• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
IGNORANCE! didn't I just give you a good example (they treat me like a legened, am I really this gold?/ Am I really too young to be feeling this old.) that is alot deeper than most rap songs. Your song example (whatever it is) is one of only a few that has deep lyrics (congrats for that). Also, not every rapper can be nominated for 2 Grammies before they release their first album.
1. It's not "am I really this god", it's cold.

2. Putting 2 lines that are seemingly deep in a song about ****ing *****es, throwing them hundreds. I think that with his lyrics, he's just trying to find stuff that rhymes, not stuff that actually has meaning.

Not every rapper can, but you can still try to make a good song, instead of the crap that's called mainstream today. However, since I doubt most rappers want to stay low with good songs, they'd rather build up a career based on meaningless songs, and get what they rap about, money and *****es.

Yea, I like Stan by Eminem, but I don't always consider Eminem's songs rap, especially not Stan.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyC1TacZZE

He's such a good singer that he can't hit the notes to his own song.
LMFAO ROFL

1. It's not "am I really this god", it's cold.

2. Putting 2 lines that are seemingly deep in a song about ****ing *****es, throwing them hundreds. I think that with his lyrics, he's just trying to find stuff that rhymes, not stuff that actually has meaning.

Not every rapper can, but you can still try to make a good song, instead of the crap that's called mainstream today. However, since I doubt most rappers want to stay low with good songs, they'd rather build up a career based on meaningless songs, and get what they rap about, money and *****es.

Yea, I like Stan by Eminem, but I don't always consider Eminem's songs rap, especially not Stan.
1: okay.
2: agreed

agreed

and I know what you mean. Eminem raps, but some songs don't seem like hip hop songs.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I was bored so I was freestyling..

"you call yourself a writer? youre illiterate
you cant spit, learn to speak english"

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
Kanye West is my favorite rapper...in short it's because, he has done the borderline underground sound and commercial as well but, in doing so he stays true with self-awareness every so often. Plus, he shows passion in new ground he enters and seems less confined to the industry than your average artist. Versatility, self-awareness and, passion are scored high in my book. The industry will evolve and I think staying in one mindset is unhealthy...embracing it with knowledge of where it started is key. Andre 3000 is another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zvwT7yUTk&playnext_from=TL&videos=1Z6JYS1gMVE

PS. (I.E. Jesus walks, Say you will, Diamonds are Forever, Two Words, Homecoming, etc.)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
That's great.

But honestly there's plenty of people better than Kanye.

And I hope the industry won't "evolve", it'll just get worse.
Take it back to the boom bap.

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
That's great.

But honestly there's plenty of people better than Kanye.

And I hope the industry won't "evolve", it'll just get worse.
Take it back to the boom bap.
I agree. I pick him as my favorite for the reasons I mentioned. Now who I think is the best is completely different...Kanye West wouldn't even make the top 20 rap talent wise.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
IMO, Kanye started out that way, but the fame got to his head, causing him to put out some things that had me questioning if this is the same dude on College Dropout. But, I'm glad you made the distinction between your favorite rapper and the best.

Smash Journeyman
put "The Coup" on the front page before I kill somebody.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I agree. I pick him as my favorite for the reasons I mentioned. Now who I think is the best is completely different...Kanye West wouldn't even make the top 20 rap talent wise.
OKAY, just making sure, because I like Kanye too, but he's not even clsoe to up there.

IMO, Kanye started out that way, but the fame got to his head, causing him to put out some things that had me questioning if this is the same dude on College Dropout. But, I'm glad you made the distinction between your favorite rapper and the best.
I agree, but now I'm not sure, his next album will tell.

put "The Coup" on the front page before I kill somebody.
Who? XD

Links please :)

And I was sleeping last night, I had a dream about freestyling. I was actually freestyling in my mind too, I didn't write those lines.

Like, I saw my cat on the street next to me walking and I said something and then
"thuggin with his fat cat pack"
or something lol.
It was pretty amazing.

Smash Journeyman
The Coup is so raw, real funk hip hop with an actuall message behind every song. (Support of Communism)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
MF Grimm and Pharcyde are still not up there?

This might be old news to some, but what do you guys think of Kweli and Hi-Tek's new album? I haven't listened to it that much (just got it today) but it seems pretty good.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Dope, and they're from Oakland. Word up.

Word.

I like this.

Smooth Criminal
Agreed.

The Coup is so raw, real funk hip hop with an actuall message behind every song. (Support of Communism)
The Coup is dope.

MF Grimm and Pharcyde are still not up there?

This might be old news to some, but what do you guys think of Kweli and Hi-Tek's new album? I haven't listened to it that much (just got it today) but it seems pretty good.
Pharcyde is up there...
I'll put him up.

And it's alright. I like it more now because I heard an interview with Kweli saying how he has to put knowledge and introduce some truth into the music while keeping a dance-able beat to it.

Best song is Just Begun for sure.

Recovery caused me to relapse into disappointment.
Agreed.
Bonus track with Slaughterhouse is good tho.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Anyone ever listen to Trife Diesel A.K.A. Trife Da God? One of my favorites. There's ton of good hip-hop out there you just have to look for it.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Not even .
IKR.

Amassed fail....
Yup.

Anyone ever listen to Trife Diesel A.K.A. Trife Da God? One of my favorites. There's ton of good hip-hop out there you just have to look for it.
I think I have... I'm not completely positive though.

Heres to all u ****ty hip-hop/ pop fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA
Queer.

