• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going into a tourney tomorrow as Sonic.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
-Play R.O.B. with hit and run style.
-Play Falco with a defensive manner to lure him towards you, once he attacks you directly, play all out aggressor, never letting Falco get away to spam laser. STICK TO HIM.
-Play MK defensively always....they can follow up a spot dodge with ANY attack and that includes a
dsmash so never be the aggressor
-Snake would also be Hit and Run me thinks.....not sure about it actually.

That covers all the Japanese Top Tier Characters. They're overplayed here as well, IMO

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Wario isn't a horrible character for sonic to play against.
Just don't abuse your spindashes and don't stay in the air too long.
Granted its not as bad if you face Luigi but play safely and force him to go to you.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Uthrow utilt is a godsend against heavy/big characters. Don't try to grab wolf after the dsmash, or even grab him in general (I learned this the hard way last week, lost to a scrub because I didn't know about the dsmash spam. D:). Do NOT fight ICs with him, unless you're super confident. In fact, unless you know the match-up, having a secondary might be a good idea.

Play the aggressor vs Falco. He plays control style. If you let him set the pace, you're ****ed. UpB outta the CG, just mash it, if they mess up one frame, you're out. Bthrow bair works wonders on everyone ever.

Don't play stupid, and if you get frustrated, maybe you should change characters.

Also, I think you know the Luigi's mansion trick. Only use it against characters/people that Sonic would normally get owned by. Do NOT use it against Peach/Ike, it eliminates his advantage.

GL, HF

Tenki

Smash Hero
-Spindash isn't affected by bananas, if that helps you approach Diddy Kong.

-vs Snake, you can try what Ophelia did and break through his up-smash mortar with N-air?

-If you get a middleweight to 120%, you can u-throw>spring>b-air and catch them with that lol. add 10% and you can throw a middleweight to a height that you can hit perfectly with a u-air ._.;

Good luck :D

------
random IC story:
the other day, I was sonic against a... (bad..?) IC. On the last stock, I kept using N-air and jumping between them, but every time I split them up, I attacked Nana (CPU) with prejudice, since she's sooo much easier to hit. In the end, I finished him at 60%, smashing both of them off the level. Nana flew too far for him to use Belay and he got screwed :laugh:

Just an idea if you decide to use him vs IC.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
remember, start every stock with u-throw, u-air, to b/u-air good 25 damage on just about everyone.

its easy to spam short hopped forward airs on any characters bigger than sonic.

and for pits. try spinshotting to approach and dont be afraid to d-air and land behind him.

and u-throw, u-air combo works best for me between 80 and 100 damage, and i think we covered everything else

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Only use spinshot to approach Pit's over-B. Sonic can still get punished if he spinshots over Pit's arrows.
SD can take care of the arrows.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
not sure if a tourney would be the best place to test its usefulness, but try using spin dash shield cancel to bait your opponents. just a thought.

Umby

Smash Master
Eat lots of pizza. Drink lots of Coke. Not Pepsi. Coke.

Oh, and don't for get to KO your opponents with Taunt and taunt them with Forward Smash.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Today is that tourney. It got pushed back lol. I might have recordings from this too :] Wish me luck? lol.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
You carry the fate of us all, little one. Fail today, and it shall resound throughout eternity. Now go and win, no pressure ^o^b

~Good luck

Boxob

Smash Champion
Boxob suuuuuuuuucks. He took seventh.
You weren't there you dumb butt face. D:

There were two tourneys. Both out of 36 people.

I took fourth and last D: *hides* I'll try again, if I do this poorly a second time, I'm picking up someone who doesn't suck. MK on Delfino is the gayest thing ever.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
sonic on final d=s god

But yeh my worst match ups in tournies were:
wario- stupid superarmor doesnt need to be in his fsmash. His attacks are pretty quick to execute and hes hella annoying to gimp.
Diddy Kong- ONLY if u dont know diddys movelist, if u do play alittle defensively and stay away from his dash attack spams.
Marth- Because of priority and Fair, but this isnt too much of a prob.

But as zeal said its good to get a 2nd, im working on zss and snake to see which one becomes my better.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Boxob, the 4th place isn't bad at all. Why last in the other tournament?

If someone takes you to Delfino, play as a psychic brat. Looking at Ness, mainly.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I got last cause I was eliminated by some MK spammer. Couldn't do ****. Then an Ike, I get annoyed easy so for him to just stand there not attacking really pisses me off, so I go in and of course eat a bunch of nairs until I die.

I'm pretty much ready to just go back to Melee.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Alright... I want to create an in-depth analysis of camping. Specifically for Sonic's counters of camping. The idea being that camping is an actual strategy. That spamming has actual skill that must be acknowledged and as such there are ways to counter it.

When meta knight spams tornado... run and grab the ledge. That's one option. Keep doing that till he messes up / mix it up with that to fool him that you aren't grabbing the ledge and he gets careless.

I did a lot of thinking about this. This could be an expansion of character matchup... but I feel it deserves more attention then simply mentioning a spammable move that a character can do. Discussing patterns that character's abuse would be really helpful. We can even use this thread if you want :p

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hmm. Doesn't UpB and its invincibility frames escape the tornado? I haven't fought many good metaknights, but I thought I thought if you just mash UpB it did. Although even if it did they might be able to catch you again once you hit the ground, I dunno.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
*shrugs*

It's your own fault for not thinking of a way to deal with that. But as I said to someone else before, you won't get any better if you don't continue to use Sonic at tournaments. If you're looking for some instant gratification you're using the wrong character that's for sure.

Tenki

Smash Hero
D-air breaks through tornado, doesn't it? At least, coming in from the top?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Torando is vulnerable from the top and Boxob... it does take skill to be used properly, cause I punish meta knights who abuse it improperly. Trust me, I'm dedicating the month of may to better my sonic against spammers.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
homing attack can break tornado as well.. because usually it archs up and hits it form the top.

but sonic isn't really fit to fight meta i dont think..
wolf neither for that matter.

I think im going to start mirroring everyone because its rediculous how easy ti is to win on a fair playign feild.

Browny

Smash Hater
use lucario against MK :>

also b-air goes through mach tornado. the computer somehow did it to me...

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
Tornado isn't like the most broken move in the game... ffs, you're Sonic, fastest in the game. Just run away, and then back after it's finished, and smash him or something. ;)

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
come to socal....i'll play melee with you lol screw brawl
Go away you Brawl hater D:

Lol just kidding ^_^ If you like Melee better, then play it Box :O Just remember that it's too early in the metagame to decide whether or not Sonic sux out loud or whatever. Have faith o.ov

LuCKy

Smash Master
Go away you Brawl hater D:

Lol just kidding ^_^ If you like Melee better, then play it Box :O Just remember that it's too early in the metagame to decide whether or not Sonic sux out loud or whatever. Have faith o.ov
i have faith in sonic.......luv that lil blue guy lol but melee is soooooooooooo fun

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
I miss Melee's Captain Falcon T_T But Brawl's here now, so I'm gonna do what I can. Plus, I don't have Melee anymore and I can't find it anywhere U_U

Top Bottom