• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever beaten a good snake?

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
The Sonic/Snake match up is interesting because they both have an edge on the other.

Snake can delay set Sonic up with his projectiles and armaments, plus he has the strength to outright kill Sonic avoiding his massive recovery.

Sonic can approach so quickly that he cuts through Snakes projectiles and other defenses. This speed, used properly, keeps Snake off balance and sets him up to be hit by Sonic's aerial game.

This should make the match up pretty even, but Snake has one last trump card, the Cypher. A great recovery that appears hard to beat, it can easily cut through a lot of Sonic's gimp attempts, but once you learn how it works, and how to stop it Snake should no longer be a problem.
I'm not so sure you know what you've got your facts right. The cypher is one of Snake's glaring weaknesses. If anything, THAT should be Sonic's opening. It is far from one of Snake's advantages in this fight.

There is no question that Snake has the definitive edge in this match-up. We have superior range, priority, projectile advantage, and weight advantage to name a few. Speed and your B-air are your only friends against Snake.

xsonicx_13

Smash Cadet
my brother's snake is good i beat him 50% of the time while he uses snake and i use sonic

Tenki

Smash Hero
it depends on what your definition of good is.

For example, this argument on the Ness vs Sonic matchup, where a certain Ness player believed that Ness had a complete advantage on Sonic...

Also, to keep the Ness vs Sonic foolproof, I pretty much gone up against a good Sonic player in a six minute match and I ended up getting six points in that six minutes while Sonic on the other hand never got any points. He only got me up to 207%. This happened because the barrage of PKF, the yo-yo, fairs, nairs, bairs and dairs. But than again it could just be because Sonic is very easy to read. Either way, Sonic's speed is his disadvantage and he really has no mindgames.

I was somewhat irked by this and had a few matches with him, convincing him that it was at LEAST neutral (though I personally believe that Ness has a slight advantage, assuming both players know the matchups well), and possibly that the Sonic player he played against, if he was better than any previous Sonic he'd gone against, wasn't really good at all.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
lol@speed being a disadvantage, lol@no mindgames.

I find the matchup neutral personally. The only thing that doesn;t make it in sonics favor for me is ness' tinyness, ugh. But his recovery is way too easily gimped.

lil cj

Smash Lord
yes I blieve his name was empire if any1 heard of him. I beat him once but he sadly beaten me twice. I only can beat snakes with olimars IDK WHY
This is what I learned in the Olimar boards
Between the top 3 characters which are Snake,Metaknight, and Olimar
Its a triangle effect
Snake>MK>Olimar>Snake

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
it depends on what your definition of good is.

For example, this argument on the Ness vs Sonic matchup, where a certain Ness player believed that Ness had a complete advantage on Sonic...

I was somewhat irked by this and had a few matches with him, convincing him that it was at LEAST neutral (though I personally believe that Ness has a slight advantage, assuming both players know the matchups well), and possibly that the Sonic player he played against, if he was better than any previous Sonic he'd gone against, wasn't really good at all.
I like how he called his method "fool proof."
If the person he was playing was bad it wouldn't really matter how many times or for how long he played him.

Ness is an annoying character though. I like screwing up his recovery by dropping a spring on his PK thunder and watching him plummet like a rock to his death.

Oh yeah, and CJ, I wouldn't say Olimar is top 3. Not even top 5. ROB and Marth are definitely better than he is overall. If his recovery wasn't so bad it might be different but there you have it.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Its a triangle effect
Snake>MK>Olimar>Snake
Olimar boards are obviously confused if that is how they see the MU being - lol.

Olimar sucks vs Snake and I'd say Snake vs MK is about even.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Olimar boards are obviously confused if that is how they see the MU being - lol.

Olimar sucks vs Snake and I'd say Snake vs MK is about even.
Does Snake have a weakness??
If not Olimar than Lucas I bet:)
I know for sure Lucas is good against Snake.
I beat Snakes all the time with Lucas.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
good stuff tenki. way to show them that sonic is not some pushover.

I may be a bit optemistic but it appears that The Sonic/Snake matchup is getting closer to even then we think, and if thats the case, it only shows how much BETTER and GAY metaknight is. but anyways...

The use of the ball form moves is the key to this matchup. Due to Sonic's Speed, if used right, and with the intention of mindgameing the crap outta them, Snake has no choice but to stand there and jab, hoping you run into it. This can be stopped by homing attack. this and Dash A are your friends in the beginning. I also like to hover around and be out side of Ftilts range to mess with them.

