• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo 2/3 and Brawl are not comparable. So stop bashing Halo.

SiD

Smash Master
RoyalRook, your ****ty reasoning never ceases to amaze me.

knight, what you're talking about in Halo 3 is only caused by network latency and host issues, something that could just as easily happen to Brawl. Halo 3 isn't broken, online just has it's share of problems.

Oh, and Halo 2 was WAY more broken than Halo 3.

Oh, good point though. Why can't people just enjoy both games? I do, I love Halo and I love Smash. Why does there need to be any sort of rivalry between them?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wonder what makes these Nintendo fanboys think they are so much better than people who mostly play Halo/GTA/Madden? You're even more of slaves to a brand than they are. The same kind of zombie consumers let Nintendo get Mario into homes every 10 seconds on some new stupid gimmick.
QFT. We've been playing Mario, Zelda and Metroid for years. They're the same games from the same series that were started at least a decade ago.

Nothing is wrong with that, but anyone who does this has no right to bash other people for buying every Halo/GTA or EA game that comes out.

I may have sounded like a n00b, but the fact is even though HALO is popular and all I just don't like it for some odd reason, and how can the thread creator point out that Brawl doesn't compare? of course they do because Brawl has a large community and will be and possibly on of Nintendo's biggest selling games of all time, sure the "geeky" HALO community may be much larger, but I believe overtime Brawl or rather Smash will reach that level
Actually we are the 'geeky' ones. You can play Halo or GTA and be cool to everyone at school but you can't play Mario or Zelda and expect to get the same respect so easily. Most people still think Nintendo is kiddy and you're fooling yourself if you think playing 'hardcore' stuff makes you look bad. The only people the hardcore guys look bad to are the nerds/geeks, who they don't even care about.

Ummm Brawl could become one of the greatest fighting game ever created, but in turn halo will never become one of the greats in the FPS genre, simply b/c of it's a console shooter, Halo sucks, case closed.

Spoken like a true Nintendo fanboy. Maybe if your head wasn't so far up Nintendo's *** you would know there are other fighting games that are equally as good, or better than Smash.

Here's a small list outside the Nintendo games you worship:
Guilty Gear
Street Fighter
Virtual Fighter
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom
Tekken

It's no wonder people hate Nintendo fanboys so much, they get one game that is good and suddenly they think it rules the genre. I for one am glad I'm not some blind fanboy anymore. When you remove your head from Nintendos *** maybe you will still have time to play games that don't have nintendo on it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Funny thing about the Halo games... they seem so popular (especially first two) but overall Microsoft is running at a loss right now with the Xbox. You would think Microsoft and its parties would be able to get a profit off the xbox.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Red Exodus;
QFT. We've been playing Mario, Zelda and Metroid for years. They're the same games from the same series that were started at least a decade ago.

Nothing is wrong with that, but anyone who does this has no right to bash other people for buying every Halo/GTA or EA game that comes out.
True. All games from the same series change very little so I don't see why Halo not completely changing its gameplay isan issue. Unless the gameplay completely sucks there is no reason to change it.

Actually we are the 'geeky' ones. You can play Halo or GTA and be cool to everyone at school but you can't play Mario or Zelda and expect to get the same respect so easily. Most people still think Nintendo is kiddy and you're fooling yourself if you think playing 'hardcore' stuff makes you look bad. The only people the hardcore guys look bad to are the nerds/geeks, who they don't even care about.
(cleans spitballs off face and pulls wedgie out of underwhere) You can say that again. Unfair as it may be, Halo is what is known as a hardcore game. Which translates to it having tons of blood, gore, and shooting.

Spoken like a true Nintendo fanboy. Maybe if your head wasn't so far up Nintendo's *** you would know there are other fighting games that are equally as good, or better than Smash.

Here's a small list outside the Nintendo games you worship:
Guilty Gear
Street Fighter
Virtual Fighter
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom
Tekken
You know, I don't think we should classify Smash as a fighting game. Smash is more about jumping on platforms than pressing button combinations. From now on, Smash ought to be in the Super Smash Bros. genre al by itself because there's simply no game like it. Most of those games use a damage meter whereas Smash uses a percentage. The avereage fighter is not like Smash so it's hard to call them equally as good.

It's no wonder people hate Nintendo fanboys so much, they get one game that is good and suddenly they think it rules the genre. I for one am glad I'm not some blind fanboy anymore. When you remove your head from Nintendos *** maybe you will still have time to play games that don't have nintendo on it.
I prefer Nintendo, but i don't think I would be called a fanboy. I have a Platstation 2 and a lot of games for it and I've played my fair share of Halo. Lots of Nintendo fanboys do think like that, but that sucks for them.

SiD

Smash Master
Funny thing about the Halo games... they seem so popular (especially first two) but overall Microsoft is running at a loss right now with the Xbox. You would think Microsoft and its parties would be able to get a profit off the xbox.
That's because of the high production costs of the system itself. Actually, only Nintendo was (not sure if it's still true) making a profit off of it's system when they all came out. The others rely on software sales.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
I have a question to SiD the great debater with his miraculous mind that who made pure profit from last gen? Microsoft or Nintendo? Did Microsoft made a penny of net profit from software, you untouchable geniusness? And oh I said "could become," huge difference buddy, huuuuge difference.

Regarding to 3D fighters in general, I expressed my viewpoint couple months ago.

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
As far as Halo 3 goes, it can be very entertaining, but it really is a broken game, anyone who has played online as much as myself would understand, that whole **** where you and your opponet do the exact same thing, and you get the first hit, but for some reason your attack does nothing...its just so annoying...Halo 3 is broken, at least I know theres not going to be as many bugs in SSBB, Nintendo has a habit of making games that aren't broken.
Halo 3 is not broken. What you are talking about here is the melee (punching not smash) system that halo 3 has. If two people melee each other at relatively the same time, whoever has less health will die. Now, playing online will cause lag differences making it seem like you punched the other guy way before you got punched, but because you had less health, the result is you dying, and him not dying. Bungie has stated this problem and are looking into how to make this less annoying than it is. Honestly, it pisses me off too but what are you gonna do? That's just how it works.

Personally though, i was somewhat disappointed with Halo 3. I love playing Halo competitively, but there isn't anything for Halo 3 yet that is 'competitive' other than custom games. Hopefully in the future, they will release more symmetrical maps that are more balanced than the ones that are out now. Also, it would be nice for a team hardcore playlist to be added (meaning you start with a BR which makes the game a lot more balanced.)

Balancing Halo out with symmetrical maps and spawning with a battle rifle can be compared to taking out items in Smash, and selecting only the stages that have a lot less random crap going on.

Even since Halo 3 came out, I still enjoy playing SSBM a lot more. IMO both are great games, but Smash is just more fun. This is not a biased opinion because I have played a lot of Halo. I have gotten to level 50 in Halo 3, and i know a lot about the game, but i still enjoy Smash more. Also, I am not a Smash noob, as i have won a couple of local tourneys in Ventura County.

This whole topic is basically based on opinions and it is my opinion that Smash is more fun.

SiD

Smash Master
I have a question to SiD the great debater with his miraculous mind that who made pure profit from last gen? Microsoft or Nintendo? Did Microsoft made a penny of net profit from software, you untouchable geniusness? And oh I said "could become," huge difference buddy, huuuuge difference.

Regarding to 3D fighters in general, I expressed my viewpoint couple months ago.
...I don't really see what that has to do with anything really, nor why you are so hostile about it, but every company makes profit off of software. Last gen I believe everyone took a loss at first on consoles, but don't quote me. This gen, only Ninty is making profit off consoles.

And oh, that wasn't the part that was ****ty reasoning.

And I'm not your buddy.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
To OP.

-Both are highly competitive franchises
-Both are good multiplayer games
-Both sold a lot on consoles at sold only ~20million
-Both are highly rated games

So why not compare them.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
...I don't really see what that has to do with anything really, nor why you are so hostile about it, but every company makes profit off of software. Last gen I believe everyone took a loss at first on consoles, but don't quote me. This gen, only Ninty is making profit off consoles.

And I'm not your buddy.
No, Gamecube was having losses but with software sells made the overall sales a profit. The Xbox brand has not been making profit almost ever. There was one quarter that they did make profit (the quarter that Halo 2 was released, suprise, suprise), but they still have huge amounts of debt.

Just to clarify: All different fanboys are annoying in their special ways. I usually try not to make declarations of what is the best since not only are there alot of good games for each genre, their differences sometimes make the games hard to compare since some people like blah blah blah or whatever. I am too politically correct. lol

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman

And I'm not your buddy.
Oh great, another Gimpy's little b*tch, get your fact or brain straighten out before making a point, please. BY THE WAY, if I can't afford to act like a "pathetic" Nintendo Fanboy at the Smashboards forum, then F you all, lol.

SiD

Smash Master
Oh great, another Gimpy's little b*tch, get your fact or brain straighten out before making a point, please. BY THE WAY, if I can't afford to act like a "pathetic" Nintendo Fanboy at the Smashboards forum, then F you all, lol.
What the hell did anything I said have to do with Gimpy? And nothing I said was untrue.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I'm not going to read the thread since i'm really lazy, but halo 2 and 3 are fairly awful games. They're fun if you play with your friends, frustrating and boring if you play competitively. and i don't mean matchmaking, matchmaking is just bull****.

I played competitive halo 2 for a long time and i can safely say that the game does indeed suck. it has too many ******** glitches, autoaim issues, lag issues, and all other sorts of idiocy to be fun or competitive.

Halo 3 just isn't fun, lol. I play it here and there with mog112 and it's okay, but the game already feels like it's years old. it's dull and repetitive.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
@ SiD: I think he ran out of arguments, notice how he suddenly had to point out details that were hardly relevant.

SleepyK

also, the community for halo is a much worse one. seriously. there's no arguing that point.

SiD

Smash Master
I'm not going to read the thread since i'm really lazy, but halo 2 and 3 are fairly awful games. They're fun if you play with your friends, frustrating and boring if you play competitively. and i don't mean matchmaking, matchmaking is just bull****.

I played competitive halo 2 for a long time and i can safely say that the game does indeed suck. it has too many ******** glitches, autoaim issues, lag issues, and all other sorts of idiocy to be fun or competitive.

Halo 3 just isn't fun, lol. I play it here and there with mog112 and it's okay, but the game already feels like it's years old. it's dull and repetitive.
You getting bored of a game does not make it awful. You're wrong, they are not awful, not by casual means, and not by competitive means. Not at all. Halo 2 doesn't have anymore glitches than Smash does anyway, and you're not actually playing competitive if you're talking about lag.

SleepyK said:
also, the community for halo is a much worse one. seriously. there's no arguing that point.
I'll take your word for that one. The Smash community has been pretty good, up until Nsiders got shut down and they came here....

SleepyK

the purpose of a game is to keep you entertained, lol. So if it fails at that, it's not a very good game.
and they're fun casually, as i said, but competitively, they're awful. I'm not talking about lag, but.. I mean..
in Halo 2, the host has the advantage, even on LAN.

Halo 2 has many more glitches that are used in competitive gameplay than SSBM does. SSBM doesn't even use glitches, for the most part.

Magnacor

Smash Ace

I would point out that your not liking the game has no relevence to the topic, your grammer is horrible, that it has no more glitches then Melee, that online isn't competitve, that Smash has no more new features then Halo, and there will be lag on any online game, but frankly, I've never been a Halo fan.

Originally posted by SleepyK:Halo 2 has many more glitches that are used in competitive gameplay than SSBM does. SSBM doesn't even use glitches, for the most part.
*cough*wavedashing*cough*

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Halo 3 is overrated. I would much rather play Team Fortress 2 (HL2: Orange Box) or Call of Duty 4 online than it.

Not saying that it's not fun, but it's not the best up it's alley of gaming. I also agree that it cannot be compared to ssb, because that's not in it's alley of gaming itself.

SiD

Smash Master
It didn't fail at that for millions of people though, so, it is a very good game.

And the host advantage on LAN is VERY minor, it's not even worth mentioning. No Johns.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
It didn't fail at that for millions of people though, so, it is a very good game.

And the host advantage on LAN is VERY minor, it's not even worth mentioning. No Johns.
The millions of people mainly consist of the fanboys who got hooked since the first Halo.

If you look into critics who have no bias in their opinion, you'll get the same answer I've just given you.

SleepyK

I would point out that your not liking the game has no relevence to the topic, your grammer is horrible, that it has no more glitches then Melee, that online isn't competitve, that Smash has no more new features then Halo, and there will be lag on any online game, but frankly, I've never been a Halo fan.
Well, if you want to nitpick, my grammer is pretty poor. I don't really care about my grammer though, it's a message board, lol. Halo 2 has plenty more glitches used in competitive play than SSBM does. I don't even think ssbm has any real glitches that are use able competitively. I mean, competitvely. I didn't mention anything about smash having more new features then Halo. Halo 2 is just a flawed game that isn't very good for competitive gaming. Halo 3 fixes many of these issues, but it just isn't very fun.

edit: wavedashing... we'll call that one glitch. Halo 2 still had a lot more.

also, SiD, if you think that the host advantage on LAN is insignificant, then it would appear that you didn't play much competitive Halo 2.

KiddyDong

Smash Cadet
Playing Halo 3 online without much lag is really fun, espicially when I play it with friends via lan, and we just mess around doing stupid stuff with a banshee or warthog or something.

Brawl might not even have a spectacular online mode, so you cant really bash Halo's online when Brawl might not even be that great either

SleepyK

Playing Halo 3 online without much lag is really fun, espicially when I play it with friends via lan, and we just mess around doing stupid stuff with a banshee or warthog or something.

Brawl might not even have a spectacular online mode, so you cant really bash Halo's online when Brawl might not even be that great either
yeah, I agree. All of the halo games are fun if you mess around and don't take it seriously or play competitively. Also, since I'm a lazy guy, I only read the first post until I started posting. The guy didn't mention Brawl's online features.

I'm not saying Halo is better than SSBM, since SSBM is also a flawed game (tires lawlz) with oddities and whatnot. Halo 2 just isn't a good competitive game, lol.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I haven't played many FPS', hell, I haven't played many games, so I can't really compare that well but out of most of the FPS' I've played Halo is one of the best. I've played some awful, awful awful FPS' like Killzone, Darkwatch and some James Bond games.

*shudders*

Horrible stuff.

EDIT: I've never played any PC FPS' so don't be surprised.

NES n00b

Smash Master

*cough*wavedashing*cough*
*Sigh* Fail. SSBM has much less glitches in COMPETITIVE play. If you can't the blackhole and ****, why not? Wavedashing is an exploit and not a glitch like BXR, super jumb, etc. Halo 2 has lots. Melee has some useless ones, an exploit that everyone says is a glitch, dumb esoteric ones, and banned ones due to making the game unplayable.

SleepyK

hey, NES n00b. I'm going to stay true to my Georgia Smash community roots and turn this into a spam/social topic. You coming to Jewflex's?

nindgod

Smash Journeyman

Brawl will have a horrible online mode, without any form of identification. Nice, Nintendo.

SiD

Smash Master
SleepyK, you're wrong to say that Halo 2 isn't good for competitive play. You may not enjoy it, but it's still great for competitive play, it's speed and weapon balance is set up perfectly for it. (Note that I'm not saying the weapon balance is perfect).

SleepyK

Brawl will have a horrible online mode, without any form of identification. Nice, Nintendo.
LOL I think I might prefer that to "YOU SUCK NOOB GO KILL YOURSELF"

and whatnot.

oh no, sid. I loved MLG FFA, I enjoyed that immensely. getting a 4 man team together and running scrims was awesome, I loved that too.

But saying the weapon balance was set up perfectly is like shooting an arrow into a wall and painting a bullseye around it. I mean, it took loads of fine-tuning for MLG to find the sweet spot with settings, and even then there's a lot of issues with the game, period.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Halo's competitive play can't be that bad, I heard some guys in a team got like $130k a year from some contract.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Well, if you want to nitpick, my grammer is pretty poor. I don't really care about my grammer though, it's a message board, lol. Halo 2 has plenty more glitches used in competitive play than SSBM does. I don't even think ssbm has any real glitches that are use able competitively. I mean, competitvely. I didn't mention anything about smash having more new features then Halo. Halo 2 is just a flawed game that isn't very good for competitive gaming. Halo 3 fixes many of these issues, but it just isn't very fun.
Again, wavedashing is constantly used and I assumed that when you said "dull and repetitive" you meant it didn't get many new features so I pointed out that Smash didn't either. However, I'd pick Smash over Halo any day of the weak, especially competitively. The Halo competitive scene, is barely any more than being good at aiming. Smash involves knowing when to use what attack, advanced technique, and then there's the whole mindgame aspect.
P.S. I apologize for getting nitpicky about your grammer. It's one of my pet-peeves so whenever I quote someone I disagree with, I throw that in there just for kicks an giggles. You'd have your work cut out for you finding grammer errors in my posts.

SleepyK

It's spelled grammar, for future reference, lol.

The Halo 2 competitive scene didn't really have much to do with aiming, due to massive autoaim.

Halo 2 also had its share of knowing what to do when and whatnot, it just kind of sucked at it, lol.

SiD

Smash Master
Ok, because all competitve games have perfect balance right? I didn't say the weapons were balanced, it's just that you can win using any weapon if you use it right. It's a very tactical thinking man's game. And part of the strategy is to get the power weapons before the other team/players.

Sounds pretty **** good to me.

NES n00b

Smash Master
hey, NES n00b. I'm going to stay true to my Georgia Smash community roots and turn this into a spam/social topic. You coming to Jewflex's?
Of course. XD

Are you bringing the recording stuff? It would be great to record the GA vs non GA crew battles. Can't wait to hear the commentery during these matches. lol

Are you actually going to enter the tourney or just goof around like always?

SleepyK

Ok, because all competitve games have perfect balance right? I didn't say the weapons were balanced, it's just that you can win using any weapon if you use it right. It's a very tactical thinking man's game. And part of the strategy is to get the power weapons before the other team/players.

Sounds pretty **** good to me.
when did I say that? I said ssbm was also a flawed game, lol. Sure you can win using any weapon, but obviously you stick to the BR + power weapons for 95% of the game, like Top Tier/High Tier in SSBM.

And SiD, if you played any competitive H2 at all, you would know that "tactical" and "thinking" involved "okay guys, let's run the BR strat like every other team on Lockout does."

EDIT:

Haha, I dunno, NES. I might go all G&W again. I almost pulled an all G&W 2nd round pool at VLS, but I got bored and left to stalk New England.

Edit 2: Also, I'll bring recording equipment, as always. I might just bring my computer to the tournament to avoid the VCR.

SiD

Smash Master
Ok, that's my point though, that Halo is balanced just fine compared to other competitive games.

I don't mean to insult you, but really, if you don't think it's well suited for competitive play, you can't be very good at it.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
*Sigh* Fail. SSBM has much less glitches in COMPETITIVE play. If you can't the blackhole and ****, why not? Wavedashing is an exploit and not a glitch like BXR, super jumb, etc. Halo 2 has lots. Melee has some useless ones, an exploit that everyone says is a glitch, dumb esoteric ones, and banned ones due to making the game unplayable.
I'm not a true expert on Halo; I've played it enough to get a basic feel for the game, but I don't know any glitches. Please exuse my n00bism on this topic.

It's spelled grammar, for future reference, lol.

The Halo 2 competitive scene didn't really have much to do with aiming, due to massive autoaim.

Halo 2 also had its share of knowing what to do when and whatnot, it just kind of sucked at it, lol.
It's spelt grammar? Of course I knew that, I was just making sure your grammer-er grammar wasn't as bad as I origially thought!:lol:
Knowledge of what to do? You shoot when there's someone in front of you, what else is there to know? Kidding. Of course there is some skill involved in the game, but not quite to the extent of Smash.

Top Bottom