• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

TheMerchant

Smash Cadet
oh well, im gonna try it anyways, and ill let everyone know how it goes. and about using it in tournements, ill look into that further, but if anyone knows anything, please let me know.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post. But anyway my controller is done I just have to put it together :p Crap I lost my start button.......

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
right... and i "intentionally" dropped my controller when it was drying and the paint got ****ed up.
then i "intentionally" used the wrong kind of clear coat and had to sand it out..

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Flamestar666 said:
right... and i "intentionally" dropped my controller when it was drying and the paint got ****ed up.
then i "intentionally" used the wrong kind of clear coat and had to sand it out..
If it WAS an accident I would've sanded it out. Heaven forbid my controller has ripples and bumps in the paint. I like the look.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
MZero17 said:

URL for first post:http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/183/03/10005411151911050.jpg

It's actually alot more orange. Pic makes it look redish.

Come on, you KNOW you love that Kool-Aid Guy! Also, few of my buttons got chipped due to wind making the collide with a rock, and the start button was lost do it's still gray. I also made some intentional ripples and bumbs in my paint job for looks.
i love your pokemon bedspread.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
If you were to replace the C-Stick with another control stick, would this be going beyond the range of "visually" modding the controler? I think the other stick would be easier to grab...

yes!

Smash Apprentice
frostbyte - i've been to like...2 small tourneys. i think they were cool with it. to tell you the truth, i prefer the practicality of the c-stick. the reason is, you don't "grab" the c-stick, you simply flick it around for smashes and aerials, and i believe the shape of the c-stick makes it easier (atleast for me). however, i like the visual uniformity of having 2 grey sticks. even in a large tourney, if it was deemed unfair, a quick change of sticks wouldn't take so much time at all. i can actually do it very quickly, since i've become so familiar with opening the controller. you should try it out for yourself though, you might like it (^_^)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
is there an image editing software that is available for download where you could basically take a color, paint it onto another color, and maintain the shading? I'd like to see what my controller could look like before i begin, i know i HAD a program like this on my other computer but i dont know what it is now, that was long ago!

yes!

Smash Apprentice
hah, i tried that with my crap photoshop skills. didn't turn out pretty...

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
STICKY!!!
anyways... reallly, really great guide. read through it entirely, and hope to paint one of my controllers really soon. ive been wanting to, but i really didnt know how to go about things. thanks alot for awesome guide.
STICKY!!!

Sudai

Stuff here
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

That's the link to The GIMP's download page for those that are too lazy to google search.

ftl..

Edit: Has anyone added a custom logo to the center and if so, how did you go about it? Would need a rather small cutout if you want to spray paint it. Airbrush with a fine tip maybe?

Edit2: Ghetto, how did you go about painting the rubber parts on your D/C-Stick? Just spray paint? Does that feel wierd or no? :x

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
K theres something wierd with my controller.. it has nothing to do with painting or 'cosmetically modifying' but this thread is abt controllers so i thought i could get help here.

k my C-stick is really messed up. when i start the game and plug my controller its usually tilting down. so i reset it with X-Y-START and then when i push is either up or down to the max it only goes slightly or none at all. so in a game i cannot smash upwards or downwards with the cstick(only sideways). but like a few months ago when i got home from a friends place it worked perfectly and the next time i tried it, it didnt.

Today... (right now) its working fine but just a few seconds ago it was like how i described it above. can some1 tell me wtf is going on?!?!? is there a way to fix it? and why does it only work sometimes ?

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Sudai said:
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

That's the link to The GIMP's download page for those that are too lazy to google search.

ftl..

Edit: Has anyone added a custom logo to the center and if so, how did you go about it? Would need a rather small cutout if you want to spray paint it. Airbrush with a fine tip maybe?

Edit2: Ghetto, how did you go about painting the rubber parts on your D/C-Stick? Just spray paint? Does that feel wierd or no? :x
I painted the rubber on my c-stick(rubber came off d-stick) and it's fine.
BTW, but a cutout on before the clearcoat. thats how I got my kool-aid guy :)

Sudai

Stuff here
About the cutout, I meant more of a tensle thing, but yeah, that should go on before the clear coat anyway. I'll try painting the rubber on my Joy Sticks, worst comes to worst I replace them with some from another controller.

I'm finally gonna work on my controller in a few days...just waiting for the screw driver. x~X;

Pieboy

Smash Rookie
that is awsome ty for posting i think i'll do that, i'll go for a red one.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
justapnoy - i sometimes have problems with my control stick and i think there's a problem with the actual mechanism. maybe from too much abuse...not sure. i don't know how to fix this problem...yet atleast. wish i could help you, sorry man.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
with the C-stick thing, i would reccomend not leaving your controller upside down on the ground, and not storing it in a tight fitting space. these things can wear down on the C-stick (and the joystick) pretty bad. right now though, youre pretty much screwed.

oddeven2002

Smash Rookie
OK, I haven't posted anything on this board thus far, But i have been reading it for a long time. So I have just got around to modding my controller, and I did all that I could do, But I'm having a VERY hard time putting it back together. I put everything in the right spot, I just cant put the back of it to the front and the circuit boad.

Also, my L and R buttons stick and dont come up unless I pull on them to come up. I think this whole contoller modding this is kinda lame. It's pissing me off beyond all belief. I was up last night trying to put it back together before I collapsed on the floor and slept, the lights (and fox news) still on.

Sudai

Stuff here
Did you have the metal bars back in the slots on the L/R buttons properly?

About the shell not fitting together propperly, it's possible you put too many coats of primer/paint/clear coat and need to sand it down a bit on the parts of the shells that touch.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Sudai said:
Did you have the metal bars back in the slots on the L/R buttons properly?

About the shell not fitting together propperly, it's possible you put too many coats of primer/paint/clear coat and need to sand it down a bit on the parts of the shells that touch.
agreed.

youused too much paint, and just don't know what you are doing.

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
Fliperotchy said:
with the C-stick thing, i would reccomend not leaving your controller upside down on the ground, and not storing it in a tight fitting space. these things can wear down on the C-stick (and the joystick) pretty bad. right now though, youre pretty much screwed.

that might be the reason.. but how would i bring my controller places? in my bag it would most likely turn upside down an wtvr. so how wud i bring it to smashfests and tourneys? is there a case for ur controller? lol .

anyways its been a few days (iunno how many) and my controller is still fine.. hopefully it'll stay that way

Sudai

Stuff here
OddEven, are you sure you put everything back in propperly?

You might take apart another one and just look at it to make sure you have everything right. I'll see if I can't find some good pictures that you could use instead.

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
This may not go along so much with modifying your controller with paint but its still only cosmetic. I decided a few months back that with all the tournaments I go to I needed a reliable control because my wavebird ran the risk of being interfered with, so while sitting brainstorming with my bro he suggests I make a corded wavebird. Crazy at first then it made perfect sense. I would have a reliable controller with the wavebird shell I love. Well after only a tiny bit of modifying I made it and it works fine. I have used it in several tournaments and plan to use it at FC6(after KishPrime inspects it). I just thought I would share it because people tend to find it interesting and this is the only topic I could find that it was fit to mention in. And I even have a picture for you.

Miharu

Smash Hero
oddeven2002 said:
OK, I haven't posted anything on this board thus far, But i have been reading it for a long time. So I have just got around to modding my controller, and I did all that I could do, But I'm having a VERY hard time putting it back together. I put everything in the right spot, I just cant put the back of it to the front and the circuit boad.

Also, my L and R buttons stick and dont come up unless I pull on them to come up. I think this whole contoller modding this is kinda lame. It's pissing me off beyond all belief. I was up last night trying to put it back together before I collapsed on the floor and slept, the lights (and fox news) still on.
Too much paint, sir.

That's what happened to mine.

Za23

Smash Rookie
After I opened my Nintendo GCN Controller, I noticed mine doesnt have those metal bars in the R and L place.

Top Bottom