• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HeartGold/SoulSilver - Competitive Metagame Discussion

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Honchkrow isn't really going to be using Brave Bird too much. It's not that sturdy, and the recoil it gets along with 25% from Stealth Rocks won't do it any good. Drill Peck is still a better option.

Blissey with Block is an even bigger wh0r3 now... *Sigh*

-Terywj

Gengar

Smash Rookie
Oh,I oversaw Drill Peck;I thought all its flying moves sucked.XD Yeah,Drill Peck ftw.

-sigh-Yes,Blissey gets fricken block now;sometimes it makes me wonder WTH they were thinking.Its GREAT for competitive play,but some things should never exist on certain Pokemon.Certain moves too.-cough-Spore,wtfandpeoplecomplainaboutDarkrai-cough- Just sort of takes the fun away when I have to worry about Blissey in everyone's team now.Makes it predictable and the headaches...Just like I get a major migraine when I see Jolteon.

I think the first thing everyone will get is a Blissey;there's also the possibility that it will go uber because of it. That could be good or bad.

Edit - Wait,couldn't you switch out if you see Blissey before it uses Block to a more appropriate counter??Its going to be obvious everyone's Blissey will have Block now and again,makes it too predictable.There will be a new Pokemon role in teams and it will be called "Blissey Killer".>..> It will be as essential as Sweepers and all that.-facepalms-XD

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Not all Blisseys will have Block, you know. Also, Blissey can be even more annoying if someone poisons you're Pokemon before and Blissey stalls with Lefties and Softboiled. Also, you'd have to be on drugs if you put block an a Pokemon that counters your tank. People would probably Block special sweepers like Salamence, which is something that would be even more annoying, due to the fact blocking special sweepers are Blissey's specialty.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Edit - Wait,couldn't you switch out if you see Blissey before it uses Block to a more appropriate counter??Its going to be obvious everyone's Blissey will have Block now and again,makes it too predictable.There will be a new Pokemon role in teams and it will be called "Blissey Killer".>..> It will be as essential as Sweepers and all that.-facepalms-XD
I'm pretty sure that basically any physical sweeper fits that "Blissey Killer" role, and the current metagame is based heavily on physical sweepers. Thus, the current metagame will still annihilate Blissey; whether it uses block or not. After all, like many people have said before in this thread, you can just predict the Block and switch in something that can handle it.

Bissey might have a bit more use in Ubers though. Iirc, there's a bit more balance in physical and special sweepers when it comes to the common Pokes in Uber.

Gengar

Smash Rookie
Hm..maybe a mix sweeper could trick people into blocking.-gets an idea- Salamence can also be a Physical sweeper so it could be a mix up and the chance to kill Blissey...partially before she switches out.Dunno;I haven't battled competitively in a while but I keep up with the news,rofl.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
For the most part it seems that a majority of the buffs seem to be defensive based, when the biggest with platinum was likely offensive with scizor.

I had the same thought as Mow, that Pain Split Rotom was likely the biggest and best change, though I thinking more about it, this Blissey change is pretty freicken ridiculous. Scanning through it I didn't think there was much, but wow this does change a lot in the grand scheme of things.

WouW

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PQRpbsKVg

So, did anyone else rage after watching that?

Cause I did. >8(
I lol'd hard seeing that.

Not all Blisseys will have Block, you know. Also, Blissey can be even more annoying if someone poisons you're Pokemon before and Blissey stalls with Lefties and Softboiled. Also, you'd have to be on drugs if you put block an a Pokemon that counters your tank. People would probably Block special sweepers like Salamence, which is something that would be even more annoying, due to the fact blocking special sweepers are Blissey's specialty.
gl blocking, no special sweepers will ever stay in on Blissey.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
SS/Hail teams got a lot.
Agility on Dunsparce does little. Glare still remains superior for HAX.

Also, Clefable and Drifblim didn't get anything useful. Consider the following:

Pain Split Drifblim
Aromatherapy or Magic Coat Clefable
Role Play Clefable (giving away the only thing that makes it unique)

The dramatic increase in Block pokemon also seems to be good for partnering with Pursuit pokemon. Not sure if this was already mentioned.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PQRpbsKVg

So, did anyone else rage after watching that?

Cause I did. >8(
I got about 10 seconds in and already realized that the kid was going to make me wish that I had the ability to punch people through my computer screen. He hadn't even said 'Pokemon 4' yet.

Kinda felt sorry for him though, tbh. He almost sounded like he was trying to be some sort of elitist reviewer or some ****, but he basically failed. Hard.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Poor kid thought he knew what he was talking about :/

Oh well, hopefully he learns, but reading the comments, I personally thought people were too harsh

D

Deleted member

For the most part it seems that a majority of the buffs seem to be defensive based, when the biggest with platinum was likely offensive with scizor.

I had the same thought as Mow, that Pain Split Rotom was likely the biggest and best change, though I thinking more about it, this Blissey change is pretty freicken ridiculous. Scanning through it I didn't think there was much, but wow this does change a lot in the grand scheme of things.
thought about it too, but blissey has 4-slot syndrome too hard to use this well. it'd be better used on something on a defensive sandstorm team to get 6 curse/bulk-up/whatever uses.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Its when a pokemon could do something amazing, but is held back by the limit of being able to only use 4 moves.
Like, if Blissy had 6 move slots, then you could see block, wish, defense curl, attack move, attack move, and would be a major force to be recokend with.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The fact that a pokemon could be a lot better if it was able to have more then 4 moves I believe. But because Blissey can't it's locked into having roughly the same four moves.

Feel free to correct me.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well, I guess it's smart thinking on Nintendo's part. Nearly every pokemon would be broken if you had 5 move slots.
That's the truth. Imagine the following:

Vaporeon
~ Wish
~ Heal Bell
~ Protect
~ Surf
~ Toxic / Ice Beam

Scizor
~ Bullet Punch
~ Bug Bite
~ Swords Dance
~ U-Turn
~ Superpower

Aerodactyl
~ Stealth Rock
~ Taunt
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang
~ Stone Edge

Mismagius
~ Substitute
~ Nasty Plot
~ Hidden Power Fighting
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball

Scizor
~ Swords Dance
~ Agility
~ Iron Defense
~ Bullet Punch
~ Baton Pass

These sets aren't even close to fair.

-Terywj

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I say she mesdivious needed it. She was UU after all.
Togekiss as a annoyer/sweeper makes me happy :)
I'm interested to seeing how well Wailord and Walrein will change things in UU.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Walrein will almost undoubtably shake up Hail Stall. He will just be too good. Set up a Sub, Protect, Super Fang, then either Protect or Sub if the 1st Sub broke, or Blizzard to finish it off.

Walrein with Super Fang is now the Garchomp of the NU / UU tier, as well as Hail Stall.

-Terywj

D

Deleted member

Walrein with Super Fang is now the Garchomp of the NU / UU tier, as well as Hail Stall.
so everyone will overstate its effectiveness because they don't know how to fight it until they ban it?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
so everyone will overstate its effectiveness because they don't know how to fight it until they ban it?
I'm simply stating that because of the effectiveness Walrein had in Hail Stall without Super Fang. I know this from using as well as fighting Stallrein.

-Terywj

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
^
Truth but then again it could be argued that five moves would give Pokemon too much potential for sweeps and such.

I think four moves is the perfect balance for potential and variety.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
^
Truth but then again it could be argued that five moves would give Pokemon too much potential for sweeps and such.

I think four moves is the perfect balance for potential and variety.
But then again, wouldn't giving all these Pokemon more potential for sweeps also give defensive Pokemon more potential for walling? :3

Just something to think about. I do think that four moves is the perfect number, but I'm pretty sure that in the case of Pokemon, any number of moves could work to an extent.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just saw the exclusive Pokemon lists. Looks like I'm getting SoulSilver by far.

Top Bottom