• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab release options

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:metaknight:- Dacus or Fsmash
:popo:- Dacus or Side b
:olimar:- Side b
:diddy:- Dacus
:marth:- Side b
:snake:- Side b
:falco:- Fsmash
:pikachu2:- Dacus
:zerosuitsamus:- Nothing
:wario:-Fair, Up b, Bair, Uair, Nair, Side b not sweetspotted, Dair overstage.
:lucario:- Side b
:dedede:- Side b
:toonlink:- Side b
:wolf:- Nothing
:fox:- Nothing
:gw:- Side b (Needs to be frame perfect)
:pit:- Side b
:rob:- Side b
:peach:- Side b
:kirby2:- Side b
:dk2:- Side b
:sonic:- Nothing
:ike:- Side b, dacus
:sheik:- Fsmash
:ness2:- Anything (don't air release Ness anyway)
:yoshi2:- Side b
:luigi2:- Side b
:charizard:- Dacus, Side b
:squirtle:-Fsmash
:ivysaur:- Side b
:lucas:- Fsmash, Dacus, (don't air release Lucas anyway)
:mario2:- Side b
:samus2:-Nothing
:bowser2:-Nothing
:falcon:-Nothing
:link2:- Dacus
:jigglypuff:- Fair, Uair
:zelda:- Side b
:ganondorf:- Fsmash, dacus

Note: Dacus-the timing on this is ridiculous out of a grab release. Also some Side b's depend specifically on the frame. Ike's is frame perfect for example. If you miss the Side b then you didn't do it frame perfect. All things listed work 100% of the time if you do them on the perfect frame. Some work very easy and have many frames. Some work hard and are little frames too work with.

:018:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Fair and uair work on Jigglypuff, I'm pretty sure.

Good to see all the DACUS going on. You're 100% on these, right? I think Squirtle also gets hit by it, but not sure.

:059:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
So DACUS is hard to hit with out of grab release? Hmm... if it's anything like Sheik's DACUS out of grab release, then hopefully it'll be easier for Wolf.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Fair and uair work on Jigglypuff, I'm pretty sure.

Good to see all the DACUS going on. You're 100% on these, right? I think Squirtle also gets hit by it, but not sure.

Yeah, your right Ish. I didn't even think of this. My brother was the jigglypuff just in case. He tried to Di and everything, but fair and uair both hit everytime.

Edit: Tested everything on a real player and success! All things listed work. Some need to be frame perfect like Olimar. Though its cool we can Fsmash Falco. 50-50 matchup now?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Too bad we still can't force air breaks :<

Are you absolutely positive that DACUS doesn't work on Squirtle? I thought that with his weird animation it would be possible :(

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

Are you absolutely positive that DACUS doesn't work on Squirtle? I thought that with his weird animation it would be possible :(

Squirtle releases fast enough for an fsmash, but sooooooooooo fast. He falls so fast out of it so I cannot dacus him. He just powershields it. Maybe its possible. I can't do this frame perfect on squirtle.

:017:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Which way does flash send snake out of air release?
Depends on when you hit him, where you hit him, and where he DI's. I got the side b spike sometimes, but most of the time he just got knocked back away from me.
:017:

5ync

Smash Rookie
To force a air release you just have to hit the oponent like once or twice and then let them strugle out of the grab dont you?

Very interesting data here Seagull....

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm bumping this for relevance to people doing this stuff. I do this **** now in matches. Yeahuhzz.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I've been working on it a bit as well. Had to remap my controller for easier DACUS so I can it off for the lulz. Although, Im also becoming slowly addicted to camping with my balster as well @.@

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I just wish people would be dumb enough to air break :<

And camping is good. Bad, but good... yeah. Still waiting for someone to invent camping while looking cool though :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I realize this is a decent bump, but considering that DACUSing out of an Air Grab Release was discussed, I was wondering if using BDACUS would make this any easier, or if it lets Wolf combo out of Grab Release on more characters. I'm only bumping since BDACUSing was just recently discovered.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Meh it doesn't matter if we can;t force air breaks because the majority of the time they will be trying to break out. Trust me, it's 2010 now and I know you posted this last year. Things have changed lol. They'll be mashing out, and once they do, they'll air release.
We can just keep pummeling, like 5-6 pummels until they finally break out, and BOOM!!

Great research Seagullman...

audauro

Smash Rookie
hahahah i knwo how airbreaks work... i just don't really want to share =O its not compli.cated at all

Destrawr

Smash Cadet
This adds a whole new idea vs MK and Snake now, especially if the MK planks or the snake recovers close...easy KOs.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Also another thing to add about how to force an air release. And any character can do this.
If somebody grabs somebody else with the opponent's body hanging over the ledge, they'll air release every time. It's logical anyway, would would they ground release in thin air lol.
So on the last stock on the opponent, if they are sideB'able, we can end the game off of ones on the sideB list. Wait for kill percent though...like 130-140%. Just grab them with them hanging over the ledge, and wait for them to release.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Also another thing to add about how to force an air release. And any character can do this.
If somebody grabs somebody else with the opponent's body hanging over the ledge, they'll air release every time. It's logical anyway, would would they ground release in thin air lol.
So on the last stock on the opponent, if they are sideB'able, we can end the game off of ones on the sideB list. Wait for kill percent though...like 130-140%. Just grab them with them hanging over the ledge, and wait for them to release.
So that's (I didn't include Wario):

Snake
Ice Climbers
Marth
Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Lucario
Olimar
Pit
Toon Link
Kirby
R.O.B.
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Peach
Charizard
Ivysaur
Ike
Mario
Ness
Yoshi
Zelda

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Oh wow I thought these air release combos were guarenteed.... nevermind then. haha
All the ones listed on the OP are guaranteed. You can't really combo after doing a side b, fsmash, or usmash regularly. You could follow someone after the dacus though if you wanted too.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Is this just natural release? or does it have to be ground/air?
I dont know much about Wolf's grab release stuff, but this is rather interesting.
Does wolf have a frame advantage over other characters like bowser has a 10 frame advantage?
Does wolf normally make people ground or air break. (i havnt really checked when i grab people if their feet are off the ground or not.)

Choice

Smash Champion
if you wanna make sure you air release. look over at someone's controller while you're pummeling. or if the character's feet are off the ground they're gonna air break too. dash grabbing people to the edge of platforms works as well.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolf slouches a ton, so everyone should ground release unless they jump from the struggle or are hanging off the edge. We have the standard 30 frames of lag after a release though, nothing special there :<

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Wolf slouches a ton, so everyone should ground release unless they jump from the struggle or are hanging off the edge. We have the standard 30 frames of lag after a release though, nothing special there :<

WRONG!!!

if we grab olimar out of the air it's a forced jump break!! (too bad we dont have any grab releases on him though)

Choice

Smash Champion
if we grab anyone out of the air thats kinda short its a forced air break. like wario gets forced air break.

just look at their feet!

Choice

Smash Champion
air break on wario = usmash, utilt, fair, dair, bair, nair, uair, shine haha. i dunno just **** him if he air breaks.

Top Bottom