• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Gimping (All Possible Characters & Vid)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm sure most of you know about this already, but lets just make sure you know who all this can be used against. Maybe more people than you thought. I have finished! there are 16 total characters you can do this to and 4 others who are debatle (or can be done under special conditions so read further). Big thanks to Joker490Frozen for helping out and the Ness boards for letting me post it!

Though many characters can use this, I think it's particularly helpful for Ness. Grab Gimping (for those who don't know) is when a particular character uses their Up+B (or other things as I'll explain) and is grabbed as they're returning to the stage. All their opponent has to do is hold them until they can get away, and they won't be able to use Up+B again (or whatever).

Keep 2 things in mind though...

1.) THESE ARE ONLY TESTED ON FINAL DESTINATION. GIMP GRABBING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE ON DIFFERENT STAGES, SUCH AS ONES WHERE THERE IS A WALL TO WALL CLING, ETC. I'LL LOOK INTO THIS MORE LATER.

2.)
If the character doesn't go into helpless mode after their up-b you can do this.
^ THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW ^

Pretty nice though, isn't it? Lets discuss who can be "grab gimped":

First, an example (the Sonic tries it a couple times, but at 2:01 he does a grab gimp, it's very quick here): "Grab Gimp" Video

NESS AND HIS GRAB GIMPING VIDEO, BY JOKER490FROZEN AND YINK

==========

+ - + - +GRAB GIMPABLE CHARACTERS+ - + - +​

+ Snake: Poor Snake. If you play a Snake that isn't smart enough to stay away from the edge of the stage, you can grab him as he's using Up+B. Be aware that Snake can however use Down+B to help him recover and use Up+B again. Edge Hog to help. (Also on a side note, Snake has SUPER ARMOR but only up to 7%. If the hit does more than that he has knock-back. This is just a head's up).

+ Game and Watch: Sweet victory. We all know that this match-up is terrible, it's around 70-30. However, Game and Watch's Up+B is also ripe for using another grab gimp! Unlike Snake, he has no other way to get back then on his own.

+ Sonic: You're too slow Sonic. His spring Up+B like the others can be grab gimped. Just do what was said above in the Yellow text and you will be fine.

+ Yoshi: This one is a bit tricky. You don't need to worry about Yoshi's Up+B too much. Try to grab him when he has used his second jump. Remember, YOSHI HAS SUPER ARMOR IN HIS SECOND JUMP (If you don't know what that is, it's when you can be hit, take damage but have no knock-back. I think Yoshi's Super Armor lasts while he's still doing his little kicks in the air, but can also be canceled with an attack, somewhat like Ness). When Yoshi is released, he is released too far away, and even his Up+B can't save him.

+ Pit: Ah yes. Pit can fly and use his Wings of Icarus (Up+B) to return to the stage. It is very hard to do this on a Pit. For starters as many of you know, if you hit Pit while he's using Up+B, he loses it and falls. Serious Pit mains will either fly or glide to avoid using Up+B. Though...if they do use Up+B or fly under a stage and then use Up+B and you're close enough to the ledge this can work. There's no way for him to come back. You are probably safer as Ness and/or Lucas just using PKT but still, like I said, it works.

+ Diddy: This is even riskier than Yoshi's or Pit's. This will ONLY work if the Diddy uses Side+B and Diddy KICKS. If Diddy doesn't kick, he will just fall and then use Up+B. Use this one with caution.

+ Wolf: I bet a lot of you might think, "Wait, how can this be possible?". The only way this is possible is to grab release and then to edge hog. Wolf loses his Up+B but can still use Side+B. You will need good timing for it or else his Side+B will hit you. It works though.

+ Fox: Fox is exactly the same as Wolf for this trick, do the same thing you did for him. Grab release then edge hog!

+ Falco: All three of the Starfox characters are the same for this, just do what you did for the previous two. (First their Landmasters, now THIS)

+ Link: Link has pretty bad recovery already, but he's also got a grab gimp against him too. Not only can you grab gimp but he falls back and away far enough that he cannot even use his Clawshot. How unfortunate. At least then you don't have to edge hog right?

+ Ness: This is painful. You can do it to other Ness players too. We even have a video of Joker using grab super armor to CATCH Ness doing PK Thunder (Up+B) into him. Crazy I know. You're best off letting Ness try to recover with Up+B and catch him while free falling. You can try to edge hog this but you'd be predicting when the Ness is going to use Up+B and that's VERY risky. If you're Ness doing this to another, once that happens just suck the Up+B up with PSI Magnet (Down+B). That simple.

+ Lucas: Lucas' is very similar to Ness'. It's much harder to catch him in his PK Thunder (Up+B) though, so waiting for free fall is better. Lucas' is also harder to pull off. Though you may successfully grab him and release him, edge hogging is risky. You'd once again have to try to predict the Up+B and not only that, he can use the Rope Snake to come back as well. Still, you can pull it off.

+ Charizard: Believe it or not, if you catch Charizard's Up+B he can do it again, but if you edge hog it's still a grab gimp. Who does this sound like? It's just the same as all those Starfox characters and a couple others. It's debatable that he is the only Pokemon from the Pokemon Trainer that works because Squirtle can make it back and Ivysaur has an auto sweet spot.

+ Ike: Ike's is rather interesting. Come at this from the point of view of an Ike user using a Side+B. If they used Aether (Up+B) it spins up and hits you, making it impossible for you to grab (unless the Ike player is backwards, that's the only way it can work). BUT, if they use Side+B you can catch them, release and then Ike is too far away to do an Up+B and too low for Side+B. Even if he did try Side+B you could just edge hog it. It's very hard to grab gimp an Ike, but it's still do-able.

+ Lucario: -Grab Gimp undergoing tests-

+ - + - +DEBATABLE CHARACTERS+ - + - +​

+ Zero Suit Samus: To be totally honest, it's kind of a waste of time to use a grab gimp on ZSS. If she uses Down+B and doesn't make it back then she has to use Up+B, but you're safer off just edge hogging. You technically can do it then time an edge hog right, but I'd say just edge hog from the start.

+ Ivysaur: Ivysaur is also better off just being edge hogged. You can do the gimp but he has an auto sweet spot so it's a bit harder, and more awkward.

+ Olimar: Once again, he has an auto sweet spot like the last two so just follow what you'd do for them.

+ ROB: ROB's is really odd. You can do it but it's under a very weird circumstance. The ONLY time this can work is when ROB has finished his Up+B and is in his "RUNNING OUT OF GAS" phase. That is truely the only time you can do it, other wise he can get his Up+B back.

+ - + - +NON-GIMPABLE CHARACTERS+ - + - +​

+ Mario
+ Luigi
+ Peach
+ Bowser (hard to even grab him, you'd have to perfect shield it)
+ DK (same as Bowser)
+ Wario
+ Falcon
+ Zelda
+ Toon Link
+ Shiek
+ Ganon
+ Kirby
+ MK
+ DDD
+ Samus
+ Pikachu
+ Jigglypuff
+ Squirtle
+ Marth
+ Ice Climbers

**NOTE: If you wish to know WHY these don't work, I can tell you, but I didn't think it was particularly needed. Maybe I'll add some notes onto the characters later.

==========​

Well there you have it. Oh and one more thing, when you grab you have Super Armor. Here's an example: Grab "Super Armor" Video - See how Wario could still grab but took damage? That's the Grab Super Armor.

Here's also a bonus example of a Grab Release Gimp: "Grab Release Gimp" Video - The Pikachu was still able to gimp even after grabbing Snake 3 times after he used his Up+B. That is the Grab Release Gimp.

Hope this was helpful and if there's anything I can add to it, tell me. Yink out.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
yea grab gimping works, I do it sometimes in melee too.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
yea grab gimping works, I do it sometimes in melee too.
I'm not so sure how much you can do it in Melee, but from what I have so far thanks to Joker this works on 11 characters out of the 21 we have tried so far. That's a lot more than I myself knew. I mainly knew Sonic, Snake and GaW. I had no idea you could do it to so many others. I have yet to put more of them up yet, and Joker will be getting videos of each one.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
UPDATED! :) I have many more characters on there now. It looks like this works on 16 different characters! That's a LOT. Lucario's is hard to explain so I'll wait until I get the videos up.

@Smash: I am...HONOURED! *hugs* :laugh:

@Kassandra: Thank you! :D

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
ok so this is no longer about the opponent losing their upB and not being able to recover

its about putting the opponent into a bad recovery position....but for many of these you dpn't need to grab them out of there upB....just grab them at the ledge and pummel until release and then edgeguard

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
ok so this is no longer about the opponent losing their upB and not being able to recover

its about putting the opponent into a bad recovery position....but for many of these you dpn't need to grab them out of there upB....just grab them at the ledge and pummel until release and then edgeguard
It still counts as a grab gimp I believe the way I've done it. I suppose this can be made different for any person, but if you do these the way I've explained yes you are in a bad recovery position but it was because of a grab release, resulting in a grab gimp.

I also understand you don't just have to grab, but I think it's a great idea seeing as how these characters I've listed lose many of their ways to recover effectively. I don't know, I was trying to be helpful but I definitely see what you mean Simna!

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Good luck trying to get G&W with this x3
I actually have never been grab gimped ever, despite it being known that G&W is similar to Snake in getting screwed when grabbed during/after their upB since near Brawl's release.

2gud

Uffe

Smash Hero
Is the video of all the grabs up yet or no? This topic boomed pretty quickly. I'm kind of wondering how it works on Ness and Lucas, though. I'd think once they're grab released, they could use their PKT2 again.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Good luck trying to get G&W with this x3
I actually have never been grab gimped ever, despite it being known that G&W is similar to Snake in getting screwed when grabbed during/after their upB since near Brawl's release.

2gud
I've done it twice but that's it.

Also I'm going to get the videos up today. If I'm correct it'll be two videos, one showing easy grab gimps the oher showing the harder ones. I'm happy I helped out somewhat.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Is the video of all the grabs up yet or no? This topic boomed pretty quickly. I'm kind of wondering how it works on Ness and Lucas, though. I'd think once they're grab released, they could use their PKT2 again.
Yeah, this was the only part that had me confused, specifically Lucas. I don't see how he wouldn't make it back to the stage. He'd lose his 2nd jump, so no zap jump--that I understand. But I'd think rope snake/PKT2 would still be usable, the latter from a safe distance away...

Good stuff, I'd been wondering about ROB. Can't wait to see what turns up with Lucario.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
The video is up. There's a slight spelling error. "Jump" was spelled incorrectly but I really have to thanks to Joker490Frozen, seeing as I don't have a copy of Brawl right now. -_-;

Also, yes, he did catch Ness using PKT2. I still think that's crazy. Also I'm sure most of you will go, "Well a lot of these are common sense Yink and there's other alternatives". It's true they are, I just wanted to something helpful for the boards because I love Ness so much <3 .

EDIT: Whoops, we forgot Diddy. -_- Well, I think the description is enough right?

From this edit I'd also like to say that while talking to Simna he made a VERY good point. I am just showing examples of how to Grab Gimp or Grab Release to Gimp. I am NOT teaching you how to recover from these or anything else. They are just EXAMPLES.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Good watch.

That's really odd, though. I wonder what it is about Charizard and Lucario that allows them to keep their jumps... I thought you usually lose them after being air released.

Guess I'd better start air releasing near the edge more often, this is pretty good against a few characters.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yayz! Ness info.
From the looks of it, you main King DeDeDe, correct? You do know that any character in the game can do this, right? :) It only shows Ness doing it because our friend Yink decided to let us know. Which is great.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well sometimes people will try to hit the opponent with their Up B or Side B.
Falco players(example) tend to get back onto the stage with Side B.
Nice work on that video, Joker. I gave it five stars and favorited it. I like your sig, too. :laugh:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
From the looks of it, you main King DeDeDe, correct? You do know that any character in the game can do this, right? :) It only shows Ness doing it because our friend Yink decided to let us know. Which is great.
Oh BokoLove knows, he's my friend too haha.

Thank you Uffe, and Joker. To add onto what Joker said, it is an AT because he's right, lots of people rely on side B to get back and not only that, people DO make mistakes.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I just pulled thi off on a Falco today. Very useful on him and Fox (maybe Wol 2) when you think about it.

Situation: He's recovering from a far distance, right in range to Phantasm back. You are teetering on the edge. He has 3 options. They are...

1. Phantasm right to the ledge and sweetspot. You simply edgehog with good timing and he's done.
2. Phantasm into you and onstage. This is tricky of course, but grab him and he's done.
3. Phantasm over you and onto the stage. This is easy to deal with, a quick turnaround to grab and btrow should work. An fsmash if you're fast enough.

And we all know what happens to a Falco crazy enough to Fire Bird in this situation. Spikity spike spike :3

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hehe, I'm glad this was helpful to you EB360.

Looks like it's sort of paying off!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This thing is more useful to me than I originally thought it would be. Got a Link Ike Sonic and Fox today as well. It's all in the timing of the grab.

One thing to mention is that they do NOT have to use their recovery special for you to initiate this. That's just one situation. If they have used their double jump and are by the edge, you can still do this.

A situation in which this may occur is ledgehops. They drop off the, DJ back on wile airdodging or using an aerial. I grabbed someone (Ike) out of this and still got my gimp. Any situation in which their double jump ends near an edge works too. Like i they double jump on stage then try to fall to the edge for safety, you can grab and gimp.

Some characters use their UpB moves onstage as attacks like for an out of shield option. Marth, Luigi, Samus, and MK do this. People often try to land on the edge to cancel lag, so in theory, you could grab them out of this and gimp them also,but ufortunately, almost none of the characters this gimp works on would use their UpB offensively on stage then cancel lag with the edge. The only people on the list that may come close are Ness and Lucas.

Uffe

Smash Hero
How did you ever get Ike? I've been trying that all day today. Surprisingly enough I've been fighting some Ike's in some doubles. But there was nobody to bother me when I made the attempt.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Excuse me, but according to my experience it is possible for Ike to make it back, ofcourse we're not going to use Quick Draw to get back after you release us, and ofcourse we're not going to immediatly Aether when released (which some other dumb video stated). We can DI back towards the stage and Aether, but you can always try to edgehog that when Hugging perfectly, and it's not easy.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Excuse me, but according to my experience it is possible for Ike to make it back, ofcourse we're not going to use Quick Draw to get back after you release us, and ofcourse we're not going to immediatly Aether when released (which some other dumb video stated). We can DI back towards the stage and Aether, but you can always try to edgehog that when Hugging perfectly, and it's not easy.
Calm down, we're just showing you can grab release Ike. I know it's difficult to grab gimp Ikes but you can still do it. I nowhere stated that you could do this to people who are very good. Though it is STILL possible to do, I never stated it works all the time. I believe I also stated for many edgehogging was needed.

Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll even add that to the first page.

Top Bottom