They look like Ke$ha. :confused:
lol. they kinda do.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
So I'm about $100 away from the Macbook Pro.
I wrote a song today... It's definitely gonna be on my album, its a prayer to God. Some really deep music.

No beat will be on it... maybe an echo effect?
I wrote like 2 pages so far... it'll be way more.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Hmmm....I hope you have a voice for that. Not everyone can do that; I know I can't. But I know you like DMX so maybe it will work for you.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I think I do. It's not about blasting it in your speakers, it's about listening to the words and feeling what I'm feeling. To be honest it's some real lyrics i put on it. I'll have to trim it and edit it a bit, it's not perfect.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
if you guys havent checked out the new album by The Roots, check it out IMMEDIATELY!

it's amazing.

I think I do. It's not about blasting it in your speakers, it's about listening to the words and feeling what I'm feeling. To be honest it's some real lyrics i put on it. I'll have to trim it and edit it a bit, it's not perfect.
sounds good dude! didnt know you recorded music. i do some music myself! PM me if you want to check it out, i'd like to check out your stuff!

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I feel you:

Some stuff is a matter of preference, though. Unless it's TRULY garbage. (Not liking someone doesn't mean it's garbage. I may not like most of Eminem's stuff, but I still respect him, and know he's good.) Some of those artists, btw, do some of that music that people find to be "trash".

Hip-hop isn't what it used to be, yes; dead, no. Just hanging on by a thread. It's in an iron lung. There are artists out there with talent, but people have rose-colored glasses on.

Kanye West (Hate him or not, he's done a lot for hip hop. Also, he is probably the most real person out there. No matter what he does, he always has and always will be a cocky son of a Ho. That's what makes him Kanye.)
MC Lite (Queen L. but not MC Lite? O_O True female hip-hop artists right there.)
Fabolous (He should be on ANY list. Very few artists have his kind of way with words.)
Jada Kiss (Also should be on any list. He just got screwed over by Diddy.)

Otherwise, good stuff.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
if you guys havent checked out the new album by The Roots, check it out IMMEDIATELY!

it's amazing.

sounds good dude! didnt know you recorded music. i do some music myself! PM me if you want to check it out, i'd like to check out your stuff!
I have, amazing album.

And I haven't recorded anything yet... just writing a lot. Saving money for a computer so I can record some stuff...

I literally have no recorded material at the moment. just in writing.

I feel you:

Some stuff is a matter of preference, though. Unless it's TRULY garbage. (Not liking someone doesn't mean it's garbage. I may not like most of Eminem's stuff, but I still respect him, and know he's good.) Some of those artists, btw, do some of that music that people find to be "trash".

Hip-hop isn't what it used to be, yes; dead, no. Just hanging on by a thread. It's in an iron lung. There are artists out there with talent, but people have rose-colored glasses on.

Kanye West (Hate him or not, he's done a lot for hip hop. Also, he is probably the most real person out there. No matter what he does, he always has and always will be a cocky son of a Ho. That's what makes him Kanye.)
MC Lite (Queen L. but not MC Lite? O_O True female hip-hop artists right there.)
Fabolous (He should be on ANY list. Very few artists have his kind of way with words.)
Jada Kiss (Also should be on any list. He just got screwed over by Diddy.)

Otherwise, good stuff.
I like Kanye. somewhat.
MC Lyte is good I shoulda put her up.

He sucks.
And hes alright but IMO Papoose is better

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
>_> Just 'cuz you don't like someone....doesn't mean they aren't good. I just said that, lol. Fab is a monster. It's why nobody messes with him. Underrated just like Andre 3000.

As a whole Jada is better....but I feel you on the papoose thing.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Honestly Fab doesn't suck, compared to a lot of people in the mainstream he's actually listenable. I looked at the list and noticed that you have Little Brother up but no Foreign Exchange has Phonte without him having to carry big pooh for every track.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Eh, the main thing that I've heard from Fabulous is Throw it in the Bag. And that is a ****ty mainstream song that has no meaning whatsoever.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Understandable. Those are the best kinds of songs; made from emotion rather than just words.

And yea Fab is hella nice. My fave album from him is still Street Dreams.

Honestly Fab doesn't suck, compared to a lot of people in the mainstream he's actually listenable. I looked at the list and noticed that you have Little Brother up but no Foreign Exchange has Phonte without him having to carry big pooh for every track.
Tae doesn't carry Pooh on EVERY track, although I agree Phonte is downright better. I'd even argue that Pooh has outdone Phonte on some tracks. Besides, Phonte is known for being with Little Brother, not necessarily Foreign Exchange.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Eh, the main thing that I've heard from Fabulous is Throw it in the Bag. And that is a ****ty mainstream song that has no meaning whatsoever.
O_O Fab has been around for YEARS, and has some amazing albums and also mixtape stuff. The album "Loso's Way" although not his best, as a whole was good. (Throw it in the bag does have meaning, btw...lol) You know just like I do, you can't always rely on what's put out on the radio to be judged for talent as a whole. If that's all you've heard....maybe you might want to dig deeper. I usually do that before I give up on an artist.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Dom Kennedy...enough said lol
Anyways, I put up a sample to a song i was working on and i want to see what yall think.

Myspace.com/theloudslence, Its called All night (last song at the bottom)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
This list also needs Mina Mina goodsong, and of course MF Doom. Can't NOT have him. Who else... J Dilla. Many others.

Top Bottom