• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
i just finished

it's a bit bad looking, because i took it with a camera phone

EDIT: Ok.... this sucks.... i used a clear coat.... and it ****ed up my paint job...
apperntly, the woman who sold it to me didn't know that the clear was made for metal....
i really should have read it myself.... but i was to excited.

I AM PISSED... i have to wait for it to dry, then sand it, and do it again

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Allright after finally getting that dam* screw driver and after a half day of work.

At first i wanted a Pin Stripe esqu design

Back side (Thats Red tape covering the controller so i can get some line designs.)

I covered the trigger buttons because i could't find the right type of screw driver to use. (small one that is). So i made sure to protect everything inside.

And Here is the final, Once everything is dry i'll make a final picture.

I also made all the non-gray buttons white. (C-Stick too.)
Thanks to this thread and Yes for making me want to do this. I also did this with a PS2 controller as a test. (Didn't Work out so well.) ^.^

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Dammit right when I was scrolling down I was thinking of making a white base with black buttons then BAM I saw it with an A and my real name is Anthony so I was pretty freaked out. This stuff is sick dude I remember taking my N64 controllers and just switching the covers so I would have like Black front White bottom lol.

This is pretty sick I'm going to try this. I'm amazed at how many people don't have all these types of screwdrivers. I have more than 3 of each collecting dust in my garage...

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
Duality said:
Dammit right when I was scrolling down I was thinking of making a white base with black buttons then BAM I saw it with an A and my real name is Anthony so I was pretty freaked out. This stuff is sick dude I remember taking my N64 controllers and just switching the covers so I would have like Black front White bottom lol.

This is pretty sick I'm going to try this. I'm amazed at how many people don't have all these types of screwdrivers. I have more than 3 of each collecting dust in my garage...
im stalking you :psycho:

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
nice, i like that one, it makes me want watermelon

how many layers of clear coat did you put on your control sticks? i put one, just cause it messed up last time, and it has worn off already and i can see the little grey circles

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
i didn't use clear coat because it's weather resistant $12 a can paint.

all it needs is 1 coat... it's really thick and strong.
but i used 2 on the controller, and 3 light on the buttons.

(oh yeah.. i sanded the actual controller down so it was all smooth.like)

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Flamestar666 said:
it's completed!

I call it... The Cherry Bomb
Thats pretty nice, but I wonder what black base/red buttons would look like O_o. Lol you wouldn't even need to paint a black controller just the buttons =P.

Black Luigi

Smash Journeyman
Duality said:
Thats pretty nice, but I wonder what black base/red buttons would look like O_o. Lol you wouldn't even need to paint a black controller just the buttons =P.
I would paint it anyway. I'm a much bigger fan of glossy black than the flat black that Nintendo uses. Although black is the best standard color.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Allright After a Day of drying, here is the final product.-_-

I wanted a Pin stripe design, then i decided to go for a Hollow mask design. But this is what i got.

And here is the reverse side.

Thanks to "yes" for the step by step guide.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah my next project is to paint a controller that matches my Game Cube. Im thinking yellow with two Black Stripes. Kinda Like a bruce Lee's jumpsuit outfit. As sson as i get more money that is -.-;

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Or like a Dodge Viper with racing stripes, I say go for it it'll look awesome. As for me I'm trying to get LED lights for my GC (green) and my controller black base/green buttons with some LED lights green.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
JustaPnoy said:
i wanna do like a spider man controller.. anyone got ideas? im thinking red and a black web but how would i make the web??
Do you have a black controller? If ya do you could use skinny strips of tape to make the web design. the spraypaint it red. The take the tape off and it should still be black underneath and you would have a web.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
MZero17 said:
Do you have a black controller? If ya do you could use skinny strips of tape to make the web design. the spraypaint it red. The take the tape off and it should still be black underneath and you would have a web.
that would work.. but wouldn't a white or silver web look better?

go a silver or white coat, a red one, a blue one around it, and a cleat coat.

with silver buttons, and a red sticks and dpad, and blue triggers...

ahh that would so tight.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
JustaPnoy said:
i wanna do like a spider man controller.. anyone got ideas? im thinking red and a black web but how would i make the web??
Painters tape =P Cover everything but leave spaces in the shape of the web and spray.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Flamestar666 said:
no, he said he was thinking of ablack web with red...
he asked for idea, so i'm throwing them out.
Oh....whoops sorry. I wasn't trying to be arogant or anything I was just saying....I like black :p

FunkDocOH

Smash Cadet
Ghetto, has the paint started to come off your Analog/C-Stick yet?

This thread is amazing, after my graduation party tomorrow I'm SO going to Home Depot and getting Everything I need to make a White Controller with Pink Everything. That'd be pimped out to the max. Or maybe the other way around, with Pink body, whtie buttons. IDK. That white one Ghetto has looks friggin' amazing. Everyone elses, too. I particularly like the metallic colors, that metallic red one a lot of pages ago was really sharp. Thanks Yes! and everyone else for inspiring me to paint my controller!

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
ok yeah i was thinking of tape... but where can i get this tape? and how am i going to put it all on... becaues it'll wrinkle unless the tape is exactly the right shape and size for te conroller

Flamestar666 said:
that would work.. but wouldn't a white or silver web look better?

go a silver or white coat, a red one, a blue one around it, and a cleat coat.

with silver buttons, and a red sticks and dpad, and blue triggers...

ahh that would so tight.
what do you mean by a blue one around the red one??

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
JustaPnoy said:
ok yeah i was thinking of tape... but where can i get this tape? and how am i going to put it all on... becaues it'll wrinkle unless the tape is exactly the right shape and size for te conroller

what do you mean by a blue one around the red one??
spray the area around the controller, and you will get a blue fade around it....
if you wait for it to dry completelt (24 hours) the paint shouldn't wrinkle or crack.
it's just that you have to put on a clear coat

and to FunkDocOH, my paint is coming off the analog, and not the c-stick due to the intense rubbing.

i think i'm gonna get a rubber dye for it.

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
FunkDocOH said:
Ghetto, has the paint started to come off your Analog/C-Stick yet?

This thread is amazing, after my graduation party tomorrow I'm SO going to Home Depot and getting Everything I need to make a White Controller with Pink Everything. That'd be pimped out to the max. Or maybe the other way around, with Pink body, whtie buttons. IDK. That white one Ghetto has looks friggin' amazing. Everyone elses, too. I particularly like the metallic colors, that metallic red one a lot of pages ago was really sharp. Thanks Yes! and everyone else for inspiring me to paint my controller!
yeah it has, but i only used one coat of clear paint, i think im going to get some rubber dye nexy time too, the c-stick is fine however

if youre going to pimp it, you gotta do the pink base with white buttons.

Just a note however, when replacing the R/L buttons back in, be careful, its kinda a tight fit and i almost chipped my buttons

Top Bottom