• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

yes!

Smash Apprentice
thanks x2x for the compliment. it actually was never meant to be as a guide. i guess it just grew as i got more questions.

x2x - i used a brand called "painter's touch" for plastics. there is a brand called krylon which is the most expensive and probably the best. i dont think you need to dish out the extra cash though. but then like i said, my friend used some paint for wicker chairs @_@ and that worked out fine for him.

relaximapro -
1) no, you don't have to sand the primer. the nature of the primer itself should allow enough adhesion to the color paint.
2) when you start to sand the bare controller (with very fine sandpaper, 600 grit should work), the plastic will turn opaque, slightly white and that should be enough, nothing too serious.
3) i recommend a facemask in case you breathe in paint particles, lots of newspaper, a pair of steady hands and this bad boy:

Jennuh

Smash Journeyman
Go to a hardware store and find out if they have the tool for those screws. Also try spray paint and get a deglosser so that it doesn't look shiny. ^^

Kio

Smash Apprentice
YES! thanks for all your help. Your controller looks **** slick too!

yes!

Smash Apprentice
haha, thanks kalypso and kio for the complimentsr. i wanna see how all of yours turn out too.

f8x - i do have dual joysticks. i'm not quite sure if they allow it. i should check and see, because if it isn't then i'll definately have to change it back to ugly yellow cstick :^( it doesn't actually make gameplay any bit easier though. like i said, it might actually make things tougher since you're more likely to do another aerial rather than the one you intended to, but i've gotten used to it and i like the aesthetic uniformity.

must...put everything in one post....

NG7

Smash Lord
Wanna how to put LEDs (lights) in your controller? Here ya go fellas:

http://www.porkchopsammiches.com/tendomod/ledmod.html

Tell me you love me. Comeon........ nobody loves me, seriously. I posted this like a year ago an nobody said anything. I wanna feel some love here. Will anyone ever love me? *sigh*

I'm Australian.

Edit: I reckon if you walked into a Radioshack you'd be able to get one of those Triangle screwdrivers easy.

NG7 said:
Wanna how to put LEDs (lights) in your controller? Here ya go fellas:

http://www.porkchopsammiches.com/tendomod/ledmod.html

Tell me you love me. Comeon........ nobody loves me, seriously. I posted this like a year ago an nobody said anything. I wanna feel some love here. Will anyone ever love me? *sigh*

I'm Australian.

Edit: I reckon if you walked into a Radioshack you'd be able to get one of those Triangle screwdrivers easy.

i love you

and if you went to a tourney and your opponent has a blue light instead of your ugly orange, you just got owned. cosmetically.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
NG7 - that's pretty neat dude! does it distract the opponent? mindgames? :^P

F8X

Smash Ace
yes! as I said before that is a sick controller
This controller can beat your LEDS, people will think your so good that they will run away in fear when you use this controller :joyful:
what is wrong with the cstiq I say ....

^^Chuck Norris uses this controller

Money_Pizza0

Smash Rookie
Yes, I might use those stickers from the 200th issue of Nintendo Power on either my Nintendo DS or my GameCube, idk, lol :p That's a sweet controller too lol, I have one with 2 C-sticks and 2 Y Buttons lol.

Eidolon

Smash Apprentice
Wow, that's awesome; I want to mod my controller now too!

How would I mod a controller for short hop? I wouldn't take it to tournaments or anything--I don't compete competitively anyway. And I wouldn't use it to play with friends either. I just think it would be fun to have and play with--you could pull off some cool combos. I really suck at SHing anyway. I assume that I would have to make it so that one of the X/Y buttons couldn't be pressed down all of the way. Maybe use electrical tape? Stick it on the circuit board underneath the button? Or do something to the button itself?

D-20 Dice

Smash Ace
F8X said:
yes! That was awsome! I may paint my controller now!

oh and one more thing is your controller banned in tornamant play. I noticed you have the dual joystiq mod. Just wondering.
Cosmietic mods are not banned. AFAIK

F8X

Smash Ace
D-20 Dice said:
F8X said:
yes! That was awsome! I may paint my controller now!

oh and one more thing is your controller banned in tornamant play. I noticed you have the dual joystiq mod. Just wondering.
Cosmietic mods are not banned. AFAIK
notice how there is no c-Stiq in yes!'s controller

That is what I said. It could also be said for the c-stiq only mod above. This could be deemed an unfair advantage since there is more surface area and more grip on the joysiq. It can be said that this is similar to a baseball bat with a nucleus. Although it may not make u better, it will give you a small advantage. I would consider doing this only if the gamecube had more FPS. Not to say that this is a bad mod or anything.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
hehe, i like your sig f8x. the only thing i dont like about the starfox assault fox is that his teeth are so sharp! as if he were....evil...

anyway, back onto topic. i feel as if this merely and alternative. because the c-stick is actually alot better for flicking around for a quick aerial or smash. however, other people might feel it's unfair... assuming i ever win :^p i'll try to find out about it's legallity

yes is right.

i think the c stick is a button you wanna get away from quickly after using it. more grip will make it a bit harder. and its also understandable if there is more grip it is changing gameplay. but think about it. all controllers feel diffirent. I use a wavebird, and when i went to D1s house to play him, i didnt bring my controller because it was a bit on short notice, and i went in between my classes. but anyway, i used his and it felt different. it was a bit different pressure for sh hopping and all. his was a normal controller. merely changing the feel shouldnt be worth banning, like yes and I believe it. but it is also true that the feel of the controller is being changed, so it wouldnt suprise me too much if it was decided to be banned.

Cort

Apple Head
Wow, awesome topic. yes!'s posts have been extremely helpful and in many ways inspirational. Now just to think of which color to use... :confused:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
does the contoller work w/o the back?

spray paint it, ive spray painted my shoes and (<.<) socks (>.>)

just don't flood it with spraypaint...

HHH

Smash Cadet
I spray painted my controller white using Krylon Fusion paint (found it at Pep Boys). I heard of this paint from Xbox case modders, and it great for beginners because it doesn't require sanding the plastic before application. Used that paint using the instructions on the can, gave it two coats. Then give it an acrylic clearcoat. To paint the controller plug, just cover the wire and metal plug with masking tape.

As for taking the controller apart, I ordered a tri-wing screwdriver (perfect for Nintendo screws) from Play-Asia here . The site is pretty safe and dependable, I order from there all the time.

Happy modding guys.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
my friend just spray painted the **** out of his controller. its a cool *** red color. im going ot ask him how he did it, and get back to you guys.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
i know this is risky of killing ur contoller, but couldn't u drill a bigger hole where the B button is and put an a button there?

yes!

Smash Apprentice
UWAH! raserucort! that color's fierce. very eye-catching. i can see many opponents being distracted by what they see in their peripheral vision :^D i'm glad all went well for you!

yes!

Smash Apprentice
BACH, those controllers are neat! i love the mario bros ones! i was on the hub one day and saw chillindude saying that he paid 100something for his off ebay. i...don't know if any controller is worth that, even if it had an auto-combo button....

my tri-wing screwdriver is coming in soon, got it from ebay. also my last final is tommorrow, may 11th. so once thats done and i have my screw driver, and this crazy smash weekend (smash practice friday, gauntlet saturday, tourny at harlem gaming lounge hosted by killaOR), ill start my modding mission. the pink one is pretty hot. im not sure what im going to do.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
HxCKoski said:
yea what he said, is anyone sure they have a scredriver like this at radio shack?
well, i went to radioshack, and they don't have them. :( it really sucked. but spraypainting it like the guy a few posts above me is what a friend and i are doing. mine is going to be a metallic red.
-Flip

Kid A

Smash Cadet
http://uk.revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL!!!!!!
Nintendo just pulled a fast one on us. At an after-hours press briefing a mere minute ago, the company pulled another ace out of its hat: Smash Bros. Brawl -- the next installment in Nintendo's popular Super Smash Bros. series.

Details are just now rolling in, but we have confirmed the following playable characters:

# Pit (Kid Icarus)
# Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
# Zero Suit Samus (Metroid)
# Meta-Knight (Kirby)

Top Bottom