set ups. The other thing is, if one of them weren't as aggressive, I doubt the match would go half as fast, just because the other person would probably try and space themselves a lot more, forcing a lot more "approaching" to occur. They approach each other like...5 times in the match cause they're constantly next to each other. In most games here, a lot of characters DEPEND on forcing the other to approach.

Anyways, just some thoughts on it. I don't think they're better, so much as trying to seem faster.

Honestly I think they just miss their good ol', fast melee. =b (who doesn't though? lol)

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Proof?

**** I swear, some people just don't want to accept anything that comes out of brawl.

Those players are by far 10x better than any Brawl Pro that has vids on the internet.

Watch the video and learn what you can from it instead of trying to find reasons why it doesn't make brawl good.

This video is a perfect example of how you don't need AT's to make a game good for competition.
wow calm down, it was obviously a joke <_<

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
More aggressive doesn't equal better, especially not ten times better, even if it's more entertaining to watch.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
All they're doing is throwing every attack under the sun at each other. "Better" involves being able to not get hit, not being able to trade more hits per second than the US.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I couldnt last 10 seconds with these guys
God, thats Crazy

Foxy

Smash Master
Though they weren't 'ten times' as good and though the match had some fundamentals they missed, at least it was entertaining. Unlike the matches from the U.S. I see that are like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECew6wDH98
These Japanese players would look like that if they were playing for money.

Also, I don't really understand how you guys think they look fast. They're not really great, neither would last long against a US pro. The only thing that looked fast was the ESH's, which aren't even very useful with anyone but Fox. They made a lot of mistakes.

skrach8

Smash Lord
the truth is that japan players are alot more honorable then noob american players. THEY DONT PLAY GAY. They actually try to be creative and dont just spam. They've always been like that. Even in melee. They have, whats the word im looking for, honor.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
the truth is that japan players are alot more honorable then noob american players. THEY DONT PLAY GAY. They actually try to be creative and dont just spam. They've always been like that. Even in melee. They have, whats the word im looking for, honor.
Maybe that's why they come away from international tourneys with a pat on the back and a gold star for "Most Honorable Playstyle" while the Americans come away with a victory and a heap of prize money.

But seriously this thread is scrub central. 10X better than who now?

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
That wasn't fast Brawl. It may have been heavy Brawl based on their jump heights, but it definately wasn't lightning mode.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
wow. look at you..getting all defensive. grow up. (aimed at the people who feel the need to defend their country -___-)

awesome match. if more people played like this maybe brawl would be a little bit more entertaining, not that it already isn't.

shanus

Smash Hero
i see nothing special here. Hype less please? Empty short hops is nothing new, nor are old vids :-P

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
regardless of lightning or high gravity it doesn't change the fact that they are OK players at best just trying to look cool but not actually being really good. The match was interesting but interesting doesn't win a match. They attacked A LOT but lots of attacks doesn't mean good especially if they don't hit or you get nailed in the process. The objective of Brawl is to kill your opponent while remaining alive, not both die at the same time a hope to god a bobomb lands on your opponent in SD.
That doesn't mean their isn't something to be learned here.

Lesson #1: If you thought this video was actually good, not just entertaining then you need more practice.

Lesson #2: If you thought the players here needed practice, then congradulations for kicking the japaneses butt at their own game.

TheForger

Smash Rookie
Sunnyvale, California, United States, North Americ
Japanese players are different than American players. Its just a fact. Japanese culture is different than ours (for now anyway what with all the imports). So an American might beat a Japanese or a Japanese might beat an American, I don't think it really matters all that much. The video was simply entertaining and whether or not you think you can beat them it's not important. They're good but maybe you could beat them. The different play styles lead to different matches. If you really want to see who's better, try fighting a Japanese player. Their aggressive style might be harder to fight off than you expect or maybe whatever fighting style you have will keep them running into your traps.
The point is we are different. You can't fix that. Stop commenting on how un-amazing they are. So the guy who started this thread was impressed, he didn't see the match the way you did. He saw the entertainment that most of the other posted vids don't have, You might just have seen the techniques and obvious traps. Just stop fighting and enjoy the game, because its just a freaking video game. They are supposed to be fun not proof that you are superior to someone else or that you can beat someone at a game.

Top Bottom