• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath`

Smash Master
New Year's is a super-huge Holiday in Japan. They probably have the whole week off or something like that.
but if the updates are put in advance there should be no trouble, right?

I want them to update the site drunk, it would be hilarius

mapler90210

Smash Rookie
from your description, the spike-ball thing is indeed from the kirby franchise. it is most resembling of it's form in kirby's air ride. again, this is going off of your description.

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
Wow what happened to this thread???
herm. If you're here you've probably ignored the other 351 pages like I did.
Can we talk about something related to the first page?

Pseudo_Sam

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I was more than a little worried when I first saw a video of Brawl in action. It just seemed so much slower. I hope Sakurai hasn't sacrificed too much speed and strategy for the sake of mainstreaming the game.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I was more than a little worried when I first saw a video of Brawl in action. It just seemed so much slower. I hope Sakurai hasn't sacrificed too much speed and strategy for the sake of mainstreaming the game.
yea, the game looks slower than melee and the characters seem more floating like luigi in melee

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
I like floaty characters though. I also like the fact that brawl has found the perfect mid-ground between the games. Start out slow, end super-fast.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
hey gimpy you think you could list the entrace effects (if you still know them) i know some of them but i wanna know the ones on the demo :) thanks

Off the top of my head.

Link comes riding a whirldwind.

Mario comes from a pipe.

Pikachu from a pokeball.

Bowser walks out of fire.

Sonic just kind of lands in spindash form and then just stands up.

Ike uses some teleportation magic from FE (Insert correct number here).

Samus walks out of that pod thing, as she did in SSB64, if you have played Metroid Prime, it is just like the pod that allows you to board her ship.

DK comes out of a barrel

Yoshi from an egg

I can't remember anymore from the top of my head, but there are some others in videos, i'll look it up for you.

Edit:

Pit comes down from heaven through some celestial ray of light. (Fun fact: I just watched a video, where as Pit came down, he landed on a platform on top of where he was supposed to land {I speculate this due to the fact that everyone else landed below that platform and Pit was the only one, out of the 4 players to actually be on the platform above})

Diddy is another barrel

Metaknight comes out of his cape

Fox comes from the Arwing (which flies at really high speed, comes close to the ground, drops Fox, then leaves)

Peach just appears, bearing her parasol.

peytar

Smash Journeyman
A place where no one cares about brawl but me
Off the top of my head.

Link comes riding a whirldwind.

Mario comes from a pipe.

Pikachu from a pokeball.

Bowser walks out of fire.

Sonic just kind of lands in spindash form and then just stands up.

Ike uses some teleportation magic from FE (Insert correct number here).

Samus walks out of that pod thing, as she did in SSB64, if you have played Metroid Prime, it is just like the pod that allows you to board her ship.

DK comes out of a barrel

Yoshi from an egg

I can't remember anymore from the top of my head, but there are some others in videos, i'll look it up for you.

Edit:

Pit comes down from heaven through some celestial ray of light. (Fun fact: I just watched a video, where as Pit came down, he landed on a platform on top of where he was supposed to land {I speculate this due to the fact that everyone else landed below that platform and Pit was the only one, out of the 4 players to actually be on the platform above})

Diddy is another barrel

Metaknight comes out of his cape

Fox comes from the Arwing (which flies at really high speed, comes close to the ground, drops Fox, then leaves)

Peach just appears, bearing her parasol.
thank you for that

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
thank you for that
No problem. Also the Japanese demo had Wario and Kirby, plus a video of Snake and Zelda, so if we can find any videos of the Japanese demo (or that Game video where Snake and Zelda appear) we could find out the 4 entrances of those characters.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Gimpy can moderators add Avatars to the Avatar list for normal members?

If so, would you add a Bowser Jr. avatar? I want a Bowser Jr. avatar for myself.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Gimpy can moderators add Avatars to the Avatar list for normal members?

If so, would you add a Bowser Jr. avatar? I want a Bowser Jr. avatar for myself.
Just buy or win premium membership and you're all set.......

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
The Japanese seem to think Ike is very good. But I have heard that the only matches at Jumpfesta were Free for Alls, and you said that Ike was very good at Free for Alls. =O CONTROVERSY DUN DUN DUN

Also, I think I may just be hallucinating, but in the SSE trailer, when Ike does his Up B, it looks he falls slightly slower and goes a LITTLE more to the side. Hopefully there'll be even more tweaks. What really needs to be tweaked IMO is that the developers should make it so Ike doesn't helplessly fall after doing his Side B if he does it in mid-air because I've heard that's what he does. D:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The Japanese seem to think Ike is very good. But I have heard that the only matches at Jumpfesta were Free for Alls, and you said that Ike was very good at Free for Alls. =O CONTROVERSY DUN DUN DUN

Also, I think I may just be hallucinating, but in the SSE trailer, when Ike does his Up B, it looks he falls slightly slower and goes a LITTLE more to the side. Hopefully there'll be even more tweaks. What really needs to be tweaked IMO is that the developers should make it so Ike doesn't helplessly fall after doing his Side B if he does it in mid-air because I've heard that's what he does. D:

Well from Gimpy's description, it would seem that Ike is good at FFA's, he is also good at a casual level.

Since noone there knew how to play Brawl, by its new mechanics and stuff, and really noone has had the game for such a long time, really it was just casual games, as no one can say they truly mastered the game. Taking this into account Ike probably seemed a lot better than he really is, and then adding the fact that they only played FFA's, well, you can see where their opinions were made from. In reality I don't think we can rate a character until a game comes out, but if Ike is as slow as I imagine him to be (basing it on Gimpy's posts + watched videos of Ike) well, then he might be bad after all. :S

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
I really must enquire, Gimpy, did anyone try, you know, throwing Ike's sword in a direction that wasn't up? I mean, like, pressing the control stick diagonally while he's throwing the sword.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I really must enquire, Gimpy, did anyone try, you know, throwing Ike's sword in a direction that wasn't up? I mean, like, pressing the control stick diagonally while he's throwing the sword.
Do you mean like angling (or w/e) Up + B? Kind of like Fox's?

Or do you mean directionally influencing it?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Angling it
I guess it could be possible, but given the fact that so many people played the game, it is very improbable that none of them tried pressing or even maybe pressed without noticing in a diagonal angle.

I have watched all the videos that I have found of Brawl and I have yet to see and Ike do anything but go directly upwards then downwards with his Up + B.

But fear not, not all is lost. Ike's Side + B is actually like Fox's, but faster and covers more distance (from what I heard). So it is a very good horizontal recovery if you need it. So think of Ike as more of a Luigi recovery guy.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it isn't faster and it doesn't cover more distance from what i experienced. it charges up in the same way as luigi's does, but you can only use it once. ike's recovery is completely horrible.
and no, you cant angle his up b

it's straight up, straight down.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Brawl Talk 2 has about 3 weeks to come out before being overrun. XD

Synister

Smash Rookie
okay so just wanted to make a couple points here and then ask a question for gimpy or anyone else who can answer
1. first point is that i dont know if its already been said on this thread but i cannot read every page so my mistake, but at jumpfesta the demo that was played has shown ike as being faster than E for all i believe, so thats good news for alot of ppl
2. thank you very much for a lot of this info

questions:
1. when you use pits down b move, the mirror that reflects projectiles, when normal attacsk for example a normal smash attack hits it, i know that the smash will be blocked, BUT will the damage be returned back to the person doing the smash,
2. in completely YOUR opinion, but with awesomeness bias removed for metaknight (because of his look), who do YOU think is the better character?

if you dont want to answer no worreis, im okay with that
thanks for time and shtuff

this is the link to the source i have for the ike info http://www.brawlcentral.com/, i saw it on the ike forums anyway but whatever

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i never said or impied that metaknight is the best character if thats what you are asking, but i'm not going to bother listing who is good ad who is not.

pit's down b move reflects projectiles and blocks normal attacks, it doesn't' reflect normal attacks.

Synister

Smash Rookie
no i was just wondering like which one was better not best, just something that popped into my head
thanks for the pit info though

edit: black and gold bowser looks sick btw

Sw3Et

Smash Rookie
hey, i just joined smashboards today and decided i would use my first post to say... Gimpy you are awesome. all that info is so well written and just what i need to understand the new characters. i cant wait to play smash brawl, it will probably come out in australia about march-april. so between feb 10th and then, i will be on here finding out everything i can. love brawl talk aswell, keep them coming... whats the hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom