• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
i just got my controller open and i fixed a friends... the 1.8mm worked great.
i got one for 50 cents at sears...

oddly, my local sears does carry triwing tips, just that they are out of stock.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Anyone at going to OC2 willing to cosmetically modify my controller for me? All I want is it Painted Green, White, and Red. Like an Italian Flag on my controller front and back.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
lol you bought the mask?
primer, color, and clear coat? i guess that's the 3? then?
i guess i'm going for 3 cans too, i don't think i need a primer for white on a black controller... just a few white coats might do it... i think....
white controller with black buttons.

does anyone know if the clear coat dissolves permanant marker?

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
what if i sand it and use just the paint?

i'll mess with it... thank god for extra controllers. XD
i'm cheap, so i'm probably gonna buy like... the cheapest paint i can find, and use that

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
I think I have sandpaper already....yay, a little cheaper!!! Wait... I'm gonna poke to holes in a cup, slip some string through it, viola! A face mask! Oh, I love being cheap!

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
wes has a really BA controller thats got the american flag painted on it... im not sure if he did it himself got it somewhere or its a limited edition controller but its its really sweet looking and very intimidating. This thread is really making me wanna do this this summer when i have some time.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Just bought a new controller, primer, paint and all that jazz. Will be painting my controller this weekend. :D

Dead Eye 935

Smash Cadet
Fauquier, VA. Lookin for challengers/crew
I think I might try this. I just got a crap load of B-Day money, so I can buy some new controllers, and the stuffs to paint 'em. I think I'll do my favorite color scheme, Black and Blue. I was gonna do orange, but there is already an orange controller you can buy. =P

Miharu

Smash Hero
Home Depot was out of 1.8mm flatheads, so I went ahead and bought a triwing. Too bad it hasn't arrived yet; won't be able to paint it in time for a tourney tomorrow T_T

**** USPS shipping is so slow.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Hydro Kirby said:
Home Depot was out of 1.8mm flatheads, so I went ahead and bought a triwing. Too bad it hasn't arrived yet; won't be able to paint it in time for a tourney tomorrow T_T

**** USPS shipping is so slow.
at sears, i bought a 14 piece set of precision tools (plus that 50 cent one that BROKE ALREADY!) and the precistion one had a 1.8.. and i didn't kow it, and it works awesomely good.

last night, i decided to replace the screws from the outside, with the ones from the inside (the ones that hold the triggers in place) but i haven't tried it yet.
i might later though
'll let youall know how that goes.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
The clear coat is a protective layer that helps keep your controller from getting scratched. It also makes it less sticky I believe. As for the plastic primer, keep looking because it should be with all the other spray paint.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
whoa! i come back refreshed from a good night's rest from finals and all my work seems to be done for me already 8^D thanks for the props imreallyaprofessional. you're welcome to copy the image locations and add them onto the compiled guide.

i'm thinking about my next project, apple-whiting the entire thing to color coordinate with the wii. so it will be another oppurtunity for me to take guide pictures, which might be helpful for the more visual people.

now, how to get those control sticks to be colored...

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
im PISSED PISSED PISSED

my controller looked so friggin sweet :(

all white, black buttons/control sticks and a sweet fancy "A" on the front (for me name Alex), we had 3 layers of paint, was ready to go... i went to put on the clear coat and it BUBBLED UP and f****ed up my paint job, and i have no clue as to why this happened

i waited i think 24 hours, mighta been 48 before i added the clear layer..., im so bummed..

ill get some pics up of what it was going to look like...

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Just got back from Canadian Tire.. bought a prescision screwdriver set, 1.8mm works perfectly with a little pressure, got 2 cans of Krylon Fusion plastic paint. (The stuff that bonds and doesn't need primer.) I didn't pickup clearcoat because i don't think i'll be needing it, but i guess i can go get a can if needed.. Anyway, i'm taking lots of pictures, will post em tomorrow afternoon. :)

yes! said:
whoa! i come back refreshed from a good night's rest from finals and all my work seems to be done for me already 8^D thanks for the props imreallyaprofessional. you're welcome to copy the image locations and add them onto the compiled guide.

i'm thinking about my next project, apple-whiting the entire thing to color coordinate with the wii. so it will be another oppurtunity for me to take guide pictures, which might be helpful for the more visual people.

now, how to get those control sticks to be colored...

alrighty. ill add the pictures to the guide after the movies. im going to see nacho libre with my girlfriend. woo!

piZ

Smash Journeyman
For the record, newer controllers need a slightly bigger screwdriver then 1.8mm, as it's too small and just spins in place. Also, you were dead on about newer controllers being easier to take a part/put together and such.. i took apart my older controller that came with my cube, friend opened his new controller (purchased today.) His controller doesn't even have the little metal hook type thingies on L and R and no screws holding the L and R parts in place, like mine..

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
On the first page where the spray paint info is listed, do the same techniques work for Wavebirds? And can you guys post pics of your controllers? I was also wondering if anyone knows if there are Smash bros stickers or any other stickers out there to put on controllers?

NG7

Smash Lord
yes! said:
NG7 said:
**** i'm thinking about repainting my controller to a white blue and grey theme so it looks sexy with the Wii.

Or maybe the Wii comes in different colours.
HEEEEELL YEAA! answer to my cry on page 6, the master himself steps forward as the saviour of my visual.... thing.... kind..................

i don't know.

Zenith

Smash Ace
I think someone mentioned this but can you sand the grips of the controller to offer better grip?

check out page 1 guys, Mod pics are up of those who posted them. I only put the one's up that had used the guide.

Also i fixed up the guide pretty nice, and edited it so all the info is in the right place Yes!.

Yes!, I think we did some good work. I think you will be pretty happy when you see it.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Is it posssible to paint wavebirds and other gc controllers without sanding them and taking them apart? I'm a pretty heavy handed guy and I might ruin my controller taking it apart.

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
yes its possible but i would HIGHLY NOT reccomend it, when you do it like that, paint gets into places that you dont want it, and it make make things a bit more complicated when playing

If you really must, then you can, but its not that hard to take it apart and do all that stuff. Give it a try, its only a$20 controller, you can always get another

im PISSED PISSED PISSED

my controller looked so friggin sweet

all white, black buttons/control sticks and a sweet fancy "A" on the front (for me name Alex), we had 3 layers of paint, was ready to go... i went to put on the clear coat and it BUBBLED UP and f****ed up my paint job, and i have no clue as to why this happened

i waited i think 24 hours, mighta been 48 before i added the clear layer..., im so bummed..

ill get some pics up of what it was going to look like...
on that note, i sanded down the parts that wrinkled (bubbled) and i found that the layers of paint had not totally bonded to the controller
probably becuase i didnt let the layers set long enough, i would now advise that you BE PATIENT and let it dry

fortunatley, it appears that i have saved my controller and it is on its way to "cosmetically mod-ed land"

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Alright, me and my smash bud, Scurvy Lad did up our controllers this morning. Here's some pics of the wonderous event.

I did mine "Link green" and he did his "Wii White," as you can see. ;) Still need a final coat on mine. (Also, i'm pretty sure once we get some either black or darker grey paint we're going stencil on a personal logo where the "Nintendo Gamecube" text used to be..)

We used this paint, which worked amazingly well.. It was about $6.50 CAD for each can but doesn't need sanding/priming or a clear coat.

Lets see,

1 set of precision screwdrivers: $6.00
2 cans of paint: $12.00
2 new gamecube controllers: $30.00
the satisfaction of having two custom colored controllers: priceless.

I think scurvy's little brother is doing his half brown half white later.
This guide still needs it's freakin' sticky! >;o

Miharu

Smash Hero
Wow, those look pretty nice.

I'll be painting mine blue tomorrow, the screwdriver just came in the mail ^^

Top Bottom