• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High School Mafia: A BRoom Game moved to DGames

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I'm not entirely comfortable with Matt being as close to a lynch as he is.

He's three votes away from being lynched. If we're dealing with a three man mafia here, and we could be, they might be able to lynch him at any time. I don't think it's likely, but it's a possibility I shouldn't even be having to worry about this early in the game.

On the other hand, that joke was horrible. Maybe it's best this way.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Let me get this straight, there's a lynch as soon as there are a certain number of votes? This would work out for me, as I just realised I'm in a different time zone. =p It's also new to me that you vote in the actual thread, instead of sending the GM a PM, but why not. Love the high school theme. ^^

The first lynch is usually pretty random in games like this. Still, joke votes are pretty bad when they end up actually getting someone killed. But what do I know, all I'm good at is partying. :psycho:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The first lynch is usually pretty random in games like this.
I don't like random lunches. I once ended up with Xseven's sausage and no one wants to eat that.

I mean, Vote Matt:):):)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone voting for Matt? Typical, so typical. Just a bunch of conformists is what you all are. One person votes for the guy and everyone follows along.

Screw you all.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
And here, I thought we had something special. :(

Assuming that the entire Mafia hasn't posted yet, I'm pretty sure that Medi's right. They could get away with an easy lynch and pull it off as a joke.

Unvote: Matt

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
But then again, how does the first lynching usually get decided upon? Could a vet shed some light? Is it really just random like that?

Matt

Banned via Administration
Yeah, wait a minute! Dying sucks! I want to LIVE!!

But man, Eric sure was quick to initiate the hate wagon against the funny man. I think SOMEBODY may be working against us. Somebody named...

Vote: Eric

Look guys, I'm really sorry for my previous joke. But I have a much better one this time to redeem myself!

Okay!

Why was the teacher cross-eyed?

Because she couldn't control her pupils!

Hahaha!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Usually we go on for a long time, get annoyed, then find something small and kill someone. Then that person is found to be town, so we kill those who pushed for the townies death, which is usually a 50% chancish that they're town or mafia. Repeat

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
And here, I thought we had something special. :(

Assuming that the entire Mafia hasn't posted yet, I'm pretty sure that Medi's right. They could get away with an easy lynch and pull it off as a joke.

You know, you're right.

Unvote: X7
Vote: CK

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Now come on guys, let's use some logic. First, who do we think will be valuable later in the game? CK, Mediocre and Matt have very strong critical thinking skills. AltF4 has always struck me as very intelligent, and examines problems closely, befitting the programmer nerd he is ;)

Eor, being a mod of the lighthouse, has played this game a *ton*. Who else has played extensively online? I've never played online, but I *have* played it in person a great deal. And in those games, if you pick a person at random the first night, the Mafia is very happy. On the other hand, if we start applying logic right now, and force people to be "on the record" with their decisions, than it gives us REAL material to flesh out the mafia.

So, people we know will be valuable:
Matt
CK
Eor
Mediocre
AltF4

People who are more active, and thus more of value because they provide material:
Goldshadow
Xsyven

People I don't know anything about, and are less active so far:
Marc
Omegawhitemage
KevinM
(I usually give people like this a pass the first round, since voting for them amounts to random.)

People I know who haven't posted yet:
Mic
Yeroc
Redcell

My wandering eye always falls first on people who a) appear to vote randomly, and b) change their votes often. With what little info we have so far, Goldshadow falls in this category, and is the only one we can make ANY justification for voting for.

So keep talking, everyone. But for now, Vote: Goldshadow.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
To compound my mistake, Mic and Redcell have both posted, but they've still contributed less information than others so far, so I stick by my analysis

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
My wandering eye always falls first on people who a) appear to vote randomly, and b) change their votes often. With what little info we have so far, Goldshadow falls in this category, and is the only one we can make ANY justification for voting for.

So keep talking, everyone. But for now, Vote: Goldshadow.
Understandable, but also understand that since this is Day 1 (or "period 1"), I have very little to go on, just like everyone else. I think the results of day 1, in the context of everyone's behavior, will help flesh out motives and motivations. I'm going to tell you not to take my first votes too seriously; of course, whether or not you do so is at your discretion, as it should be!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
OOO!! Goldshadow already taking on some suspicion, Scav making his first and most analytical post thus far and Matt coming dangerously close to a 'joke' lynch within the first 24 hours. This is going to be a fun game!!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Understandable, but also understand that since this is Day 1 (or "period 1"), I have very little to go on, just like everyone else. I think the results of day 1, in the context of everyone's behavior, will help flesh out motives and motivations. I'm going to tell you not to take my first votes too seriously; of course, whether or not you do so is at your discretion, as it should be!
That's kind of my point. The first few days are devoid of information, so I've found that voting for people most willing to vote for others has the best chance of ferreting out Mafia. More so than making votes not meant to be taken seriously, at least.

Matt, as Matt is wont to do, made a joke post to draw attention to himself. That means he's either Mafia, and is goofy enough to paint a target on himself so people say "oh, Matt, that scamp! He can't be Mafia." Or, he's not Mafia and is simply Matt, and painted a target on himself so people say "Oh, Matt, that scamp!"

CK draws some suspicion because of his vote, but it can clearly be interpreted as engaging in a broomy joke. And as I said above, I think CK's future input will be too valuable to risk being wrong about him on the first vote.

Matt turned his vote to CK as a typical revenge vote, which should be remembered, but means little.

Xsyven earned points in my book because he unvoted without changing his vote. That implies he's more concerned with being right than with killing someone. It also means he thinks his early vote is important. Which it is. Good show, Xsyv.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Scav, I have a one point of contention with your initial post.

You seem to imply that we should not lynch the "valuable" people, or at least lynch the other people preferentially over them. But really, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure, a smart, active townie player is someone who you want to keep alive. The problem is that that smart active townie player could actually be a smart, active, mafia player, and you really can't the difference.

So, while I agree that some players could benefit the town more than others, those same players also put the town at greater risk, should they be mafia. Honestly, I don't think a player's intelligence or skill should impact our voting at all.

CK draws some suspicion because of his vote, but it can clearly be interpreted as engaging in a broomy joke. And as I said above, I think CK's future input will be too valuable to risk being wrong about him on the first vote.
I find that the first person to go along with a joke vote generally isn't mafia. There's no benefit for a mafioso to be an early voter, because that will usually just draw attention to the voter, and not actually get the target of the joke vote lynched. Usually, the mafia gets involved in joke votes during the later stages, as the victim gets closer to a lynch and the chances of a payoff increase.

I mean, I'm not saying that CK isn't mafia. He very well could be. I'm just saying that him being the first joke voter doesn't make it any more likely.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I agree, Medi... later on. A crafty player later in the game should be examined very closely. As early as the second or third round, they should start rousing suspicion.

But in the first round, when the lynching *is* so random, we stand to lose a lot more. Suppose we're wrong, and the more vocal and analytical player was actually a townie. Then, the Mafia kill another one of them that night. We're down two people that might have been deadly later on.

Smart and active are both key qualities we want to preserve in the first 2-3 rounds. If they post a lot, we stand a better chance of seeing who is suspicious.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I agree, Medi... later on. A crafty player later in the game should be examined very closely. As early as the second or third round, they should start rousing suspicion.

But in the first round, when the lynching *is* so random, we stand to lose a lot more. Suppose we're wrong, and the more vocal and analytical player was actually a townie. Then, the Mafia kill another one of them that night. We're down two people that might have been deadly later on.

Smart and active are both key qualities we want to preserve in the first 2-3 rounds. If they post a lot, we stand a better chance of seeing who is suspicious.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't like random lunches. I once ended up with Xseven's sausage and no one wants to eat that.

I mean, Vote Matt:):):)
Found this suspicious, as he voted for Matt despite Mediocre pleading for us not to several posts before, and the joke seemed pretty much over already.

Vote: Mic_128

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
or, Unvote: Mediocre

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Fast thread is fast.

Seriously though, so far I can sort of agree with what both Scav and Medi are saying. I'll have to think on it a bit longer, as no one really stands out to me just yet, preferably when I'm not actually at work. :rolleyes:

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Fast thread is fast.

Seriously though, so far I can sort of agree with what both Scav and Medi are saying. I'll have to think on it a bit longer, as no one really stands out to me just yet, preferably when I'm not actually at work. :rolleyes:
You'd rather have this thinking cut into your free time?!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I don't like the first round. :(

But yeah, if people aren't talking, I'm personally taking that as a threat. Everyone in this game is pretty much active-- if they're not posting, they're hiding. If they're not hiding, they're just inactive, and not worth keeping around. Therefore, my votes will most likely be aimed at them when the time comes around.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
From what I remember from the Werewolf games, the first round was usually a random toss for most people, except of course the bad guys. Usually n00bs or inactive people got lynched right away. And there was always the suspicious joker who often turned out to be a bad guy. But yeah, the first round sucks.

Anyway, I have tons of experience playing that game, but the rules are slightly different here and I have to write in a different language on top of that. So I'm not sure how valuable I'll be, but we'll see.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

Yeah, I was going for the perfect timing.

Scav brings up some valid points, but it needs to be remembered that pretty much whatever we do this round, mafia-wise, is luck. If we get one, good for us, but we screwed ourselves because they will kill the leader - currently being Scav - in the night phase.

Scav also sent off some weird vibes for me. For one thing, he pointed out the most important members to the town's success.

For example, he listed:
Scav said:
Matt
CK
Eor
Mediocre
AltF4
Notice, he is not on the list. Why would someone who analyzed so thoroughly ignore themselves, other than to keep a list for the Mafia to reference and target. Scav either is trying to lure out the Mafia, or he is Mafia. So, we are at a poor junction. First, the Mafia must be loving the confusion, as well as the fact that if we turn on one of the people on that list, they'll have to valuable people out.

