• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So if you guys did see the Weekly Update on Friday, we get the Auto Update this week that is supposed to fix the melee system and a few other things. Woooo. Bungie will also be showing one of the maps in the next DLC pack sometime this week on their website, so keep an eye out for that.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Halo 3 AutoUpdate

"In the wee hours of Wednesday, Feb 20th, PST, the Halo 3 AutoUpdate will go live, and address some minor bugs and gameplay issues."

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13280

not that i know of, but i know that bungie fixed the scoring in matchmaking so you loose points for SDs, so you can't SD out the clock, wich stinks if your partner quits in doubles in a really close game.
That's good to hear, I've read on various Halo 3 forums that if you're winning by a few points in a Team Doubles game, you can just commit suicide and it won't deduct any points so it's basically impossible for your opponents to kill you, unless you spawn near them and they kill or shoot you (counts as their kill) when you commit suicide (i.e throw a grenade at your feet).

But I've seen screenshots and read topics on how to get out of narrows. Like I saw in the screenshots that the guy is near the portal and he jumps off the cliff and lands on this hidden area at the bottom of narrows and hides there for the reminder of the game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Eh? Are the maps from a while ago DL yet?

I decided to not pay for it and just wait till "whatever" date is.
They said that the "Heroic Map Pack" will be free in Spring 08 so I wouldn't count on them being free till March or April.

Waiting for the map packs in the halo series to become free is a good move IMO cause when I bought Halo 2, I just waited till all the map packs became free (only because i got halo 2 when halo 3 was almost out) instead of paying for them (like my friends did, and I did laugh at them when i downloaded them for free :p).

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
**** yeah auto update tomorrow. Looks like I'll be playing Halo all day tomorrow picking apart the new melee system.

F8AL, I always do the opposite. I download maps right when they're available and laugh at my friends who are too cheap to spend the money on them. It's especially hilarious when they want to play custom games... on the old maps. "Sorry, I'm going to go play the new maps."

And considering how terrible most of the maps are that came on the Halo 3 disc... I have no problem buying more maps, as I just don't want to play those ****ty disc maps.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
So if you guys did see the Weekly Update on Friday, we get the Auto Update this week that is supposed to fix the melee system and a few other things. Woooo. Bungie will also be showing one of the maps in the next DLC pack sometime this week on their website, so keep an eye out for that.
Hey I don't actually own a 360, but i play 4v4 lan alot with friends. How exactly is the melee system being fixed? I thought the general idea was if you beat down at the same time whoever has less health gets hit. I always thought it seemed buggy, but i thought that was because I was a silly scrub. What's wrong with it?

Also I'm curious what some of you have done in forge? I think the most fun we've had was a parallel man canon tube for jousting. Also CoD4 style trench warfare, including airstrikes.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
the problem with the melee system was that the time period considered "simultaneous" was too long. You can literally watch your screen, wait for your opponent to melee you, then melee back and still win.

The basic idea is a good one. If there is no period of "simultaneous" melee strikes, then players closest to the host are given a significant advantage.

Oh, gg's goofy. That was some fun **** last night. We gotta do that again, I want to get up to skill of 40.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Just playing 5 or so games today I already experienced the new melee system twice. I'm pretty sure it was in my advantage one time and my oppenents another. I didn't really have a problem with the old melee system, to be honest- but whatever.

Mky762

Smash Journeyman
Yes! thank god they fixed the melee system, i was having trouble with that all the time, good to know that they fixed it. Cant wait to go back on :)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I swear now that they fixed the melee system I never get into situations where I need to melee. I've gone about 20 matches today only getting about 3 beat downs. Need to get Guardian or something to really test it out.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, the melee fix wasn't what I expected it to be. But I think I like this better. Here's how it works.

The window for "simultaneous" melees (called melee contests by bungie) is 100ms, essentially 3 frames. What they did is not shorten this window. What they did was put in a little stipulation that says "If you have a melee contest, and you're both close in health, then you both die" Because previously, the winner would go scott free, with a shred of HP.

I personally think this is a wonderful change. It gets rid of that situation where both players are close and the winner is chosen essentially arbitrarily, with the winner walking away alive.

Anyone gonna be on tonight? Cashed, you on? I can be in like an hour or something.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I played doubles with my friend yesterday;

What I've noticed about the melee, is that there's a lot more BS deaths from it (depending on the situation).

Example, guy runs at me with a sword, after I've shot at him, and then I toss out a melee; We both die.

Guy fires at me twice, after full shields, we melee, I die.

It's worked out better in some situations too; where we've both had ample shield drops, and then a melee, and we both die (happened a lot).

I think this new system IS for the better, though.

smashman90

Smash Lord
One thing still kinda puzzles me though, if Bungie is so annoyed about people wondering how to get the recon armor, then why not make it as DLC? I mean, the only reason why people seem to want it is because they don't have it. The armor isn't that spectacular at all. If they make it as DLC, then it will get rid of all the annoying people trying to get it. They will finally have it and will quit pestering Bungie. Maybe while they're at it, they could make other new armors.

Btw, might have a snow day tomorrow(already have one today), so I might be on for a long time tonight and tomorrow night.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The first map of the Legendary Map Pack has been revealed by Bungie. What was once known as OK Corral is now known as:

Ghost Town

"Essentially Ghost Town is an asymmetric map designed for 4v4 encounters, it’s meant to be a strong infantry map where you get a nice range of close combat and longer range. The spaces are set up to allow two to three person squads a good bit of operating room and several tactical options. As an asymmetric map it’s designed for things like One Bomb, and One Flag, it also creates a great environment for FFA and team slayer. Overall though, the map is more general purpose and of course balancing is done with an eye towards our more popular game types."

Lovely art direction on the map. Looks like it's pretty small too, I'm assuming the last picture is where the offense starts and the building looks like it's right there, unless there's more than one building, which is probably the case. Anyhoo, happy to see it looks pretty small. Halo 3 still lacks small maps.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, I really dig the art style and stuff. Not too thrilled with it being blatantly asymmetrical, but we'll see how it plays.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hey everyone, ummmm I'll be online playing Halo 3 tomorrow (Friday) around 4 PM EST, I would love to play ranked BTB with all of you or something we can all agree on. What do you guys say?

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
ARGH... My b-day is on sunday. Who knows how much money I'll be getting... but I'll probably be on those 2-day trails until I actually see some excess money in my wallet to buy an Xbox Live card...

and the money I'd be getting SHOULD be for Brawl...

So I can't do ranked at the moment, dude... xD

Social playlists FTW?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
ARGH... My b-day is on sunday. Who knows how much money I'll be getting... but I'll probably be on those 2-day trails until I actually see some excess money in my wallet to buy an Xbox Live card...

and the money I'd be getting SHOULD be for Brawl...

So I can't do ranked at the moment, dude... xD

Social playlists FTW?
I know...i told you that those codes only let you play halo 3 unranked playlists. but at least they work perfectly with cod4 and gears. :)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That stage looks cool, I wonder how long Bungie is going to update Halo. It'd be nice to see more new weapons, armor, vehicles, game types and stages in the future.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
That stage looks cool, I wonder how long Bungie is going to update Halo. It'd be nice to see more new weapons, armor, vehicles, game types and stages in the future.
Well, I'd expect them to continue supporting it through out the rest of this gen, especially if it's the final Halo. Halo 2 received 4 map packs, 2 of them coming about 5 months after release (which was waaaay too long), another coming out about 3 months later and the final map pack (which wasn't created by Bungie, but by ex-Bungie employees at a company called Certain Affinity) came out in... I think it was March or April of 2007. Bungie knows how much their fans love the game, but they do have other stuff to do. Hopefully they've got enough employees now to keep at least a small team on the side constantly making new maps for Halo 3.

The way Bungie works with DLC though, you will not be seeing new weapons or vehicles. They may add more armor, but I'd say that's a stretch as well. It'll be mostly maps, which is the best DLC anyway.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Got to Brigadier Grade 2 today, pretty depressing....Guess i will never get my general. Away for the weekend, but I am down for some RBTB again this sunday or monday. Hit me up.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, I'd expect them to continue supporting it through out the rest of this gen, especially if it's the final Halo. Halo 2 received 4 map packs, 2 of them coming about 5 months after release (which was waaaay too long), another coming out about 3 months later and the final map pack (which wasn't created by Bungie, but by ex-Bungie employees at a company called Certain Affinity) came out in... I think it was March or April of 2007. Bungie knows how much their fans love the game, but they do have other stuff to do. Hopefully they've got enough employees now to keep at least a small team on the side constantly making new maps for Halo 3.

The way Bungie works with DLC though, you will not be seeing new weapons or vehicles. They may add more armor, but I'd say that's a stretch as well. It'll be mostly maps, which is the best DLC anyway.
That's still good to hear, it's always good to see a great game get additional content even after release [just as long as devs don't hold back launch content on purpose]. From what I've seen there aren't that many small maps, hopefully they get more.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The game shipped with way too many medium sized maps, Guardian is the only map I'd call small that came on the disc. There were only two big levels on the disc too, Valhalla and Sandtrap. So yeah, Halo 3 definitely needs more big and small maps, there's way too many medium sized maps.

The Heroic Map pack included Foundry, which I'd say is small. Standoff is another medium map, but probably the best medium map. Rat's Nest is big and really hard to get around on, definitely the worst in the Heroic Map Pack. Ghost Town looks larger than I originally thought after seeing Bungie's Weekly Update on their site today, the screen shots they released yesterday only show one side of the map. Cotton Ball is supposedly Sidewinder (from Halo 1), so that'll be a **** big map, and the other map, Moonlight Sonata is supposedly Lockout, another small map. :)

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
The game shipped with way too many medium sized maps, Guardian is the only map I'd call small that came on the disc. There were only two big levels on the disc too, Valhalla and Sandtrap. So yeah, Halo 3 definitely needs more big and small maps, there's way too many medium sized maps.

The Heroic Map pack included Foundry, which I'd say is small. Standoff is another medium map, but probably the best medium map. Rat's Nest is big and really hard to get around on, definitely the worst in the Heroic Map Pack. Ghost Town looks larger than I originally thought after seeing Bungie's Weekly Update on their site today, the screen shots they released yesterday only show one side of the map. Cotton Ball is supposedly Sidewinder (from Halo 1), so that'll be a **** big map, and the other map, Moonlight Sonata is supposedly Lockout, another small map. :)
I miss Sidewinder. :D I'll be happy to see that map again.

Still hoping for Blood Gulch/Coagulation.

Top Bottom