• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No U. A vast majority of the new Pokemon look awesome. Only some are totally ugly (Slacking, Tangrowth, etc.)

If we started with 4th gen and worked our way up to 1st gen, people would still complain.

Really, from a character designer's point of view, the old Pokemon are very simplistic and uninspired (Charizard, lol)
>.>;

Yes. And Chimchar, who looks like a CHIMPANZEE (with fire coming out of his ***), is totally original.

Anyway. Go Gimpy. I wanna hear some more info on Metaknight.

Smooth Criminal

Dynamism

Smash Lord
correct me if im wrong but I don't see an update for power shielding. is it still in or not and if its in, how good is it, also what about slow ledge recovery after 100%?

thx
That's a good question, both of them. Especially the powersheild one because I powersheild EVERYTHING!!! It was like the first thing I did when I got melee cause the cpus all did it and I was like "wtf? I see how they did that but that's hard" That took alot of practice :laugh:
And the ledge thing yeah. More so, can you attack or jump or roll different distances and ways from the ledge? Though that'll probably be a more time consuming disection than a demo of 4 days can provide.

And Johnknight1: yeah DK looked alright and his KOing ability looked better, but I can only hope that it's enough ;)
Yoshi, kind of up and down with what happened in the melee to brawl transition
Samus just went down in the fire-power departement, which really pisses me off. I thought this game would exagerate variety (Bigger get bigger=faster get faster[proportionally of course]) but she would be the one to shoot alot and that's been rendered less functional. oh well. I still think the priority boots will prevail.
That's why I think Ike is just an awkward extreme on the heavy power spacing end to expand the character variety range of the roster.

And it's good you said "except Beedrill" haha

Ness can beat fast guys by using his "average" speed to disable theirs. That's why he ***** Sheik and can do great against the animals when used accordingly. Many Ness players don't study how to beat these fast top tier as$es but if you do, it becomes extremely easy really :chuckle:

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I liked the simplistic sort of down to earth design of the old pokemon. They seemed like animals combined with other stuff.

The new pokemon is like the forgot about aesthetics and just slopped a bunch of things together. Exaggerating of course but whatever. XD

Ummm. . . . .and I thought Ness could never combo that well but he moved fairly quick. Young Link and Pikachu were sort of quick too but Young Link suffered from not being able to kill along with little range and laggy moves while pikachu couldn't kill and had no range. Speed is not everything in this game, but if you see a speedy character that does not have sucky moves, then he is at least middle tier. lol

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
ZSS's d-air is the dive kick. It's like Sonic's.

Her down b is a little juke teleport thing. When done in the air, she does a jump spin like Sheik does with her up+b, flashing in the meantime and possible granting invulnerability. I don't remember if you can do anything after the little teleport.
Thanks!

But wait, is Sonic's dive kick his DAir or Down+B in the air? I've heard both answers.

If its a DAir, that's very surprising, as it would be the first (and so far only, AFAIK) DAir in the game to actually affect your trajectory when used, since he pauses for a bit then dives down quickly. At least, that's how it appears in the videos. Every other DAir in Smash history (or FAir or BAir or UAir or NAir for that matter) has no affect on your trajectory (you can DAir while still moving upward for example) with the exception of Link's DAir causing him to bounce (but even it doesn't change his trajectory when he starts it, only when he hits).

If Sonic's dive kick really is a DAir that changes his mid-air trajectory, that's a new gameplay mechanic that could potentially affect multiple characters!

And ZSS's is this way too? Or does hers not affect her trajectory like a normal DAir?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
>.>;

Yes. And Chimchar, who looks like a CHIMPANZEE (with fire coming out of his ***), is totally original.

Anyway. Go Gimpy. I wanna hear some more info on Metaknight.

Smooth Criminal
As much as I hate Chimchar, I have to admit that it's design is superior to Charmander. Chimchar at least has a swirl insignia theme going for it. Charmander is just a lizard with a flame on its tail.

Mrs. Saturn

Smash Cadet
Ya know, I wouldnt mind hearing stuff about the Music.

I know some of the stages dont have the same music thats on the Dojo.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
thats his down air
Wow, so Sonic and ZSS's DAirs actually move them downward instead of continuing their current trajectory?!?

Fascinating!

Do other mid-air A attacks cause the characters to actually change their trajectory now? No A attack did this in Melee or N64 (other than the Link DAir Bounce thing I mentioned). This opens up new possibilities for move repitoires on characters!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i have no information on the music, it was ridiculously loud and i couldn't hear it, and i didn't bother writting down any of the names of the songs

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
DON'T BASH THE CHARMANDER!!!
That's it! I'll be on you with Charizard online EVERY time you're on MUHAHAHAH!!!

jk
Seriously though, that Dair think is cool sure, I think MKs Uair actually boosts him up too. Or else EVERY TIME he used it, he jumped :laugh:
Awesome. Lucas has fought Chimeras before. I'm sure Charizard will be right up his alley! XD

And yeah, I'm also interested by the properties that some of the A attacks have now. I mean, look at Snake...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ummm. . . . .and I thought Ness could never combo that well but he moved fairly quick. Young Link and Pikachu were sort of quick too but Young Link suffered from not being able to kill along with little range and laggy moves while pikachu couldn't kill and had no range. Speed is not everything in this game, but if you see a speedy character that does not have sucky moves, then he is at least middle tier. lol
Ness has **** combos wtf are you talking about??? He doesn't **** high tiers (it's more like the opposite way around actually) but that's not the reason he's low tier. it's a combination of recovery, lack of a good ground game, gayed really easily, floatiness, and that he's easy to combo. Other stuff too, but he's definetely above average in speed and combos.

Pikachu has range problems, definetely not killing problems...
Young Link has killing problems and a little of range problems too...

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
pokemon....pshhh

anyways, did you guys find out if you can still do that *sheild edgehog trick*? you know the one that works great against marth's recovery back to the stage. I think it was PC Chris that invented this too.

what about stalemate attacks and the neutral punch-grab combo for some characters like mario?

I know you still have alot more to add here and I appreciate it but- **** *****! STEP YO SMASH GAME UP! lol j/k

thx

-Mikey G

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness has **** combos wtf are you talking about??? He doesn't **** high tiers (it's more like the opposite way around actually) but that's not the reason he's low tier. it's a combination of recovery, lack of a good ground game, gayed really easily, floatiness, and that he's easy to combo. Other stuff too, but he's definetely above average in speed and combos.

Yes this is true, although Ness can hold his own against high tiers, especially Fox, which is an equal match. (NOT MARTH though.)

A lot of Ness's speed and agility comes from his aerial movement from double jump cancel, which springs him in the direction of the curl. He also has some nice frame properties, such as having no lag after the second half of his down air, and having no lag if he initiates a Fair attack directly from a short hop. His short hop is also fantastic and is complimented by fast aerials, especially the fair with its disjointed hitbox and combo-friendly setup.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Ya know, I wouldnt mind hearing stuff about the Music.
There's plenty of videos where you can hear the music quite well. I was actually quite disappointed because most of it sounded quite similar. Hopefully this was just a limitation in the demo and the full release will have more songs.

Here's some of the lyrics I picked up on:

"Get it! Get it! The ball! Get the ball! Go get the ball!"

It's usually followed by another instant classic:

"Press one! One! Press one! Hit one! Press one! One!"

Catchy, no? I think those were the only two songs in the demo, or at least the only two in the videos I've seen. I couldn't hear anything else.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
anyways, did you guys find out if you can still do that *sheild edgehog trick*? you know the one that works great against marth's recovery back to the stage. I think it was PC Chris that invented this too.

-Mikey G
i didn't try it, but we should have.

and PC didn't invent it, it was Zarelid.

K1T3

Smash Lord

what about stalemate attacks and the neutral punch-grab combo for some characters like mario?

I know you still have alot more to add here and I appreciate it but- **** *****! STEP YO SMASH GAME UP! lol j/k

thx

-Mikey G
KKK (Krazy Kirby Kid) did it first to my knowledge.

I don't think it will have nearly as much use though with all the auto sweetspot stuff, but I'm sure we could find someway to use it still, so also wandering if it's still in =)

festizzio

Smash Champion
The smashbros site has all the music on there, you didn't really need to hear it or even go to E for All to hear it or know which stage it came from.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
no, it was zeralid. and anyawys, that technique seems completely invalid because of the new sweetspot, but you can just insta edgehog by walking off the edge anyways so it doesn't seem to be too big of a deal.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

I never said Ness was low tier because of the comboing issues. I never thought he was that great about comboing (he seems to link the same moves over and over like djc upair, fair, nair like chains). Oh well, you play Ness more than me.

Pikachu needs to edgeguard to get the kill and Young Link I don't like because he mostly has the same laggy moves as Link without the range. I think Pikachu's main problem is he can't approach very well which stems from his range and priority.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
ok, and what about powershielding? I know its kind of a silly question but no one has mentioned it yet.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
ok a few questions...

1. Whats this talk about diddy not being able to short hop peanut spam?
2. When are we getting this video blog thing?
3. The people who played diddy WHAT ARE HIS COSTUMES!!!?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i think powershielding is in, i'll update a few more techniques later i'm almost done with the final smashes!

after all the updates i'll start the video blogs but those will take longer to do i bet

Dynamism

Smash Lord
What the Diddy lovers said ^^^^ and

Ness owns Fox and Sheik...especially Sheik. Falco and Falcon "can" be matched but it's hard. Marth is too good though.

Stoked for Goldeen experiments in the water and Lyn...in the water...all wet and ready to pounce on me o_O

YEY POWERSHEILD!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Pikachu needs to edgeguard to get the kill and Young Link I don't like because he mostly has the same laggy moves as Link without the range. I think Pikachu's main problem is he can't approach very well which stems from his range and priority.
Pikachu's up-smash is the most powerful up-smash in the game (tied with Fox's), unless you count ganons, but that has to hit twice.

Magic

Smash Apprentice
3. The people who played diddy WHAT ARE HIS COSTUMES!!!?
His costumes are basically just recolors of his shirt/hat, except for the pink one, which also alters his fur color to be lighter. It makes him look a lot like Dixie Kong (bar the ponytail).

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Can we please stop debating Melee tier lists in this thread (i.e. the Ness debate)?

I'd think we'd be more interested in new information on Brawl than in debating the 6-year-old Melee in this thread.

I for one would like to hear more details on air A attacks making characters move now (I guess it was a natural progression, after all many Smash attacks make you move on the ground, why not move in the air from A attacks too?). And any answers people may have for the remaining questions on the E4A Q&A Thread.

Here's the questions we have left:

- Does dodging while hanging on a ledge still count you as on the ledge for the entire length of the dodge animation, preventing others from grabbing it, or can others grab it as soon as you are actually physically off the ledge?

- Can you C-stick a DAir after the height of your jump without doing a fast-fall? If you use the C-stick for air attacks does it move your character in the direction pressed now, or can you still, say, jump backwards and C-stick an FAir without losing your backwards momentum? The new C-stick mechanics seem to indicate this may have changed.

- How does Mario manage to charge FLUDD while blocking as mentioned on the Dojo, since Down+B would make you spot-dodge while blocking?

- Can DK wall-jump now, like he could do in his latest platformer, DK Jungle Beat?

- Does DK benefit from hit stun resistance like Bowser and Ike? What moves, if any, offer this?

- When ZSS grabs someone with her Up+B and pulls them toward her, does she automatically go into a grab kind of like Bowser's old side+B, or do they just land next to her, or what?

- Can Link still block projectiles with his Hylian shield (by just idling or ducking, not pressing block)? Can he block Fox's lasers with it now?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Pikachu is extremely underrated. I think his main weakness is his lack of a good "range" of finishers. Not so much his range or lack of finishers, but he's really confined to few functional ones that are restricted to certain opertunities. That's why he does need to edge guard often. Which isn't a bad thing ;) Pika still *****.

Who needs finishers when you can 4 stock Falco and Falcon with a bthrow FF Uair spike UpB to edgehog? :p

Just so you know, Pikachu looks AMAZING in Brawl. Or should I say Pichu EVOLVED hahaha

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh yeah! And I heard that weak combos are easier to cause damage with and don't allow for as much punishment as they did in Melee. Fox's rapid kicks for example. Is this the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom