• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo 2/3 and Brawl are not comparable. So stop bashing Halo.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
*coughcough2Dfightercoughcough*
*cough that's what makes it a unique game, not just another fighter where you circle your opponent and start mashing every button on the controller hoping to strike a combo. Brawl sticks out above the other fighters whereas Halo recycles qualities that are not at all unique. cough*

God Link

Smash Cadet
I have played Halo 1 2 and 3, they are fun when you first play them, but after that you get bored of it. Even with online, it doesn't have Infinite replay value like Melee does and especially now with the Stage Builder, Wi-fi and more to come, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will defintity have Infinite replay value.

When I say I could play Brawl 24/7, I mean actually all day long without getting bored for it. I never get bored of it because you can always learn new techniques, mindgames, and other skills to add to your arsenal. Tournaments are fun and you learn so much.

Halo doesn't really depend on your own skills 100% because your in an open field and never know when you can get sniped for the other side of the map. All skill is in that game is your accuracy and when you know how to apply the tools you have, utilise all of it. Smash has Infinite combinations because your from a side view, the animation looks neat, and im my personal opinion its way better.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
alternitive controls such as...
i know an even more anoying group of nerds. they're fanboys of a company that made a purple lunch box
Lern2read

I am CLEARLY a PC fanboy, if you can call it that. (that's like saying "I'm a car fanboy").

Mouse + Keyboard > Gamepad, Wiimote, whatever. No method of control has surpassed it, and none will until someone figures out how to make games read my thoughts.

Don't get me wrong. I cede that gamepads are great for fighting games. No argument there. FPS's, though? Seriously, don't kid yourself.

Also, Halo sucks.

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
So many bad vibes on this thread. I say add MC to Brawl and just settle out these disputes the way smashers like to end "this-char-can-own-your-char" arguments.

Shock the Hedgehog

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockhog
i don't hate nintendo. i don't hate ALL of their fan boys. i just hate the ones that are annoying and bash anything non-nintendo without even playing them, then go on to say nintendo is a god.(yes their re people out their like that)
And Halo fanboys don't do that for Halo/Bungie/Xbox? In fact, fanboys for just about anything are pretty annoying, unless they can be reasonable that is, and give a more fair judgement. (But then again, I guess that wouldn't make them fanboys <.< )

JJFMJR

Smash Cadet
I am a nintendo fan boy. I have never owned a system outside of Nintendo's box. However, I have played Halo 2, and I play the multiplayer with my friends every weekend. I can safely say that it is AMAZINGly fun, and if you deny that it's good, please, I urge you to answer this question, have you even PLAYED It?

But Halo and Smash Brothers are in totally different realms of fighting.

TWO different realms of fighting.

Halo takes the first person perspective, so having a screen to yourself is better than splitting it up. With smash brothers, there is no need for another TV because playing by yourself or with 3 other people makes no difference on the quality of the game play.

Halo is amazingly fun. And so is Brothers, too. But they are fun in different ways, and they go about different aspects about fighting, so I'm sick of all of you saying halo sucks because it does not, and how Brawl is better - because it ISNT.

But Halo isn't better than Smash brothers either - they are uncomparable, and both EXCELLENT games.

Thank you.

:chuckle:
Not quite sure what has started this thread, but I feel it's safe to say that I have played all three Halo games, and I own both previous Smash Bros games. Halo is a good game, but it's no more than a first person shooter, You see it everywhere. In my opinion James Bond Goldeneye for the N64 is ten times better. Halo is vastly overated, it is fun, but not nearly as amusing as presumed. For those of you who play Halo, you need to play SSBM or SSBB when it comes out. Or atleast James Bond GoldenEye. Maybe you can see an amazing shooter game.

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
True they are not comparable, yet....
Simply because Brawl isn't out yet.
Come then BRING IT HALO FANBOYS!!!!!!

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I think that the biggest reason people often compare the two is that they're both their respective console's big game, and people like to feel that the game that they support the most is the one that is the better game. Sure, they're not in anyway similar in style, but as what they mean to their fans, I think you can see why this is an arguement and why people post about it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
True. But I won't stop bashing Halo. It's unoriginal **** that has somehow been marketed to konsole kids who will apparently buy any game so long as it has its own soft drink. The concepts are old. The writing is mediocre. The graphics are not impressive. The weapons are not original. The game types have been done to death. The method of control in itself is infuriatingly inferior to the alternative. Making custom content and distributing it is a pain in the ***. There are no alternatives to XBox Live which costs money on top of your Cable/DSL bill. The game has all around less potential for not having the versatility of a PC platform, and somehow gets away with marketing decade-old cliches as fun and original. Oh yeah, and people who play Halo? Don't get me started on them. I've never met a more annoying crowd of nerds. Sure, PC FPS players are geeky, MMO players are just plain creepy in person, and your console fighting game guys can get a bit overzealous. But console FPS players? Elitist cocksuckers who have devoted their time and patience to becoming good at a game that, when compared to the pace of a PC FPS, become laughably slow and sloppy, illuminated by the quick and perfectly precise playstyle of the originals.
</rant>
Wall 'o text + contradiction = rant [apparently]

Are you sure you aren't one of those nerds? You sound more elitist than they do.

Here's an example:

Lern2read

I am CLEARLY a PC fanboy, if you can call it that. (that's like saying "I'm a car fanboy").

Mouse + Keyboard > Gamepad, Wiimote, whatever. No method of control has surpassed it, and none will until someone figures out how to make games read my thoughts.

Don't get me wrong. I cede that gamepads are great for fighting games. No argument there. FPS's, though? Seriously, don't kid yourself.

Also, Halo sucks.
Not everyone has the time and money to deal with requirements and technical know-how. PC gaming is much harder to get into and much less constant than console gaming. No one wants to buy a graphics card today only to find out they need another to play a game they are planning to buy.

I find that PC gamers are much more arrogant than any kind. My friend gets like this sometimes which is why no one really talks to him about games.

P.S. I've played James bond 64 it's more overrated than Halo. Nothing special there.

Foxy

Smash Master
P.S. I've played James bond 64 it's more overrated than Halo. Nothing special there.
That's like saying, "Oh yeah, the other day I went and played The Legend of Zelda, you know, the first one, and I just don't know, the graphics weren't great and it was pretty boring."

I'm not going to take the time to explain what I mean by that.

For those of you who understand it, have a cookie.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
My standards have risen, I see nothing wrong with that. I'm just not a N64 person. SNES was way better to me, it's a good reminder of when Nintendo actually cared about what games people made for their system [with the occasional sucky games around].

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Wall 'o text + contradiction = rant [apparently]

Are you sure you aren't one of those nerds? You sound more elitist than they do.
Be nice if you noted the contradiction rather than typing up inane formulas and condescending comments. But I'll play along.

Not everyone has the time and money to deal with requirements and technical know-how. PC gaming is much harder to get into and much less constant than console gaming. No one wants to buy a graphics card today only to find out they need another to play a game they are planning to buy.

I find that PC gamers are much more arrogant than any kind. My friend gets like this sometimes which is why no one really talks to him about games.

So what you're basically saying is that elitist Halo "pros" (haha) are playing Halo because they're not smart enough to build or order a PC capable of playing the decade-old games from which Halo derived all of it's concepts, story, and gameplay.

You then say that no one wants to upgrade their graphics card, which displays two things: 1) you don't keep up with the speed at which technology moves (I haven't upgraded my card for a year and still run games at full spec.); And 2) you like ignoring obvious facts, like how a new console comes out every four to six years, costing upwards of 500 dollars, which actually ends up quite even with the cost of upgrading your PC (except that when you upgrade a PC, it stays current, rather than instantly lagging behind the new standard for four to six years).

Finally, PC gamers are arrogant because they're tired of seeing the games they've been playing for five or ten years on an XBox and all of a sudden it's OMGWTF Cool. It also has to do with the fact that playing with a mouse allows you to make accurate shots very quickly, while playing with a gamepad, even when the computer cheats for you (helps you aim), leaves players cursing the sky as their characters takes five seconds to do an about face.

Also, if you can see Bond 64 as being overrated, I find it ironic that you can't draw the comparison between Bond and Halo, both being Console games with ****ty control mechanics that copied things from ancient PC games.

Oh yeah, and being correct doesn't make me an elitist. Being such a **** about it makes me an *******, but I'm already well aware of that and need no one to point it out to me.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Correct.

Save the part about Halo being good.

Go play Unreal Tournament, and then tell me Halo is good =|

SiD

Smash Master
*Goes and plays Unreal Tournament*

Halo is still good. I don't understand why some PC gamers can't accept that just because the PC already has good games, Halo is still good. I hate people that hate things for the sole reason that they're overrated.

Mama

Smash Ace

Halo is still good. I don't understand why some PC gamers can't accept that just because the PC already has good games, Halo is still good. I hate people that hate things for the sole reason that they're overrated.
ME TOO!!!

You'll find them all over the internet. Its my pet peeve. I hate sooooo much. People who hate Final Fantasy VII (or the whole series), people who hate Halo, and on these forums people who hate the advanced techniques. More often than not the people who hate things due to overratedness use recycled reasons they see other people say never their own opinion.

Correct.

Save the part about Halo being good.

Go play Unreal Tournament, and then tell me Halo is good =|
How would one game being good make another game not good? I could just as easily tell you to go pick up the Orange Box and tell me Unreal Tournament is still good. Does that seem logical at all?

Lant

Smash Journeyman
ME TOO!!!

You'll find them all over the internet. Its my pet peeve. I hate sooooo much. People who hate Final Fantasy VII (or the whole series), people who hate Halo, and on these forums people who hate the advanced techniques. More often than not the people who hate things due to overratedness use recycled reasons they see other people say never their own opinion.

How would one game being good make another game not good? I could just as easily tell you to go pick up the Orange Box and tell me Unreal Tournament is still good. Does that seem logical at all?
But UT and Orange Box are both good.

Halo is not.

And for the record, FF VII is crap in my opinion too, I don't exactly hate advanced techniques, but I'm not obsessed with them, I don't need them. Sure, I'm being cocky, but I have the actions to back up the words.

Halo is just a FPS, it's fun, sure. But it's not really that good a game. As for overratedness and recycled reasons, I could make a 10,000 word post about why I dislike FF7 and Halo, but I'm not going to. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to yours, fair game.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what would happen if someone asked if Brawl would be better than Halo on the Halo forums. *imagines* *laughs*
They wouldnt know what Smash is. Smash Bros fans have delusions of grandeur, everyone assumes this game is being eagerly awaited by the entire gaming community but I can asure you the only people waiting for this where Melee players and Smash fans like ourselves.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So what you're basically saying is that elitist Halo "pros" (haha) are playing Halo because they're not smart enough to build or order a PC capable of playing the decade-old games from which Halo derived all of it's concepts, story, and gameplay.
Nope. I'm saying console gamers are generally not smart or don't care enough to build or order a gaming PC. It's helluva lot more expensive than console gaming, and it's easier to screw something up on your PC with the overwhelming options and availabilities PCs have.

Generally, PCs are more hardcore.

You then say that no one wants to upgrade their graphics card, which displays two things: 1) you don't keep up with the speed at which technology moves (I haven't upgraded my card for a year and still run games at full spec.); And 2) you like ignoring obvious facts, like how a new console comes out every four to six years, costing upwards of 500 dollars, which actually ends up quite even with the cost of upgrading your PC (except that when you upgrade a PC, it stays current, rather than instantly lagging behind the new standard for four to six years).
PCs are much more specific than consoles, you don't have to worry about buying a game that isn't compatible with you console because it's pretty obvious which games are compatible.

Personally, I've never had a good experience PC gaming. My PCs are all hand me downs and buying a gaming PC would cost upwards of $5000 [locally]. And then I still have to worry about paying for any DLC I want and the cost of the internet bill.

Finally, PC gamers are arrogant because they're tired of seeing the games they've been playing for five or ten years on an XBox and all of a sudden it's OMGWTF Cool. It also has to do with the fact that playing with a mouse allows you to make accurate shots very quickly, while playing with a gamepad, even when the computer cheats for you (helps you aim), leaves players cursing the sky as their characters takes five seconds to do an about face.
I have to agree with you here. One thing I hate about most console shooters is how they help people aim at you. I'd love for good shots to take more skill without being impossible [I'm looking at you Killzone]

Also, if you can see Bond 64 as being overrated, I find it ironic that you can't draw the comparison between Bond and Halo, both being Console games with ****ty control mechanics that copied things from ancient PC games.
I agree that Halo is overrated, but it's only overrated because shooters are normally generic on consoles. Online normally lacks good matchmaking, some don't stop cheaters, some even take down servers after a while. Halo's big hit is multiplayer and without that it would be just another drop in a bucket of shooters.

Oh yeah, and being correct doesn't make me an elitist. Being such a **** about it makes me an *******, but I'm already well aware of that and need no one to point it out to me.
Ok, my mistake.

Agreed. I believe I will look at Halo the same way I look at Goldeneye 64 now. Classics are hard to make and Halo and Bond aren't really classic material, successors will come about and make older games redundant. I find RPGs and RTS' are harder to improve so they last much much longer.

dbz22

Smash Apprentice
Yea halo is not comparable to ssb. I have halo 2,3 and ssbm and got to say halo is a great game and they are much different. Why would my newcomer master chief not show up?

SiD

Smash Master
But UT and Orange Box are both good.

Halo is not.

And for the record, FF VII is crap in my opinion too, I don't exactly hate advanced techniques, but I'm not obsessed with them, I don't need them. Sure, I'm being cocky, but I have the actions to back up the words.

Halo is just a FPS, it's fun, sure. But it's not really that good a game. As for overratedness and recycled reasons, I could make a 10,000 word post about why I dislike FF7 and Halo, but I'm not going to. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to yours, fair game.
See, you pretty much proved my theory that you only hate Halo because it's "overrated". Something can be overrated and still be good. Halo has a good story, great gameplay, and pretty much perfected controls for a console shooter. Stop being so elitist.

Mama

Smash Ace
See, you pretty much proved my theory that you only hate Halo because it's "overrated". Something can be overrated and still be good. Halo has a good story, great gameplay, and pretty much perfected controls for a console shooter. Stop being so elitist.
I think his problem is he doesn't realize that he only hates Halo due to its popularity. Same thing with FF VII. While FF IX and VIII were my favorites from the PS1 I still tip my hat to VII for having a solid story, atmosphere, characters, and worlds. An unbiased view would let you judge something and not call it "crap" but rather judge it based on categories and standards.

Lant is probably in the denial phase. When he realizes his foolish ways I'm sure he'll re examine himself lol.

And Yes Halo is a good game on all levels. It may not be perfect in some fields but it is definitely not trash.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
- good story
- great gameplay
- great control

Are you sure you're playing Halo?

veil222

Smash Journeyman
If anyone pays 5000$ for a gaming pc Imma smack them and tell them I can build them one for 500$, any PC that's over 1500$ is half-hype and you pay for the brand.

On topic, I don't like halo, not at all because of the game itself, it's the general crowd of people who play it and think they're awesome at shooters. Mostly, it's the "I played EA sports games for 2 years and now I play halo, I totally own with a rocket launcher cause my friends never dodge".

That, and I generally dislike the control scheme of console shooters, x/y/z axis aiming just seems all in all inferior to a mouse and keyboard.

I loved the halo port to pc, was alot of fun, but now if you want a recent halo port, you've gotta have vista. So, I probably won't be playing h2-3.

Compared to brawl, well, the only things you can compare are production quality, response to fan base, overall appeal, and all the other things that apply to any game. Halo has a big crowd of people that woulden't be gamers (I use that term loosely, playing halo for a year does NOT make you a **** gamer) that eat up every release. The wii in general has a similar crowd and though melee has a section of hardcore gamers, Sakurai wants both mass appeal and fan loyalty.

Really I rank them about the same in quality, I'm just not a halo fan.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
yea its a pretty stupid comparison. Ssbb is an action game Halo 2/3 is an Fps. 2 totally different types of games

Shuma

Smash Hero
Opinion threads should be locked, this whole thread is based on opinion, some thing Halo is good, some think it's not. some think it's overrated some think it's not, some think it's better than smash others think that it isn't.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I personally find Halo rather clumsy-feeling for a shooter, then again, shooters were never my forte. Although for strange reasons, I adapt to Metroid Prime quite a fair bit better than I do to Halo and most other shooters. ><

Super Smash Brothers on the other hand has relatively simple controls that go into a lot of depth. And the big thing that it does is introduce a large cast of characters. That's something I simply don't get out of Halo and other shooters. There's one guy, and there's some weapons and vehicles I guess in Halo. In Smash, there's multiple characters with entirely different physics, and many more items to boot, plus stages that have bigger variety IMO. Smash if you ask me outperforms Halo effectively in variety and replay value.

Call me biased against shooters I guess. =P

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Halo 1 was absolutely fantastic, story, gameplay visuals all sexy. The jump to Halo 2 was good because it was quite a big jump, I also loved seeing the Covenant's side of things and learning more about their culture and society. Then Halo 3 came, it wasn't as big a jump from Halo 2, as Halo 2 was from Halo 1; I was left pretty underwhelmed to be honest.

One of my favourite gaming moments was the first level you encounter the flood, was pretty shocking for me (I went into Halo knowing nothing about it). Halo 3 is just... Meh. It either should've come out mmuch earlier or been much better story/visually. I mean with FPS's such as Crysis, FEAR, Bioshock, whatever, there was just too much, and too high quality for me to be blown away as I was with Halo 1.

Smash Bros. is just fantastic xD I mean seriously, if you want to play a game 'like' SSB, you have to play SSB, there is no replacement, or clone that fills the gap as you would find with an FPS. This is also one of Nintendo's main hooks, it's first party games, you just cannot find a replacement for them if you are itching to play a game of the sort. Also the amount of variables present in every round of SSB you play pretty much puts the replayability through the roof.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I play Halo a fair bit online and im not going to lie..........Its just to pass the time till Brawl comes out.(plus its all alot of my friends do)Halo and Halo 2 alright games,nothing special.....Halo 3.....was quoted as "game of the century"I say more like "Overhyped and soulless money making dissapointment of the century"

The sheer fact that after you finish Campain(which was dissapointing at best) you need to fork out 20-60 euro to REALLY enjoy the game seems like exploitation to me.There is no way they need that much money to keep online play running smoothly,which it doesn't a 1/4 of the time.(Its selfish)If Nintendo can do it for free and wireless on a console that costs half as much why can't Bungie/Microsoft(Oh and you need to fork out another 80 euro for wireless X box 360 wireless router)The answer is simple Nintendo care about their gamers/fans,Microsoft care,but only about making money.This is just my opinion and im sure a considerable majority agree.

I want to go on but i might be here for a while.....

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
i agree... brawl and halo 3 are both great games and are uncomparable... but... halo 3 does seem to lean more towards multiplayer. as does brawl... but i have been a bit confused lately about what Sakurai is doing... wasn't recording your gameplay and taking pictures and sending these things to other people... well... halos idea first? do you think he may be copying a bit? the only thing he has that halo doesnt have is making FULLY customizable maps making them from scratch. anyways i still won't compare these games as there both good. the main reaosn for the wii is brawl and the main reason for the 360 is halo. oh... and pikavill if you beat the game on legendary theres another ending mastercheif doesn't die. the ship that the arbiter and the mastercheif was on splits in two and they go seperate ways.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
i dont want to talk so much becuase...
i could rip the sh£t into Halo3 and as for brawl i could only complain about emm....goldeen and thats about it..sure people may say that halo was the first to have online recordin etc but what if brawl had focused on that first.then halo wouldve copiaed them.(highly unlicky)

SiD

Smash Master
Well, even if he is copying Halo, so what? Copying a good idea is a FANTASTIC thing to do, it makes games better.

But yeah, Halo 3 is AWESOME, Brawl will most likely be AWESOME, so I still don't get this argument.

SiD

Smash Master
Only because Melee took so long to get a sequel. It still sold less than Halo 2, with twice the time, so that's a moot point anyway.

Top Bottom