• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Secondarys For Meta Knight Mains

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Alright, so I remember a thread that was made a while ago asking who people's secondarys were; but now that the metagame has since developed I am curious to see what characters people would say are good secondarys for MK mains.

This is so that people who are unsure about a secondary or dont have one can get some good opinions and advice.

I personally say DDD (my secondary), considering he excels in MK's harder matchups (DK and Snake).

Discuss

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think there's a "good" second. I've used Meta Knight since I bought the game the night of the release. Soon after, I figured out how to use Olimar, and I love using him. And then I found out much fun R.O.B. is to play with. So I'd say those two are my "seconds," although I can play Olimar at roughly the same level as my Meta Knight.

However, if you're playing Meta Knight because he's good in tourneys, then your second should probably be whoever you have the most fun playing as.

If you're really looking strictly at tourney stuff, then I suggest R.O.B. or Wario. Both are pretty hard to play properly, though. Well, I know R.O.B. is, and I have no clue whatsoever about Wario except that my brother can put up a good match against my MK without really knowing how to use Wario particularly well (he's primarily a Wolf player)

Rhykune

Smash Cadet
I use Olimar as my secondary, but I also use DeDeDe, Game and Watch and DK sometimes. Olimar can take care of both of Meta Knights bad match ups. DeDeDe makes one of them useless, Game and Watch beats DK and is neutral to Snake and DK beats MK mirror matches and Snake. I mainly use Metaknight and Olimar though.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'm trying to get as good with as many characters as possible (thanks for the inspiration, Azen!), but DK is almost like my second main.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
lol i am just learning mk and so far my "2nd" is marth (my old main) but i figured that marth and mk would make a deadly combo. but knowing that snake has the advantage over mk and marth im reconsidering. lol snake is over played n broken >_<

Master Raven

Smash Master
Snake and MK are about even. I used to have lots of troubles with Snake, but I've improved quite a bit since then and I can give even above-average Snakes a good fight when I'm using MK.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Snake, Falco, and Pit. I guess the varied playstyle just worked out. And it's always good to have a decent counterpick for a tourney.

waks

Smash Journeyman
I'd probably say ROB, since the most worse match up MK can get is vs Snake, and ROB gives off a pretty good match up against him.

Amide

Smash Lord
Marth, G&W, and DK for me. DK especially, picks up on MK's weaknesses.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Well....

If you wanted to be bombed on for being a tier *****...
The most logical choice would be Snake.
He's just as broken as MK if not more.
Has a different type of playing style.
Can pretty much handle all other matchups MK can't. (Which is very few.)
Compliments him very well..

Nice choices i feel would be a solid Falco, Marth, or Rob.

Falco and Rob can play a strong projectile game and can compliment MK well enough with a different style to be a good secondary.
Marth has a similar style in terms of approaching and defense and what-not, but can outprioritize other characters in ways MK can't.

Just my 2 cents for the people.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Well....

If you wanted to be bombed on for being a tier *****...
The most logical choice would be Snake.
He's just as broken as MK if not more.
Has a different type of playing style.
Can pretty much handle all other matchups MK can't. (Which is very few.)
Compliments him very well..

Nice choices i feel would be a solid Falco, Marth, or Rob.

Falco and Rob can play a strong projectile game and can compliment MK well enough with a different style to be a good secondary.
Marth has a similar style in terms of approaching and defense and what-not, but can outprioritize other characters in ways MK can't.

Just my 2 cents for the people.
I suddenly feel like a tier *****.....oh well, I'd simply consider it more along the lines of not leaving yourself vulnerable. Meh...bombs away I suppose.

Both Snake & MK seem to have some degree of difficulty when it comes to DK however.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lolz doesnt bother me any. Just the rest of the community throws ***** fits over it. It really is probably the most logical choice and gives you by far the best chances you can have.

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Kirby, Falco, D3, and TL are the characters I play with besides MK. They all work out pretty well for me. But, from a tourney/matchup point of view I'll explain all except Kirby.

Falco: Compliments MK in that he has a solid projectile spam game. Different playstyle, but I'm not certain if he covers any of MK's weak matchups.

