• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
So can I have an update on what techniques are still in?

Directional influence? Crouch cancelling? L-cancelling? All gone?

Seriously, L-cancelling is gone? Why? Why would they remove it? Pros will still dominate noobs, they just won't have interesting matches against one another. This is ridiculous.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I'm having an overwhelming fear that combo videos and pro matches will be... less impressive? Due to a lack of advanced techniques.

I know it's still early to speculate that there won't be any fun advanced techniques, but L-cancelling and wavedashing were HUGE. Those two really separated the men from the boys, if you know what I mean.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I haven't quite lost all hope, I don't think the gameplay will be completely watered down. I was browsing videos and I was watching one of game and watch, and I was blown aways by what he can do in the airs. Attacking after up-b and the momentum airdodges are going to be huge. I don't think it necessarily looks slower, I just think it looks different.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
quick question.

if wave landing is still in, wouldnt wavedashing still be doable on slanted stages?

Like on Lylat cruse, it sometimes slants, If you are facing "up hill" and you start to run, if you shorthopped while DIing into the ground, wouldnt your natural momentum carry you into a WD?

saberhof

Smash Master
I know it's still early to speculate that there won't be any fun advanced techniques, but L-cancelling and wavedashing were HUGE. Those two really separated the men from the boys, if you know what I mean.
remember, its a NEW GAME, and theres gonna be NEW advanced technique's to learn...it will just take time, melee didn't advance in one day.

saberhof

Smash Master
I know, but even L-cancelling carried over into Melee from SSB64. Even that's been proven time and time again that to be out.
so?...

just Expect the unexpected...or don't expect at all and stop speculating(without the profit tho or the risking...>_>..), just don't get your hopes up and just play the game without any regret, soon there will be new advanced techniques. =)

Proven

Smash Apprentice
what new advanced techs did they purposely include. other than crawling and jumping on peoples' heads
A lot of neutral B moves (like the Falcon Punch) can be turned around (and in the case of Pit, even aimed upward) mid animation.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
i really want to know whats the deal with l canceling, many contradictions between many people

Smash Ace
L canceling is out, both in the "pressing shield" and the "fastfall before the aerial" form. Period. Out. Gone. Aerial lag has in general been cut down, but not across the board and not to the same level as L canceling.

On a side note, someone at the E for All demo apparently discovered Wing Canceling. Check Gimpy's impressions of Pit.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Even if pretty much none of the advanced techniques carry over from Melee whats the big deal. I don't understand why so many people keep crying about it. New ones will be discovered over time. A new form of L Canceling may be discovered. Probably will be eventually.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Even if pretty much none of the advanced techniques carry over from Melee whats the big deal. I don't understand why so many people keep crying about it. New ones will be discovered over time. A new form of L Canceling may be discovered. Probably will be eventually.
it's not the lack of intentionally put in advanced techniques that bothers me. it's that they didn't intend to make the game as competitively playable as melee. they took out a ton of advanced techs, but they didn't intentionally add an equivalent amount of advanced techs to satisfy many competitive smashers. when melee first came out, everyone was happy cause it had everything from 64 and more. but this isn't the case with brawl.

edit: thanks mike. i'll go look at that

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
That's because melee wasn't completely meant to be everything it ended up being. Brawl is what smash is SUPPOSE TO BE! And I bet Brawl has a MUCH bigger competitive community than melee ever did.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
That's because melee wasn't completely meant to be everything it ended up being. Brawl is what smash is SUPPOSE TO BE! And I bet Brawl has a MUCH bigger competitive community than melee ever did.
even if you're right, what something is "supposed to be" isn't always the most fun. and of course brawl will have a larger competitive community. it's newer than melee, it had TONS of advertising, and nearly all the competitive players from melee will play brawl.

the only things i really have a problem with is the opening theme and no l-cancelling. the game looks great, but not as good as i expected it to be. hopefully, my opinion becomes more positive once i get to play the game.

smashvillain18

Smash Cadet
I know I'm super late in the discussion, but you guys rock! Gimpy, that's some impressively detailed work you did. I have to thank you and your friends for a job well done. And to the guys posting, I'll glad that there are people like you. I hope that you guys will want to battle. Those who want to battle, hope you'll send me a note.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Well I did mean from E for All since Peach WAS in the demo, right?

I was kidding anyway, I just thought it would have been a funny subject to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom