• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
GOD, the screws are stuck in my controller. I tried the 1.8mm Flathead and it's not working. Maybe I spilled something on it. Oh well I might get a tri-wing screwdriver

MZero17 said:
GOD, the screws are stuck in my controller. I tried the 1.8mm Flathead and it's not working. Maybe I spilled something on it. Oh well I might get a tri-wing screwdriver

get a tri wing mang. Trust me. i tried everything too. you dont wanna mess up your screws. i got one for 5 bucks on ebay. thats including shipping.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
MZero17 - i'm sure you put in quite some time to scan the entire thread for my splinkled posts and other users' questions and concerns. i'd like to compliment you on your effort.

relaximaprofessional - i DO think we did a pretty d a m n good job, and i am very satisfied with how you've organized everything. great job and thanks for all your work! and to think, if it weren't for your curiousity from day 1 of the thread, i would have never even talked about how i went about painting my controller, and we wouldn't have all this glorious customization going on.

piZ - nice white controller! i like it's clean-factor! i like your choice in shade of green too.

a note about the use of a flathead screwdriver. i don't have experience with this, but apparently, some people have had great success. that's great! but...please be careful if this causes any stripping of the screw. if the screwdriver is turning the screw but causes any damage, be careful.. i personally have opened up my controller a fair amount of times for maintenance and cleaning. if for every time, i had stripped the screw a little bit, i would have destroyed it...so don't hesitate on spending a mere $6 for a tri-wing screwdriver. BUT, if the flathead truly does work without a hitch, power to you!

everyone, don't let nintendo force you into color-communism. customize! and...taste the rainbow!

piZ

Smash Journeyman
yes! said:
a note about the use of a flathead screwdriver. i don't have experience with this, but apparently, some people have had great success. that's great!
I found that taking your time with the flathead, and slowly pressuring it around works a lot better then forcing it and getting frustrated when you strip your screw. :p

Also, thanks for the compliments. :D

C-Stik

Smash Rookie
Im thinkin about doin my controller today it would be like my bros up top (scurvy) that white with a darkish brown on teh front OR im thinking of doing it all white with like a brown tribal design on teh sides ?

ive never seen a brown controller, thus dont no what it looks like.
what you guys think?

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
piZ said:
Alright, me and my smash bud, Scurvy Lad did up our controllers this morning. Here's some pics of the wonderous event.

I did mine "Link green" and he did his "Wii White," as you can see. ;) Still need a final coat on mine. (Also, i'm pretty sure once we get some either black or darker grey paint we're going stencil on a personal logo where the "Nintendo Gamecube" text used to be..)

We used this paint, which worked amazingly well.. It was about $6.50 CAD for each can but doesn't need sanding/priming or a clear coat.

Lets see,

1 set of precision screwdrivers: $6.00
2 cans of paint: $12.00
2 new gamecube controllers: $30.00
the satisfaction of having two custom colored controllers: priceless.

I think scurvy's little brother is doing his half brown half white later.
This guide still needs it's freakin' sticky! >;o
where's the start button?

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
I painted mine a couple of days ago. It looks almost like aluminum siding. It's metallic, but you know kind of grainy almost and "aluminumy"....? haha. But I need to put a layer of clear coat on it. Oh yeah also I replaced the c-stick with a control stick and painted the a, b, and z buttons black. I will probably put some pics up when I finish it.

Edit : I also used a flat-head screwdriver. Worked fine, but took a little while longer than I would have liked.... :dizzy:

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
ok, so after siting here for hours tryng to find a nice color combo, i came across somethig very helpful
http://www.easyrgb.com/harmonies.php
it's made for webpages, but it can be used to find matching colors.

now, here's what i did... i went here
http://mediagods.com/tools/rgb2hex.html
picked a color i liked and put it in the first link, and i got a bunch of colors that would actually look nice with the controller

Saza

Smash Rookie
Ill probably be doing mine with the england flag on it. Spray it red, Wait for it to dry, put tape in the shape of a cross, paint it all white. And ill do the buttons probably pink :p

Saza

Smash Rookie
Would there be a way to connect a sound type thing to the rumble. Go down to the bear factory, record yer self saying something ("Come on!" for example"). When it rumbles, sound thingy does whatever. I think it would be cool, but not sure if it would be possible

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Fliperotchy said:
where's the start button?
You'll also notice the cord isn't tucked in either.. Heres the secret: the back isn't screwed on yet in that picture. Shh, don't tell anyone.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
Saza said:
Would there be a way to connect a sound type thing to the rumble. Go down to the bear factory, record yer self saying something ("Come on!" for example"). When it rumbles, sound thingy does whatever. I think it would be cool, but not sure if it would be possible
hey....that's not cosmestic.... :^P

piZ said:
You'll also notice the cord isn't tucked in either.. Heres the secret: the back isn't screwed on yet in that picture. Shh, don't tell anyone.
lol
10 characters.

People are strange, when youre a stranger...

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i do what i can..

Probably going to be making a controller brown tonight, then again maybe not.. We shall seeee.

Vjoe

Smash Cadet
This is pretty sweet. The loss of the "Nintendo Gamecube" logo and idea of adding a personal logo gave me the idea of making team controllers, like the team name and our personal smasher names on the front, or our names on the front and our team name on the back, or something like that.

...Yes, I do... sort of have a team. I just haven't been on in a while. A very long while.

C-Stik

Smash Rookie
well me, scurvy and piZ did some work and did another controller today .. looks pretty sweet in my opinion

Brown on top, white on bottom

heres pics - includes pics of all 3 a.k.a Scurvy Lads.

Thats My New One, Before i painted it, it was pure silver

Me and Scurvy's

Scurvy lads. - piZ, C-Stik, Scurvy

Note:

on scurvys and piZ's the white on the A button and B button has started to come off, think you need clear coat if planning to do buttons.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Wow this thread has been rocking since I left for the weekend. The guide looks great on the front page, everyone has been cranking out some nice looking controllers, and more of us our getting in touch with out do it yourself side. Thanks for putting me on the first post by the way!

yes!

Smash Apprentice
justpinoy - there's a section on the guide about what i did to paint the plug. some masking tape and a plastic bag will do. ghettofabulous!

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
So i did a faq, but it is on the cpu @ work,lol, and i dont go there till tomorrow, so ill post when i get there. Right now though, i am painting my buttons and c-stick and analog stick. However the head of both of these is rubberry, so i didn't paint that but rather the circle part that feels like normal plastic, i of course sanded and applied two thin coats of paint and now put on two thin coats of clear, so we'll see how it turns out and i'll update with pics.

justpinoy - read the guide

yes!- i know you said that you were working on how to do the control sticks and gamecube, i wasn't sure if the paint would stick to the top of the control sticks and if it did, then i wasn't sure if the texture left by painting the rubbery part would still be rubbery or comfortable to play with. Have you tried anything that i havent? :psycho:

yes!

Smash Apprentice
g-ron - unfortunately, i haven't messed with the controls sticks and c-sticks yet. i'm afraid the rubbery goodness will be lost by coating it with anything, paint or some kind of dye. but maybe you will find out a way. my temporary suggestion: double control sticks :^)

Miharu

Smash Hero
A quick question here. Or more like a few questions.

As anyone had the problem with after letting the paint dry, the controller shell sticks to the newspaper, and won't come off? I ended up having to take a knife to separate it from the newspaper, and now I'm having difficulty fitting the 2 sides together.

And when I apply some pressure to the shell, my fingerprints get imprinted on the paint, and they won't disappear. And thoughts why it happened?

Anyways, it looks like I'll have to buy another controller and start anew.

A bit off topic, but would anyone know where to buy an orange controller. Not on ebay or online or anything like that, but at a gaming store like Gamestpo, etc. Somewhere I can drive/walk to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom