• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good colleges for smash?

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
I'll be graduating from high school next year, and I've decided that I'll give competitive smash a try around then. So, like the title says, which colleges have a strong smash scene? For those wondering, I'm not thinking about making this my priority in picking a college, I'm just curious.

If this is the wrong board, I'm sorry. I couldn't figure out where to post this.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Every school has a different smash community, some good some not so active.

Here in Florida, the schools are USF, FIU, UCF, FSU, UF, UNF, FAU.

As far as population density
FIU and UCF are currently the most populated areas for smash since they're within the big cities of Miami and Orlando respectively. for FIU, we usually meet up in the game room and play

Other schools like USF, FSU, UF, UNF are far away from the popular tournaments in the Orlando area. USF in Tampa has a good community, but not everyone goes to the school. USF has a community base and attracts alabama and georgia players. yet 4 hours to orlando

but really. you are living in a competitive zone (Maryland), so check out the schools there

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Drexel U in Philly

Home of Cactuar, Myself, Beat, GOTM, and more.
People who used to go there and still live in the area: UltimoDragon, Pakman, Scar

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Drexel U in Philly

Home of Cactuar, Myself, Beat, GOTM, and more.
People who used to go there and still live in the area: UltimoDragon, Pakman, Scar
Yeah the only issue with Philly though is that the players are good but there are like 2 tournaments a year.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
University of Maryland, College Park (which I attend) has a great smash scene. Wife, Voodoo, Chred2AKrisp, Aero, Tin, Shuka, GustavWind, Wenbolicious, Rebel581, Slikvik and myself to mention a few.

M@v

Subarashii!
Penn State Main Campus has a good scene. Penn State Altoona has like 3 people, but its within 30 minutes of the main campus, so they drive up occasionally and join the rest of us.

PSU Altoona is Brawl. PSU Main is Brawl and Melee.

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
Idk about your grades
But Berkeley and all of the UC/Good Cali schools have a pretty active player base

~rh

Smash Lord
Stay here, go to UMD College Park. You can travel to bmores easily, and are only 20 min away from Hoodbridge and Falls Church.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Practically all the UCs in Cali have a good scene. With Berkeley, Irvine and Davis being probably the top 3.

SFSU is good too and has biweeklies.

CCSF is ridiculous stacked with SS, Lunin, Tang, AznDanny, and more. But thats like community college soooo.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Also, lol at College Park. I have a cousin who just graduated who went there, and he said the scene was awful. Granted, he transferred to another school during his first year, but still... lmao. I live about 15 minutes away from the place, so I should give it a shot! :laugh:

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Penn State has a pretty good scene for melee and brawl, but it's in the middle of nowhere. Still, we always have smashfests and we're probably going to start having monthly tournaments for both games. If you end up going to Pennsylvania, I would recommend PSU or Drexel.

Illos

Smash Apprentice
I'll be in Pittsburgh next fall and I hear CMU/Pitt are in a good melee area.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Also, lol at College Park. I have a cousin who just graduated who went there, and he said the scene was awful. Granted, he transferred to another school during his first year, but still... lmao. I live about 15 minutes away from the place, so I should give it a shot! :laugh:
He probably didn't put much effort into finding people. There are rising juniors and sophomores this year (whom your cousin wouldn't have known in his first year) who are exceptional at Melee and Brawl.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I'm not thinking about making this my priority in picking a college, I'm just curious.
I'm not thinking about making this my priority in picking a college, I'm just curious.
Read the OP, Read The OP, Read the Mother**** OP

Leacero

Smash Lord
Hofstra in NY has a good scene, and Stony Brook not so much (like 6 people who play regularly... Melee plz. A few here for Brawl too, but really I don't care for that scene so I'm not informed) but decent.

Smash Apprentice
Practically all the UCs in Cali have a good scene. With Berkeley, Irvine and Davis being probably the top 3.
Really, UCI? Although a lot of people play smash over there, but IIR, there was hardly any tournaments, let alone smashfests [unless it's like in dorms] on campus. So, everyone goes off-campus for good smash or maybe I'm left out on all the fun :(

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Really with the population of people all at 'gamer' age I would expect you can find people to play with at almost any school. Anyways, I know in ann arbor (University of Michigan) they are having a couple huge tournaments soon'ish, which I am stoked about because I am heading there.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Any college in California. :] I'm gonna be a senior also, and I'm settled in going to college in California (since I'm such a lazy butt to go outta state).

Levitas

the moon
U of Michigan also has a decent number of melee players, though we don't have dope.

We have some brawl though... for whatever that's worth

melee is much more fun though

joeplicate

Smash Master
if you're thinking of CA

SFSU and UC Irvine are really great
UC santa cruz is pretty good ;)

basically if it's not in between salinas-santa barbara in california, you're good

Roager

Smash Ace
SoCal is a pretty active area, from what I know. I'm in Idaho, so I can't be sure, but it might be worth a look-see.

clowsui

Smash Legend
UCincinnati has some of the best players in MW:E (aside from Michigan, I mean)
Columbus' smash scene is weird, but OSU has Quivo + AZ
Northeast OH has M2K (LOL), Vidjo and....uhh who else is good in NEOH...Shugo
Ohio U has an active Smash scene but Pops is their only person who places high consistently iirc

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We have some brawl though... for whatever that's worth

melee is much more fun though
it's worth nothing
i agree with the black

so yea guyz anyone go to Missouri S&T in Rolla, MO?

Top Bottom