• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heavy Brawl as the competitive standard? EDIT: Could a pro post his/her opinion?

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Starcraft has a relatively small amount of lag online.

Moreover, even if you're dancing your hydras against zealots it's still not to hard to compensate for lag.

See, in RTSes the windows for executing strategies are generally much more generous. If you have .75 seconds of lag (which would actually be quite of bit of lag in SC) you can think to retreat your hydra earlier, and if he retreats .25 seconds later because you compensated imperfectly it's not a bit deal.

Compare this with fighting games which require *precise* inputs at *exactly* the right times, ALL THE TIME. You don't have to command 100 units, you don't have as many inputs per second as an RTS, but most of them have to be exactly right and have very small windows to work with. .25 seconds of lag uncompensated can mean ftilting after your opponent has jumped over your head, failing to shield an aerial, or (and I see this all the time in online matches) failing to airdodge exceeding obvious attacks when returning to the stage, dashing past each other because attacking. You can very much SEE that even the best online matches make good players look more idiotic and less in control of their character than what we've seen from the best matches in the flesh..

And now let's go to Korea. There, where Starcraft is practically a national sport, where players have micro so insane that lag WOULD impede things, they have the players playing each other on the stage, in the same physical location. The Blizzard Worldwide Invitational 2006 was held in Seoul, Korea. When things get really big, the biggest events just *are* in the same physical location. Maybe not specifically because of lag, but I'm just saying that the highest competitions of Starcraft are not played over the internet.
I played SC years ago using a 56k and the lag wasn't that bad. Nowadays it's normally fine... if you join a laggy game you just quit and find another.

It's true that it's easy to compensate for lag in SC (you usually put the network on high latency so there's a half second or so). I totally agree with what you said about Brawl online. Unlike SC, the pressing of a button needs to be inputted immediately, or it's pretty much a waste of your time. Smash requires precise timing at the right instant (1/60 of a second), and online play just kills that.

Online Brawl sucks, it's not really even worth it. After years of training my hands and brain to nail those 1/30 of a second windows, online play is just an exercise in frustration.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Ok then, answer this for me tomorrow.

In heavy Brawl, I sometimes find it easier to keep my opponents at bay. I can shoot an arrow and hit them. If they try to jump, it takes only the slightest angle upward to catch them. So then they attempt to dodge it, which is just as difficult to do as in normal. You can take a step and spot-dodge, or roll. If they do the first, it is a long process, usually filled with mistakes or me charging up slightly to throw off their timing. If they choose the later, then I just hit them with a f-smash or other attack when they roll too close. It is very effective for me to play this style. Yes, it does make running to the other side harder for me, but not impossible. All I have to do is get a decent hit in one direction and I am free to run to the other. Either that, or grab them and throw them in the opposite direction of my path.

Plus, if people camp me, I have an effective approach. While over used by some people, I can use his > B to approach while also repelling/reflecting projectiles. This and the shield are key with Pit IMO. So when I camp, I usually end up winning. When I get camped, I usually out camp them and force them into plan A again. I don't see Brawl in Heavy Mode fixing that problem, at least not now or through the people I have been playing against, whom I consider to be good players.

The other thing, punishment. I don't get that either. Brawl, as almost everyone has previously noted, has low hitstun on most attacks. When you hit somebody, they can hit you right back, especially at low percents. This sucks. In heavy Brawl, this is amplified. I had to sit and watch two metaknights spam attacks at each other for about 5 minutes before one person lost a stock. They just kept trading hits until they were both pretty high. Then one got knocked of and the other found it extremely easy to edgegaurd him.

Which brings me to one last thing. Heavy makes it EXTREMELY hard to recover. That's one of the things that people ***** about most when I play. When I get them off, I can completely mess them up by stopping them with arrows. It honestly is completely unfair. I can throw Marth off and hit him with constant barrages of arrows until he dies. It sucks.

I just want to know if I'm just the master of camping (Which I know I'm not and pray I'm not), my friends completely blow (which I know they don't), if this whole heavy thing is bad (Which is what my money's on), or if there is some other answer.

Good night.
Okay, I just accidentally deleted my response to your post TWICE...so this is the short version of what I was going to say.

First off, I don't get what you mean about the Metaknights, since he was already a great comboer to begin with. They probably simply didn't go for the kill moves, which Metaknight has sparse supply of but are very fast, so I don't get why they didn't just do that. That wasn't smart playing at all.

Second. I like that recoveries are gimped, because before everyone could travel to the Moon and come back without even having to hit the **** ledge. Just as a comparison with Melee, since people have already opened this can of worms, Falco is the second-highest tiered character in Melee yet he has one of the worst recoveries in the game. This is because Falco has very high offensive potential and is probably the best spiker in the game (generalizations, I know, but bear with me). Heavy Brawl increases offensive potential while decreasing recovery potential, similar to how Falco was. EVERYONE gets this boost and nerf, not just select characters. So if you killed Marth with an arrow barrage, good for you. Marth's still really good regardless.

Third, there are two ways you can consistently combo in Heavy Brawl: have an attack that does enough vertical knockback to follow up with quick aerials or use attacks that have low vertical knockback to keep the opponent near the floor. The aerial comboing thing is obvious: just follow up after an attack. This is characters like Marth, Lucario, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Falco, Olimar, etc. It may work, it may not work. This actually isn't changed much from regular Brawl except than now hits are far more precious since people fall so much faster.

Comboing near the ground, however, is a different beast. Forcing your opponent near the ground with such attacks induces more tumbling animations near the ground which in turn induces more "slamming into the floor" animations which typically function as a kind of hitstun. If you follow up quickly enough, which you normally can because the opponent isn't knocked as far away, then you're in business.

If your opponent techs, however, then both of you are both back in a neutral position. Here's the thing though: in regular Brawl, it was easy to tech because you fell very slow. In Heavy Brawl it's more difficult because you are simultaneously closer to the ground and you fall faster. Thus, it's more difficult to master this form of teching and even more difficult to tech this way consistently (I had a partner spar with me specifically to test this concept, and I could only tech about 1/3 of the time while he was pursuing with a combo). This makes combos more possible than in regular Brawl.

P.S. I forgot my response to your campiness. Pit is definitely one of the best campers in the game, and I can safely say that you've mastered camping enough to be at the peak of its effectiveness. Not very hard, is it?

Characters that can do this are numerous (if not all of them): R.O.B. with his dash attacks and d-tilts, Marth with his d-tilt, Lucario with his d-tilt, Wolf's f-smash, d-tilt, and f-tilt. There are numerous ways to take advantage of using attacks with low vertical knockback to set up combos.

Heavy Brawl brings some combos, but it totally destroys aerial combat and recovery. If you're below the stage, you're going to get KOed. Iterception is now completely removed! How about instead of trying to make Brawl like Melee, we all just admit that Melee is more fun and continue to play it?
I don't want Melee. I want to play Brawl. Sure, Melee is fun, but I'm honestly just bored of it. It's bored in the way that you get bored of Ocarina of Time after you've beaten it for the tenth time: sure, it's still sort of fun, but you've sorta reached the limits of what you can do. Same thing for Melee, well at least for me. I don't feel I'm getting any better in Melee, so I think I've reached my own personal limits in that game. I wanna try something new. I wanna Brawl. Heavy Brawl.

Also, Heavy Brawl does not destroy aerial combat. I've been trying out DeDeDe in Heavy Brawl, and he is an aerial monster because of Heavy Brawl. If you meant aerial combat like in the second-to-last episode of "Big Guy and Rusty" where Big Guy and the imposter Evil Big Guy were falling off of the building shooting guns at each other type of deal, like two characters falling and exchanging blows, I think that's a good thing that crap like that is gone because it reduces aerial games to just guessing games, and that's not deep at all.

Also, you don't always get KOed when you're below the stage. I know this for sure because I still recover rather consistently when below the stage even with the gimped recoveries, like Wolf or Link. You'll only get KOed if 1. you were stupid or 2. your opponent took the initiative to apply pressure on the edgegame, thus earning the kill. Plus, not every character can be approached from above when they're below the ledge. Ike, for one, is near impossible to approach from above when he's recovering from below the ledge due to his Aether's invincibility frames and this highly disjointed sword.

Fox falls faster in Heavy Brawl so he can hit with more lasers in the same time. Lasers normally go over people's heads, so you have to aim it close to the ground, so only one will usually hit. Heavy speeds up the process. Sure, his camping isn't godly in either normal or heavy Brawl personally, but maybe that's because I don't know how to take advantage of all his defensive options yet, I spent more of my time learning the drill 1-2 combos.

I actually like the gimped recoveries, but maybe that's because I play Fox.
Ah, I get what you mean. Everyone can decently camp, but some camp better than others (much better than others). Fox is only a decent camper because his lasers don't really apply enough pressure and his escape game isn't as strong as others. But yeah, he's a decent camper, just like everyone else in regular Brawl.

Oh, and I like the gimped recoveries too.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Also, it's worth pointing out that powerful attacks generally have more diagonal than straight horizontal knockback in this game compared to Melee, so the characters can still recover pretty well even with faster falling.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Also, it's worth pointing out that powerful attacks generally have more diagonal than straight horizontal knockback in this game compared to Melee, so the characters can still recover pretty well even with faster falling.
This is annoyingly true. It's almost as if Sakurai wanted everyone to be able to come back without fail unless they were at such a high percentage that they deserved to die. Oh wait...

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
So far, my friends and I seem in agreement that Heavy Brawl > Brawl. There just seems like there are more options in general, but we really are skeptical to make the move because of the current standard of the competitive scene.

In plain terms, my friend put it as "I love Heavy Brawl. This is the way the game should have been anways, but I'm going to play whatever MLG plays. Otherwise, there isn't near as much purpose in playing."

M.K

Level 55
It absolutely destroys Sonic. I can't believe you would sacrifice an entire character's potential for camping. That's low! Maybe YOUR main isn't affected, but other people's might be SEVERELY (See Dedede, Wario, Sonic)

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
It absolutely destroys Sonic. I can't believe you would sacrifice an entire character's potential for camping. That's low! Maybe YOUR main isn't affected, but other people's might be SEVERELY (See Dedede, Wario, Sonic)
Hate to break it to you but Sonic anyway doesent have much potential in the competetive enviroment as of now. His aerials arent that good, his specials are quite predictable and he has no real good KO move. Even Meta Knight has better KO options then him.

And besides in melee there already were only 5 characters that could possibly compete and win. And no matter what settings there will be there are bond to be characters better or worse from each other.

CO18

Smash Hero
Melee. Brawl. Melee Brawl. Melee Brawl.

Wolf, Dedede, Diddy, Sonic, Pokemon Trainer, Snake.

Just testing out the april fools joke thing lol.

I tried heavy brawl it seems better. XD

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I think that it's a little strange using one of the "special" modes of the game to be the standard way of determining who's best at the game... But the truth of the matter is, I watched some of those videos, and it seems to me that Heavy Brawl is A LOT more entertaining to watch than a standard Brawl. Short hopping is actually short, fast falling is actually fast, and it just looks more fun overall. The thing is, the computer always ended up killing themselves since they always assume that standard settings are in place, so I'd like to see some more human vs human Heavy Brawl videos.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
I only have two gripes with this but, there pretty major.

1. Some characters are just plain useless in this mode, correct me if I'm wrong but does Link for example have any chance of recovering?

2. No online for it sucks.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
in regular Br awl sonic is like a cub scout compared to the experienced sherpas that the best characters are.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
If it makes bowser any better, or doesnt change him at all then i endorce the change to heavy brawl.

I would do a huge long argument, but it really isnt worth it.

maybe adopt heavy brawl as a counterpick?

but in all seriousness it might end up being heavy brawl and normal brawl tournaments. : /

Shine-Fu

Smash Cadet
What I'm gonna say has probably been said 16 times already, but its still important.

Even if it seems unusual, if a "Special brawl" mode changing only heavy gravity makes the game better for competition, I fully endorse the change. "Making it melee 2.0" isn't relevant to the discussion. As it stands, brawl is less competitive than melee. The first post outlines the reasons why. Heavy brawl fixes this.

I don't see whats so hard about this. MLG changes settings for its halo 3 tournaments, going as far as to even bar some weapons from play. This is no different. Competition is best when its actually competitive.

M.K

Level 55
Sonic = Ruined!
Seriously, you may think he doesn't have tournament potential anyways, meaning that this change is fine, but tell that to Gimpyfish and Bowser. People still main the crappy ones!

DD151

Smash Journeyman
you're fanatically implying that "nerfing" sonic will cripple the metagame and legions of players. this is ridiculous.

you even contradicted yourself in your post when you stated, "people still main the crappy ones!" in effect, you just admitted that "nerfing" sonic won't change the fact that people will still play him and you also admitted that he doesn't have much potential anyway.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sonic is only nerfed up B-wise. He's still one of the better characters recovery-wise. Everyone else is pretty much the same. Booser is probably better (lol!). Peach is still great. Mario is a bit better then Melee. Luigi is quite a bit better then Melee. Donkey Kong is great. Diddy Kong's actually requires TONS OF TIMING, and is all skill. Link's seems better. Yet to try Zelda or Shiek's. Ganondorf's is hardly nerfed, and he stands a better chance now. Toon Link's require a lot more skill at timing. Samus' is great. Zero Suit Samus' is nerfed somewhat, but it's reasonablly nerfed. As in, it should be nerfed like that! >_< Yoshi's recovery is probably a bit too much nerfed. Kirby's is still good. Meta Knight's is still LEGENDARY, but you can't stall as long=good. King Dedede's is much more balanced. Pikachu's is hardly worse. Lucario's is still great. Jiggs is virtually unchanged. Squirtle is still good. Ivysaur is quite a bit nerfed. Don't use Ivysaur when you are at heavy damage in a Heavy Brawl; Use Charizard. Charizard is still good, but you can't hit and fly with it as good.

Ness is still good. In fact, it's more fair. Same with Lucas. Captain Falcon stands a better chance, thanks to this (he's hardly nerfed). Haven't tried the IC. Marth's is fairly nerfed compared to everyone else. Ike's isn't nerfed too much. I've yet to try Mr. Game and Watch. Pit can no longer go back and forth under the stage, but his recovery still pretty much recovers from anything (if you aren't stupid with it). Wario's recovery is hardly even nerfed. Snake's isn't super anymore, but it's still GREAT! Olimar's I've yet to try, but I doubt it is any wose. Sonic's isn't as good. It's okay, but you gotta learn to work with the D.I. and whatnot with it. Sonic is nerfed, but I gotta say it is not as bad as everyone says. But still, it's pretty bad. >_< R.O.B.'s is properly nerfed, but it's still real good.

Overall, Heavy Brawl is better. More hitstun, more combos. Literally, with Ness and Lucas I was ripping combos out of my foe's Pit, Marth, and Meta Knight. Seriously, Heavy Brawl rocks. Totally pwns normal Bralw. TEARS IT APART! It's soooo friggen awsome! I was dodging spam attacks easily, with the less predictable D.I. The game was overall A TON BETTER, a lot diffrent, a lot more offensive, you could punish your foes more, a lot more recovery-based as a whole (since edge guarding and hogging is actually useful), and all in all A LOT MORE TECHNICAL! Heavy Brawl is totally awsome. Seriously, I heart Heavy Brawl.

Heavy Brawl FTW! Heavy Brawl > Life > Normal Brawl. It's like I turned on another item off switch, and a lot of skill taking away stuff just died. YAE TO ALL SKILL AND NO CAMPING=what Heavy Brawl is all about! :)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I only have two gripes with this but, there pretty major.

1. Some characters are just plain useless in this mode, correct me if I'm wrong but does Link for example have any chance of recovering?

2. No online for it sucks.
No Special Brawl online does suck. They allowed you to customize nearly everything else in With Friends mode, why not Special Brawl as well?

I've been trying out Link for the sake of my friend, and I can consistently literally fall of the edge with a nair to edgeguard then do a mid-air jump followed by a slightly jumping-the-fun Up+B to recover on Final Destination. Link hasn't changed very much in terms of recovery.

If it makes bowser any better, or doesnt change him at all then i endorce the change to heavy brawl.

I would do a huge long argument, but it really isnt worth it.

maybe adopt heavy brawl as a counterpick?

but in all seriousness it might end up being heavy brawl and normal brawl tournaments. : /
Heavy Brawl as a counterpick would be a bad idea. It would be like turning on items as a counterpick.

Bowser is a lot better, imo. I regularly play as Bowser, and he's definitely a lot quicker in spite of the difficult to auto-cancel his lag.

Sonic = Ruined!
Seriously, you may think he doesn't have tournament potential anyways, meaning that this change is fine, but tell that to Gimpyfish and Bowser. People still main the crappy ones!
Tell that Sonic is crappy to my friend who has decided to main him in Heavy Brawl. Sonic is a comboing beast on land, and his neutral B recovery is phenomenal when you least expect it and one of the best punishers for faulty edgeguarding.

Am I getting really confused here? Brawl, not Melee, right? People are mixing the two up like crazy in their posts...

As an idea, I think that Heavy Brawl could be experimented with, but I personally don't care... I haven't tried Heavy Brawl yet, so I can't make an answer based on experience... in theory however, it seems to simply make people fall faster, which isn't that bad, really... In my heart, I feel it shouldn't be changed for the simple reason that the game was made to be played traditionally under normal Brawl... but I can see where the heavier gravity can influence the competitive nature... but I still think it's a new game, and trying to make it more competitive because we've played Melee isn't really that wonderful of an idea...

Bottom line is that if Melee had not come out and Brawl was released as the sequel to 64, people wouldn't be so adamant about using Heavy Brawl because the gravity in normal Brawl is similar to that in 64, and that was a solid competitive game and people would think it was a natural transition... however, the fact that Melee was such a different game makes people want to stick to that competitive nature more than the "campy" nature of Brawl... but really, other games have camping too, and it's something you deal with ...

EDIT: Man, this is seriously controversial lol...
This is true. If Brawl has come out right after 64, I don't think we'd be having this discussion, primarily because I don't think we'd have a very good community right now...

Sonic is only nerfed up B-wise. He's still one of the better characters recovery-wise. Everyone else is pretty much the same. Booser is probably better (lol!). Peach is still great. Mario is a bit better then Melee. Luigi is quite a bit better then Melee. Donkey Kong is great. Diddy Kong's actually requires TONS OF TIMING, and is all skill. Link's seems better. Yet to try Zelda or Shiek's. Ganondorf's is hardly nerfed, and he stands a better chance now. Toon Link's require a lot more skill at timing. Samus' is great. Zero Suit Samus' is nerfed somewhat, but it's reasonablly nerfed. As in, it should be nerfed like that! >_< Yoshi's recovery is probably a bit too much nerfed. Kirby's is still good. Meta Knight's is still LEGENDARY, but you can't stall as long=good. King Dedede's is much more balanced. Pikachu's is hardly worse. Lucario's is still great. Jiggs is virtually unchanged. Squirtle is still good. Ivysaur is quite a bit nerfed. Don't use Ivysaur when you are at heavy damage in a Heavy Brawl; Use Charizard. Charizard is still good, but you can't hit and fly with it as good.

Ness is still good. In fact, it's more fair. Same with Lucas. Captain Falcon stands a better chance, thanks to this (he's hardly nerfed). Haven't tried the IC. Marth's is fairly nerfed compared to everyone else. Ike's isn't nerfed too much. I've yet to try Mr. Game and Watch. Pit can no longer go back and forth under the stage, but his recovery still pretty much recovers from anything (if you aren't stupid with it). Wario's recovery is hardly even nerfed. Snake's isn't super anymore, but it's still GREAT! Olimar's I've yet to try, but I doubt it is any wose. Sonic's isn't as good. It's okay, but you gotta learn to work with the D.I. and whatnot with it. Sonic is nerfed, but I gotta say it is not as bad as everyone says. But still, it's pretty bad. >_< R.O.B.'s is properly nerfed, but it's still real good.

Overall, Heavy Brawl is better. More hitstun, more combos. Literally, with Ness and Lucas I was ripping combos out of my foe's Pit, Marth, and Meta Knight. Seriously, Heavy Brawl rocks. Totally pwns normal Bralw. TEARS IT APART! It's soooo friggen awsome! I was dodging spam attacks easily, with the less predictable D.I. The game was overall A TON BETTER, a lot diffrent, a lot more offensive, you could punish your foes more, a lot more recovery-based as a whole (since edge guarding and hogging is actually useful), and all in all A LOT MORE TECHNICAL! Heavy Brawl is totally awsome. Seriously, I heart Heavy Brawl.

Heavy Brawl FTW! Heavy Brawl > Life > Normal Brawl. It's like I turned on another item off switch, and a lot of skill taking away stuff just died. YAE TO ALL SKILL AND NO CAMPING=what Heavy Brawl is all about! :)
Full of win.

Cool, you've found a way to play Melee the way you want to. Good for you.
Nope. Just Brawl.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
As an idea, I think that Heavy Brawl could be experimented with, but I personally don't care... I haven't tried Heavy Brawl yet, so I can't make an answer based on experience... in theory however, it seems to simply make people fall faster, which isn't that bad, really... In my heart, I feel it shouldn't be changed for the simple reason that the game was made to be played traditionally under normal Brawl... but I can see where the heavier gravity can influence the competitive nature... but I still think it's a new game, and trying to make it more competitive because we've played Melee isn't really that wonderful of an idea...EDIT: Man, this is seriously controversial lol...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2J3i9gFKz48

Brawl is nothing like 64. Though 64 is floaty, it's most notable for it's crazy combos, large hitstuns, bad recoveries, and uber broken characters (everyone was broken lol). 3 of those brawl does not have.

Floatiness /=/ smash64. If anything melee is waaay more like smash64 than brawl is.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CjuQAMce-_o

EDIT:

While coincidentally getting footage for that video, we accidentally recorded several human v. human heavy brawl matches. Those will be up later, but I have priorities when making videos.
Well, it's nice to see that you're at least still around.

@Dragz
--I was completely kidding about the counterpick thing. : / It was just something stupid to hopefully make some people lul a little.
Heheh...I completely missed the joke. Silly me.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Well, it's nice to see that you're at least still around.
My friend and I actually recorded a match which we will reveal in due time, and then i just figured why the hell not. I've lost my fighting spirit, but I'll toss you my weapons.

Corigames

Smash Hero
EVERYONE gets this boost and nerf, not just select characters...

...have an attack that does enough vertical knockback to follow up with quick aerials or use attacks that have low vertical knockback to keep the opponent near the floor. The aerial comboing thing is obvious: just follow up after an attack. This is characters like Marth, Lucario, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Falco, Olimar, etc. It may work, it may not work.
This is my first qualm. You say in the first place that ALL characters gain something and loose something from this, but then you contradict it with this statement by saying that only certain characters gain the direct ability to combo better. Characters without a proficiency in keeping people up in the air, such as Ike or Diddy Kong may find it very difficult to play in this game. People who can't constantly combo, or at least have a good one, will only find themselves getting comboed and not doing any themselves. This returns you back to the mentality of normal Brawl where, of course, certain characters are inherently much better.

In Heavy Brawl it's more difficult because you are simultaneously closer to the ground and you fall faster. Thus, it's more difficult to master this form of teching and even more difficult to tech this way consistently
This I'm very confused about. In order to tech, you must hit the shield button within a certain number of frames before hitting a solid wall. If you press the button too early or too many times, you will miss the opportunity. Now, in Heavy Brawl, you fall faster, of course. So, if you press the shield button while in the air, you are more likely to hit the ground because you are approaching it faster. Whenever you get hit in Brawl, enough to knock you away or down, it's not a bad idea to hit shield. Air dodging slows your air speed or you may tech the ground. Either way is better than the alternative. So why is moving slower easier? You have more time from hitting the button to hitting the ground which increases the possability of failure. At most, you could say, that the person trailing that for you was so use to normal Brawl physics that they were hitting it far too late, expecting to have to hit the button too close to the ground.

Pit is definitely one of the best campers in the game, and I can safely say that you've mastered camping enough to be at the peak of its effectiveness. Not very hard, is it?
Are you insulting me for being good at what I do? There are ten things I want to say about this, but none of them are relevant to the discussion aside from that you are trying to make me angry.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
This is my first qualm. You say in the first place that ALL characters gain something and loose something from this, but then you contradict it with this statement by saying that only certain characters gain the direct ability to combo better. Characters without a proficiency in keeping people up in the air, such as Ike or Diddy Kong may find it very difficult to play in this game. People who can't constantly combo, or at least have a good one, will only find themselves getting comboed and not doing any themselves. This returns you back to the mentality of normal Brawl where, of course, certain characters are inherently much better.
What are you talking about? Did you finish reading my god**** post? I said EVERYONE can combo, but different characters combo in different ways. This is like EVERY fighting game. Marth obviously can't Raptor Boost to electric knee because...he doesn't friggin' have it. Falcon can't f-air, f-air, f-air, d-air because his moves don't work that way. This is common sense.

EDIT: Btw, Ike is still about spacing. Diddy Kong performs extremely well in Heavy Brawl, using horizontally-based combos that end with a move with vertical knockback followed by an aerial.

This I'm very confused about. In order to tech, you must hit the shield button within a certain number of frames before hitting a solid wall. If you press the button too early or too many times, you will miss the opportunity. Now, in Heavy Brawl, you fall faster, of course. So, if you press the shield button while in the air, you are more likely to hit the ground because you are approaching it faster. Whenever you get hit in Brawl, enough to knock you away or down, it's not a bad idea to hit shield. Air dodging slows your air speed or you may tech the ground. Either way is better than the alternative. So why is moving slower easier? You have more time from hitting the button to hitting the ground which increases the possability of failure. At most, you could say, that the person trailing that for you was so use to normal Brawl physics that they were hitting it far too late, expecting to have to hit the button too close to the ground.

You have a smaller window to perform the tech, and you can't respond as quickly physically. It's a matter of how fast your nerve impulses are at this point.

Are you insulting me for being good at what I do? There are ten things I want to say about this, but none of them are relevant to the discussion aside from that you are trying to make me angry.
I'm not being insulting. I'm just stating that camping is not very difficult. Right? It's flat-out easy to do if you know what you're doing, which doesn't have to be very much. That's the problem. The low learning curve of camping is still far more powerful than the high learning curve of approaching and punishing in regular Brawl. This is what I've been trying to tell you, yet you seem to keep ignoring me.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Well, I want this thread to progress on, so I want someone to ask me one aspect of Heavy Brawl to test and show results on (no videos though) besides the height and recovery differences in Heavy Brawl. It could be characters ability to spike without killing themselves, horizontal recovery, differences in the height someone gets hit by a characters move in heavy brawl at a certain %, I dont care. (I will test this last one on my own anyway, for each characters move when the enemy is at 70%, at least the moves with horizontal knockback).

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
THe smash community is so broken now

Heavy VS Normal
AIB VS SWF
Melee Vs Brawl

We as a community need to come together and make some decisions pronto. I don't want to waste time practicing on heavy if tournys won't host it.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Bottom line is that if Melee had not come out and Brawl was released as the sequel to 64, people wouldn't be so adamant about using Heavy Brawl because the gravity in normal Brawl is similar to that in 64, and that was a solid competitive game and people would think it was a natural transition... however, the fact that Melee was such a different game makes people want to stick to that competitive nature more than the "campy" nature of Brawl... but really, other games have camping too, and it's something you deal with ...
If brawl were the sequel to smash 64 then there wouldn't be a smash boards with 100,000 + registered members and there wouldn't be competitive smash scene that could rival the "traditional" fighting games.

Also other games that are competitively successful that have camping in them have way more options then Brawl. Look at Starcraft (turtling), Counter Strike (*insert gun name*-*****) or well pretty much any FPS or RTS or TBS.

nviv

Smash Cadet
I feel it should be looked at as an option, I just read the post and haven't tried it yet so I can't say one way or the other, but dismissing it just because it's not standard brawl really aren't thinking of the best competitive environment for the game. This isn't the same circumstances, but it reminds me of SFII: turbo, the standard fighting mode wasn't used at competitions, they opted to use turbo, it made the game faster, requiring people to think and react quicker. It seems like a common sense decision now and obvious to do, like I said this isn't exactly the same circumstances but I can see how heavy brawl can potentially do similar things for the game.

Also as Gimpyfish basically said in the thread below, Brawl was designed to be essentially as uncompetitive as possible, I am not implying it can't be or isn't competitive right now, it just was how the game was designed. While we cannot do things about random events, such as tripping, we can control other aspects, like stages and items , to increase the competitive viability of the game. This could just be another way to help the game and should be looked at closer.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158790

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
THe smash community is so broken now

Heavy VS Normal
AIB VS SWF
Melee Vs Brawl

We as a community need to come together and make some decisions pronto. I don't want to waste time practicing on heavy if tournys won't host it.
Well it's actually more like:

Heavy VS Fast VS Normal
SWF VS SRK (this always existed, SRK never respected our community as melee was a "kiddy" game even though they play brawl now)
Melee VS Brawl VS SSB64

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Well it's actually more like:

Heavy VS Fast VS Normal
SWF VS SRK (this always existed, SRK never respected our community as melee was a "kiddy" game even though they play brawl now)
Melee VS Brawl VS SSB64
don't forget online tournaments vs in person
and items vs some items vs no items

nviv

Smash Cadet
It seemed like when Melee first came out there were many similar arguments, like items vs. no items, just because the community was so much smaller they weren't as public and there wasn't as many points being debated, but with any new game people will disagree the best way to play it at first it just needs some time to get worked out, then people will adapt to the decisions made...hopefully.

Top Bottom