• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
now if someone could kindly teach me the way of the Jarvan it would be greatly appreciated

I think I want to jungle Jarvan unless it isn't worth it anymore...then I guess top lane Jarvan?

assuming Jarvan is still good.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
now if someone could kindly teach me the way of the Jarvan it would be greatly appreciated

I think I want to jungle Jarvan unless it isn't worth it anymore...then I guess top lane Jarvan?

assuming Jarvan is still good.
He's a situationally passable top (along the same vein as wukong, bursts pretty hard but no innate sustain), and alright in the jungle. my TL thread on Jarman is pretty useful: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=197821

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I guess it's decent early choice against Riven top, but pushing her to tower doesn't really help you since she can easily push the wave back and/or last hit at her tower.

I guess also doesn't help that he started boots and pots instead of cloth 5 against Riven -_- And that he's building AD o_O

jpak

Smash Lord
i dont like sivir anymore because a lot of the ad carries can own her in lane and be so far behind that her ult cant make up for it
mf and ashe are both underplayed (ashe's laning phase isnt as bad ppl think it is)
cait is bad (you have to be really good at taking advantage of her range in the laning phase, and theres probably only two players that ive seen do this), the advantage has to be pretty big cs wise midgame since cait's midgame sucks
vayne is fine
wukong is good
then again everything is viable in this game..

my super tip is if you put your mouse over the person's summoners on your scoreboard you can see what their cooldown is which will help you time their summoners and sometimes determine their spec

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
my super tip is if you put your mouse over the person's summoners on your scoreboard you can see what their cooldown is which will help you time their summoners and sometimes determine their spec
WHAT!?

Do you mean it shows you how much time is left since last use, or it just tells you the CD of the spell?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I've figured out what ELO hell actually is!

It's the feeling of discuragement you get from the fact that in a team game with randomized teammates and opponents you will get people who give you a 100% chance of losing!

The only solution is to change your personality.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I guess it's decent early choice against Riven top, but pushing her to tower doesn't really help you since she can easily push the wave back and/or last hit at her tower.

I guess also doesn't help that he started boots and pots instead of cloth 5 against Riven -_- And that he's building AD o_O
I can't see voli doing anything but getting ***** sideways by Riven anyway. Might just be me underestimating bear strength, but his CDs are ridiculous when put next to her, + he has mana constraints and doesn't scale as well as far as I can tell.

Wes, calm down. We don't need your kind of rage in this thread right now.
Ok, I'll let better types of rage take it over. I'm still responding to everything worth responding to how I normally would, so I'm not sure what you're worried about here.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Got my dota 2 beta key!

you see the assumption you made? also whats your rating, ok then u shouldnt even say the word stupid about anybody else

@jtb =/
Obvious dphat troll attempt was obvious. What I was pointing out was that it wasn't a good troll which is completely unrelated to Elo. Seriously, if you're gonna try to troll somebody, at least make it funny. Playing the monkey just flinging poo at people is simply sad.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Graphics are definitely better. I'm not a fan of the shop or the minimap personally though. Too used to seeing character portraits so you actually know what's coming. Also I'm bad at it now.

@Mogwai - Voli v Riven actually very even early from my experiences. Theoretically neither should should beat the other as long as a dumb mistake isn't made. However if Riven packs ignite it gives her a slight edge, I'd say. She does outscale him considerably, though.

As for the anger, you need to fix that troll radar of yours, lol.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The shop in DotA2 sucks but you only get to make like two items a game anyways. Full builds require an absolutely obscene amount of gold.

That and you can make custom edits to the recommended stuff to cut down on the ****ty shop, lol.

EDIT: pX, Are you talking lane scaling for overall scaling for riven? Her overall scaling is one of her biggest lategame failings imo, i would think volis was better based on his w.

EDIT2: DotA2 is better based literally on the OBSCENE ability to troll people in game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iczBZ4XRCHY

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Prepare yourself for disappointment!

I still can't believe how they somehow made it even less intuitive to shop than it was in the first DotA and how the graphics still look worse to me :(.
Disapointment compared to Dota or LoL? Played a total of one game in the original Dota so, I don't expect there's much to disapoint.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
EDIT: pX, Are you talking lane scaling for overall scaling for riven? Her overall scaling is one of her biggest lategame failings imo, i would think volis was better based on his w.
Riven has one of the strongest late game scalings in the game... the big problem is most people tend to build her squishy assassin so she can't take advantage of that.

Voli is a midgame monster, especially if you build AS. I personally believe that to maximize his damage you want CDR and AS to get the most out of his ulti, which does obscene damage (W is a good execute and gives good AS, but Voli base AS and AS/lvl are pretty bad).

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
??? Riven's overall scaling is completely absurd, what are you talking about? 7 second base CD on a Dash + Shield with 1:1 AD Scaling? 7 second base CD on an AoE Stun with 1:1 Ad Scaling? On just skills she has up to 4.9:1 AOE AD scaling, then you factor in her passive and the fact that she also has absurd mobility and single target damage from her passive and what the hell else do you want on a Melee champ? :laugh:

Disapointment compared to Dota or LoL? Played a total of one game in the original Dota so, I don't expect there's much to disapoint.
Compared to everything. I was seriously just furious at the game because I couldn't just go into a game and figure out how to buy ****. It's not about measuring up to anything, it's about game design 101. Basic actions should be simple and intuitive, if they're not, you're doing it wrong.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Don't forget that when you pop her ult, Riven's AD scales with itself too, which then scales with absolutely everything else in her kit, lol.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
??? Riven's overall scaling is completely absurd, what are you talking about? 7 second base CD on a Dash + Shield with 1:1 AD Scaling? 7 second base CD on an AoE Stun with 1:1 Ad Scaling? On just skills she has up to 4.9:1 AOE AD scaling, then you factor in her passive and the fact that she also has absurd mobility and single target damage from her passive and what the hell else do you want on a Melee champ?
Riven has one of the strongest late game scalings in the game... the big problem is most people tend to build her squishy assassin so she can't take advantage of that.
Eh, I should have phrased that better. I've never seen Riven able to carry a deep late game because she doesn't scale with crit as well as a lot of champions, nor does she have the ability to build much of it because every single item she builds has to have AD on it in some form or another, even if it's just HP to convert to damage.

I guess she's a character with a higher skill cap than people are capable of reaching at the level I play at / typically watch (I don't usually have access to tourney streams when they're up).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Well, I mean, very few melee champs fill that slot, and even then it is challenging for them b/c of the fact they are melee. That's why you have the ranged AD characters.

And the melee that used to do this are slowly getting phased out of that role (Jarvan, Jax, Xin, etc).

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Prepare yourself for disappointment!

I still can't believe how they somehow made it even less intuitive to shop than it was in the first DotA and how the graphics still look worse to me :(.
You crazy, however the shop definitely could be better. That said, I still find it miles ahead of LoL shop. But I also find the LoL shop to be the worst aside from the new HoN shop.

It's literally DotA on a new engine, so I guess the only way you'd be disappointed would be if you didn't like DotA to begin with.

Graphics are definitely better. I'm not a fan of the shop or the minimap personally though. Too used to seeing character portraits so you actually know what's coming. Also I'm bad at it now.
I'm not 100% positive on this, but you can probably set it up to work that way now. Holding alt will instead display little 8-bit icons of every hero on the map, I have to imagine there's some config that makes that display full time.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Riven has one of the strongest late game scalings in the game... the big problem is most people tend to build her squishy assassin so she can't take advantage of that..
People build her squishy?? I usually see her built most effectively Tanky, so I can bully people...at least that's how I build her most of the time.

I've been playing her a lot lately, and as a jungle. I think she has an absurd jungle presence, and her ganks are super effective.

I use a core of Wiggles, Brutalizer, and Frozen Mallet, usually. If I'm doing super well, maybe a Blood Thirster early if I have the money.

What do you do, px?

:phone:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
You crazy, however the shop definitely could be better. That said, I still find it miles ahead of LoL shop. But I also find the LoL shop to be the worst aside from the new HoN shop.
sorry really have to bite, what's wrong with the LoL shop? it's literally miles ahead of both DotA shops from, well, every angle that I'm capable of imagining on my own, so I need some help from you explaining what's wrong with it.

Eh, I should have phrased that better. I've never seen Riven able to carry a deep late game because she doesn't scale with crit as well as a lot of champions, nor does she have the ability to build much of it because every single item she builds has to have AD on it in some form or another, even if it's just HP to convert to damage.

I guess she's a character with a higher skill cap than people are capable of reaching at the level I play at / typically watch (I don't usually have access to tourney streams when they're up).
Has literally nothing to do with crit and everything to do with the fact that she's Melee. Games will hit that point where ranged carries will kill anyone who does damage in 3 hits and at that point she has the same problems as every other Melee, but this is simply an issue with attack range being a stat that you can't do anything about, and nothing to do with her particular scaling.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
People build her squishy?? I usually see her built most effectively Tanky, so I can bully people...at least that's how I build her most of the time.

I've been playing her a lot lately, and as a jungle. I think she has an absurd jungle presence, and her ganks are super effective.

I use a core of Wiggles, Brutalizer, and Frozen Mallet, usually. If I'm doing super well, maybe a Blood Thirster early if I have the money.

What do you do, px?

:phone:
This is a good build, maybe with a hexdrinker thrown in earlier if enemy has a lot of magic damage, mid/late game Atma's

The more popular/common build is double dorans, brut, BT, and then very late GA. Not only do they hvae no survivability til late game, every time they die they lose a huge chunk of their damage. Not to mention GA really only gives you that additional tankiness when the passive is up, and doesn't give you the slow to land boosted autos that mallet does.

Wickd traditionally builds tankier Riven, but he's one of the few that I've seen.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
The LoL shop and Current DotA 2 shop both suffer from the inability for me to purchase with hotkeys, which is just plain faster in the end of the day. I'm also pretty sure we've had this discussion before.

Don't get me wrong, DotA 2 shop is bad as well, but it also has the quick buy bar which is nice. I just wish there were more than one slot on the quick buy bar that carried over between games.

Top Bottom