• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
hey sheiks,

i'm a snake main who's just picked up sheik for a bit of fun, and wanted to ask a few questions.

i'm really stuck with the dacus. i can bdacus pretty well, particularly out of a spotdodge or landing nair, but doing it out of a grab release against mk seems to miss the sweetspot. this means i need to learn the real dacus... but i cant seem to get it! i'd prefer not to change controls if possible, although i could change 'L' to attack if completely necessary... any tips?

also, aside from cross, does anyone else play sheik at high level? can't say i'm familiar with any other famous sheiks... i'd like to watch some good videos to get an idea of how certain matchups are played.

thanks everyone!

Dcold

Smash Lord
Just sit down and practice Dacusing for a good hour to an hour and a half and get the timing down. Do it slowly at first just getting your hands used to the movement and making sure you're pressing the buttons in the right order. Then get faster and faster. I used to use R for attack all the time, but since I've gotten a new controller I use it the old fashioned way and I can still pull it off fine.

For Sheiks really just look at the Top 5 list and add Mars, Earth, Daiki, and all of the various aliases that Ankoku goes by. Only ones I can think of off of the top of my head that would have a decent amount of vids up to look at, barring Judo, he's like Waldo.

Attila_

BRoomer
why is the dacus so hard without changing controls? i don't quite understand. i should be able to press c-stick down and up/z really close together, right? how does changing another button to attack make this faster?

also, where are the top sheiks listed?

Dcold

Smash Lord
Sheik's dacus can't be done with Z as far as I know, use A instead. And if Z can be used, the window much be extremely small. Use A instead, and just adjust your hand a little. It's just easier since you actually need a button for attack for it to work, and using A really isn't the best for some people. Just takes getting used to. But yeah, don't use Z. If you don't want to use A, change whichever trigger button you don't use as much to attack and you'll be fine. Easiest ways imo.

Krystedez's top 5 list, shouldn't be hard to find really.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I've always felt like sheik isn't hindered much by stage. You don't need huge amounts of space in my opinion to be effective.

I think sheik perfers flat stages because you can use needles more often and more effectively. Platforms are always helpful and battlefield has the best plats heights.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Just sit down and practice Dacusing for a good hour to an hour and a half and get the timing down. Do it slowly at first just getting your hands used to the movement and making sure you're pressing the buttons in the right order. Then get faster and faster. I used to use R for attack all the time, but since I've gotten a new controller I use it the old fashioned way and I can still pull it off fine.

For Sheiks really just look at the Top 5 list and add Mars, Earth, Daiki, and all of the various aliases that Ankoku goes by. Only ones I can think of off of the top of my head that would have a decent amount of vids up to look at, barring Judo, he's like Waldo.
LOL seriously. When i first went to look up judo's vids since the only people i use to watch were earth/ed and saw he had like SO little and almost ALL OF THEM are vs olimar i just chuckled.

<3 how do you think yoshi's is for sheik?

I'd imagine the central platform forcing specific types of approaches would be very beneficial to sheik. But i'm not sure how the blast zones/ledges affect sheik if at all.

Attila_

BRoomer
is there an actual reason why z is inferior?

i only say this because i use '"l to jump oos. so i don't have any spare triggers...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I used to think yoshi was cake because I'd ALWAYS beat polt. I'd always mess around with him about it.

Yoshi has a lot of neat set ups. Versus a good yoshi errors can lead to huge damage, yoshi damage out put is just crazy. He can kill pretty low too right?

What you want to do with yoshi is force him to approach since his approach options are very lack luster, and eggs versus needles you'll always win. You can ftilt lock him pretty well but you need to know your percents to do it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Actually was referring to Yoshi's island brawl since we were on the topic of stages :p

XD

Always open to receiving mu data though :laugh:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I believe, I could be wrong, that with the z input you are always going to grab instead of doing teh dacus. in brawl that input is actually sheild + attack there is no true grab button and with dash attack the move is just to short.

I can arange your fingers differently and just hit A, thats what I do when I'm too lazy to change controls (I use the C stick with my thumb, and use my index finger to hit A) you can also change your controls so that one of the other face buttons is attack if you shoulders are set to jump to make that reach a little more natural.

Either way for the sake of timing do SOMETHINg that is comfortable so you understand the timing once you have that figure out a control set up that works for you. you are going to have to figure out some way to get that dacus into you game if you want to be a serious sheik. (P.S. I hardly ever dacus, but in some match ups it is really important)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yoshi's is... alright?

you can stick to the walls... sometimes.

My issues are these on the left side you can't slide up the wall with your upB you'll stop where ever you hit it. landing on stage, on the lip out of your upB will make you fall off the stage in your helpless animation. And using aerials will funk up you spacing with the slopes you always slide down hill good when you are fighting some one uphill terrible otherwise.

bar that though... the stage isn't horrible. the way the stage is set up it makes it that much harder for character like snake and sheik to duck under those high needles if you have the middle or edges of the stage. the plat hight bodes well to SH aerials and sometimes utilt and usmash as well. Verus MK you have a nice GR usmash window if you are in the center of the stage. The inclines aren't as sharp that they really mess up the power of Ftilt in most match ups.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I use to hate it cuz i'd always get it when i went pit whenever we did a smashfest(since we just did random stage out of the 5) i'd ALWAYS get yoshi's. Made me get good at the stage with pit. Now i cp ppl there as pit(mu dependent though) :laugh:

was always one of my favorites with snake.

Will experiment w/it w/sheik for my own sake :)

Plan on getting at least a little bit of material of my sheik this weekend.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I remember you use to really like norfair for sheik. Could you give an outline on why?
Impossible to edgeguard her. Pick a ledge, any ledge.

Also the ceiling is deceptively small.

Good for needle camping.

Terrible stage in general though.

On the subject of DACUS, it has something to do with how Z is a combined input of attack + shield, and the input time frame is just short of the combined input.

Top 5 list, while a good source, doesn't take into account international sheiks, some of which are really beastly. Daiki, Earth (although he mostly does pit now), and Cross are some really good ones. BluB (best Falco v. Sheik matches imo) and Edu are good European Sheiks, Izaw is situational but fun to watch.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Don't you mean Light? Not Blub.

@ Aisight I bought the Encore USB Video Grabber and everytime I record with it the video comes out unwatchable, I'll upload a video to show you what happens. Any idea what could be causing it? :X

Video here

Dcold

Smash Lord
D: And damn you answered that fast lmao. Welp, back to trying to figure out what this problem is :X This only happens in VirtualDub. I would use Pinnacle but it's such a hassle because I have to do the videos 1 at a time, which takes forever. :/

Dcold

Smash Lord
It seems like it's a problem with my VirtualDub aisight, after I even attempt to record a video, when I press ESC it freezes permanently. That hasn't happened for me before, and I guess it's just a problem with VirtualDub itself. So confused/annoyed now.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Its it legal down there again? I should be...

Norfair's plats are a great height (BF height) and sheik has great vertical poke. You can force approaches on your own terms with needles and you ar epretty much impossible to edge gaurd. Sheik excels in that close range game space and Norfair really caters to that.

Attila_

BRoomer
You guys were right, the dacus isn't that hard. I'm clawing to do it ATM, and can't find a smooth way to move my hand over. Works nicely for the grab release on mk though.

Aside from wario, does sheik have any more grab release shenanigans?

:phone:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
DACUS took me forever to get and even then I was only 80% consistent at my best. Today, it's probably 40% or lower :(

Sheik has grab release DACUS on a bunch of characters like Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Squirtle and Charizard off the top of my head!

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Is there a list somewhere?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249620

I personally set Z to attack for DACUS and X to Grab. I use R for shielding and L for jumping as a couple of characters and usually for OoS stuff, so I couldn't set a trigger to it.
Although if I wanna be absolutely sure I pull it off, I'll claw.

Also, I've got a question. Is Project Know It All ever going to be completed? Most of what it's missing is in the moveset section, so it shouldn't be that hard to finish.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ironically half of the chars that have a guaranteed air release -> DACUS on are some of sheik's worst MUs (Pikachu, ICs, MK) although the latter is up for debate.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik vs MK isn't especially fun (though I'm weird and find matchups like Marth vs MK and Peach vs MK fun), but it's nowhere close to a lopsided matchup.

Top Bottom