****it. Just, ****it.

Honestly, I know I am putting myself up for townie suspicion, as well as Mafia target practice, but I am going with Eor. Eor really had no problem jumping from vote to vote, just going with the trend generally, and making overall light of the concept of killing someone. I am probably very wrong with this one, and this is not a grudge vote, but I want to put some pressure on Eor before I can make my final vote. Sorry, guys, but:

Vote: Eor

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Also, I vote to personally curb-stomp Matt if he doesn't stop with the lame jokes.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I have nothing to defend myself against, all I've done so far is troll people, except for Mic.

Eric does have valid concerns about Scav, though unlike Eric I was waiting a little longer for Scav to do more before raising any concerns, since now that lead is basically scared off.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Scared off or not, Scav named names. Those people that he listed as important players now have targets on their backs. I don't think it was maliciously intended, but more of a way for people to realize who we should avoid voting off since these are the ones that the mafia will target. I really just voted Eor to keep the votes offset for a little while longer. Though, can we get a vote count?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
This is an interesting game because you have some of the people that play Mafia more often, aka those of us that lurk basically decisive games at this point, mixed with a lot of new blood. Should be cool.

I didn't even realize I got in until today actually =)

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
KevinM joins the game!! Plus, idle threats on Matt's life, or CK revealing his secret desire?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Found this suspicious, as he voted for Matt despite Mediocre pleading for us not to several posts before, and the joke seemed pretty much over already.

I just wanted to be popular v.v

Unvote Matt

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok after reading through I don't like Scav's basic idea of granting immunity to those players whom he listed as "valuable". The fact that he doesn't want us looking at them, or how he says as early as day 2 is when we should look, I disagree with, it's just like... please don't random vote these people that won't help me at all.

Matt

Banned via Administration
You guys are all acting mighty suspicious. Particularly Scav with all his hoo-ha and what-not about this-and-that. Let's be honest here: The person who starts trying to dictate everyone's else's opinion on who's worth keeping around and who can die is probably--oh, I dunno--MAFIA. And seriously guys, almost voting me out was no joke! Now THIS is a joke:

How do you catch a rabbit?

Hide behind a tree and make carrot noises!

lmfao!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It's generally both the person that tries to dictate, as well as the person who tries to not be taken serously

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
As well as the people who don't contribute. And people that are silent. And people that are random. Mafia takes on all types ;)

But anyways, my hope is to demonstrate that I'm valuable, rather than simply say "I'm valuable" ;) which is why I listed everyone's name besides myself. Saying that I'm trying to not draw attention to myself is simply silly, considering I've made the longest posts, pointed out specific people, and called for a specific person to be lynched. This means that either:

a) I'm not Mafia and I raised the likelihood that I'll be targeted, should the Mafia not like where my inferences are going
b) I am Mafia, and in singling out Goldshadow I run a significant risk of backlash next round should he turn out to be a student.
c) People I didn't list as "should be protected" will vote against me

There's other options, of course. Maybe the Mafia want to keep me around because they think my attempts at logic will sew confusion and dissent. All odds are, at least ONE person I listed as "safe" this round is Mafia.

KevinM: That's exactly what I'm saying. The first round suuuucks... it's basically random. All we can do is minimize the damage of that randomness. I hope everyone tries to decide who THEY think will be valuable later in the game, and give them a pass in the random murder round. It doesn't have to be those six. But I think it should be.

You can chase your tails all you want first round. Without several deaths to examine, I'm equally likely to be Mafia as Omegawhitemage (to choose an example of someone who's been more quiet so far).

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I agree with Scav that some people are more equal than others. ;p

Back when I played, some good players (including me, yay) weren't lynched until there was a lot of suspicion. The downside is that they could go and manipulate a lot until they died if they were evil. Being a good player also means you often get killed by the bad guys right away when you're not one of them, so it evens out in the end. It's a bit of a shame most people either voted random or some inactive n00b the first round, but the n00b was never really missed and you can always get lucky. Personally, I still don't have a clue who to vote. If this keeps up I'll reread everything, try to decide and otherwise vote randomly or pick an inactive player. Inactive players are completely useless and it's best to get rid of them early on. They can really ruin the game, especially if you end up with three people chasing each other around, while the fourth inactive one is the actual bad guy.

I guess we're also seeing the downside now of not having a vote every day, but instead no one gets killed till a certain amount of votes has been put down. This means this "day" could drag on for days, since no one is really sure at the moment. Having a vote every day also meant that people who didn't vote automatically voted on themself and if you didn't vote like 2/3 times you were killed along with the person who got lynched that day. Great way to take out inactive players.

As a sidenote, back in the old days I also liked how votes were anonymous (unless you posted what you did) until after the lynching, instead of everyone being able to see everyone else's vote before the kill. This allowed for some tricky playing ("I'm going to vote player X" -> bad guys go along with it while player X clearly is innocent -> player X wasn't actually voted on by the guy who said he was going to, but at least we saw who took the bait...). I hope that made some sense.

Top Bottom