• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

Nova9000

Smash Lord
And Nova. Is that good? I need something really really good to make my stuff.

Does it have royalty free loops?
Can you use virtual instruments to make beats and sounds?
If so, **** YES.
I'm not familar with producing, so IDK...but that's the program that he uses to record the tracks. I'm sure he uses something else to make his beats and stuff...

^

Don't forget Jean Grae when it comes to female rappers.
Jean Grae is nice. Definite sleeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bSds6yVVSc

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
K, so that's three people. Most pop right now is just people who have these deals handed to them on a silver platter without them having to do ****. Hip-Hop is a lot less forgiving. You catch a bad break, and you're done.

Hip-Hop is real. You can classify it as raw negative emotion, but that's because it tells the truth.

I mean listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOuHan9loRs When I say listen I don't mean just write it off as negative before you hear it. I mean actually listen to it. Do you think Mos is trying to say "man the world sucks"? He's portraying what the world is actually like, not sugarcoating it.

I could say the exact same thing about you regarding hip-hop. Listen to some underground stuff before formulating your opinion.

No, you've got it twisted. People liking something makes it popular. Popular and good are not the same thing. Something that is good will still be good regardless of whether or not people like it. Popularity fluctuates depending on the opinions of the people that listen to the music. Yes, pop is popular. Does that automatically make it good? No.
I couldn't agree more.

I'm not familar with producing, so IDK...but that's the program that he uses to record the tracks. I'm sure he uses something else to make his beats and stuff...

Oh, alright then.
If you find out, let me know, but from my research i can see that Logic Studio is by FAR the best music production software, but Garageband is more elegant and easy to use.

Jean Grae is nice. Definite sleeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bSds6yVVSc

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I know its a video game but it has a sick beat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FGvTP3KPEA

@CookieMONster
Yeah, Im sick of Lil wayne =P
Agreed.

I approve greatly the fact Shad's on the list.
Who the **** is he? lol

MF Grimm and Madlib/Quasimoto should be up there.
Eh, I was going to put up a bunch of producers but never got to it.

SO, TODAY WAS AWESOME.

I went to Amoeba Music in Berkeley to watch an underground hip-hop group perform.
WELL, I was too late. BUT I got some great albums.

Finally got the first Reflection Eternal album, and I love it of course. I got the Ice Cube War and Peace albums (part 1 and 2), a copy of De La Soul is Dead, Violent by Design by Jedi Mind Tricks, the Score by the Fugees, It's a Beautiful Thing by Keith Murray, Eyezon and Sean Lane are A People Like Us (it was a buck, and it had an interesting tracklist), and Combination Locked by Sleep and Zelly Rock.

Then I went over to Rasputin's and picked up the DMX album "Flesh of my Flesh, Blood of my Blood" which is cool.
Then comes the crown jewel! AN UNOPENED COPY OF MECCA AND THE SOUL BROTHER BY PETE ROCK AND C.L. SMOOTH! This album is a classic, glad I picked it up! It was in the discount section too! UNOPENED! Nobody bought it! I was shocked to say the least, nobody knows good hip-hop anymore.
It was like... $8?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
The only good rappers I know:

eminem
drake
jay-z
kanye west
50 cent

lil Wayne and soulja boy suck

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
The only good rappers I know:

eminem
drake
jay-z
kanye west
50 cent

lil Wayne and soulja boy suck
lol 50 isn't a good rapper, he went commercial.

Drake sucks ***.

Kanye is good, but it depends on what his new album will be like.

Tec 9 and Immortal Technique, where you at?

Smooth Criminal
Theres a LOT more.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHERE DID LUPE FIASCO GO PUT HIM BACK :mad:

Also put The Pharcyde up what is this.
He should be up there.

And I'll put some more on today.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Oh, I know. I was just throwing out a pair of the more "well-known" rappers that frequent outside of the limelight.

Part of the reason why I'm posting here. I wanna learn about some of the lesser-known peeps.

Smooth Criminal
Ahh, I see.

Well check out Oddisee, J-Live, Azeem, Blackalicious, Keith Murray, Skyzoo, Thaione Davis, and Del tha Funkee Homosapien.

And more...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah, but today's rappers suck LOL. Being better than them shows nothing, and quite frankly he isn't any better than them in my eyes. It seems like you need to expand your horizons, Dark Horse, as the people you stated are all fairly mainstream.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHERE DID LUPE FIASCO GO PUT HIM BACK :mad:

Also put The Pharcyde up what is this.
Thats exactly what I was wonderin

lol 50 isn't a good rapper, he went commercial.

Drake sucks ***.

Kanye is good, but it depends on what his new album will be like.

Theres a LOT more.

He should be up there.

And I'll put some more on today.
100% Agreed!

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Oh wait Lu is up there I just missed him.

Pharcyde aren't, you should put them up.

But yeah Cookie I really like this thread. This summer I'm going to check out more of the people posted, I don't know a lot of them.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Yeah, but today's rappers suck LOL. Being better than them shows nothing, and quite frankly he isn't any better than them in my eyes. It seems like you need to expand your horizons, Dark Horse, as the people you stated are all fairly mainstream.
Listen to over. He actually QUESTIONS his fame (they treat me like a legend, am I really this gold?/am I really to young to be feeling this old.) name another rapper that does that. Also, UGK doesn't get called "the greatest thing that ever happened to rap" by THE NEW YORK TIMES.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Listen to over. He actually QUESTIONS his fame (they treat me like a legend, am I really this gold?/am I really to young to be feeling this old.) name another rapper that does that. Also, UGK doesn't get called "the greatest thing that ever happened to rap" by THE NEW YORK TIMES.
That's not deep. His lyrics are what they are, there's no hidden meaning or anything. What you here is what he means. Drake got called the greatest thing that ever happened to rap? Good for him, the New York Times critic that wrote that has the same opinion as you. Because he works for the New York Times does his opinion matter more than mine? **** that.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
That's not deep. His lyrics are what they are, there's no hidden meaning or anything. What you here is what he means. Drake got called the greatest thing that ever happened to rap? Good for him, the New York Times critic that wrote that has the same opinion as you. Because he works for the New York Times does his opinion matter more than mine? **** that.
The New York Times is probably the most famous newspaper today. I think
his opinion does matter more. Good
lyrics don't have to be hidden, just well
thought out (I've heard a song who's
hidden meaning was getting drunk. Does that make it deep?).

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
his opinion does matter more.
No it doesn't, just more people will hear it and it will appeal to more, doesn't make it more important. That's one of the most ignorant things I heard today, almost as ignorant as saying Drake is a great rapper.
His lyrics either don't make sense or have no meaning to them at all.
You da ****ing bess, bess I eva had.

I like rap that tells a story within the rap, not rap about your own fame or that one love you had. This is why the one of the few raps I've actually put up with listening is my favorite, Dance with the Devil. At least that song made sense and got you thinking.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Are you dumb? An opinion is not "correct" based on how famous the person making it is, it's simply what people think. Tom Cruise is famous, and he believes in Scientology. I don't believe in Scientology, and I'm not famous. Does that make Scientology true?

I prefer songs that do both. I don't see how doubting fame is either deep or well thought out. Rap should make the listener think about what they just heard, it shouldn't just be "man I want to **** some hoes and smoke some weed too."

No it doesn't, just more people will hear it and it will appeal to more, doesn't make it more important. That's one of the most ignorant things I heard today, almost as ignorant as saying Drake is a great rapper.

I like rap that tells a story within the rap, not rap about your own fame or that one love you had. This is why the one of the few raps I've actually put up with listening is my favorite, Dance with the Devil. At least that song made sense and got you thinking.
I wholeheartedly agree, Guus. I didn't know you liked rap.

But yeah Dance with the Devil is a great song, it really makes you think about what you're listening to. Drake definitely does not do that.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami

I like rap that tells a story within the rap, not rap about your own fame or that one love you had. This is why the one of
the few raps I've actually put up with
listening is my favorite, Dance with the
Devil. At least that song made sense and
got you thinking.
IGNORANCE! didn't I just give you a good example (they treat me like a legened, am I really this gold?/ Am I really too young to be feeling this old.) that is alot deeper than most rap songs. Your song example (whatever it is) is one of only a few that has deep lyrics (congrats for that). Also, not every rapper can be nominated for 2 Grammies before they release their first album.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
IGNORANCE! didn't I just give you a good example (they treat me like a legened, am I really this gold?/ Am I really too young to be feeling this old.) that is alot deeper than most rap songs. Your song example (whatever it is) is one of only a few that has deep lyrics (congrats for that). Also, not every rapper can be nominated for 2 Grammies before they release their first album.
That isn't the only good example.

Try again.

Smooth Criminal

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Are you kidding me? over has more depth than 95% of today's rapers COMBINED.
LMFAO no. Listen to some Skyzoo, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Mos Def, Thaione Davis, J-Live, The Roots, Dynas, etc. Drake can't compare to them. AND they still rap today.

Agreed.

Thats exactly what I was wonderin

100% Agreed!
I got it up, and thanks.

Oh wait Lu is up there I just missed him.

Pharcyde aren't, you should put them up.

But yeah Cookie I really like this thread. This summer I'm going to check out more of the people posted, I don't know a lot of them.
I got them both up. Lupe i accidentally deleted.

THANKS :) Underground is amazing, when you learn about it, you are amazed at what people say in their music.

The New York Times doesn't know ****, Drake doesn't have the emotion that legends are made of, and his raps are sub par. He ONLY uses decent metaphors.

Agreed.

His rhyme scheme is basic, not to mention that he doesn't use double meanings or wordplay at all.

Dance with the Devil is amazing, if you like stories listen to Stan by Eminem, or listen to some of the artists I have on my list, like the Wu-Tang Clan for example.

Thanks.

Are you dumb? An opinion is not "correct" based on how famous the person making it is, it's simply what people think. Tom Cruise is famous, and he believes in Scientology. I don't believe in Scientology, and I'm not famous. Does that make Scientology true?

I prefer songs that do both. I don't see how doubting fame is either deep or well thought out. Rap should make the listener think about what they just heard, it shouldn't just be "man I want to **** some hoes and smoke some weed too."

I wholeheartedly agree, Guus. I didn't know you liked rap.

But yeah Dance with the Devil is a great song, it really makes you think about what you're listening to. Drake definitely does not do that.
Agreed to the fullest.

It doesn't matter! That is not deep whatsoever, he's just indirectly flattering himself.

There are many, many, many more songs as deep as Dance with the Devil.

Except that one song makes my spine shiver.

Slippin' by DMX is a good example.

Anyways, Drake isn't even close to any of the people on my list.
Popularity means nothing.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
cookieM0Nster; said:
The New York Times doesn't know ****, Drake doesn't have the emotion that legends are made of, and his raps are sub par. He ONLY uses decent metaphors.

Dance with the Devil is amazing, if you like stories listen to Stan by Eminem, or listen to some of the artists I have on my list, like the Wu-Tang Clan for example.
First off, most rap songs are about sex, drugs, and "shawty hittin it on the dance floor" drake can right about other stuff than that. Inderectly flattering himself? "facepalm". If he was, people would realize that, and not buy it

I do agree with Stan (I think eminem is the greatest rapper alive) but I don't think it supports your point of "drake sucks!"

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Drake makes good music. I know alot of people that genuinely like his music and that's perfectly okay.

Some people like insane wordplay (myself).

Others can appreciate introspective, deep music.

Most people enjoy simple music with catchy beats and straightforward lyrics.

All of these obviously come down to preference. That's why Drake isn't the best and some people take offense to an artist like him being addressed as such. The best artist brings a combination of these types of music (amongst about 100 other things), and that's something Drake simply doesn't do.

That doesn't make him a bad artist though.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Drake makes good music. I know alot of people that genuinely like his music and that's perfectly okay.

All of these obviously come down to
preference. That's why Drake isn't the best and some people take offense to an
artist like him being addressed as such.
The best artist brings a combination of
these types of music (amongst about
100 other things), and that's something
Drake simply doesn't do.

you are the first person today who didn't say drake sucks.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yes, and most rap songs that are popular suck. Look at the OP, all of those rappers have deep, provoking lyrics. They make you look below the surface. Drake is the same as all the other mainstream stuff nowadays.

Did I ever say that was in a drake song? No.
Did I? No. Reread my post, don't jump to conclusions.

First off, most rap songs are about sex, drugs, and "shawty hittin it on the dance floor" drake can right about other stuff than that. Inderectly flattering himself? "facepalm". If he was, people would realize that, and not buy it
/facepalm

See, there's a HUGE problem with your logic right now. People DO BUY THAT STUFF. That's what is popular nowadays. Listen to Lil Wayne or something, he is popular and those are the things he talks about. People realize it and they don't care, they buy it anyway. Drake is the same as any other popular rapper, until you prove to me otherwise.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
"Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal."

"Point of No Return" may be one of Technique's most mainstream and popular songs, but that little snippet right there beats the crap out of that Drake quote.

That's not even the start of it, either.

Smooth Criminal

Nova9000

Smash Lord

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion

I do agree with Stan (I think eminem is the greatest rapper alive) but I don't think it supports your point of "drake sucks!"
That was a reply to someone else, not directed at you.

All of these obviously come down to preference. That's why Drake isn't the best and some people take offense to an artist like him being addressed as such. The best artist brings a combination of these types of music (amongst about 100 other things), and that's something Drake simply doesn't do.

-.- Whatever.

Yes, and most rap songs that are popular suck. Look at the OP, all of those rappers have deep, provoking lyrics. They make you look below the surface. Drake is the same as all the other mainstream stuff nowadays.

Did I? No. Reread my post, don't jump to conclusions.

/facepalm

See, there's a HUGE problem with your logic right now. People DO BUY THAT STUFF. That's what is popular nowadays. Listen to Lil Wayne or something, he is popular and those are the things he talks about. People realize it and they don't care, they buy it anyway. Drake is the same as any other popular rapper, until you prove to me otherwise.
AGREED.

"Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal."

"Point of No Return" may be one of Technique's most mainstream and popular songs, but that little snippet right there beats the crap out of that Drake quote.

That's not even the start of it, either.

Smooth Criminal
Immortal Technique is such a dope lyricist.

Phonte. Step it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ851skHQF8
On the hook is him singing, and he raps the last verse. But if you want separate genres...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVRxeQM602Y
Singing collabo with Ron Isley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0PUQuwxxQ
Collabo with Elzai and.....Drake...kills him on his own song...
He's cool.

I think Eminem can sing also, listen to Hailie's Song.

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
Drake can rap AND sing. Think of another rapper that can do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyC1TacZZE

He's such a good singer that he can't hit the notes to his own song.
Yes, it does.

All rock songs are about sex, drugs, and encouraging kids to worship Satan. Generalizations are fun!

Top Bottom