• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Reno needs to calm down.
Although I don't know about that.... you see I actually can look past EdgeHug and $Slide, just b/c of Hugs and Rob$, but Inks' Drop? I am so sorry, you went over the line with that stunt. Come on Gimpy, you know it. This is ridiculous, you shouldn't associated your amazing thread with some thing like that.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The report keeps getting better Gimpyfish! Keep it up! :)

Anyways, it will be intresting to hear your report on several of the characters, and I want to hear your thoughts on all the newcomers, especially Ike (again). I really want to see how Pit, Diddy Kong, and any and all heavy characters work in Brawl, especially Link and Donkey Kong (because I got your Bowser memo, and it was good...lol). So ya, keep the good news and info coming.

It definitely sounds like Brawl keeps getting more and more original. Sounds like it changed more from SSB64 to SSB Melee, actually. That's good, because change can very well be a good thing! :)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Although I don't know about that.... you see I actually can look past EdgeHug and $Slide, just b/c of Hugs and Rob$, but Inks' Drop? I am so sorry, you went over the line with that stunt. Come on Gimpy, you know it. This is ridiculous, you shouldn't associated your amazing thread with some thing like that.
Ink drop sounds kinda cool though. I like the "techiness" of the name. It's better than "splashing" or "flopping" or "tripping" or whatever other people want it called.

Unless you call it the assblastmasterclassbackwardtumble, then I'll change my mind.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
Why must Yoshi's DJC be taken from him?! I don't see the point in nerfing a low tier character. Now that all characters can "hug" the edge, his instant edge grab is also useless.

Giimpy, under edgehop you said "you can’t actually drop from the ledge by pressing down anymore." Is there any way to simply drop from the ledge? If not, there go his edge cancelled eggs.

I'm really hoping Yoshi gets some new advantages going his way. From what I've seen, his upB's jump doesn't even do that much.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
See the underlined text.

It's Bob$. Rob$ is a totally different Smasher.

You have to admit, tho', that they are KIND of entitled to naming some of these techs---or at least having the final word on it, anyway. They did play the demo. Besides, it's not set in stone yet. This is just a demo. For all we know, some of these little tricks may be taken out of the final version. Or the Smash Community will assimilate the technique and make it undergo a couple of name changes; it's happened before with some of the advanced techniques in Melee and it could sure as hell happen again.

Keep up the great work, Gimp. Looking forward to your character impressions.

Smooth Criminal

Glitch-Mew2

Smash Journeyman
did anyone answer my sonic questions?? lol seriously cuz i'll go off for a few hours n i got myself a good 10 extra pages, no exaggeration

not that im complainin if u got things to discuss its fine but i jus cant keep up lol, its scary

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Thanks Gimpy.

It's interesting that they have both Snorlax and Munchlax. I guess it was unavoidable, what with Snorlax being a Smash Bros favorite and Munchlax being popular (by 4th gen standards) in general.

It's strange that Kyogre doesn't do any damage, given the absolute beast that it is in the game.

Whut

Smash Cadet
Thanks Gimpy.

It's interesting that they have both Snorlax and Munchlax. I guess it was unavoidable, what with Snorlax being a Smash Bros favorite and Munchlax being popular in general.

It's strange that Kyogre doesn't do any damage, given the absolute beast that it is in the game.
EDIT: Oh! Corrected then! Kyogre's a little useless eh? Kind of surprising.
But anyways just for the sake of knowing...
This is Wailord:

This is Kyogre:

Yeah, the new Pokemon are a little hard to get used too. Honestly, some of the new Pokemon are really lackluster.

Keep it up Gimpy! We appreciate it so much!

Dynamism

Smash Lord
This is now kind of late but regarding the Sonic and Ike and how good they'll be down the road.

Sonic along with any character involving speed can generally be considered "out of bottom tier" because this advantage secures them. Another reason I think Ike will be better than first impressions indicate, is that with proper spacing and having lots of it can also secure a characters chances of winning too.

The ones I see strugling are Samus, Yoshi and DK (Which sucks [I guess I'd say that for any character though]). They don't have evasive speed or priority. 2 of them don't have projectiles or priority and the other thrives using projectiles but has been toned down in that area. I think DK can pull through with his KOing ability and Yoshi might have a chance with some new uses for his "imobile DJ" or possibly some good combinations of % givers and finishers (Dair and Dsmash maybe?). Samus looks like she'll struggle, at least at first because of the adapting a fire-power-house into a tight-in game. I'm sure she's had some improvements in that area.

Link is secure and seems to be more (and I hate to say it) Marth like. (ARG!) His projectiles are still great but now he's more of a speedy swordsman than a power swordsman. I would've liked a strength upgrade than a speed one. And given the general changes to the all around roster, I like his chances but don't like the way he got them. If the strength is still there (which the UpB has lost plenty of) than he'll be top tier no problem. I still don't like his stiffy look though.

Diddy and Pikachu will rule this game. Just wait and see. I still say they look the best (both now and potential wise)

And Pokeballs are not quite as cool as ATs but still sweet.
NIDOKING FOR AT though :laugh:

Gimpy's doing good eh?
Lucky ******* gets to play the demo, he better :laugh:

Magic

Smash Apprentice
Nah, Kyogre's in the game. I saw him. And he did seem pretty useless.

Wailord would be WAAY too huge. <_<

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh WAILORD...well that makes much more sense. After all, Wailord's not all that good in Pokemon. (as big as it is, it can't deal damage for nuts and doesn't even cut it defensively.)

Kyogre's probably in the game too. I'd hope it would at least do something similar to Groudon.

EDIT: whoops, sorry Magic. I'm too late.

Met

Smash Ace
Dude me and East caost eddie and chillin are eating nachos right now who the **** gives about poemon that **** is gay.... All i know is that i will rock all you guys with wario because i am so awesome and drunk. I am drunk *** **** right nw. but you guys re noobs nd I will own lol.... **** you guys ****. I will see you online **** *** whores!!!!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actually, I think Gimpy was referring to "Wailord' which is this guy:

Yeah, the new Pokemon are a little hard to get used too. Honestly, some of the new Pokemon are really lackluster.

Keep it up Gimpy! We appreciate it so much!
Nope, it's Kyroge. Kyroge is shown in the Nintendo FAll Press Conference 2007 Brawl Trailer doing the move that Gimpyfish described. Maybe Wailord is in...but it'd be like Snorlax x 10! :laugh:

Also, I really look forward to hearing on Ike, Donkey Kong, and a bit (more) of Fox and Link. I want to see how Ike works in FFAs as you descriped earlier on, and how Donkey Kong works overall.

And Dynamism, I disagree on Donkey Kong and Yoshi. Yoshi has seeminly faster attaks, and Donkey Kong seems all around better here and there. He wasn't that bad in Melee, and he just seems better. Samus...sounds a bit worse, but that's good, considering she was high tier. XD

And Link is a speed swordsmen=I agree. Wait...do you hear that=??? It's the sound of me celebrating as Roy is confirmed! We need some strong powerful swordsmens, after all, and Ike alone can't rep them. Who better then that one guy who was a low tier, and returns for revenge=???

Anyways, I hope Ike is better then wat I hear, and continues to sound like the Jigglypuff of teams (2 vs. 2's...though no one has played those yet). Hopefully. Like Dynamism said, I think Ike will be about spacing, and will be a good, clean, balanced character, as well as dominate in teams.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I hate the non first generation pokemon with a burning passion that swells from the depths of my soul.
NOOOO!!!

They are awesome and much more original design-wise than the originals.

*covers Weavile's ears*

Don't let him tell you otherwise, Weavile.

Besides, more Pokemon means more metagame.

But this topic is about Smash, not Pokeymans.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
I hate the non first generation pokemon with a burning passion that swells from the depths of my soul.
YES!!!!

I beat Poke Silver on GBC with Nidoking, Beedrill, Gengar, Graveler, Pikachu (yeah baby) and Dragonite. Total 1sties through my entire stock. Didn't even try catching anything that wasn't. And did I mention I have 4 "FOUR" Pokemon board games!!!! All first gen!!!
I was such a Pokegeek :laugh:

It only lasted about two months though O_O

And Ness isn't FAST?? wtf hahaha

Pichu is an exeption because he was made to be a rag doll. BUT NOW~~~!!!!
Pichu has evolved and he is in Brawl. Have you seen the new Pikachu :psycho::cool:

jacer

Smash Cadet
NNID
thejacer87
just a quick q?

gimpy said b4 that he felt it was akward having to press back instead on down to do a ledge hop..... i always thought(and use) pressing back was better bcuz when i press down to do a ladge hop it fastfalls and is harder to get back on the stage

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
correct me if im wrong but I don't see an update for power shielding. is it still in or not and if its in, how good is it, also what about slow ledge recovery after 100%?

thx

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
dont pretend ness is fast, but no, sonic has effective enough moves to be out of the lower tiers
*dun...*

Ness IS fast. As in a good Ness player can match Fox in terms of speed and maneuverability. He needs to be in the air though.

