• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

Fuzzio

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-6678-6272
Does anyone have any data on the required spacing / timing of jab -> up smash? I've noticed that at times it feels almost guaranteed, and at others they can easily escape.

Also, when doing jab -> dash -> up smash, anyone have a suggestion of when in the jab animation to buffer the dash?

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Maybe it's because Yoshi has never been a good character in past smash games, but I find it very hard to believe Yoshi is top tier now. Why?

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Why would you ask that question as a Bowser main?
What does being a Bowser main have to do with asking the question? I could ask that same question on a tier list thread and it would make sense.
I think the meaning of that was because Bowser and Yoshi got a similar treatment in the transition to this game: they both got significantly better mobility, some aethetic reworks and buffs to old moves, and jumped up a bit in the tier list as a result. Yoshi's changes just led to some insane out of shield options, recovery, pressure, a lot of stuff I just didn't see in older smash games. Bowser and Yoshi feel like completely different characters to me from their old selves, and as such I don't find it too hard to believe that this version of Yoshi's got a spot in top 10/top 5.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Hey guys, I couldn't find a stickered post on the lizard's matchups so I will ask here. I wanted to have main yoshi to complement my other main Cap Falcon to cover his bad match ups i.e Ness, DHD, or generally characters with spammable projectiles and disjointed hitboxes. How does Yoshi fare with these kinds of characters? and who are Yoshi's worst MUs in your opinion

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
I'm not sure how the matchups are, but I find my least favorite opponents are ones with a really easy-to-land, strong grabs, might be because I like shield a bit too much. I find the tough matchups for me are Sonic, Sheik, Falcon, Diddy, Fox, maybe Shulk in speed mode? So far everyone else feels manageable, but this could just be personal experience.

Ness I find slightly annoying to fight, but if he goes for down throw fair, the second fair can get naired or airdodged into an aerial. Nair, down air and sometimes down B beat out his PK thunder if you hit the head, so that's nice for beating PK Thunder Spam. His fair seems to beat out Yoshi's in neutral, which isn't that fun, and eggs do well in that fight. Feels evenish to me.

DHD I like fighting with Yoshi. Egg hits can and it bounces the other way, and they can't lock down space with it the way they like. I've had moments where I got followups off a DHD's can into the pinball forward air up air stuff. Your air normals just feel a bit higher priority than his, and you're mobile enough to dance around frisbee and moustachedude. Watch out for smashes, but your shield is amazing. I feel Yoshi's got good tools for that fight.

Other, more experienced Yoshis will probly have more to say.

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
When your opponents comes out of Egg Lay are they invincible for a few frames?

Scatz

Smash Champion
Much less compared to previous iterations, yes. They have just enough to stuff an immediate reaction.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man I can't remember where we found it, but faintly remember something saying it was like under 5 frames. I wanna say 1 but that also puts me in a position of being incredibly wrong so I'll just say it's a lot lower than what Brawl was.

Omni

BRoomer
So they can buffer an airdodge out of Egg Lay probably.

Omni

BRoomer
Yeah, but I mean it turns into a 50/50 instead of a well-timed 100% KO chance if we read it. I landed downb sweetspot KO several times out of Egg Lay's pop-out but one guy air-dodged immediately out.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I couldn't find a stickered post on the lizard's matchups so I will ask here. I wanted to have main yoshi to complement my other main Cap Falcon to cover his bad match ups i.e Ness, DHD, or generally characters with spammable projectiles and disjointed hitboxes. How does Yoshi fare with these kinds of characters? and who are Yoshi's worst MUs in your opinion
We do really well against general projectile spammy chracters. I have a pocket falcon atm because I really like how he plays this game, and tbh in theory they'll cover eachother really well. For characters who can run away forever go Falcon, for chracters who put up inpassable walls of projectiles go Yoshi. For everything inbetween go whichever one you main.

Best and Worst Matchups
These are personal and probably aren't completely accurate, but best for me are Robin and Megaman. Worst are MK and Sheik. Robin and Megaman just feel easy to me I can't explain. I just feel like our tools are better and any playstyle we choose to use will be viable in the matchup. MK and Sheik are both just really safe characters, but Sheik can pretty much get away with whatever she wants, MK has to turtle. So eh.

Scatz

Smash Champion
MK? Da boy can't even hit the side of a barn man. Obviously, the amount of nados have went to his head.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
We do really well against general projectile spammy chracters. I have a pocket falcon atm because I really like how he plays this game, and tbh in theory they'll cover eachother really well. For characters who can run away forever go Falcon, for chracters who put up inpassable walls of projectiles go Yoshi. For everything inbetween go whichever one you main.

