• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I don't understand why they don't just place you in the MMR that you did your provisionals in, with room for movement up or down depending on how well you did. Having bad MMR from last season doesn't justify getting dropped if you've demonstrated in your promos that you're successful at a higher level of play lol.
Why are you complaining. It really doesn't matter, especially if you're not grinding. Boohoo, I'm bronze now instead of silver/gold. There's no realistic benefit in distinguishing yourself among any of those three elos aside from gold getting a championship skin. Hextech crafting is live and an enjoyable concept. The idea of a Solo Q, Solo Q coming out will also make me play a couple of games on it. I don't know why you feel like Riot owes you an MMR. It's arbitrary really.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why are you complaining. It really doesn't matter, especially if you're not grinding. Boohoo, I'm bronze now instead of silver/gold. There's no realistic benefit in distinguishing yourself among any of those three elos aside from gold getting a championship skin. Hextech crafting is live and an enjoyable concept. The idea of a Solo Q, Solo Q coming out will also make me play a couple of games on it. I don't know why you feel like Riot owes you an MMR. It's arbitrary really.
It matters because I can no longer duo with the Gold that I did my provs with.

Just doesn't make sense to put me lower than I was last season when I just won 70% of my games at a higher elo.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
It matters because I can no longer duo with the Gold that I did my provs with. Just doesn't make sense to put me lower than I was last season when I just won 70% of my games at a higher elo.
I don't understand if you're someone who has been elo displaced how any of this made sense to begin with in the first place. You honestly believe that initial displacement is the biggest issue when that is far from the core issue of how actual games play out. I have never fundamentally played a game that I thought was fair in the sense that I go into any game expecting any of my lanes to go even. However the elo/MMR system should dictate that all lanes should go at least equal which never happens.

The game has never been balanced, especially more so with the introduction of clubs and 2-man + 3-mans that are unable to hold their own against solo laners that are generally a higher MMR than them as solo players. The entire 1/2-trick pony system Riot introduced exacerbates this problem making people feel even more entitled to win without understanding how the overall context of the game that gets influenced by their inability to understand the entire context of the game as a whole and only seeing it from the perspective of 1-2 roles within the game.

However, once you realize that it's just an intrinsic part of the game than the entire purpose of ranked boils down to how well you can exploit holes within the meta. If that's the case then it honestly shouldn't matter if you're bronze 5 or scrub 1. The games should be played out as pubstomps until you get stopped and have to figure out the next cheese play style to climb another couple of divisions. More normals experimentation and then bringing it in to ranked where you test it out with people who "care" enough to type out how angry they are when they dc in half their games.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't understand if you're someone who has been elo displaced how any of this made sense to begin with in the first place. You honestly believe that initial displacement is the biggest issue when that is far from the core issue of how actual games play out. I have never fundamentally played a game that I thought was fair in the sense that I go into any game expecting any of my lanes to go even. However the elo/MMR system should dictate that all lanes should go at least equal which never happens.

The game has never been balanced, especially more so with the introduction of clubs and 2-man + 3-mans that are unable to hold their own against solo laners that are generally a higher MMR than them as solo players. The entire 1/2-trick pony system Riot introduced exacerbates this problem making people feel even more entitled to win without understanding how the overall context of the game that gets influenced by their inability to understand the entire context of the game as a whole and only seeing it from the perspective of 1-2 roles within the game.

However, once you realize that it's just an intrinsic part of the game than the entire purpose of ranked boils down to how well you can exploit holes within the meta. If that's the case then it honestly shouldn't matter if you're bronze 5 or scrub 1. The games should be played out as pubstomps until you get stopped and have to figure out the next cheese play style to climb another couple of divisions. More normals experimentation and then bringing it in to ranked where you test it out with people who "care" enough to type out how angry they are when they dc in half their games.
Not sure why you're going on tangents about stuff I never mentioned. It sounds like you're just frustrated at the ranked system and are using this as an excuse to vent.

Complaining about bad teams is completely different to elo placement. Riot can't assess through stats whether an individual deserved to win a game or not that they lossed. They also can't assess whether a player is good enough to be at a higher elo based on their individual performances, as opposed to their win-loss.

Complaining about losing games you feel you deserve to win is complaining that your stats don't reflect your performance. What I'm complaining about is a perplexing misuse of the stats they do have. I'm not saying that I'm better than everyone around me and my teams are holding me back. I'm saying my win-loss stats actually showed I could play at a higher elo than I was at last season yet for some reason they dropped me even lower than where I was before.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
It's just déja vu.
Dre there's an expression in french that says "si t'es bon tu montes". If you are put in a lower division than what you think you deserve (which is the case for 50% of the playrbase) then it shouldn't be a problem to climb back.

If you win more LP per victory than what you lose per defeat then you really are lower than what your mmr says.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I haven't been keeping up with the ELO changes or stuff they toyed with since Pre-season but I do know there was a decent chunk of people saying they were getting a little lower than they deserve.
Simple answer to dealing with that even with the new ****ty dynamic queue is just put a bit more effort in your games to carry and win, plus with this season where braindead tanks that get bami's cinder and start outrading assassins mages ADCs etc. you can do that easily to be honest.

Also think back from a random data image I saw it also showed more people were thrown in bronze/silver this season than ever due to the changes I guess.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I dislike dynamic que. I miss being able to go into a game being okay to just fill to fit the team need, without being forced to always support. I'm a good support but picking fill is just another support button.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah I feel the same way, and to make things worse there is no difference between primary and secondary pick. You just flip a coin and it's 50/50 for each (unless you've picked support in one of them then you're going support).

I wish I was able to select "just go with pick order" instead of a role, and that it would match me only with people who picked the same.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's just déja vu.
Dre there's an expression in french that says "si t'es bon tu montes". If you are put in a lower division than what you think you deserve (which is the case for 50% of the playrbase) then it shouldn't be a problem to climb back.

If you win more LP per victory than what you lose per defeat then you really are lower than what your mmr says.
I am climbing back but I shouldn't have to spend time doing that (time which I can't duo with the gold) when I've just done well literally an entire division above where I am now.

Also it's not always as simple as being able to climb out if you truly deserve to be higher. Let's say I stagnate in Bronze, even though I've climbed out twice in previous seasons, and just went 7-3 in mid-high Silver elo.

Would you'd say I'm a Bronze level player, or would you say I'm high Silver because I've done well at that high level?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If you're in bronze you're in bronze

I've held my own in diamond mmr premade 5s, I'm still in silver so I'm silver

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I am climbing back but I shouldn't have to spend time doing that (time which I can't duo with the gold) when I've just done well literally an entire division above where I am now. Also it's not always as simple as being able to climb out if you truly deserve to be higher.
If you're complaining about climbing then you're not being efficient. My w/r is 55.5% and I've only spent a week or so playing here and there and I'm currently Bronze I from Bronze V.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Soft Serve- That's not analogous at all. I've done well in ranked 5s against Diamond/Challenger but that's your performance, not your results. I'm assuming you didn't read what I've said otherwise you wouldn't make an analogy like that.

If you're complaining about climbing then you're not being efficient. My w/r is 55.5% and I've only spent a week or so playing here and there and I'm currently Bronze I from Bronze V.
No I just don't want to play 50 games or whatever it is to take me from B2 to high Silver, AKA the elo where my results showed I could perform.

I don't care much about elo but I'd still have to play 15-20 games to get to Silver so I can play with my Gold friend. That's hours of gameplay I should be having with my friend that I'm not because of a stupid placement system that's easily fixed.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I am climbing back but I shouldn't have to spend time doing that (time which I can't duo with the gold) when I've just done well literally an entire division above where I am now.

Also it's not always as simple as being able to climb out if you truly deserve to be higher. Let's say I stagnate in Bronze, even though I've climbed out twice in previous seasons, and just went 7-3 in mid-high Silver elo.

Would you'd say I'm a Bronze level player, or would you say I'm high Silver because I've done well at that high level?
I would say that it doesn't matter since wanting to get out of bronze just to be silver is equivalent to wanting to leave a cesspool to go to a slightly cleaner, even more crowded cesspool.
So stop with that "at least I'm not bronze" attitude, from a competitive standpoint both divisions are terrible. If you really want to play with your friend then go in draft mode, and climb when he's not on.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I would say that it doesn't matter since wanting to get out of bronze just to be silver is equivalent to wanting to leave a cesspool to go to a slightly cleaner, even more crowded cesspool.
So stop with that "at least I'm not bronze" attitude, from a competitive standpoint both divisions are terrible. If you really want to play with your friend then go in draft mode, and climb when he's not on.
How could possibly deduce that I have a 'at least I'm not Bronze attitude' when I've explained multiple times I don't care about my elo and that only reason why I wanted to be Silver was so I could duo with my friend?

Like I legit even said I'd prefer to be Bronze if it wasn't for losing the ability to duo with Golds lol

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well then you have 2 alternatives : either climb back to him or complain to riot until they put you into silver. Good luck on both.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well then you have 2 alternatives : either climb back to him or complain to riot until they put you into silver. Good luck on both.
I'll just climb back. Climbing is significantly easier now with the role selection system because you can always get carry roles.

Plus in Bronze I can get away with playing mages in mid, so it's pretty fun.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm still surprised by everyone saying fill = support and that support mains should always get their role. It's near 50/50 for me between Support and ADC. I actually wind up as ADC more often on NA than Support despite putting Support as my primary. On EUW, it's about 70/30 ratio for me.

:059:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Teambuilder was a much better system.
Teambuilder had like 30 minute queues on some servers like mine.

I can't comprehend how someone could dislike this system. You always get a role you like and have the option of going fill, and you can play ranked with as many friends as you like. You also get to show what champ you want so people don't ban it and you have the chance at a semblance of a team comp.

This season has fixed so many issues with the champ select system I can't believe people are complaining about it.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Teambuilder had like 30 minute queues on some servers like mine.

I can't comprehend how someone could dislike this system. You always get a role you like and have the option of going fill, and you can play ranked with as many friends as you like. You also get to show what champ you want so people don't ban it and you have the chance at a semblance of a team comp.

This season has fixed so many issues with the champ select system I can't believe people are complaining about it.
It's mainly because it allows five friends to join up and progress through ranked - There is no Solo Queue anymore, teams of five highly coordinated friends could easily stomp any other non-five man premade getting in their way. The actual Champion Select is fine (aside from that it focuses way too much on circles and doesn't let me browse all of the Champs that I have the chance to play).

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Dre89 Dre89 I only had to wait ten or fifteen minutes to start a game of teambuilder. If I was a captain I could also pick whether I wanted Graves top lane or Trundle.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
What can I do as Voli vs Graves in top? I tried being aggressive but that ended up with him escaping with E and dealing crazy damage to me, I tried being passive and focusing on farming but his new passive made it super easy for him to zone me out and I couldn't get any farm. Half of my deaths were under turret because of the insane poke from his skillshots, and I couldn't build enough health and armor to deal with his damage early-mid game.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
What can I do as Voli vs Graves in top? I tried being aggressive but that ended up with him escaping with E and dealing crazy damage to me, I tried being passive and focusing on farming but his new passive made it super easy for him to zone me out and I couldn't get any farm. Half of my deaths were under turret because of the insane poke from his skillshots, and I couldn't build enough health and armor to deal with his damage early-mid game.
dodge things, stack armor, graves passively pushes so he's vulnerable to camping. if you keep up in farm and get a good lead from a fight/gank/catch you can just start bullying him. rush sunfire to counter his pushing power imo.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
This is theory crafting, but couldn't he take Flash + Smite so he has the option of either going for Chilling Smite to catch up with Graves when he tries to run away or Challenger's Smite if Graves really tries to get into his face and try to duel with him? I'm advising smite over exhaust because it will allow him to farm gromp or scuttle crab a lot easier to give him river vision and gromp if he is playing a passive game of freezing the wave around his tower after a push. That way he can still get some subsidiary farm to be close to Graves while losing out some CS intentionally in the melee v. ranged matchup. Also, smite is on lower cooldown than exhaust. He would lose out on flanking power without teleport, however if he's being pushed by Graves that means that he won't have a lot of options to roam the map regardless.

Also movement quints.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Top lane Graves, no matter what matchup, is all about pushing your **** in taking turret and doing that forever till 3v1 or going somewhere else to do the same.
Let him take turret and last hit while occasionally roaming or TP plays if your lane pushes.

Really unless your jungler has hard CC like elise or gragas that lands while you hopefully follow up if they land their stuff, you can't win lane or do anything against Graves unless he screws up early and Voli has sunfire to get in and maybe outdamage Graves.
Though even building tank prolly won't work especially since people are just now finding out warlords is broken and everyone is taking it now (but more of OP on Graves top, which is why he's getting nerfed along with warlords http://prntscr.com/ajvppd)

Also no, with all the ap junglers needing as much ap/farm they can get since MR/locket/Maw is op right now or stacking junglers like kindred needing all camps to be useful most of the time, Smite top has been nerfed and not worth going anymore. TP is still better to gank around the map for kills or objectives, or even just getting back to lane quicker if you're with your team and graves just goes to splitpushing all game.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
boots and 6th item can be whatever, otherwise the "I'm a big boy tank mommy" build is PD DD Steraks Maw.

It's literally Kindred's new build sadly too. Maw and steraks just needs some tuning while PD and DD are fine, just graves that abuses the whole damage reduction thing the most along with damaging AD.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
hit gold

wooo!

checked how much I have spent on league in total

wooo...

anyone want to buy a gold account with way too many skins?

Top Bottom