• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

S l o X

Smash Champion
Is there a newb friendly guide to this because I just installed & updated & need to waste time until the servers up. My brother sucks at the game too so he can only teach me the basics.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I haven't really checked out any guides, but what characters are you interested in? Me and other people can give you some pointers to help you get started if nothing else.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Is there a newb friendly guide to this because I just installed & updated & need to waste time until the servers up. My brother sucks at the game too so he can only teach me the basics.
hmm kinda sucks that the servers are down kuz the built in tutorial that the game has is pretty thorough regarding noob play...I was completely clueless when i started and the tutorial got me goin pretty well.

well, since the servers are offline, maybe check this out?
http://forum.leaguecraft.com/showthread.php?tid=5831

it's an abbreviation thread for things that ppl say in game, so it may help you out to know what ppl are talking about haha

good luck and have fun

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
CABC: Have we now? I remember playing with some smashers because I got their names while chatting in the solomid.net livestream, maybe you're one of them?

S l o X

Smash Champion
@_kSo_. Well, I know the COMPLETE basics & my brother told me not to do the tutorial and just showed me basic stuff & I was like "Oh, easy." Thanks for the link.

Had some practice games & was pretty fun. I haven't played any character but heimerdinger at this point but I'll mess around with others. The game is amazingly fun.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
On Hotshot's stream last night, he was playing Kayle and ended up 2/8/4 or something like that. Ended up winning, though.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
he's the best singed player in the game, hands down. he was also probably the best Jax back when Jax was good. no idea if he has a stream or is part of any big teams, I just know I've seen him a lot in high elo and he's just always been good. never known him to have an off game.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
How do you guys get so good?

1300 RANKED ELO ALL THE WAY, BABY!!! ACTUAL SOLO QUEUE, TOO!!!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
How do you guys get so good?

1300 RANKED ELO ALL THE WAY, BABY!!! ACTUAL SOLO QUEUE, TOO!!!
rough night landed me at 1587 last night :(

I got so good because I'm pretty much the most awesomest.

in reality, I just always try to put losses on myself and try to figure out what I can do differently, which frequently includes thinking about how I can interact with teammates to get them to stop being ******* and/or to account for their ***********. Oh yea, and I play a lot of IMBA champs, lol.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Unfortunately I can't get my favorite IMBA champs right now because I'm using my IP to get some IMBA runes.

I guess I could pay money or something for the champs. Then I can finally get that Firefighter Tristana skin.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Unfortunately I can't get my favorite IMBA champs right now because I'm using my IP to get some IMBA runes.

I guess I could pay money or something for the champs. Then I can finally get that Firefighter Tristana skin.
well, my opinion is that if your problem is:

"I am under 1500, HALP!"

the solution is:

"buy kayle, buy rageblade, **** *****es, win games... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Play Garen every game

I had actually started climbing the solo queue ladder (6-2 at my first 8 games) but then some amazingly ******** stuff happened that is mostly related to servers. Like one match so many people dc'd that I fought a 1v2 (Garen vs Nidalee and Rammus for those interested).

I also had a match where I went 22-5 as Akali but I could not, for the life of me, get my team to push. Ever. We almost won that one purely because of how fed I was though. I shoulda bought snowball items :\'

Wobbles: I meant I played against you before. Not planned, just remember the name.

Edit: How do I get to the chat anyways?

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
well, my opinion is that if your problem is:

"I am under 1500, HALP!"

the solution is:

"buy kayle, buy rageblade, **** *****es, win games... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Well I'm not exactly calling for help but your advice is discouraging because I own Kayle and get Rageblade and I still have a losing record with her.

By the time I get Rageblade the good ganking opportunities are usually over. So I can do mad damage but if I have crappy teammates there's nothing I can really do at that point.

Are you the same Mogwai that's posting like crazy in the LoL thread on teamliquid right now?

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Don't gank as Kayle, just be a selfish jerk and farm until you finish Rageblade and maybe Nashor's Tooth, then you can take down turrets in <10 seconds and champions in <5 :D just be selfish, save your invuln for yourself, etc.

Playing imba chars in an imba way is the most sensible and repeatedly successful way to climb the Elo ladders.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Well I'm not exactly calling for help but your advice is discouraging because I own Kayle and get Rageblade and I still have a losing record with her.