Best and Worst Matchups
These are personal and probably aren't completely accurate, but best for me are Robin and Megaman. Worst are MK and Sheik. Robin and Megaman just feel easy to me I can't explain. I just feel like our tools are better and any playstyle we choose to use will be viable in the matchup. MK and Sheik are both just really safe characters, but Sheik can pretty much get away with whatever she wants, MK has to turtle. So eh.
Yea, I can see how Yoshi does bad against shiek. He doesn't do partcularly well against rushdown characters who can just speed past eggs while Falcon thrives vs these characters. Does height matter as Yoshi? The captain has trouble vs short characters

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
MK? MK is bad for us? MK feels like a wet noodle in this game, lol.
Real talk I think we still lose to him lol. Its just so much easier than it was in Brawl that it's hard to say for sure. This was pre patch, but he had some really easy frame traps off of down throw that worked at high percents, new shuttle loop is even better at stuffing landings believe it or not, it's just not as safe. Eggs at mid range even when you're both in the air are punishable now because of the new cape uhhh i don't remember if there was anything else.

See now the matchup is no longer as hard as it was because he can't mindlessly throw out hitboxes. But it's still kinda hard in that as long as he's hitting his moves he can still do really well.

Its also really possible that i was just giving him too much credit because of ptsd who knows lol.

@ HFlash HFlash Nah. We do better against taller characters usually because we get to connect every hit of a sh dair, but other than that all of our hitboxes are fine against short characters now.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Does Yoshi have a Bread and Butter combo?
THE PINBALL!!!

Otherwhise There are so many mini setups, I won't start counting them.
Yoshi is pretty much a library of mini combos you can put together. He's the Lego character.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
THE PINBALL!!!

Otherwhise There are so many mini setups, I won't start counting them.
Yoshi is pretty much a library of mini combos you can put together. He's the Lego character.
Now that sounds fun. I figured out I can start string up tilt at 20%-30% and made that my bnb for now.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Can someone explain how to beat Yoshi's attacks? I feel like they come out so quicky with very little endlag. Doggy can't handle the pressure, and I've yet to fight a good yoshi with my villager.

I feel I'm getting salty over him (her... It? Dinosaur) since the only ones I've had trouble with are all in For Glory, and FD is pretty great for anyone fast, or has good projectiles... Which is both for the dinoking.

I know to practice mostly on Anther's, since I would always ban FD against Yoshi always, but some tips on handling his super fast moves would help a ton. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
I've been experimenting with Yoshi in training mode and online, and at low percentages, down-throw -> Down B seems to work against CPUs and in For Glory mode. It works best against fast-fallers, jigglypuff, peach and other floaties tend to go too high to hit. Is this a real combo, or is it escapable?

EDIT: Nevermind, after experimenting with it more, it's easy to escape this. If they hold down or away from you, Yoshi Bomb will connect, if they hold away, it whiffs and they can punish you for it if they're quick enough.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
something i've been curious about

on m2k's stream, i saw sky (yoshi) break m2k's shield (as captain falcon). sky then charged a f smash, but it didn't hit. i swear captain falcon was in f smash's range. so, has something like this happened elsewhere? my guess is that the hitbox for yoshi's f smash didn't meet captain falcon's hurtboxes because he was inclined a certain way in the z-axis, like yoshi's dash grab against sheik in melee.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I've noticed that I've missed Fsmashes at point blank before. The hitbox might not exist right next to Yoshi, much like dash grab struggles from Brawl.
Animations of moves not matching their own hitboxes is a fairly common problem in this game. Yoshi fsmash is just one of many examples. His nair also looks like it has a bigger hitbox than the animation implies.

:059:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
What are you doing here Gheb?! Get out, hush!

And I kinda like the fact that e.g. DK doesn't hit right in front of him with an f-smash.
It's not perfect, but kinda logical that the hitbox is only where he actually claps his hands.
It should be like Mario's f-smash with the sweet spot.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What are you doing here Gheb?! Get out, hush!
I main Yoshi now :smirk:

And I kinda like the fact that e.g. DK doesn't hit right in front of him with an f-smash.
It's not perfect, but kinda logical that the hitbox is only where he actually claps his hands.
It should be like Mario's f-smash with the sweet spot.
Ftilt has the same problem where it makes even less sense. Compare that to DK sideB. It's hitbox reaches about 50% further in front of it than the animation shows.

:059:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Graphically, everything is almost not event lined up properly. They're either too far inside or too far out of what you see. I've seen Marth's Fsmash miss even though it was a tippered hit visually.

Top Bottom