• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab release options

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Really? Short people are forced to air break if we grab them out of the air?... Looks like we're gonna have fun with this thing ;D

:059:

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i guess it makes sense, but they'd have to be super short, wolf has a bad back and crouches because of it

Choice

Smash Champion
he doesnt slouch when he's grabbed someone but yea they have to be pretty short. i think wario is as tall as it gets. if its at the edge though its all free game. of course the only gr that works at the edge is side b.

Choice

Smash Champion
i dunno i havent actually tested it. i just try to grab people in the air and look at their feet.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
oh well i'm too lazy to test all of them, which is good, it almost looked like the wolfs were working on something. which is not nearly as important as make believe first name crews and the like

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
what about ground release stuff :I
Fsmash or Ftilt Lucas.

Any attack to Ness.

Nothing else is guaranteed, but you can grab release and predict. Like just grab release and charge a dsmash or sit in shield then punish. Etc...

pulse131

Smash Ace
i keep forgetting about this. i think it should be utilized more. i never ever ever see it in vids. this and footstool to gimp in combination with shine, etc.

Judo777

Smash Master
Even tho i dont think wolf can force an air release on anyone its still worth learning because (same with sheik) there are only about 3 chars that GR DACUS works on every time however a few like diddy and sonic can be if they hit up while breaking out of a grab i think. The fact that people have to worry about not hitting up while breaking out makes people break out of grabs much slower allowing more pummles. If u grab someone one time and they are watchhing for DACUS and they arent trying real hard to break out then pummel em like 15 times (with wolf) then the next time u grab em they'll probably try to break out harder then go for the air rlease stuff. That whole 50/50 guessing game is pretty strong tbh.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Even tho i dont think wolf can force an air release on anyone its still worth learning because (same with sheik) there are only about 3 chars that GR DACUS works on every time however a few like diddy and sonic can be if they hit up while breaking out of a grab i think. The fact that people have to worry about not hitting up while breaking out makes people break out of grabs much slower allowing more pummles. If u grab someone one time and they are watchhing for DACUS and they arent trying real hard to break out then pummel em like 15 times (with wolf) then the next time u grab em they'll probably try to break out harder then go for the air rlease stuff. That whole 50/50 guessing game is pretty strong tbh.

the one character he CAN force an airbreak on, he doesn't have any options against

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
In this case there are two, it works the same for Kirby, and we can SideB him out of air release iirc.

Choice

Smash Champion
now seagull has no excuse for ever losing to chu again.

i dont get why it says that everything works on ganon but then it says only 2 things work on ganon.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
I have this topic stickied to my internet explorer since it was first posted :p

Also... Vs Marth it doesnt work 100%, he can Up B out of it, but if u have like low % u can counter his Up B with a better atack

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Dude you're so right, is there a page with ground release stuff?

Edit: I just read page 4, lol poor lucas and ness.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
If you grab Kirby, Jiggs or Olimar when they're airborne they are forced to air release. It's weird but yeah.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Woah, that's great news. Air release vs Olimar and Kirby is a guaranteed side B.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Air release vs Jiggz is a free 5 dollar lunch fair/uair. Kills her at some ridiculous % if your fair is fresh lol, poor Jigglypuff.

Olimar gets hit backwards by sideB, right? I don't find that to be so useful unless you're someplace where you won't SD by going for it (generally pretty rare)

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Most people mash to get out so yeah... its still easy even if u cant force it, just tooling at your opponets controller helps, and if they arnt trying to mash out, you can pummel like 15% then dthrow for a total of 27-30% damage :p

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I was watching Semifer vs Luigi Player just now and he tried to Gr>Fsmash, but Fsmash doesn't work because Diddy goes too far. Dacus works though Semifer lol.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Seagull even if he did DACUS he would have failed i think.... at high percents diddy can DI away the dacus out of GR, only the first hit conects and the second one misses.... i just came from playing my diddy neighbor lol

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
I was watching Semifer vs Luigi Player just now and he tried to Gr>Fsmash, but Fsmash doesn't work because Diddy goes too far. Dacus works though Semifer lol.
Just asked Yika, stutter step Fsmash is guaranteed, I just failed in that case =O

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
That makes sense because when I tested this stuff I never tried stutter stepped Fsmash's.

Ojih~Sama

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ojih-sama
3DS FC
1907-9993-5995
Seagull even if he did DACUS he would have failed i think.... at high percents diddy can DI away the dacus out of GR, only the first hit conects and the second one misses.... i just came from playing my diddy neighbor lol
cant u follow up a DI'ed upsmash with an aerial tho? Whenever i up smash my opponents sometimes they do DI out but i can hit them with a bair uair, maybe fair

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, even if they DI out of the Usmash they are in bad position and you have a good chance for followups.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Nothing huge, but Lylat gives us more options when it's tilting down (you're up a little higher)for Air Release. Certain GR's can turn into SideB spikes. Haven't really tested it thoroughly but I wanted to mention it. Has anyone else tried it?

inb4whogoeslylat.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Nothing huge, but Lylat gives us more options when it's tilting down (you're up a little higher)for Air Release. Certain GR's can turn into SideB spikes. Haven't really tested it thoroughly but I wanted to mention it. Has anyone else tried it?

inb4whogoeslylat.
I don't think the tilting affects Gr combos for Wolf. He always holds people's feet on the ground cause he sucks.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Tilting can affect it. Same with YI. And Lylat is awesome :3

*insert whining about how Wolf can't guarantee an air release on any character*

Top Bottom