King Dedede: Ok, D3 covers 2 of MK's worse match ups imo. The infinate chain grab is DK's worse nightmare, and the normal chaingrab helps against Snake. Also, D3 is heavy, so that helps counter how retardly hard it is to kill Snake.

Toon Link: TL is useful for many of the same reasons as Falco are. He has many projectiles, especially the highly spamable arrows. Toon Link is harder to master, but once you get good with him, he is worthwhile (Kizzu, Santi...).

I really only play Kirby for fun, not so much for competition, and I dont see him as a functionalble second for MK. This just my 2 cents, Im not pro or anything, but I have a decent grasp of competitive Smash, or so I would like to think.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Kirby, Falco, D3, and TL are the characters I play with besides MK. They all work out pretty well for me. But, from a tourney/matchup point of view I'll explain all except Kirby.

Falco: Compliments MK in that he has a solid projectile spam game. Different playstyle, but I'm not certain if he covers any of MK's weak matchups.

King Dedede: Ok, D3 covers 2 of MK's worse match ups imo. The infinate chain grab is DK's worse nightmare, and the normal chaingrab helps against Snake. Also, D3 is heavy, so that helps counter how retardly hard it is to kill Snake.

Toon Link: TL is useful for many of the same reasons as Falco are. He has many projectiles, especially the highly spamable arrows. Toon Link is harder to master, but once you get good with him, he is worthwhile (Kizzu, Santi...).

I really only play Kirby for fun, not so much for competition, and I dont see him as a functionalble second for MK. This just my 2 cents, Im not pro or anything, but I have a decent grasp of competitive Smash, or so I would like to think.
Haha santi still doesn't see his TL as good enough. He's starting to play MK more....

Santi

Smash Lord
Haha santi still doesn't see his TL as good enough. He's starting to play MK more....
Fk mk.
I wont go to the dark side... must stick with Toon and Zard......
Bring balance to the game....

*hears angry metaknights*

*runs from the Tornados*

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
I play like.....every character, but as for my BUSINESS characters, Pika is my secondary to MK. It used to be snake, but I realized MK can do everything better as my main and Snake doesn't really help in the harder matchups for MK. And really, the only matchup that gives me trouble is snake, so I decided to say screw it and get really good with pika so I could switch to him when I went against a good snake. Pika also helps vs those defensive styled people who like to stand back and react to what you do. So basically:

Meta = ***** other rushdown styles and anyone that I can approach with ease

Pika = Counter to defensive styles that can give meta trouble.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Wow, this got bumped?

Anyway, I decided to change my secondary to Dedede. He has a HELL of an easier time against DK.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I've been going through secondaries for a while now, and I think I'm going to choose Falco. I don't have trouble with DKs in general, but my playstyle is horrible against Snake players. Falco works pretty well against snake, so I'll probably use him. I've tried Kirby but he's just like a different style of MK.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
ive found dedede be a great secondary to mk mains, my mk has troubles with robs dks and snakes, all of which dedede can chaingrab and easily gimp. well maybe you cant gimp rob that well :) but imo he's the best secondary for mk

DFEAR

Smash Hero
use DK since i love heavy characters and dk just happened to be one the best heavies next to ddd and snake ^^

Phigo

Smash Cadet
Link and Ganondorf...
maybe there are better ones, but i like them and they are pretty useful ;D

OverLade

Smash Hero
Lolz....

D3 is a **** secondary. Falco too. ^.^
I like this guy. :D

Falco, and D3 both do well against snake. I tried fox for a while, but his inability to camp against snake doesn't work well vs. Offensive snakes and his light weight means he gets ***** quick. I sub kirby but only because he's fun to use. I recommend learning to use D3, Falco, ROB, and DK and seeing which one works the best for you against snake.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yess they both **** face on snake. :)
And they both have alot of good matchups as well. Different pick of style as well.

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
as secondaries I have snake and DK, but I'm gonna learn to use falco since he was my main in melee and he seems as if he has a lot of potential hehe

Top Bottom