• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
Kid A said:
http://uk.revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL!!!!!!
Nintendo just pulled a fast one on us. At an after-hours press briefing a mere minute ago, the company pulled another ace out of its hat: Smash Bros. Brawl -- the next installment in Nintendo's popular Super Smash Bros. series.

Details are just now rolling in, but we have confirmed the following playable characters:

# Pit (Kid Icarus)
# Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
# Zero Suit Samus (Metroid)
# Meta-Knight (Kirby)
you forgot Wario...
-Flip

NG7

Smash Lord
**** i'm thinking about repainting my controller to a white blue and grey theme so it looks sexy with the Wii.

Or maybe the Wii comes in different colours.

mm_coady

Smash Rookie
ooo... pimp my controller!
I dont know much about controller modding, but i do know that if you want to paint plastic you either need paint made for it, OR you have to sand the plastic and make it rough so that the paint has something to stick to.

I would love to somehow mod my GC controller in tribute to the NES. That would own.

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
Yo. Kinda off topic kinda on topic.

I saw at a game store a used controller (curse me finding things I like when I have no $) that had the ABXY button layout like the SNES/PS. I was wondering if anyone has seen these, and if so what company/where can I purchase one online. Also would a controller of this type be considered tournament legal?

I still am miffed that I didnt have money to buy the controller while it was still there.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Judo_Jigglypuff said:
Yo. Kinda off topic kinda on topic.

I saw at a game store a used controller (curse me finding things I like when I have no $) that had the ABXY button layout like the SNES/PS. I was wondering if anyone has seen these, and if so what company/where can I purchase one online. Also would a controller of this type be considered tournament legal?

I still am miffed that I didnt have money to buy the controller while it was still there.
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=75&products_id=2466&PHPSESSID=b1e546608f0bbed374f640f62d0ef8ac

You may be talking about that, and yes it is tourney-legal. It would cost about $25 to import it form that site though, total. Hope this helps.

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
Nah thats got the controller shape of the snes controller. The one i saw looked like a gamecube controller (with maybe some extra features in the middle, turbo slow etc, usual third party addons) with the abxy like snes(slightly turned though). I remember it having fans in the grips... may have been a third party wireless...

All I know is I am looking for a controller with the abxy "diamond" looking like

....(Y)
(B)....(X)
....(A)

(yay for ascii) Instead of the strange "A-hub" as my friends have dubbed it. Ive grown used to the hub but still would be more comfortable with the diamond

EDIT: found it http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=35

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
ok so what i did, because i was to lazy to order the tri-screwdriver, was customize my clear pelican controler, I first sanded it down with fine sandpaper, washed the sanded shell of the controller, dried it off, did three coats of regular spray paint, let it dry for two hours, then sprayed two coats of clear, polyurethene spray, and finally let it dry overnight. The polyurethene spray was to make the paint look shiny as well as protect it from scratches. If you don't know what polyurethene spray is, its like the stuff thats on finished wood (wood stairs in your house) that makes it shiny and scratch resistant.

The american made controllers use normal screws so yea..!!! Thanks Yes!

**CLick on the picture for a bigger pic**

I painted the bottom half all blue but on the top half i only spray painted the part where the start buttton, the control stick and d-pad, and the c-stick and a,b,x,y buttons were.

This ^ pic is when the LED lights are on :)

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Well, after three days it's finally finished! When I find my other one I will make a Dark Sapphire one. This was $$$ well spent, I recommend it. I just have to put in a new control stick to replace the old friction-worn one.

The pictures may be a little blurry, but it is VERY shiny in light. Especially sunlight. Thanks Yes!

yes!

Smash Apprentice
wow redd, you did an excellent job! it really looks like an exclusive nintendo color. anyone remember when they released the golden n64 controller? was it with goldeneye? not sure. anyway, a job very well done. glad i can inspire these creations!

Office_Shredder

Smash Ace
Fliperotchy said:
well, i went to radioshack, and they don't have them. :( it really sucked. but spraypainting it like the guy a few posts above me is what a friend and i are doing. mine is going to be a metallic red.
-Flip
I would be surprised if radio shack had a screwdriver for sale.

Did you check home depot? That place has EVERYTHING

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I just went down to Advance Auto Parts and got a can of Chrome Gold, stuff used for cars. Works excellent. Yes!: Thanks it was worth it I'm going to do another soon!

Thanks guys, this thread is sticky worthy.

I used 3 coats of Gold then 4 clear coats. Plus Primer, and I sanded with 600 grit. I got everything in one shop!

Edit: I won this N64 Millenium Edition Controller back in 2000 when I was 9 or 10 and they only made 1,000 of them! Just something I wanted to share, they're near impossible to find.
I'll get pics of it up later.

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
keep the thread alive, i did this today after finally getting my tri-wing screwdriver off of ebay. (BTW it only cost $0.99 + $5 shipping)

click on the pictures for a close up.

nookrulz

Smash Ace
yes! said:
wow redd, you did an excellent job! it really looks like an exclusive nintendo color. anyone remember when they released the golden n64 controller? was it with goldeneye? not sure. anyway, a job very well done. glad i can inspire these creations!
Majora's Mask. I still have mine, in pretty good condition despite how quickly those joysticks wore away.

Also, kudos to Redd and the other dude did the nice deep red. Those look really sweet, and I hope to see yours soon, Redd.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
i love seeing more variety in GC controllers! and i'm glad we're able to use GC controllers for SSBBrawl too! this way, our hard work won't go to waste!

next stop: opening up the wii controller....or...not (@_@)

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Kalypso said:
Another is a gundam wing wavebird, it's kind of pink with a Gundam Wing insignia in the same spot as all the others.
Are you joking?! It's called Char's Wavebird! Nothing to do with Gundam Wing, only the Original Gundam(with Char and Amuro). Gundam Wing sucked, too. Why would they make a controller on it..?

element_of_fire

Smash Lord
g-ron you copycat :p

front
http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/186/1120418524256879803_rs.jpg
back
http://aycu18.webshots.com/image/2097/1481075426797425700_rs.jpg

i painted this just before FC3... its a multilayer paint process that turns out awesome... looks much better irl, just ask some people that commented it at fc...

we did 4 different color controllers, this... a green one with black buttons... a creamy white wavebird (did the reciever and were going to replace the led with a blue one but never did that) and a real deap sparkly blue

VgtPrncfllSyns

Smash Ace
Man I need to make one of these! It sucks not having any money...

Hmm... I'm trying to think of a way to put pictures on... or something, like having a character on it without having to PAINT it... ugh, best not to complicate things.

Ghetto

Smash Cadet
if you wanna get the screwdrivers for the controller just search on eBay for "Triwing wrench" or something like that, thats why i bought, its easy to use.

my controller is so friggin cool, the whole thing is white, and the buttons/control sticks/(r/l/z) tabs are all black

ill get some pics up this weekend if i can

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Lets start this thread back up again. I'm prob gonna do a red mod, mainly because its my favorite color, but feel a little "copycat"-ish. I also love how the others turned out. Maybe I can improve on the red colors. But I will be going to the store in the near future to get some supplies so watch this thread for new pics in the near future!

Sizzle

I paint controllers
OK here we go with the first round of pictures. These are basically the first part. I have almost all my painting done, but it is late and I don't feel like taking more pictures. So I will have the pictures of the colored shells in the morning, and the finished product the day after. Enjoy! Thanks to yes! for his great guide which has been flawless so far.

The Supplies

Don't Look its a naked controller

Time for a cleaning

This part is a little hard to see but you can kind of tell the controller was sanded.

Primed and ready to go!

More to come tomorrow

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Hooray! Pictures are always great..

I have a question though. How hard was/is it to take the guts out of the shell and put them back in properly. I'm afraid i'll screw up my controller.. Either way i think i'll just buy a new controller to paint. ;D

NG7

Smash Lord
This is so awesome i totally wanna do this. I sense a sticky soon if these posts are compiled :p

Edit: Has anyone thought up ways to transfer emblems and stuff onto the controller? Just that area above the start button looks so blank it kind of bugs me :laugh:

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Well I will tell you that unscrewing it wasn't very hard and taking them out wasn't too hard either. I'm not done yet, so we will have to see how hard it is to put it all back together. It should be just as easy as taking it apart.

element_of_fire

Smash Lord
i did mine with a nice sparkly silver base coat with a transparent red color coat... you really can't tell by the pics but the controler does have a great sparkly transparent look to it...

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
im having problems. i put primes on my control......and then the primer turned white as i was putting it on the control.

Then when it dried, i put neon green paint on it....5 seconds later it was cracking like a mofo....

any ideas?

yes!

Smash Apprentice
the great marth - i believe the same thing happened to my friend's controller. we aren't 100% sure about the reason, but we think that he possibly didn't wait long enough for the primer to dry, or he applied the color onto the primer when there was too much moisture in the air. you MUST wait for each layer to completely dry.

the task of removing the paint is extremely tough. my best advice is to sand it all off. starting with rough grit sandpaper and gradually working your way to the 600 grit. it's no easy task. paint thinner won't work effectively by this time and don't use something like gasoline or goo gone to remove paint. these will melt the plastic. you might want to just use another controller shell...if you don't have one availible, again, my best suggestion is to use sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease. good luck

perhaps someone with more paint experience can help you

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
well i just finaly got mine painted again!!!!!!! i primered it by myself and got my dad to paint it, its metalic dark green. very nice. now i need to figure out how the things go back together.......

EDIT: your control is a pokeball.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
The Great Marth said:
well i just finaly got mine painted again!!!!!!! i primered it by myself and got my dad to paint it, its metalic dark green. very nice. now i need to figure out how the things go back together.......
HELP ME o wise 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :urg:

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Wow... Nice. If I weren't so lazy and cheap, I'd mod mine using this wealth of information. Someone ought to make one with two X buttons. That'd be downright 1337.

edit:

Yes! said:
Yeah, I remember that. If I'm not mistaken, it was actually for MarioKart. To win the Gold Controller, you had to send in a Memory Card with the fastest time at a certain stage saved on it. I should have entered.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
The Great Marth said:
EDIT: your control is a pokeball.
LOL thats great. The red does look a little pink in the photo but it is quite a deep red. Finished product will be up tomorrow. And for the Red, White, and Blue controller, I'd like to see that. It would be a little hard to do, IMO, but still would be sick nonetheless.

Top Bottom