• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
JustaPnoy said:
that might be the reason.. but how would i bring my controller places? in my bag it would most likely turn upside down an wtvr. so how wud i bring it to smashfests and tourneys? is there a case for ur controller? lol .

anyways its been a few days (iunno how many) and my controller is still fine.. hopefully it'll stay that way
you have two hands you know...

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Za23 said:
After I opened my Nintendo GCN Controller, I noticed mine doesnt have those metal bars in the R and L place.
you have a new/platinum controller.
just put it back the same way youtook it apart.
you also don't have the plasitc plates on the inside.

Vash619

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, and STICKY?!

Sticky?! :mad: :mad: Alright i just read the whole guide and every single post and looked at every picture/link and i am amazed at how cool they look infact im planning on doing a couple, with my friends mine will most likely be all black shell, with purple buttons, and my friends Maikeru17, will probably be all black, with neon blue buttons, Thanks alot all of you guys that posted to help, and get this information other people that want to be unique, and different. What about a sticky?!

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Vash619 said:
Sticky?! :mad: :mad: Alright i just read the whole guide and every single post and looked at every picture/link and i am amazed at how cool they look infact im planning on doing a couple, with my friends mine will most likely be all black shell, with purple buttons, and my friends Maikeru17, will probably be all black, with neon blue buttons, Thanks alot all of you guys that posted to help, and get this information other people that want to be unique, and different. What about a sticky?!
I hade to quote it to read it.

NG7

Smash Lord
I don't see this thread getting a sticky in MD because it's not really about Melee. Maybe it'll get moved or something though.

Sudai

Stuff here
Vash, maybe you could not post in that color font? Had to highlight it to read it.

Also, you know they make black controllers, right? :p You could just like...buy a black one then paint the buttons.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Sudai said:
Vash, maybe you could not post in that color font? Had to highlight it to read it.

Also, you know they make black controllers, right? :p You could just like...buy a black one then paint the buttons.
Black controllers!?
Don't be silly Mr.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
Sudai said:

It would be cheaper to paint it black

Sudai

Stuff here
I still say they should make [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm] options when posting. >.>

Btw, hope you don't mind me stealing you sig, Koops. I hosted it on my photo bucket as to not steal your bandwidth though. :x

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Koops said:
are you meaning don't be silly sarcastically or saying that black controllers dont exist?
it's obvious i was being sarcastic.

anyways... back on topic.
painting a platinum controller would seem like a waste, but if you are gonna paint one, then you should sand off all the platinum, expasing the white plastic.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
im gonna call it out right now so no one would copy me lol. im painting:

Shell: Tan
A , B, Z: brown
R,L, X,y, cstick, analog: black

yes!

Smash Apprentice
ahah. people are calling out their scheme in advance. that's unexpected. trust me madwak, you'll still be unique relative to the thousands of normal controllers out there

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
i have a question though, its probably been already asked, but when u paint the buttons, will it feel exactly the same as if you havent painted?

Sudai

Stuff here
It's not gonna feel exactly the same, but it should be close.

Stupid tri-wing still not in yet...I'm almost tempted to just use a 1.8mm :/

Kubba

Smash Cadet
dammit those designs are sooooo cool
credit to Skylink for me finding this thread in his sig
definitely gonna mod my wavebird
nice
Kubba

*EDIT* P.S. does a wavebird have any loose parts?
and is it possible to paint the c-stick? with what?
o yeah and what do you do to paint the buttons?

yes!

Smash Apprentice
Kubba said:
*EDIT* P.S. does a wavebird have any loose parts?
and is it possible to paint the c-stick? with what?
o yeah and what do you do to paint the buttons?