I REALLY hope that Ness/Lucas's DJC is not removed...

Break

Smash Apprentice
I love how Gimpy is saving characters for last. That motor boatin' son of a b*tch.
But seriously, I appreciate you using your time to give us all this in depth info.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Wow, almost all of the questions contributed by players in the E4A Q&A Thread have now been answered! Only these few remain:

- Does dodging while hanging on a ledge still count you as on the ledge for the entire length of the dodge animation, preventing others from grabbing it, or can others grab it as soon as you are actually physically off the ledge?

- Can you C-stick a DAir after the height of your jump without doing a fast-fall? If you use the C-stick for air attacks does it move your character in the direction pressed now, or can you still, say, jump backwards and C-stick an FAir without losing your backwards momentum? The new C-stick mechanics seem to indicate this may have changed.

- How does Mario manage to charge FLUDD while blocking as mentioned on the Dojo, since Down+B would make you spot-dodge while blocking?

- Can DK wall-jump now, like he could do in his latest platformer, DK Jungle Beat?

- Does DK benefit from hit stun resistance like Bowser and Ike? What moves, if any, offer this?

- Is ZSS's Down+B that dive kick move like Captain Falcon's? What happens if you do it on the ground?

- When ZSS grabs someone with her Up+B and pulls them toward her, does she automatically go into a grab kind of like Bowser's old side+B, or do they just land next to her, or what?

- Can Link still block projectiles with his Hylian shield (by just idling or ducking, not pressing block)? Can he block Fox's lasers with it now?
Gimpy's updates will hopefully answer the remaining character questions. Since he's past the techniques section though we may not get answers for the other ones any time soon, unless someone else from E4A happens to know.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Most of the non-1st ones are dumb, though I like the 2nd gen a lot more, honestly. However, pretty much all the bug types were dumb (minus Beedrill, Scyther, and maybe a few more), for some odd reason I hate the Evee and evolutions (minus Volteon), Jynx (the original prostitue Pokemon), and a few more. But most of the 1st gen Pokemon rocked, and a good percentage of the 2nd gen did as well. The 3 legendary dogs, Lugia, Ho-oh, the starters and their evolutions...they were no Venasaur, Blastoise (best Pokemon ever), or Charizard, but they were good.

The 3rd gen basically sucked, outside of a few (like Deoxys, Rayquaza, etc.). The 4th gen...bleah. Just Reggigags and Lucario. The rest basically suck. 95% of the non-1st gen Pokemon suck, and 4.8% of the rest is the 2nd gen. LOL. *Points at Pichu and Electkid, and gives them a dirty look. Then resumes to unleash Ridley from his cage to eat them.*

And lol at Ness being fast. He's average speed at best, and he has a kinda good and very easy wavedash. He's not very fast, and I say that as a Ness-user. Ness is very manuverable (despite sucky recovery and B moves), and is pretty good with combos. Hopefully he returns.

Anyways, I am anxiously awaiting to hear news on Ike and Donkey Kong. :)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
ZSS's d-air is the dive kick. It's like Sonic's.

Her down b is a little juke teleport thing. When done in the air, she does a jump spin like Sheik does with her up+b, flashing in the meantime and possible granting invulnerability. I don't remember if you can do anything after the little teleport.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
qfmft

They just get uglier and uglier..making more and more money..

Pokemon are hookers.
No U. A vast majority of the new Pokemon look awesome. Only some are totally ugly (Slacking, Tangrowth, etc.)

If we started with 4th gen and worked our way up to 1st gen, people would still complain.

Really, from a character designer's point of view, the old Pokemon are very simplistic and uninspired (Charizard, lol)

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I think Mario will be the best character in the game now. I hope theres a way to utilize his fluid though.
That really would suck if it was just useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom