• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I also like what Ryan said. You have to be really close... close enough to either punish immediately out of shield, or close enough that in the time it takes them to jump and shoot you'll be in range punish from shield from a dash. Counter is the same thing, but easier to do + slightly more risk. They shouldn't be shooting you if you're that close.

This doesn't making shielding bad at all (for marth + some others). Most of how Marth plays this match up is like... wd out of shield to get inside their camping + abusing the lack of hit stun lasers have on shield/other things. I feel like most characters generally just try to get inside Falco's laser camping so that they can't shoot anymore without getting ***** and then they have to fight.

idea

Smash Master
okay, i can host on saturday.

anyone can come, anyone can stay over, keeping in mind that the more of you there are the less floor space there will be.

that said, i have to kick everyone out around 12:00 noon on sunday. i'm going to oshawa later that day and have to meet people at Union station around 1:something.

some stipulations:
- if you are coming, PLEASE POST HERE FIRST. i don't mind lots of people showing up at my door, but it is a bit disconcerting when i have no warning that people will be showing up in such large numbers. if you just tell me beforehand i'll be fine with it (not that i'd be mad otherwise, but y'know).

- please throw away your own garbage. just in general, if you bought mcdonald's, and you're about to get up for some reason, you might as well throw out the bag. any dishes you guys use can be randomly piled on the kitchen counters. (if the garbage bag is full, someone come tell me and i'll get a new one)

- try to be quiet once it gets late. you don't need to whisper, just make a mental note to stop yelling "OH ****" after everything.

- no one feed my dog (taffy) anything. she used to have an intestinal problem and now she can only eat certain diet food, so we're assuming it would be bad for her to eat anything else. similarly, if you see any food lying on the floor, pick it up, please. if the kitchen is too far for you then at least put it on a table or something =P

yeah, i guess that's it. bring cubes and tvs.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
ryan posting:

powershielding isn't that good, unless you're up close, but if they bother to laser at close range while you're on the ground, you deserve to kill them.
While I don't disagree with the ability to get inside people's heads I disagree with this as a reason for why power shielding is really useful against Falco for 2 reasons.
-This basically the argument of "use mindgames to win!". They can mind-game you too... which leads to the real point.
-Even when I was good at moving at moving out of my shield (it's like 50/50 if you don't make any mistakes), it was still far from an absolute solution to what a Fox/Falco can do against your shield. Power-shielding is legitimately just another way to use counter spam on a Falco, they'll start to blow you up for all the shielding with a variety of Falco like answers (grab, shield pressure, shoot more lasers from a distance). So while it's useful sometimes, it's very over rated.
I also like what Ryan said. You have to be really close... close enough to either punish immediately out of shield, or close enough that in the time it takes them to jump and shoot you'll be in range punish from shield from a dash. Counter is the same thing, but easier to do + slightly more risk. They shouldn't be shooting you if you're that close.

This doesn't making shielding bad at all (for marth + some others). Most of how Marth plays this match up is like... wd out of shield to get inside their camping + abusing the lack of hit stun lasers have on shield/other things. I feel like most characters generally just try to get inside Falco's laser camping so that they can't shoot anymore without getting ***** and then they have to fight.
I dash in -> powershield. Normally a quick wavedash in will force them to stop shooting since I'm too close. However, if they are shooting, it doesn't take long for me to run in -> PS -> fair. If you are able to do it most of the time, it's a lot more useful. It's not like I stand on the other side of the stage and PS lasers. Though I have done that, and Falco goes nuts. I usually approach by wavelanding on platforms, or dashing in and shield -> fair.

Basically, if I'm at mid-range away, marth's fair is good enough that I can powershield and connect the fair. If I'm close, they won't be shooting lasers anyway, and if I'm far away, I'm usually waveshielding in or using platforms or somehow getting closer. My marth is pretty aggressive against Falco, so this works for me.

I don't get scared of lasers ever. Isn't that enough to say it's good against Falco? Falco without laser is better than Falco with laser. Eric and anyone who's played me thinks twice before they move or shoot -- this is what I mean by "getting in their head". Not many players can think on their feet fast enough to know when to stop shooting.

But if your falcos have learned how to beat PS, I think that's cool. Maybe I should post some vids so I don't seem so nuts.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
You don't need to power shield a laser at that range you're referring to, the lasers have like no stun and you can just f-air them out of shield anyways. If you're short hopping, you can f-air out of the laser's stun before you hit the ground as well (that trick has more to it, but I'm lazy). I learned both of those things from playing with Cort.
Dash in power-shielding is nice, however for Marth the situation the power shield can only ever do something different then wavedashing out of shield to control movement if you're in grab range (where Ryan pointed out, they shouldn't be lasering anyways)

Power-shielding lasers is good, and a funny trick if you can do it. But it's hardly game breaking; in situations where you can power shield to punish you could probably punish anyways without the power shield. The laser just doesn't have enough stun to auto **** Marth (mostly because of range) the way it does like 21/26 characters in melee. (I'm not talking about Falco's beating the PS, it's about how little it realistically does)

Noobking, I know you love your coast and all, but you've gotta be kidding me. Maybe he does NOW because there are like 2 Marth mains left in the world but honestly, I've yet to really see a Marth fight Falco like Cactuar (frame work for how you ideally fight Falco with Marth is here) or Cort (retired).

Kyle... I might come on, but I'll be late-ish? Somewhere between 5-7 I guess. Lunch with people first

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
You don't need to power shield a laser at that range you're referring to, the lasers have like no stun and you can just f-air them out of shield anyways. If you're short hopping, you can f-air out of the laser's stun before you hit the ground as well (that trick has more to it, but I'm lazy). I learned both of those things from playing with Cort.
Dash in power-shielding is nice, however for Marth the situation the power shield can only ever do something different then wavedashing out of shield to control movement if you're in grab range (where Ryan pointed out, they shouldn't be lasering anyways)

Power-shielding lasers is good, and a funny trick if you can do it. But it's hardly game breaking; in situations where you can power shield to punish you could probably punish anyways without the power shield. The laser just doesn't have enough stun to auto **** Marth (mostly because of range) the way it does like 21/26 characters in melee. (I'm not talking about Falco's beating the PS, it's about how little it realistically does)

Noobking, I know you love your coast and all, but you've gotta be kidding me. Maybe he does NOW because there are like 2 Marth mains left in the world but honestly, I've yet to really see a Marth fight Falco like M2k (plays Sheik), Cactuar (frame work for how you ideally fight Falco with Marth is here) or Cort (retired).

Kyle... I might come on, but I'll be late-ish? Somewhere between 5-7 I guess. Lunch with people first
I'm not joking even in the least. I think his marth is better than cactuar's. You haven't seen enough of it to know. I've been around since forever and have seen and played against most of the best marths. Although I guess we could just jump to the conclusion that i'm being biased becasue we live in the same city.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
It's all about moving out of shield and handling the space animal shield pressure game. I haven't seen a Marth play as well in terms of his movement and out of shield game against Falco as his old 08 videos yet. Even with 2 years to catch up.

Those are the biggest 2 aspects against Falco IMO (well, really 1 aspect... getting inside his spacing), I think any Fox player (or other people) who's had Falco just laser at them from under a platform would agree how much valuable the ability to get inside is then ability to combo them/do a power shield to b-air once every 8 stocks because once you get your hands on a Falco, it's all good.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Lol Adam I don't think I'm the 2nd best Marth against Falco. I am very good in that matchup, but I don't think I'm like PRO LEVEL OMGG. Btw europhoria after discussing here with you I went to powershield a bunch in friendlies against Eric. Sheik is good with powershield too! omg!

=] alrighty. You guys have to teach me to fight Fox with Marth. I used to be really good at it, but now I just get scared and get grabbed.

What do I do guys?

edit:// No, PS isn't gamebreaking. I think it's too hard to scribe the theory of circumstance in which I do it. Suffice it to say, it works for me quite well. Maybe the billion falcos around here need to work harder! It's not the PS that makes my marth good against Falco, but it helps, because I get like at least 1 combo a stock because of it. If my combos were better.... well, I don't combo that well.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, Sheik can definitely use it. Uhhhhh, against Fox iunno, just **** them when they do any aerial on your shield lol.

Otherwise... Approaching them, depends on the style... if they camp they'll corner themselves and it's easy (any aerial... late f-air, n-air, double f-air, overshoot, f-smash whatever). If they approach, just defend yourself til they go away and you have a chance to do something.

I posted this in the Marth boards ages ago but uhhh:
Approaching Fox > Approaching Marth
Approaching Fox < Camping Marth
Camping Fox > Camping Marth
Camping Fox = (ish) = Approaching Marth

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
lol from reading it from the start it sounded like u guys were angry at each other then u keep reading and its like u guys old friends,

on a side note: so im making texture hacks for melee, and i wanted to make one for MK2, however i didnt have it unlocked in my gc emulator version cuz the program got messed up so i was burning disk, so lol i play the emulator just to c how lucky i am, i play 3 matches get 8coins, and i put 1 coin in that lottery modeand i get the birdo trophy, has that ever happened to anyoneeeee? like i swore when i first got smash it took me a week to get that ****ing trophy

idea

Smash Master
hi BC. i agree with you and i agree with us. it's useful, but not as useful as some might say, but no one here is saying that anyway, blah blah blah. i look at all those posts as a discussion of how powershielding falco's lasers works.

which is good. i prefer discussions to debates anyway. debates tend to get personal, which is childish and results in little actually getting done. for example, "melee is better than brawl". >_>

(although i'm tempted to agree with the people who a lot more practice with falco mains)

Kyle, I shall come.

Bernard, eat a ****.

2 probably

Yo Kyle, what is the earliest time we can come to your house? I might come.
oh yeah. EARLIEST TIME PEOPLE CAN ARRIVE AT MY HOUSE: 1:00 PM.
(i sleep late)

on a side note: so im making texture hacks for melee, and i wanted to make one for MK2,
this made me think of something. can you make a metaknight costume for jigglypuff?...:chuckle:

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
doesnt work that way, jiggs has like 14textures, skin face(so like eyes mouth toung etc) and like ears, and fee, i cant make the meta knight mask cuz it'd looked ****ed up the most i could do is make a ninja jiggs but the head band texture isnt up yet i have to ask s or it, but im working wit stages right now i made like 2 characters today

Sleaf

Smash Cadet
Andrew and I (Alan) will probably come to this..
Wang better come too! We need to play more team friendlies!!

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
you're clicking the button wildly and they're laughing as you gradually accumulate damage so you can't CC anything
I chuckled a bit at this.
It's just that this is what happens when you DON'T PS rather than when you PS. XD

Pretty sure diakanos has the best vs falco game of any marth ever (save m2k). You guys should just accept what he's saying. ;)
Bad vs Luigi game though. I don't get it. :(

You don't need to power shield a laser at that range you're referring to, the lasers have like no stun and you can just f-air them out of shield anyways.
You don't need to get hit by a laser at that range he's referring to, the laser can be PS'd and you can just f-air them out of shield afterwards.

See what I did there? hahah
It's just better to PS than to not PS. Manuel PS's EVERYTHING, so he does it, and it gives him something over those who don't PS everything. And Falco shoots lots of things you can PS. Simple as that really. :\

Hey EC, I heard you play melee.

BC Plays Melee too...

In May... :bee:

idea

Smash Master
so + 3?

i'll round up and call that 6 so far.

regular people who are almost certainly coming, please post too, i just like knowing that you're not gonna unexpectedly be busy.

idea

Smash Master
'k. mine should be removed on march 31st.

it was so weird getting some adult teeth taken out when i got braces. i have really long roots on all my teeth (i ate really healthy as a child) so it took forever to get them out. didn't hurt since they numbed my mouth, but i could feel them spiraling outward from my gums.

fortunately i'll be in a deep, drug-induced sleep for my wisdom teeth. last time that happened was when i had my tonsils taken out. (yeah, by the way, i have no tonsils)

idea

Smash Master
k, so that's 9.

nah, back then i didn't really like ice cream. i ate lots of popsicles and freezies though. and i spent a lot of time lying around on the pull-out couch (it was a different one back then), eating popsicles and playing super metroid with my dad helping me occasionally. that was fun...

haha, really afro? if so, link anyone?

idea

Smash Master
nice montage afro =D that's a good remix too. next time make the music slightly quieter, it's a little hard to hear people, but i just turned up the volume since i like the song anyway. i also suggest varying the volume...make it quieter when people are talking, then louder for a minute or so where you just show people playing with no background sound, stuff like that. but don't worry, i'm just nitpicking.

and oh yeahhh, mini-putt. that never happened.

oh, also, get more footage next time =P i don't think the short distance from ikea to the venue is as interesting to people who weren't there.

edit: looooool i can't watch the ending without laughing

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
shut the hell up afro.
jk
Anyways, I'm gonna most likely come. If I have to get my wisdom teeth taken out that day, I'll try to post.
you shut the hell up
oh ****. Was it fun eating ice cream all day?

edit: imadh is coming too.

edit 2: yo afro, I heard that you cut up P.C. Jona on the falcon boards.
i'd **** his falcon up,

nice montage afro =D that's a good remix too. next time make the music slightly quieter, it's a little hard to hear people, but i just turned up the volume since i like the song anyway. i also suggest varying the volume...make it quieter when people are talking, then louder for a minute or so where you just show people playing with no background sound, stuff like that. but don't worry, i'm just nitpicking.

and oh yeahhh, mini-putt. that never happened.

oh, also, get more footage next time =P i don't think the short distance from ikea to the venue is as interesting to people who weren't there.

edit: looooool i can't watch the ending without laughing

yo thats to much work for a montage lol i need a better camera, like an real video camera one of those 60GB ones, that way i have more than 1-2hours to record, or just road trips or some ****

edit: those songs were from draft punks Alive 2007 (Japan Special Edition) cd, mannn if daft punk came to toronto i'd buy those tickets so fast, daft punk mstrkft, and justice are my 3 fav dj groups kyle have u heard the **** they did for the dj hero sound track is ****ing rapeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Top Bottom