1. i don't imagine the wavebird to have any loose parts. it doesn't have a rumble mechanism so there's probably less to worry about.
2. it is possible to paint the c-stick, the user by the name of Ghetto should be able to help you out if you had any questions concerning that specifically.
3. painting the buttons is pretty much just like painting the shells. i suggest you use less coats though because the coats of paint and clearcoat could build up and add to the overall diameter of the button, which then would affect how easier it slides up and down the button space. a little trick that i used for painting buttons:

- find some disposable cardboard box, egg carton, or anything of the like (i.e. styrofoam cup?)
- tape 2-3 toothpicks together at the top and jam that into the little hole at the bottom of the A and B buttons.
- jam the taped toothpicks into the cardboard box/carton/whatever so that ur buttons are now propped upright and won't spin around
- now you can paint the buttons without worrying about touching it while it's still wet and ruining your lovely work
- wait 24+ hours for the paint to dry
- reassemble
- enjoy!

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
BUMP!!!

I have a question, does it have to Apply primer and paint? Or does it not matter... I just want to be sure I dont have something I could use before I go buy something.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
there are some spraypaints out there that don't require an application of primer ahead of time and that they bond to the plastic. i think they cost a bit more, and the color selection might be a bit smaller.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
there are some spraypaints out there that don't require an application of primer ahead of time and that they bond to the plastic. i think they cost a bit more, and the color selection might be a bit smaller.

edit: sorry, no clue why it double posted...

Kubba

Smash Cadet
*Bump*
i guess ill shout out my paintjob beforehand
Shell=> Really Dark Blue
A,B,X,Y,L,R,Z, C-Stick & D-stick=>White

o yeah can sum1 tell me what texture clear coat to use?
thx
I'm out,
Kubba

EDIT: finally got the little ******* open using the 1.8 mm flathead, the wavebird's inside is a lot more sophisticated than the wired controller thats for sure, gonna sand and prime and post some pics soon!

Dr.ROC

Smash Apprentice
:pimp: To day i ordered the triwing, its gonna be here soon, and for free shipping no less! Im gonna paint my controller royal blue. !i!i!i!iPIMPI :pimp: N'!i!i!i!i!i

yes!

Smash Apprentice
i am a fool, i should have started a tri-wing screwdriver business in conjunction with this to rake in all the money from you guys (^_^)

Banks

Smash Hero
someone should try doing the paintjob without taking it apart, and see how much damage if any is done

i knwo the casing isnt airtight, but you can sand and spray without taking it apart and then hang it from the wire to let it dry

lmao sounds stupid, but just a thought

yes!

Smash Apprentice
if that was a good idea, i wouldn't have bothered to write this guide.

Kubba

Smash Cadet
PWNAGE MIDNIGHT BLUE WAVEBIRD!!!
i'd post some pics but my cousin's borowing my cellphone
hopefully i'll have pictures tomorrow
gonna wait for some white paint and stencil my name onto the place where the gamecube logo used to be
yes!, thank you so much for the guide that inspired me to have such an awesome controller
--Kubba

Kubba

Smash Cadet
yeah but my dad doesn't let me touch it lol
really soon im gonna get my white paint, stencil my name and clear coat.
gonna also try and find some philips or flat head screws of the same size before putting it back together
--Kubba

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I've finally decided to mod my controller, and I just have a few questions.

1. I saw that some people had trouble with painting the control stick and the c-stick, and then I saw that some people had done it without problems (I think...). Could someone please just confirm how to paint the control stick and the c-stick, without ruining the rubber on the control stick? It would be greatly appreciated. ^^"

2. I've decided to open the shell with a 1.88mm screwdriver and then replace the tri-sided screws with six phillips-head screws for easier maintenance. My only question, if anyone has done this before, is what size of screw should I buy? I haven't made my trip to Home Depot or Hobby Lobby yet, so I was just wondering if there was a specific size that I should buy.

3. Do I sand the buttons (A,B,X,Y,Z,R,L,Start,D-pad) before I paint them? Do I only sand some, and not others? :dizzy:

4. I let the shell dry for 24 hours, but the buttons should take 4-5 days?

Thanks so much for your help, everyone. I'm looking forward to posting some pics of mine after I'm done. ^^

yes!

Smash Apprentice
yang,

#3 - sand everything you want to paint.
#4 - simply follow the drying instructions on the paintcan. trust me, everything's a lot easier than you think.

Top Bottom