By the time I get Rageblade the good ganking opportunities are usually over. So I can do mad damage but if I have crappy teammates there's nothing I can really do at that point.

Are you the same Mogwai that's posting like crazy in the LoL thread on teamliquid right now?
yea, I'm on a neverending posting spree in that thread.

and yea, what CABC said. Kayle is 0% about ganking. If you're ganking, you're not farming, if you're not farming, you're failing. You need to grab a solo lane, preferably on a side lane and just farm your *** off. Once you get your zerkers + rageblade, you're a pushing machine. You spend most of your time roaming around farming/pushing lanes and taking towers and arriving fashionably late to teamfights to kill everyone, but you should really never be going for ganks or even generally concerning yourself with your teammates unless it's convenient for you. Too many people think Kayle's still somewhat about support, but at this point she's really a lone-wolf super-carry solo-pusher, like Shaco. The reason she's so effective at solo queue is because you can play very independent of your team so long as you have good map awareness.

Play Garen every game

I had actually started climbing the solo queue ladder (6-2 at my first 8 games) but then some amazingly ******** stuff happened that is mostly related to servers. Like one match so many people dc'd that I fought a 1v2 (Garen vs Nidalee and Rammus for those interested).

I also had a match where I went 22-5 as Akali but I could not, for the life of me, get my team to push. Ever. We almost won that one purely because of how fed I was though. I shoulda bought snowball items :\'

Wobbles: I meant I played against you before. Not planned, just remember the name.

Edit: How do I get to the chat anyways?
Garen's fairly imba and he's probably my most frequent pick these days, but I don't feel the same level of singlehandedly carrying my team that I get with Kayle as Garen.

I'll post instructions with Screenshots of how to get to the Chat, I just realized that not everyone knows how that **** works because PvP.net is pretty whack.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
i had a 11-2 game as garen and the only deaths were at the end because of my team focusing tanks instead of the ashe or akali they had. So we lost every team fight.

It was 22-16 and we were ahead 1 tower by 20 minutes. all their first turrets were gone.

and 3 people on my team wanted to surrender.

I hate solo queue.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
18-12 and 11-5 are pretty good, so yeah.

I can certainly be more selfish and farm for myself more, but no way am I going to do stuff like save Kayle's ultimate for myself (unless I feel I'm the one who needs it the most, of course).

Go go map awareness!

Who's down to play either Tuesday night or Thursday night? I think we should get some of these SWF games rolling.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I make pro-saves like it's my job, but < 1500, **** other people, it was always on me, lol.

I made this post on LoL forums about using Kayle to climb solo queue:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=213710&page=2
SmashGizmo said:
0/9/21 grabbing Strength of Spirit and Defensive Mastery in the Defensive Tree + all the standard mana using Utility Masteries.

I run AS Marks, Mana Regen/Level Seals, Mana Regen/Level Glyphs, MS Quints. As long as you have the double mana regen, you're fine, Quints and Marks are sorta preference based.

Ghost Cleanse, always, no 'if's, 'and's or 'but's. Your main source of late game survivability is cleanse + ult when the other team tries to pick you off.

Call a solo lane, preferably on the side, grab d-ring and hp pot and then just focus on farming. Competent opposition doesn't die to Kayle, but if you just 100% focus on last hitting, you should be able to farm quickly.

Item build goes like this:
1. d-ring
2. boots
3. GRB + zerkers
4. Stinger
5. Nashor's Tooth
6. Full time triple elixir pump
7. Game dependent items here, Mallet, GA, IE are the best options typically but you'll also have trouble building into anything through your elixir pump.

Farming up step 3 is the entire purpose of your early game. Don't worry about accompishing anything but farming up your GRB and zerkers. Obviously help when you have to, but don't do **** like trying to push down a tower or run off roaming to gank. Once you have those two, either grab Lizard and roam around looking for gank -> gangpushing tower opportunities or tell your team to 4 man push while you solo push other lanes. Basically abuse your lasting power from healing and your incredible mobility and damage prowess to spread your team's pressure all over the map. Ward heavily as you push so you know when to b and when to really pressure the tower.

