• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Europhoria

Smash Lord
In Toronto, I miss my home. Not my parents house, just the city/people. >_> I can't remember a time when I ever wanted to live somewhere else even while every pretentious **** was talking about moving somewhere "better" in high school and the start of university.

Ideally after culinary school, I'd like to keep my seniority where I work and transfer it to one of their Toronto locations at least as a starter, assuming I want a different/better job I guess (working for a catering company now). I keep hearing about people who did that to escape the big city, I'd certainly like to hope it works in reverse.

-I suppose that assumes I keep that job for the next few years, etc. and that the world doesn't blow up because Republicans would rather do that then have a black guy in office.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
where does everyone think they are going to be in 5 years?
im done my degree in 2013 so hopefully working as an engineer

also drinking while on methotrexate is only something you do if you think liver cancer would be a neat thing to have :(

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
WTF I take tegretol. Shouldn't it be based on your condition not the drug itself?

idea

Smash Master
alright here's my plan

- move out as soon as possible
- possibly live with one or more smashers (then i could start actually practicing!)
- (or on my own if i can afford it; i won't be able to afford it)
- get at least one job. i want to work at A and C games and at an aquarium. the store itself seems like a nice place to work, it'd be cool to run tournaments as my job, and it's right near the lick's with amazing veggie burgers i go to all the time anyway.
there's supposed to be a huge aquarium being built in toronto by about 2013. i could work both part-time, or either one on its own would probably be fine. i don't know what exactly i'd do at an aquarium without a biology-ish degree, but i don't care, i just want to hang around fish all day :bee:
- possibly some sort of girl involvement. can't really plan for that, but whatever, i'll find someone i like by then.

In Toronto, I miss my home. Not my parents house, just the city/people. >_> I can't remember a time when I ever wanted to live somewhere else even while every pretentious **** was talking about moving somewhere "better" in high school and the start of university.

Ideally after culinary school, I'd like to keep my seniority where I work and transfer it to one of their Toronto locations at least as a starter, assuming I want a different/better job I guess (working for a catering company now). I keep hearing about people who did that to escape the big city, I'd certainly like to hope it works in reverse.

-I suppose that assumes I keep that job for the next few years, etc. and that the world doesn't blow up because Republicans would rather do that then have a black guy in office.
awww

i want to see what vancouver is like. maybe just for a vacation or something though, i don't want to move. i feel the same pretty much, toronto is a great city in a lot of ways.

wow you all like to cook o_O

didn't know that
i can make like 4 things pretty well :D

Ryan, why'd you get blown up so hard by me?
lolll that troll doll looks so familiar.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
"According to this theory, as a person makes more money, expectations and desires rise in tandem, which results in no permanent gain in happiness."

:/

Divinokage

Smash Legend
"According to this theory, as a person makes more money, expectations and desires rise in tandem, which results in no permanent gain in happiness."

Yes that is correct but not entirely. I mean if you can control yourself a little bit then it's not hard to sit back and enjoy what you have rather than always trying to achieve something all the time with money. Like, desiring more and more = harder to find happiness since you'll never be entirely satisfied.

A fool is 'happy' when his cravings are satisfied. A warrior is happy without reason. That's what makes happiness the ultimate discipline.

Here's another good quote:

We went out to service a huge black limousine. When we returned later to the office, I asked Soc whether he thought rich people are any happier than "poor stiffs like us."

His response, as usual, shocked me. "I am not poor, Dan, I'm extremely wealthy. And as a matter of fact, you must become rich to be happy." He smiled at my dumbfounded expression, picked up a pen from his desk, and wrote on a clean white sheet of paper:

“Happiness equal satisfaction over desires”

"If you have enough money to satisfy your desires, Dan, you are rich. But there are two ways to be rich: You can earn, inherit, borrow, beg, or steal enough money to meet expensive desires; or, you can cultivate a simple lifestyle of few desires; that way you always have more than enough money.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, that seems true. really, we're all rich: free education, free health care, shelter, all our houses have running water, low crime rate, our country is not at war with anyone, public transportation covers most of the city, we have easy access to an absurd variety of food. you just don't think of these things much.

but how happy do those things make you? we take those things for granted. and that's not a bad thing, really; it's good to adapt to your surroundings. if you woke up every day like "AWESOME, FREE HEALTH CARE...AWESOME, MY HOUSE HAS CLEAN RUNNING WATER"...it'd be hard to get anything done. you adapt equally to bad things. it's a useful skill, but it makes it hard to appreciate what you already have had for a long period of time.

it's the same with people we would call rich. how happy would making $500 000 a year really make you? you'd probably love it for a year or two. then you'd get used to it. the same way you get used to everything else that goes on in your life. and then your happiness is neutral again. you have a way better tv and a bigger house, but those aren't new anymore, the novelty has worn off.

there was a study done on this. it's hard to study happiness, obviously, but those problems aside, it showed that people who win the lottery are not any happier a few years down the road. you find ways to spend the money. it's pretty easy.

this is why it's so important to be happy with what you already have.

edit: kage is right too. that equation sounds right.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
"Only the warrior has the insight and discipline to make use of that second way.
Full attention to every moment is my desire and my pleasure. Attention costs no money; your only investment is training. That's another advantage of being a warrior,
“The secret of happiness you see is not found in seeking more but in developing the capacity to enjoy less”

Just to complete up there. =P <-- Maybe now you understand more how I feel most of the time and how I can be happy most of the time too... just like typing on my keyboard to write this message. =)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Reggie I forgot to give you money for the rum.

I will therefore provide you money for booze or other substances next time I see you.

<333

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i've always wanted to work at a&c... i've known the guys for like 3 yrs now and they know ive been interested for at least a year, but im pretty sure they have a rotating part-time schedule and it depends who they have room for lol, it aint a big place after all

i mean im working full time now so alls well that ends well but maybe when i go back to school it'd be awesome! still a bit of a pipe dream for me tho my medical condition doesn't let me stand for very long lol:(

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow

Sounds about right.

Yes that is correct but not entirely. I mean if you can control yourself a little bit then it's not hard to sit back and enjoy what you have rather than always trying to achieve something all the time with money. Like, desiring more and more = harder to find happiness since you'll never be entirely satisfied.
It's human nature to crave more- our existence is continuous suffering, release from materialism is the very definition of Nirvana- a concept featured in many cultures.

In five years? I've always burdened myself with the past, I'm certain thinking about the future won't help that much either.

The present? Focus on it so I have a future.

Top Bottom