Then they have to mortar slide. because if they stay in one spot hoping for you to just run into the attacks, you'll slowly pick them apart. That's the main issue that will determine if you can win or at least keep him honest. It may be just me, but a good slider isn't easily grabbed out of, and they like to throw a tilt at the end to keep you honest. I sometimes feel like not doing anything, just block and follow them a bit. For me, once sonic gets that initial grab or knockdown, then Sonic can ans has to deal as much damage as possible on okizeme or wakeup or whatever. I feel like Im getting closer to answering the equation though.

Btw the spin clash vs tilt idea was already discussed in my thread, and im still working on it.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
I'm not so sure you know what you've got your facts right. The cypher is one of Snake's glaring weaknesses. If anything, THAT should be Sonic's opening. It is far from one of Snake's advantages in this fight.

There is no question that Snake has the definitive edge in this match-up. We have superior range, priority, projectile advantage, and weight advantage to name a few. Speed and your B-air are your only friends against Snake.
Sorry I see know I was not clear in my last point. The Cypher is powerful because it negates many of the ways Sonic usually gimps his enemies, by either resisting the hit, or rising above the attack.

Sonic needs a different strategy when attacking the Cypher, such as using Homing Attacks, and grabbing it. In this way Sonic can turn Snakes advantage into his own since it is somewhat easy to gimp the Cypher when you understand it

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Its a triangle effect
Snake>MK>Olimar>Snake
Anytime you quote crownvick, a pit hangs it's head in shame.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I hate this thread.

Why is it so serious? That was not a batman movie reference, I hate when people do that.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Apparently a lot of people have problems with Snake xD
Welcome back from the land of the banned :O

Tenki

Smash Hero
;___; almost beat Ally in wifi a few times.

Fumbled all of them.

10sucksunderpressure:[

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Was there a list dealing with which of Snake's moves Sonic's "ball form" canceled out?

I know that Spin Charge rips right through Nikita Missile, and there was a video a while back that seemed to show an Usmash overpowering Snake dropping a C4. I also seem to remember a Nair taking out a mortar.

So if Sonic's "ball form" attacks are these:

Nair
DownB
SideB
Usmash
Dsmash

Do we know which moves counter which of Snake's moves, and to what effectiveness?
I can beat a pro snake in my clan. Just remember that except for grenades & aerials, Snake can't do much too Sonic if you know what moves break through what.

If I remember right.... xP
Spin Charge breaks though Snake's Dash, Mortar Slide, & Nikita Missile
And Sonic's dash attack breaks through Snake's A combo & F-Tilt

Break though Snake's attacks, avoid his grenades, gimp his recovery, & grab his recovery. Just do all that & play smart, & you'll be a big threat to Snakes.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sorry I see know I was not clear in my last point. The Cypher is powerful because it negates many of the ways Sonic usually gimps his enemies, by either resisting the hit, or rising above the attack.

Sonic needs a different strategy when attacking the Cypher, such as using Homing Attacks, and grabbing it. In this way Sonic can turn Snakes advantage into his own since it is somewhat easy to gimp the Cypher when you understand it
Dairs, nairs, bairs and HA is used to knock Snake off his cypher. Don't we use those to gimp anyway?

And Jiang Wei, that upsmash cancelled the effects of C4 because it was invincibility frames at the top of his mini-jump when he's just hanging there.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
Dairs, nairs, bairs and HA is used to knock Snake off his cypher. Don't we use those to gimp anyway?
Mostly yes, I find the Dair isn't so useful against snake, because I either fail to knock him off, or I hit the cypher and take damage myself.

As for the others, it's the way we use them to take down a Snake that is different, since his recovery is so unique Sonic has to go after it differently then he goes after others. In many ways Sonic can take bigger risks when gimping Snake, which is balanced by the fact that the cypher gives Snake some resistance to Sonic's more common techs

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we hit the chyfer off of snake we take damage but...can he use up b again?
and by that i mean the cypher NOT HIM...I might test this.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
The two People that i play the most with are Snake Mains so im really familiar with this matchup in particular, and i say it is extremely hard for sonic to beat snake, but only when snake knows this match up otherwise is like facing anyone else..... but if u really want to master this matchiup to the fullest u have to train to use Snakes nades agaist him catch the throw hem back make him explode into them all that sort of stuff... sometimes u have to be really patient to do this, and is a real pain since as i Sonic main i like to play Fast and Pwn but thats not how to win this match up u have to play smart here otherwise ur bound to fail............

Top Bottom