• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Good job Mew2King (Jason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
This just disgusts me with Brawl and the mindset as a whole even further.

No matter what, I stand by what I said: If you can't beat somebody without timing them out, especially when using the best character in the game, they are better than you and you didn't do anything but cheat them.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
You can either get sellout friends with money that you won and be an ***, or you can be all like "ggs" if you lose and make real bros.

Hmmm.
thats not a good mindset. people play games to win, people play for fun, people play to meet friends. just because a person plays to win dosent mean they should lose a friend over it. Ally said he did not train for MLG. m2k did. in brawl u have to know when it is smart to approach. Snake is one of the hardest chars to approach, and mk is a light *** character. everyone that plays brawl competitive should already understand that they could possibly be camped, timed out, or gayed in any way. it come with the territory, its players with skill and knowledge of the game, that can overcome those obstacles. Brawl is a defensive game. some people still dont realize that.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
thats not a good mindset. people play games to win, people play for fun, people play to have friends. just because a person plays to win dosent mean they should lose a friend over it. Ally said he did not train for MLG. m2k did. in brawl u have to know when it is smart to approach. Snake is one of the hardest chars to approach, and mk is a light *** character. everyone that plays brawl competitive should already understand that they could possibly be camped, timed out, or gayed in any way. it come with the territory, its players with skill and knowledge of the game, that can overcome those obsticals. Brawl is a defensive game. some people still dont realize that.
This is a really good post, Villain.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Wait, how did this go from Congrabs Jason to Brawl = Campy?
its not

great job m2k for being the first ever brawl MLG Champion... i guess this makes him the Ken of brawl. (i actually do not know who was the first to win MLG melee)

Geddan

Smash Ace
its a game kids

friendship is more important, because ultimately thats all your gonna have when the match is over and done. You can read up on the frame data, place well, but it'll all mean absolutely nothing if you dont have people surrounding you that really love you for who you are and your talents.
this is absolute truth

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Congrats M2K and Ally! It's good to see you guys aren't holding any grudges :D

its a game kids

friendship is more important, because ultimately thats all your gonna have when the match is over and done. You can read up on the frame data, place well, but it'll all mean absolutely nothing if you dont have people surrounding you that really love you for who you are and your talents.
If this was facebook, I'd click the like button.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Or you could have $$$ when the match is over and done.
i get a paycheck every month :)

Congrats M2K and Ally! It's good to see you guys aren't holding any grudges :D

If this was facebook, I'd click the like button.
swf has friend buttons too you just gotta look for'em

does that mean you play wario too?
yea, im one of those people that can never really get mad at wario...because hes so hilarious. Everytime one farts on me i lol pretty hard and say, "wow thats pretty mean wario, you know that'll take weeks to air out of my clothes". Boozer is boozer and he is awesome. Ganon is our great king of darkness[all hail nidokings and dair spikes], and Wolf is a horrible jerk with a good move set, so whats not to love about that?

And welp DDD is like the horrible jerk-edness of Wario/Wolf, combined with the ego of Ganon, and the fat rudeness of Bowser. But..hes also adorable

you cant say no to this face

ontopic; gl at MLG columbus m2k/ally hope to see you there ****** [and hopefully not me!!]

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Aww, you're warming my little heart Elliot :p

<4

Also, to both you and Jason, just remember how much fun we were having in the Cali room, when people were saying stupid stuff and everything was retardedly funny.

Jason, you have to talk to me soon, because I remember there was something STUPIDLY that I think ADHD said, but I can't remember.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
Congrats you two! Friendship is way more important than a game (even if it is worth $1000s). I'm glad you realized that. Personally, I was hoping M2K would win, but still Ally, second place is nothing to be ashamed of; especially against M2K. Again, congratulations to both of you!

(LOL at "Photoshop is acceptable")

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Congrats Jason! And Ally, you kicked some major butt too, so great job! And you be a good person! ^__^

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
so good to see money didint corrupt . get em next time ally think of ways to win. ima step it up too

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Everyone loves Ally vs M2K, but looks like Ally+M2K is even more liked by people xD

¿Qué?

Smash Champion

No matter what, I stand by what I said: If you can't beat somebody without timing them out, especially when using the best character in the game, they are better than you and you didn't do anything but cheat them.
M2K won on tornament standards. So in actuality, M2k won fair and square. He definatly didn't cheat him. If Ally was good enough during that fight, he would have beat him during the time limit. If you can't beat someone that's camping or running then what kind of a player does it make you?

