• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Miharu

Smash Hero
I found that the only thing Home Depot doesn't have is the triwing screwdriver.

But once that arrives in the mail, I'll be ready to paint my controller =]

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Y'know, i was at first, going to mock this thread, but 20 minutes later. My arse is buying a Dam* Tri wing screwdriver, for my controller. Thanx SWF!

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Question.........why cant i get the cord to fit back into the controler? and the L and R buttons too! i got few matches by 1030 AM and i cant get the control back together! please help! can any body show my a pic of the L and R buttons inside the controler? and the way the cord looks inside the controler too?

Fastest

Smash Ace
The Great Marth said:
Question.........why cant i get the cord to fit back into the controler? and the L and R buttons too! i got few matches by 1030 AM and i cant get the control back together! please help! can any body show my a pic of the L and R buttons inside the controler? and the way the cord looks inside the controler too?
Lol, don't open it up unless you're willing to make the ultimate sacrifice...

It's pretty easy to put it back together. Your problem solving skills are fairly poor if you can't figure it out. I can't really help you out- it's like trying to give advice to someone on how to walk.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
i learned to walk today as well. and i got it back in........too much paint laying in the way. my control works and looks good now.! yahoo!

yes!

Smash Apprentice
lol, Fastest is so harsh with his words.

anyway here is a problem i ran into on reassembly one time. everything fit perfect BUT because the metal bar in the L/R trigger mechanism got knocked out of place, responsitivity was crap. so a little warning so people don't into the same problem:

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I used a 1.8mm flat head screwdriver to get mine open. You don't need the tri wing one at all. Just pick up a kit for like $5 at Home Depot with one that has the 1.8mm head clearly labeled. Pics of the finished product up soon!

yea, my girlfriend traded controllers with me, so i have wired controllers now. man i have to get to home depot, its just that, i havent had much time.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
has anyone tried the "Krylon Fusion spray paint"?
you know... the one that doesn't need priming or anythihng, just a prep cleaning?
i am a lazy ******* and i wanna do the least ammout of work possible.

Renn

Smash Rookie
Wow, this thread has really inspired me. Never realized there was so much to do, and now I've got the perfect idea. I'll post pics as soon as its done, because well, I don't want my idea stolen before I'm done :-p

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
Flamestar666 said:
has anyone tried the "Krylon Fusion spray paint"?
you know... the one that doesn't need priming or anythihng, just a prep cleaning?
i am a lazy ******* and i wanna do the least ammout of work possible.

ive spray painted two of my controllers right now and for me, i never used a primer. to each his own i guess, but i just took it apart, sanded the shell, washed the shell, painted roughly 2-3 layers of spraypaint (any color of choice), then after that dried i sprayed 2-3 polyurethene coats over the dried paint so that it made it shinier and much more durable for wear and tear (kinda like the clear coat on wooded floors, the more coats of polyurethene spray the more shinier)

hey YES!, are you still making an official "how to" guide on the first page, and if you don't i can start and other people can give input so we make it a good one.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
My God its good to be home and finally post the pics of the controller! It turned out great in my opinion ^_^. Enjoy!

One more thing. I need some opinion on whether I should paint the plug silver or red. Tell me what you think!

NG7

Smash Lord
That's really f*cking awesome Element! Too bad you can't color the sticks :(

Sizzle do the plug red.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
G-Ron: i apologize for the very scattered posts. when this week is over and summer begins, i think i will make a new "how-to" thread. it'd be great if we could gather the various bits of questions and input throughout this thread too!

NG7

Smash Lord
Cool!

If you're going to include the link that i posted i want to make it clear that i did NOT write that guide. I found it.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
element_of_fire said:
very bad idea for a number of reasons... don't try it

thats an interesting red... i guess i'm just used to my more translucent red... go for silver for the tip *thumbs up*

link for my sparkly green one http://aycu15.webshots.com/image/454/1204775753242239504_rs.jpg
i love the green. you should tell us all how you did that. what paints. etc. and how did you get the controller apart....if i can get it apart, i have this airbrush set and im going to airbrush the **** out of my controller. i have relativley good art skills, and im going to probably do something cool after i paint the controller. or i might get a graphic on there. i have a FEW ideas.

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
yeah how do you get it apart? I've got 3 controllers and i was thinking i could just put the controller into halves and mix and match the fronts and backs - i really want a black and see through controller.

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
yes! said:
G-Ron: i apologize for the very scattered posts. when this week is over and summer begins, i think i will make a new "how-to" thread. it'd be great if we could gather the various bits of questions and input throughout this thread too!

great i'll start to gather the FAQ's and PM them to you later, im @ work right now so ill start tonight.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Adam es maximus said:
yeah how do you get it apart? I've got 3 controllers and i was thinking i could just put the controller into halves and mix and match the fronts and backs - i really want a black and see through controller.
A 1.8mm screwdriver will be your easiest way to get it open. It is hard to find the tri wing screwdriver, but you can get a little kit with a 1.8mm screwdriver for around $5 at Home Depot or RadioShack I think has some too.

MZero17

Smash Journeyman
yes!, review this.

Tournaments do allow cosmetically modified controllers but that's the extent of it. for opening the controller, someone suggested a flathead with some pressure. i personally would use a "Triwing Screwdriver"(but a 1.8mm FlatHead works too) because it's a specific fit to the screw. you can find one on eBay for about $6. it also does other Nintendo products so it's not a complete waste. I just used it for my controller and i'm 100% satisfied with it. I believe someone said that spray paint will make ur controller stickier. I don't agree. What I've found is that depending on how many layers of paint and clear coat you apply, it'll come out a bit rougher or very smooth. As for the actual process, here's a quick run through:
1. Open controller, remove innards carefully (REMEMBER HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!)
2. Wash the shell, making sure to get all the grime from the sides (yuck)
3. After drying it (towel, blowdryer, airdry, whatever works)
4. Sand down the entire surface lightly with 600 grit sandpaper (i actually dont remember the #, find the highest grdade sandpaper u can at homedepot. btw, this is to give the paint a better surface to stick to)
5. Aplly Primer
6. Apply spraypaint color of choice. I used 3 coats and let the paint dry according to the can's instructions (i used a paint made specfically for plastic, but my friend used one made for wicker chairs since he wanted that color. and suppose it works because in the end, you'll be covering everything with clearcoat)
7. When you're done with letting the color COMPLETELY dry, u can either sand it lightly again, or not. i forgot to sand it again, but my controller still looks beautiful so i suppose it isn't needed.
8. Start applying your clear coat the same way you did your color. suggest ~4 coats. my friend chose more coats and it came out very smooth. he likes it that way, but i prefer what he calls "rough and ready"
9. Fight off your temptation and let the sucker completely dry.
10. Reassemble. Enjoy

Other Info:

- there is this little device for spray cans that they sell at your hardware store. it looks like a gunhandle and goes on top of the spraypaint nozzle. i suggest you buy this because it gives you more control of the pressure at which you spray. don't hestitate at it's ~$4 price. it's worth it.
- some quick spraypainting tips:
1) start and stop spraying away from the controller. the initial sprays tend to shoot out large droplets, something that you don't want. you want a nice even spray so everything is nice and smooth.
2) practice your pressure and motion on newspaper to get the hang of things.
3) keep a constant speed and motion when you spray the controller.
4) do NOT be tempted to go back and forth with one spray. some people can do this, but i suggest you do everything in small spurts of single passes.
5) make sure you have good lighting so that you can see where you haven't covered with color yet.
6) do NOT reassemble until 24 hours after your final layer of clear coat. RESIST all temptation.

- along with coloring my controller, i painted my buttons too. i painted A, B, and Z white. and left X, Y, R, L grey. it came out oh so nice. BUT, my archnemesis, friction, eventually reared his ugly head and the original plastic is showing through the sides of my A and B buttons because of the intense rubbing against the shell. o well, i can go back and paint it. if you choose to do like as did and paint your buttons, i suggest 2 LIGHT coats of primer, 2 coats of color, 3 LIGHT coats of clearcoat. i say light because you don't the primer+color+clear getting so thick that it no longer slides in the hole easily.

- also, you've gone this far, might as well do the controller plug too! use masking tape to cover the silver part, use masking tape to cover the cord as close as you can to the plug. then put the controller with the remaining unexposed cord into a plastic grocery bag for protection. follow the same steps to color the plug.

- when painting the controller, you'll find that it's difficult to get the area between the 2 pods (i dont know the real term) that house the c-stick and d-pad. don't be tempted to spray those areas without keeping constant motion of the can. just try an up-down motion, then some diagonal motions. you'll get it.

all the supplies should not cost you that much. i think the cost and the effort was all worth it in the end because my controller is very noticable in a crowd of original colors. it does however put more pressure on you to perform well because people see you elite controller and expect you to be just as elite (@_@)

there are dyes availible that bond to the plastic. this can be good since you won't have to worry about chipping. painting this controller is essentially like painting a computer case/mouse and there are several guides out there. you can skim those so that you are more confident going into this.

here's a picture of my controller if you're curious. i chose powder blue because it was different but not too extreme and painful to my retinas like neon green (my original choice haha). as you can see, the control stick is interchangable with the c-stick. i did this purely for aesthetic reason. i doubt it gives you any gameplay advantage. maybe in a FPS, but not in smash. in fact, it might cause you to do the wrong aerial since the control stick is fatter...o well, i like the uniformity.

if you are careful with remembering how things were when u took it apart, you would have noticed this. just to make sure though:

i used a brand called "painter's touch" for plastics. there is a brand called krylon which is the most expensive and probably the best. i dont think you need to dish out the extra cash though. but then like i said, my friend used some paint for wicker chairs @_@ and that worked out fine for him.

1) no, you don't have to sand the primer. the nature of the primer itself should allow enough adhesion to the color paint.
2) when you start to sand the bare controller (with very fine sandpaper, 600 grit should work), the plastic will turn opaque, slightly white and that should be enough, nothing too serious.
3) i recommend a facemask in case you breathe in paint particles, lots of newspaper, a pair of steady hands and this bad boy:

NG7 Found this site for LED Lights:http://www.porkchopsammiches.com/tendomod/ledmod.html

Q&A

Q: What should you worry or be careful about when you open the controller(will anything fall out, or is anything easy to break)
A: open the controller upside-down, nothing will fall out because most of the pieces are stuck between teh top shell and the circuit board. take part the innards slowly, remembered where things go and how they go in. don't worry it's really simple and nintendo uses quality plastics :^) you shouldn't worry too much.

Q:How long do you dry it, does the paint tell you or does the controller surface require more or less time to dry.
A:the spraypaint can should give you specific instructions for drying. they suggest applying additional layers either within the hour or after 24 hours. i don't understand why the times are so different, but maybe it has to do with how the paint cures (dries). the nintendo controller plastic isn't anything special so u can treat it just like any other plastic. actually, to be honest, i started applying 1-2 hours after each coat because i couldn't stand to wait. my paint job doesn't have a scratch on it till this day.

Q:How hard is it to put back together?
A:3. it's as easy reassembling as it was assembling. don't worry about it, it's as if nintendo meant for you to take it apart ^_^

Many people used this guide to paint their conroller

I'll add the pics in later

yes!

Smash Apprentice
haha, it's weird finding all your random posts compiled into one by a total stranger. thanks for the preemptive gesture of help mzero17, these ragtag instructions will help outline a more in-depth guide i'll churn out after this week's finals

Top Bottom