• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Please Gheb, do it.
Next weekend I'll rek your face by footstooling you 24/7.

Then tell me again how OP Yoshi is, I double dare you!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Please Gheb, do it.
Next weekend I'll rek your face by footstooling you 24/7.

Then tell me again how OP Yoshi is, I double dare you!
Dude, if the random button ever gives me Yoshi against you ... just you wait :smirk:

:059:

clockwalker

Smash Rookie
So, I'm by no means an expert smasher or even a consistent Smash Boards user, but I had some suggestions/questions/blahblahblah.
Any way, firstly, I'm most concerned with the Yoshi match up threads. You guys seem to be going with the thread per character approach, which I actually like, but there's no organization or over-arching thread to tie it all together. Right now there's the individual match up threads BUT there is also a general match up thread full of random buggery and posted by someone who looks about as dedicated as myself. My suggestion is to either get the OP to update it and link all the new MU threads OR lock it so a more experienced/consistent member can make a new one to serve that purpose. This is like, a necessity. Match up knowledge and tech are the two things serious players are most concerned with.

You could go check out the Link MU thread titled "Book of [MU]dora Index." for an example.

Secondly, I was just wondering if someone could start up the ZSS MU thread? Apparently we're also hot in the ZSS players mind, Yoshi was one of the first MU's they were going to tackle(eventually).

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
You can get to the other side of the stage pretty quick.

You can sometimes confuse people by egg rolling their landings.

Occasional wifi cheese.

Pandie the pantie

Smash Cookie
NNID
atrociousPanda
I've actually tested it as a movement option and sadly it's inferior to dashing across the stage because of the startup.
Egg Roll in general is by far the most useless move in the game, let alone it being the most useless move for Yoshi. I can't think of any setups (some that are at least practical) or good options to cover with that move. You're better off dashing. Or perfect pivot, short hop Nair :3

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Eggroll is actually one of the most interesting moves for me since we can jump now.
I've already succesfully gimped people by suddenly jumping offstage with it and FAir'ing them etc.
It's even hard to be punished now, as we can jump offstage before leaving the egg to deny a punish onstage.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
If you do the little reverse egg-roll thing, the startup is pretty quick. But yeah, goofy little jump or not, there's almost always a better option.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Is there an official Yoshi guide on here anywhere? I didn't see a sticky for one.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Not really, the spike with dair seems a bit weirder to get this time around since it'll knock them into the air if more than one hit confirmed on them.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
At high % if you don't start DAir inside the enemy, it actually spikes really well.
If you get them at low %, try tilting the stick to the side, trying to get away before the last hit connects.

Ind15

Smash Rookie
Hey guys
So I've been playing a bunch of matches with Yoshi and I've come to realize that I'm having a really hard time landing KOs. I can get in there and deal damage, but against bulkier opponents (and shield Shulk), I can never land a good smash. Any tips/good advice for landing the kill with Yoshi? Thanks!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Don't. Fish. For. Kills.

Just don't. Keep doing your thing and winning neutral, the kill will eventually come. At higher percents when you're looking for the kill, your safe pokes will be sending them offstage for edge guard opportunities, where we get Nair, Bair, Uair, and Fair as kill moves. Fair is a frame trap, meaning that if they air dodge Fair, you can follow up, FOR FREE, with Uair/Nair, with Nair definitely being more consistent.

Alternative kill setups include juggles > Uair, Usmash OOS, and Jab > Down B.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been a Pac main since day dot but as time has gone on I have witnessed more and more difficult and downright horrible matchups. I am thinking of picking up Yoshi as my secondary but was wondering if there was any point. If you guys could let me know if you think these matchups are in Yoshi's favour or at the very least better than the relative MU for Pac. The big matchups I was hoping Yoshi could cover are:

• :rosalina:(This one is the most important one by far)
  • :4diddy:
  • :4fox:
  • :4lucario:
  • :4tlink:
  • :4link:
  • :4olimar:
  • :4ness:
  • :4samus:
  • :4sonic:
  • :4zss:
Thanks for reading guys and if you can help me out, that would be superb.

JayMStone

Smash Rookie
I've noticed while playing the 3ds version that harassers can footstool jump yoshi while he is double jumping, interrupting and taking away his double jump, effectively stoping his recovery and possibly killing at 0% or very low %. I haven't seen this in the wii u version, but I haven't played enough yoshi to see it happen. Can this still happen in the wii u version or has that been patched? And if it still happens do you think it will be patched?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It is not a glitch, but a normal property of footstools. Footstools cancel all momentum and send the victim on a downwards trajectory. You can do this to anyone's jump, but it's most noticeable with ours because ours lasts very long and is our main recovery move.

Your momentum will not be halted and switched into the footstool tumble as long as you are currently performing an action when the footstool begins. If you are attacking or air dodging, you cannot be footstooled to death. They can still get the jump, but you will not fall.

Last edited:

JayMStone

Smash Rookie
It is not a glitch, but a normal property of footstools. Footstools cancel all momentum and send the victim on a downwards trajectory. You can do this to anyone's jump, but it's most noticeable with ours because ours lasts very long and is our main recovery move.

Your momentum will not be halted and switched into the footstool tumble as long as you are currently performing an action when the footstool begins. If you are attacking or air dodging, you cannot be footstooled to death. They can still get the jump, but you will not fall.
Thanks, I just think it's dumb for us as it is his primary recovery move, and other characters can't be footstooled out of upb for instance. I know it's not a glitch I just feel like the heavy armor should prevent it, but then again it isn't really an attack, idk.. I just know I've died at 5% before and I wasn't too happy about it.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
so in a quest to find a main that isnt diddy and doesnt require hand breaking tech skill, yoshi was the answer given to me by several folks. is this the right choice or do i keep searching?

devin

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to be really good with Yoshi and I'm doing pretty good so far but I still struggle to land meteor smashs and aerial attack. I train for at least 1 hour a day. I have to face my friend's shulk and I can't beat him. Any tips?

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
Use eggs (up-b) more, use your shield to block air approaches, and use jump nair/(upsmash at high percents) out of shield to punish those air approaches. If your opponent likes to grab, then use jab and short hop retreating fair to box out that option. Remember your grab range is big due to it being a tether grab and neutral b is great if your opponent likes to shield your air approaches (keep in mind the speed of neutral b as well). Also, when facing any characters with counters, you can either grab them or wait until the counter runs out and punish accordingly.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
You have two options with off-stage attacks, in my experience. The first approach is the "direct" approach and involves you being fast enough to land the attack (meteor or otherwise) before they have time to react or before they realize what's happening. The better your opponent is, the harder this gets, so I wouldn't bank on meteor smashes being a reliable kill move. This option is usually part of a string of attacks.

The second option is to mix up your approach to either bait out an airdodge and punish it or use unexpected options at unexpected angles to make teching off the stage difficult. Nair is generally your safest and easiest move to land offstage, but "safe" doesn't always mean "optimal."

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You can try to force an airdodge with an egg toss. If you jump offstage while tossing an egg at your opponent, you can force them to airdodge into your follow up attack, or get hit, which could potentially set them up for a follow up or true combo.

devin

Smash Cadet
You can try to force an airdodge with an egg toss. If you jump offstage while tossing an egg at your opponent, you can force them to airdodge into your follow up attack, or get hit, which could potentially set them up for a follow up or true combo.
how do i aim where i throw the egg? its hard

devin

Smash Cadet
You have two options with off-stage attacks, in my experience. The first approach is the "direct" approach and involves you being fast enough to land the attack (meteor or otherwise) before they have time to react or before they realize what's happening. The better your opponent is, the harder this gets, so I wouldn't bank on meteor smashes being a reliable kill move. This option is usually part of a string of attacks.

The second option is to mix up your approach to either bait out an airdodge and punish it or use unexpected options at unexpected angles to make teching off the stage difficult. Nair is generally your safest and easiest move to land offstage, but "safe" doesn't always mean "optimal."
Great tips, do you have any on how to land meteor smashes easier?

Arbitation

Smash Rookie
Best way to use a meteor smash move is to not fish for it (at least, one that's medium difficulty to land like our fair). If you try it every time, then they'll see it coming... every time.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If your concern is actually hitting with the meteor hitbox and not the sourspot, you'll get better results if you fastfall while trying to hit with Fair. The spikebox occurs at the beginning of the move, as Yoshi's swinging overhead, so fastfalling will help you space to get the spike.

Last edited:

devin

Smash Cadet
Use eggs (up-b) more, use your shield to block air approaches, and use jump nair/(upsmash at high percents) out of shield to punish those air approaches. If your opponent likes to grab, then use jab and short hop retreating fair to box out that option. Remember your grab range is big due to it being a tether grab and neutral b is great if your opponent likes to shield your air approaches (keep in mind the speed of neutral b as well). Also, when facing any characters with counters, you can either grab them or wait until the counter runs out and punish accordingly.
Thanks alot, i beat my friend!

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
Does Yoshi still have the fastest airspeed? It doesn't seem as fast for some reason.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Trying to pick up Yoshi, played around 50 matches with him thus far. I like fighting in the air, and I'm getting better with the eggs. My biggest question, and maybe an obvious one to you all: what are your bread and butter moves? I find that I have a lot of issues when my airgame gets shut down, and that in neutral I'm just trying to dash attack into Uair or Bair or something like that.

Top Bottom