Skill leveling is largely irrelevant. You want E at level 1, then after that it's all a crap shoot. The first point in all your skills is valuable, but they all have kinda meh scaling with levels. I typically run R > Q > W > E when I'm winning my lane to threaten kills and R > W > E > Q (getting 1 in Q at level 4) when I'm losing the lane so that I can stay out and farm up to my breaking point.

Other random crap:
- Pot priority goes like this: Green > Red > Blue. You really wanna pump all 3 post-Nashors though and sometimes it's alright to delay your Nashor's to start Elixir pump early if your team is losing and needs you to go godmode earlier.
- Don't forget lizard buff. Very few other champs gain as much as you do from Lizard. Be sure to take it whenever you can.
- In pushes, be sure to not waste your E right before you get to the tower. You typically wanna wait on E so that you get the full duration as the tower is distracted with your creeps.
- Let your team know that they don't need to pressure the tower at all, they just need to be ready to fight if the opposing team goes after you. Kayle alone with rip a tower down in nothing flat, so there's no need to force fights, just attrition the tower down and continue pushing.
- Make your ults count. Don't save the idiot who's getting CCed by their whole team for over extending (unless of course you can use it as a bait to turn the fight around, i.e. blitz grabbing someone, you ult as the opposing team blows their CDs on the hooked guy, then your team rushes in and kills them while they're waiting for CDs). Don't save your 100 HP Amumu with his ult on CD. Save it for someone putting out sustained damage (typically yourself) or you're at least 80% sure that they will be able to survive an otherwise impossible situation because of your ult.
-Don't dive super far for people. You frequently do better just letting people blow their ghost to get away while killing their tower than you do extending too far for the champ kill to actually take the tower.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Really? Because after Nashor's Tooth or blue buff I can pretty much have range activated all the time.

I tend to shield people when I see they're about to take massive damage. Then I'll get comments like "save it for people who are about to die." I'm pretty confident that I'm using it correctly (lol Veigar) but the number of people who think it's best to cheat death with it is pretty consistent. The way I see it, you prevent people from taking huge chunks of damage and they keep fighting while the enemy is wasting their skills. If you just use it when someone is about to die then they'll live but they'll also just usually run away. Doesn't help the teamfight at all. All you did was prevent the other team from getting gold and maybe some stacks.

Thoughts on this?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Really? Because after Nashor's Tooth or blue buff I can pretty much have range activated all the time.

I tend to shield people when I see they're about to take massive damage. Then I'll get comments like "save it for people who are about to die." I'm pretty confident that I'm using it correctly (lol Veigar) but the number of people who think it's best to cheat death with it is pretty consistent. The way I see it, you prevent people from taking huge chunks of damage and they keep fighting while the enemy is wasting their skills. If you just use it when someone is about to die then they'll live but they'll also just usually run away. Doesn't help the teamfight at all. All you did was prevent the other team from getting gold and maybe some stacks.

Thoughts on this?
it's situational, but typically you're right. you get the most out of it when the opponents are starting their FF on a squishy, USUALLY THIS IS YOU.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Every champ I've bought so far is getting nerf batted. Next thing you know my champ roster will be ~15 eves.

Vyke

Smash Champion
He's already fully functional... but unless you're good at ganking with him and they have no jungle to **** you early-game, I'm not sure he'd be that swell.

Edit: Solo Q Kayle is not fun or rewarding when teammates STEAL YER FARM. >:O

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I swear, queueing up with 5 feels worse than solo queue for me

Ezreal (me, AD), Soraka, Galio, Xin Zhao, Master Yi (AP built)

Ezreal: 7/3/1
Soraka: 0/3/2 (legit, it's Soraka)
Galio: 1/7/2
Xin Zhao: 1/6/2
Master Yi: 1/5/1

Galio player had never picked him before. Xin Zhao player pretty much mains Xin Zhao, and among other things, died at level 3 to Golem, ended the match at level 12, missed the steal on Baron with Smite, and pretty much didn't help at all. Master Yi... tried, but he was focused down every fight pretty much since Galio died instantly, Xin Zhao never participated, and I, being Ezreal, pressed E and suddenly I couldn't be focused.

It was pretty pathetic. This was in normal games, but is the source of many of my issues with ranked games atm :(

Top Bottom