No offence to you Ally. I've read MANY things about you on Youtube posts on how you can be arrogant and rude, but this post alone dispels all those sayings. Thanks for being a good sport.

(One day, I'll take on all those Snake and Meta-Knights with Peach AND WIN.)

Future Peach Pro
-PeachGuard

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
M2K won on tornament standards. So in actuality, M2k won fair and square. He definatly didn't cheat him. If Ally was good enough during that fight, he would have beat him during the time limit. If you can't beat someone that's camping or running then what kind of a player does it make you?

No offence to you Ally. I've read MANY things about you on Youtube posts on how you can be arrogant and rude, but this post alone dispels all those sayings. Thanks for being a good sport.

(One day, I'll take on all those Snake and Meta-Knights with Peach AND WIN.)

Future Peach Pro
-PeachGuard
cocky. lolollolol heh whatever you say F.P.P you know your stuff.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Opinion of community maturity +20.

Way to man up Ally, good ****.

Maybe this is just the Melee player in me saying this but...

if you can't beat somebody without timing them out, you can't beat them.
I so wanna time you out right now, I feel the need to imitate pink shinobi.

Play to win, I had to get the lead at some point, if you can't beat my camping, you deserve to lose.

That, and offensive MK is not the best character in the game, it's his amazing defensive play that pushes him over the top.

Browny

Smash Hater
You miss the point adum, you may win the match but you most certainly did not beat the other player in a fighting game. Its as deserving of praise as winning a rock paper scissors match is imo :p

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You miss the point adum, you may win the match but you most certainly did not beat the other player in a fighting game. Its as deserving of praise as winning a rock paper scissors match is imo :p

Rock Paper Scissors is completely about reading, consistently winning matches of it is completely praiseworthy, especially considering it's a skill we praise in Brawl and melee.

Regardless, you're wrong, defensive play is just as prevalent and important in other fighting games, no tournament SF player gonna say that you didn't really win the match in Third Strike if it went to time.

If you wanna compare it to real fighting, then frankly patience is even MORE important in actual fights and could easily save your life.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
It's true, Ally. You even walk with that "I'm a tough guy" aura.

But good to see you are being humble. Humility will garner you much, much respect, my friend.
Really? I kinda hate how people consider me a Brawl god blahblah it's annoying and I wish I wasn't known to be honest, and if that's what you think... well maybe that's how YOU feel, when I walk away and stuff, I feel like I just won my set or tourney nothing else. I think it's more how people think about when a pro is around them, they usually say ' Oh I'm just a scrub don't worry' like seriously what kind of mindset that **** is? if there's someone who's doing it wrong it's you people, if I do sound lil cockier than before, believe me, I'm still the same nice guy (with a better english) but I will trashtalk back because I learned that it's needed in competitive games or you will just lose hope. aight night lmao.

Bertroll

Smash Cadet
Really? I kinda hate how people consider me a Brawl god blahblah it's annoying and I wish I wasn't known to be honest, and if that's what you think... well maybe that's how YOU feel, when I walk away and stuff, I feel like I just won my set or tourney nothing else. I think it's more how people think about when a pro is around them, they usually say ' Oh I'm just a scrub don't worry' like seriously what kind of mindset that **** is? if there's someone who's doing it wrong it's you people, if I do sound lil cockier than before, believe me, I'm still the same nice guy (with a better english) but I will trashtalk back because I learned that it's needed in competitive games or you will just lose hope. aight night lmao.
^ this.

lol people over analyze **** too much I can't really think of a pro I know of that embraces an obnoxious ego, it's just deceiving player perception and its bull**** cuz half the time those people don't even really know the players they just assume.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
If anyone reads my wall-of-text, I hope some of it makes sense lol. Unless i misunderstood Ally, I think most of it relates to what he was saying.

From being a pro player in a different MLG title, I completely agree with Ally that confidence is essential, sometimes even cockiness (even if is a fake cockiness, not real). When I talk to people in a competitive setting, I try to display a level of intimidation and experience, to either give myself a confidence boost or make the other person nervous. One thing I learned from competition for anything is that if you stay confident, you'll rarely find yourself getting nervous. Other mental games such as trash talking are essential also, if you're opponent even lets one thing you say go to their head it can be game over for them.

Also, about the "I think it's more how people think about when a pro is around them, they usually say ' Oh I'm just a scrub don't worry' like seriously what kind of mindset that **** is?"... this is so true. It is horrible mindset to be intimidated by pros, and consider yourself a scrub. In Gears of War 2 I went from amateur, to semi-pro, to money making pro within 3 events, and it was solely because of my mindset. I beat players/teams that other people in my original position (amateur) never would've dreamed of beating, and it was because I had the right mindset and determination. I hope to do the same in brawl =].

Lastly, in some of my Gears of War 2 matches that determined who would walk away with more money I often played against good friends, and there was tons of trash talking during the match, but after it was done it was all gg's and hugs. So props to not letting the game go to your head for too long, Ally. Letting things go to your head or having lingering negative feelings would just hurt your mentality down the road.

/rant

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
but I will trashtalk back because I learned that it's needed in competitive games or you will just lose hope. aight night lmao.
Sometimes it isnt enough facing some people in the ring. I too do the same thing when people start getting mouthy. I wouldnt let anyone blatantly start calling me out on **** if they havent already faced me in the ring.

psh then again, its just so amusing how much a game can take precedence in some peoples lives and or actions. Really if someone needs to prove anything it should be inside a match, not through the mouth. Words are about as useless and feeble as a piece of paper in water.

Browny

Smash Hater

Rock Paper Scissors is completely about reading, consistently winning matches of it is completely praiseworthy, especially considering it's a skill we praise in Brawl and melee.

Regardless, you're wrong, defensive play is just as prevalent and important in other fighting games, no tournament SF player gonna say that you didn't really win the match in Third Strike if it went to time.

If you wanna compare it to real fighting, then frankly patience is even MORE important in actual fights and could easily save your life.
/offtopic

how about this analogy.

I get the first kill in a 1vs1 match in an FPS game, then sit on a roof, armed with endless grenades. There is no way you can possibly kill me unless I made a mistake and stick my head out in the open to get sniped and do anything except guarding a stairwell with the grenades. Defensive play in FPS is just as important as offence, especially in games like battlefield.

In that scenario, does this make me the supreior shooter? Am I better than the other person in a shooting game because they cant beat my weapon/position combination, this situation which arises because of a potential fluke of who got the first kill, suddenly turns the game into a 0:100 matchup. This sounds awfully familiar...

Im not saying the two are comparable, obviously an apple vs. oranges case here but my point still stands... Its a big claim for someone to say they are very skilled if all they do is throw grenades down a stairwell, that doesnt mean you beat the other player in a SHOOTING game. Brawl is on a whole nother level when it comes to defensive play where you can literally not get hit for an entire match if you want. Would you honestly admit someone is better than you at a fighting game if all they did was land one hit, then ran away for 8 minutes?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
how about this analogy.

I get the first kill in a 1vs1 match in an FPS game, then sit on a roof, armed with endless grenades. There is no way you can possibly kill me unless I made a mistake and stick my head out in the open to get sniped and do anything except guarding a stairwell with the grenades. Defensive play in FPS is just as important as offence, especially in games like battlefield.

In that scenario, does this make me the supreior shooter? Am I better than the other person in a shooting game because they cant beat my weapon/position combination, this situation which arises because of a potential fluke of who got the first kill, suddenly turns the game into a 0:100 matchup. This sounds awfully familiar...

Im not saying the two are comparable, obviously an apple vs. oranges case here but my point still stands... Its a big claim for someone to say they are very skilled if all they do is throw grenades down a stairwell, that doesnt mean you beat the other player in a SHOOTING game. Brawl is on a whole nother level when it comes to defensive play where you can literally not get hit for an entire match if you want. Would you honestly admit someone is better than you at a fighting game if all they did was land one hit, then ran away for 8 minutes?

Then you won at an FPS by getting the first kill, and proper defensive play. It's not your fault that the balance is s*** and it takes no real effort to maintain the lead, at that point the real battle ended with the first hit, and you should be like Isia, don't get hit. Kill em first, and then YOU utilize it, if you consistently fail at this, then they're the superior player.

Beyond planking and other effectively invincible defensive maneuvers, Brawl, while defensive, does not offer an anywhere near invincible defensive position equivalent to the one that If you capitalize on it properly (which can mean slowing the pace to a time out, but generally means forcing your opponent to take risks by approaching you), you'll win, if not, you lose. Either way, the winner was generally the superior player unless the MU is bad or a particular playstyle counters another.

Yes, yes it does.
Exactly, bad players who run away run away badly, lose their lead and get *****. Good players who run away force approaches and ultimately capitalize off the advantage to **** their opponent and/or time them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom