• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone here mastered vertical spacing?

_Chrono

Smash Cadet
And if so how do you do it? I usually just slide my finger from Y to the C-Stick but my friend always pushes up on the normal analog stick and down on the C-Stick.

edit: im not talking about just plain spacing in the air. im talking about footstool jump to Dair.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
.... What?

Are you trying to ask... On the Marth Boards... if anyone is able to actually do something that is a MEAR basic element of brawl? That is the same for every character?

_Chrono

Smash Cadet
Well..............yea. I mean I know a few other characters can do it, but its commonly done with marth...............................................just asking.

_Chrono

Smash Cadet
Im talking about the technique where you do a footstool jump and then a Dair. Not just normal spacing.

Edit: the one thats always an instant kill.

Roager

Smash Ace
Right, now that we've covered that the post is NOT talking about spacing in the air, but the actual technique of spacing the dair by footstooling, I'd GUESS (considering I suck at footstools) that the best way to do it would be to hold down, then hit Y/X, then A (immediately). But y to cstick or control stick jump and cstick would work too. Also, for the sake of those newly entering the thread, add to the parent post what exactly you mean.

∫unk

Smash Master
I don't get it.. I ff u-air a lot with good timing to tip it, and can chain it by going up on platforms but is this "vertical spacing"?

This just sounds like continuing a string in the air which has been done since 64.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I really don't know what you are talking about... Do you mean have people mastered spacing for a Dair meteor smash or what? I'm sorry, I'm just really confused...

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe hardly anyone knows what vertical spacing is. Its like the only name there is for it too. People on Gamefaqs have known about this forever too.

its this. watch at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUNNpTnfNZw
You mean footstool -> Dair?

Vertical spacing is too vague. It could mean spacing your uairs when juggling.

And footstool to dair isn't all that hard. Its just jump button to c stick. The problem is going to be you, you're not moving your fingers fast enough.

_Chrono

Smash Cadet
Vertical spacing is a horrible name for it seeing how its not really spacing as it is a move but I didnt come up with it. And I can do it quick enough just not 100% percent of the time.

And for people who still dont understand it.

1. You do a footstool jump on your opponent.

2. You use your Dair

3. if timed right, your opponent goes flying downward like a meteor smash except the footstool jump gives the spike hitstun.

It can work at really low percentages and usually used as a finisher for combos. The characters I know that can do it are Marth, ROB, and toon link. Its the hardest with toon link. Just type in "ssbb vertical spacing and there should be plenty of videos.

Flameheart

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure he's asking if people have mastered being able to footstooljump to D-air.

I haven't really thought about it because I don't think it'll work against a good player. Footstool jump requires you to be directly above the opponents head without attacking him, then jumping. A good player, in my opinion, would hit you away before you even get the chance to do this.

I suppose it could work on a good player if they use their upB and can't move or cannot attack you for any other reason.

Still, it looks really cool to do and I'm gonna practice it anyway.

Denzi

Smash Master
I've heard it called vertical spacing countless times.
I can land the Footstool, but the Dair always seems to miss/come out too late.(I slide my finger from jump to A while holding down.) It's much easier to do with TLink.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I've done this here and there, but I only use Marth for the sexy spike after I beat a friends Marth. (just for the lulz of "haha I don't main him but I can spike (not play) better then joo!"

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yes. it's situational, but u have to realize that it doesn't actually look like you "foot stooled" them, rather, ur dair seemed to snap into place automatically, because by the time the animation goes, it's usually too late.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Whoa, this thread managed to complicate something REALLY simple. Footstool -> Dair is 50% timing and 50% luck. Its only possible to master half of this move, the rest is waiting for opportuninty. Unless you can master being lucky, this move is incapable of being fully mastereed. As for execution, c-stick is the way to go.

IDK

Smash Lord
isnt vertical spacing where you just tip the dair, not involving the actual footstool whatsoever?
@backlash, it is 100% effective if timed correctly and you DI towards the direction the character is facing during the dair.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I believe the point Backlash was trying to make is that good players wouldn't just let you Footstool them.

Anyway, recently, I've been using Tap Jump to footstool, and the Cstick to Dair, making this a purely stick maneuver.

Vertical Spacing is not the name of this move. GameFAQs is not the best place to look for Smash terminology.

And mostly I just spike people without footstooling.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188570

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I am good at doing this, not perfectly, but pretty much if I get a FS I can 89% of the time Spike it.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Seeing you need to be moving up during you Dair ( Or you kill yourself) , you can occasionally land it by accident, attempting a regular meteor smash.
If you master the meteor, you can easily start mastering the footstool right before the dair.
It's pretty hard to ever meteor smash a good opponent, but once you master it, any meteor attempt is fatal.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Actually its WAY safer not to footstool dair people. Think about it, when you tipper the dair normally, you have a gap of safety between you and your opponent created by your sword. To get off the footstool, you have to actually make contact with the other character. The time between you leaving tipper dair range and actually touching your opponent leaves you vulerable to an attack. The normal dair spike is just as effective as the footstooled one with a bonus of range safety.

legion598

Smash Ace
in order to make this move fast enough to use confidently it would require u to actually FF into the foot stool and marth isnt a very good fastfaller so this tech isnt that useful ur much better off doing a d-air spike actually the best thing to do is just go for a gimp

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
actually the best thing to do is just go for a gimp

Of course, this is true. But not in every situation can you actually gimp properly. ( You could try for the very risky Dolphin Stagespike, or Fair gimps respectively) but right next to the stage, you just have to attempt a meteor, if any kind of gimp or chase.

holla at yo marth

Smash Cadet
I don't really understand what you're asking?
If you're asking about the footsool-dair combo, just go into practice mode and practice it over and over until you get the hang of it
:dizzy:

Top Bottom