• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Engo

Smash Ace
GTA(outside of Toronto) players gotta step it up and start finding each other/playing each other or suck it up and commute to Toronto where there's some stuff going on. Or stay home and accumulate tons of posts and never actually play the game :/

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I don't know why I felt like this was a call out to me, to do something in Sauga. LOL. Sup guys.
It wasn't, but the revival comment may have been :p

GTA(outside of Toronto) players gotta step it up and start finding each other/playing each other or suck it up and commute to Toronto where there's some stuff going on. Or stay home and accumulate tons of posts and never actually play the game :/
This on the other hand seems like it was aimed at me. Or at least old floppy me.

Windrose

Smash Lord
coastward, stop getting down about the game. you can only do that if you're yhii from world of warcraft.

you don't have enough room in your house for one person to come over to play melee with you?

you can also take the bus to meadowvale and play with reis and izek.

else if,

play vs cpu and practice tech skill until the cows come home. If you play a character like falco you're pretty much playing against a computer once you get in your first shine anyways. :troll:

Coastward

Smash Lord
LOL

my house really would just suck to have people over, and im in the mdv area a lot of times.

and i have been practicing a lot of **** against cpu, but i just want to apply it. i'll just start getting some smashfests setup.

Engo

Smash Ace
It wasn't, but the revival comment may have been :p

This on the other hand seems like it was aimed at me. Or at least old floppy me.
LOL I didn't want it to seem like it was a call out directly to you. It's happened to more than just you and plus now you come out to stuff so good ****.

Lurkers are *********************************

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
HEY ALL MISSISSAUGA PLAYERS.

Untouchables at Central Parkway Mall and Tri Atlas Gaming is hosting a free play game session in the back room all day today, there will be SS4AE, UMVC3, and additionally I'll be bringing in a Melee setup (if you want more you might have to bring a tv/cube setup)

for those that dont know where it is:

377 Burnhamthorpe Rd E Mississauga, ON L5A 3Y1

it's in the north east end of the mall and if enough people come for any game, we can run a small tournament.

I was asked to do this last night because the guy who was supposed to do it bailed so I want to keep myself entertained with a game I like. Thusly we now run Melee

Divinokage

Smash Legend
well, everything outside of toronto needs a revival. im becoming sad.
Well you could've came to the mtl tourney before.. and.. there's another tourney this saturday in ottawa. I think we have it stepped up enough for now, not my fault if Toronto in general wants to stay secluded in their area and then you wonder why it's not active. For whatever reason, it's clear that there isnt any effort put forth in order to have the best attendance. There's a lot of people that question this region's decisions.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Well you could've came to the mtl tourney before.. and.. there's another tourney this saturday in ottawa. I think we have it stepped up enough for now, not my fault if Toronto in general wants to stay secluded in their area and then you wonder why it's not active. For whatever reason, it's clear that there isnt any effort put forth in order to have the best attendance. There's a lot of people that question this region's decisions.
ok i could've worded myself better. what i meant by everything around toronto was like the gta. i know that mtl has a strong community, and i wish it was sort of like that here. it seems like everything is just happening in one place in toronto and it just sucks that i have to go there if i wanna play. i obviously don't have to go everytime but if i want to i end up having to go to toronto. i guess i just gotta do stuf on my own and get things organized.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
ok i could've worded myself better. what i meant by everything around toronto was like the gta. i know that mtl has a strong community, and i wish it was sort of like that here. it seems like everything is just happening in one place in toronto and it just sucks that i have to go there if i wanna play. i obviously don't have to go everytime but if i want to i end up having to go to toronto. i guess i just gotta do stuf on my own and get things organized.
Well.. all I can say to that is people need to open up a bit more.

Windrose

Smash Lord
coastward, i'm pretty sure you live near dana, the sheik player. you two should exchange some contact info, he's also in the sauga fb group.

use the sauga fb thread and spam it, if you annoy people enough they're bound to get some smash going.

If I have time after work I usually go to someone's house (reis' dog house) in sauga to play before I go home. I can drive to your place.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
use the sauga fb thread and spam it, if you annoy people enough they're bound to get some smash going.
Isn't that a problem? Lack of initiative from many, it means not enough people are willing to step up in order to grow the scene and so it will stall. Gotta get more people motivated in order to host and stuff.

Coastward

Smash Lord
coastward, i'm pretty sure you live near dana, the sheik player. you two should exchange some contact info, he's also in the sauga fb group.

If I have time after work I usually go to someone's house (reis' dog house) in sauga to play before I go home. I can drive to your place.
yeah i'll start getting some contact info and see if anyone is down to play.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Isn't that a problem? Lack of initiative from many, it means not enough people are willing to step up in order to grow the scene and so it will stall. Gotta get more people motivated in order to host and stuff.
sometimes it's really a throw of the dice. i've moved around a few areas now. some areas are much more successful in setting up a melee scene than others.

Eg. Hamilton:
When I first went there for undergrad at McMaster, there was no melee scene or community. I posted in the ontario player finder thread with my info and constantly went around to smashfests and eventually found some people that knew others in Hamilton. There were a decent amount of people that played melee but never go on smashboards or to tournaments. Watermelon found me on the ontario player finder thread and we eventually found more and more people. Most of the time we were playing with brawl players that knew a bit of melee until we found actual melee players though...

But now we have a huge and highly active scene in Hamilton with over 20 active players playing almost everyday. The arrival of Kason Birdman helped a lot too. The facebook group we started a few years ago is now very active. In Kason's dorm alone we have 4+ setups (albeit it's quite a dump).

Mississauga: I thought I could recreate a similar situation here but various things lead to failure. No one had permission from parents to allow people to come over for melee. I lived in a crappy place that had a bed bug infestation and no guest over policy. Most people were living with their parents in Sauga where as people in Hamilton were away from home studying abroad in a small city far away from parents. Although the skill level of players was much higher here, the activity was much lower. Very few people knew how to drive and most people were not committed to traveling. Maybe if I had rented a better place that allowed me to host things would've turned in a completely different direction.

There is also only a small period of time within most melee players' life where they have a lot of opportunity to grow the community they are in...
Most younger players want to come out and play a lot but are restricted by parents, income, lack of car, etc. so their contribution is limited.
Older players with disposable income are too busy dealing with adult situations (hookers and mortgages).
There's a small gap where you have independence and also the ability to help grow the community before you get too old and have to focus on real life crap and this usually occurs sometime in the first two to three years of university kids studying away from home.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
You need to pay presto at every transit change, and the student rate for passes/tickets is still cheaper iirc. There is a joint pass for Mississauga and TTC I believe, but not worth it unless you go more than 5 times a week or something just to break even.

Mississauga student bus tickets are $2.25 per ride, and if you buy tokens for the TTC, $2.65 per ride for that. If you drove, gas and parking is probably slightly more expensive than the student rate, but its more convenient.

And if you live in Mississauga, you basically need a car if you want to actually be productive with traveling to go to one store, restaurant, someones place, or god forbid any more than one of those in a day.

At least I live on the Toronto side of Mississauga, anyone past SQ1, taking transit into Toronto probably needs to tack on another hour/hour and a half with the ****ty bus times on top of the already minimum 1+ hour transit. Car that **** up lol.

idea

Smash Master
LOL ouch david. you know you adore our lovable homestead. The door off its hinges, the shopping cart, the puke stained couch... they all complete the mosaic that is hamilton smash.
lol, reminds me of carroll's place from a while ago where the upstairs window wasn't a window at all, but rather a bedsheet stapled to the wall. not very effective in winter.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol i bought a crt today and it feels no different from the game mode on my flatscreen

s/os to people who said my flatscreen lagged
Not all flatscreens lag. It's just that most developers don't really take into account the time it takes to upscale input and the time it takes to display those pixels. There are definitely some flatscreen TVs that perform very well. Usually game mode means no lag

Top Bottom