• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting down to the Wifi Basics: Sakurai talks more about Nintendo WFC

mcs

Smash Cadet
this is madness!!!

too many vague messages in this update... :crazy: i mean...this reveals that the character screen could be scrollable (check the pic. it doesent even show wario). it gives a boatload of info about online play (team play, item selection, character selection). theres even a few spoilers about the Sub Space Emmisary adventure mode!

All of this complaining is so pointless. You're
still gonna buy the game no matter what.
You people who keep complaining about 2 min. matches must don't
have alot of friends. The point of this site is to meet new friends anyway,
just use friend codes.
And....who cares if jiggy isn't unlocked from classic mode
THIS IS BRAWL NOT MELEE OR 64. We played melee for over 6 or 7 years
without online....be gratful there a new smash bros comming out.
A little critizism is okay but this complaining about "I'm gonna hate nintendo.........
is useless."
thank...you. finally :laugh: .

Sakurai thinks we're stupid...

seriously, you think we won't be able to tell the difference between a human and the cpu???
mabey he made new cp opponets?

RicanThunder

Smash Cadet
Each player puts a coin on the stage they want. Okay if each player puts a coin on a different stage, it is a lottery between those four stages correct? It would be dumb if it chooses at random.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
He did however do something I thought was kind of interesting but weird. If you happen to drop out during a “With Anyone” match a CPU will replace you. Of course, what happens if all four players drop out, does the match still continue on their server and if not on the server which Wii console CPU will the other players be relying on? We don’t have to worry about friend matches ending up this way because I think Sakurai realized the futility in doing such a thing.
The match will probably continue even if all four players drop out: remember that spectators won't want to lose their bets for the match.

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
In a small, unobstrusive office hidden beneath Len
Um, I dont think he meant that if you run into a secret character online its automaticly unlocked. Its just spoiled for you.
Well, isn't it a surprise! I found a very familiar face in here! Fascinante. I can't wait for you to recognize me, because I bet you will. Bahahaha!

Anyways, as much as I like the option to play Online, I still don't like the idea of random players not be shown during the fight, or the message taunts be shown to your opponents. This is an excelent addition to Brawl, but a bad way to apply it in my opinion. Besides, Nintendo should stick to players on Wi-Fi to use their one and only (if posble to change) Wii Wi-Fi FC, not another FC for every different game. Not cool at all, but everyone has his opinions.

Also, I'd better stay away from Japanese spoilers when the game launches there on the 24th. I want to guess the hidden characters just like I did in Melee.

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
Also, I forgot to mention...

Masahiro Sakurai on SBD said:
So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters.
Yes, I know he won't mention details of hidden characters, but does this mean... that he won't post any more veterans or new characters on the Smash Blog, nor the last 3rd. party character...?

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
With anyone will be good for a quick brawl, but if i want to get serious i'll play with freinds (IRL or online). Easy (for the most part).

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Hopefully, this update means that there will be no more "play the game for 20 hours" to unlock a character.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Okay, for everyone who thinks the pic on the dojo is the starting roster, consider this:

1) Kirby and Pokémon Trainer aren't in it, yet they appear on the box. This roster is not the final version.

Argument: "So? Who cares if they're on the box! They could still be unlockable!"

Alright...

2) DeDeDe isn't in it yet you fight him in the FIRST event match, as shown in a previous update. Makes no sense.

Argument: "Maybe you unlock him by completing the first event match!"

3) Can't argue with logic like that...

Anyway, I actually like this update. Sure it may be only 2 minute matches and a lottery randomly decides whether your item settings/stage get's chosen or not, but you still get the chance play online.
We actually have an online mode right now, they could've just not gave us that, do you guys realize how spoiled we all are?

And there's always with Friends and you're all members of Smashboards, you can EASILY get someone's friend code here. And with Friends will probably allow for more customization. If I remember correctly a former update did imply you host matches on with friends so you "can" probably make the settings to your likings! There ya go! Now what you still complaining about?

Also, I agree with Pluvia, I do think Sakurai kinda implied in this update that he will be the first (or at least try to be the first) to reveal hidden characters. Since he's "not going to be so hung up on them."

Anyway, I liked this update.

PS: Just to contradict 90% of the people here I have to say this: YES! I DO LIKE SAKURAI!

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Okay whats the point in finishing out a match against the cpu if stats and win/loss records are not recorded. Thats ******** especially if the AI is anthing like melee's was. If that happens I'll just quit. If I wanted to play vs the cpu I'd do it offline. This is great for 4 player brawls though. Ill mostly be playing 1v1 though.

NukeA6

Smash Master
If most hidden characters are unlocked in SSE, that means we are gonna see some surprise entrances. It would be nice to see Megaman pop out of nowhere.

I like how online mode makes people mysterious and all that. Sounds like fun.

Azariel

Smash Rookie
I just don't understand how people can keep defending sakurai's decision to force 2 minute timed battles and 4 for alls upon us. I personally love playing 1v1s on stock and now thats not an option for me. I understand that there is the with friends option, but what if my friends are all asleep or studying for a test and i want to smash it up? I HAVE to play a time match? Everyone saying that were spoiled and should just be happy we have wifi at all is simply being a fanboy. When someone gives you a plate full of dog poo to eat you don't say "be grateful we get to eat at all." You say what is this dog ****?

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
If most hidden characters are unlocked in SSE, that means we are gonna see some surprise entrances. It would be nice to see Megaman pop out of nowhere.

I like how online mode makes people mysterious and all that. Sounds like fun.
If it happened like you said, or even better, with Phoenix Wright (although I highly doubt it)... that would be sexy indeed.

Personally, I don't really like the anonymous player idea like you said. And we've yet to see if the CPU controlled opponent will have a decision regarding his skill level. You don't want to see a level 9 CPU that the opponent unsuspectingly left to you, do you?

...As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, it would be nice.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I highly doubt random brawls will ONLY be 2-minute matches...

Nintendo may be new to online gaming... but honestly... even they know better than that...

So you vote for items and stages and the like...

But perhaps you can also change the settings (special brawl, stock, stamina, coins, etc...) where you do in melee (by clicking 2-minute KO fest)... If you don't like what someone has set it to you can "Leave" by clicking the top left...

you can't honestly believe that they would waste the With Anyone option by only allowing 2-minute, 4 person matches....

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman

Nintendo may be new to online gaming... but honestly... even they know better than that...

But perhaps you can also change the settings (special brawl, stock, stamina, coins, etc...) where you do in melee (by clicking 2-minute KO fest)... If you don't like what someone has set it to you can "Leave" by clicking the top left...

you can't honestly believe that they would waste the With Anyone option by only allowing 2-minute, 4 person matches....
I was -just- about to post something like that, it's not concrete yet that we can only play 2 minute 4 player matches folks; I hope not though. Sadly Sakurai didn't go indepth with things like these. Anyone know what that "40" is for up there on the top left by the way, I can't quite tell, sorry if it's been said already

Phred

Smash Journeyman

Why not? It's random mode. The point is to have very little options available to you.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
not the starting roster...greeeat update....Sonic will definetly be unlockable number 1 nd kirby will be a starter so will zelda, so he just gave an example i guess idk that b wak if sonic wasnt unlockable that b gay

Phred

Smash Journeyman
not the starting roster...greeeat update....Sonic will definetly be unlockable number 1 nd kirby will be a starter so will zelda, so he just gave an example i guess idk that b wak if sonic wasnt unlockable that b gay
It goes with the "I don't want characters to be spoiled just yet" sentiment.
It's just the exact same character and stage selection menus from E4

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I think the 40 is the time limit...

Oh yeah... this IS the demo select screen... there were no changeable options in the demo... and they are using the same screen... so if they use the ACTUAL selection screen options will probably be included...

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I was -just- about to post something like that, it's not concrete yet that we can only play 2 minute 4 player matches folks; I hope not though. Sadly Sakurai didn't go indepth with things like these. Anyone know what that "40" is for up there on the top left by the way, I can't quite tell, sorry if it's been said already

It's the time. You have 40 seconds to chose your character and stage or else all that will be chosen randomly for you. It's quite standard in random online WFC matches.
That item button up there probably edits the item switch, but since that takes a while, it will probably just use the item switch you used last.
Items everyone picked will be turned on, items no one picked will be turned off.
Items some people pick may or may not show up??

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um, i think that if you play online, any characters you haven't unlocked, but that the other players have, will indeed be playable, but just for that session. I don't think they'll become available for normal play until you actually unlock them yourself.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Um, i think that if you play online, any characters you haven't unlocked, but that the other players have, will indeed be playable, but just for that session. I don't think they'll become available for normal play until you actually unlock them yourself.
Perhaps. You can chose characters you haven't unlocked during Super Mario Strikers play, but I would beleive that you can only chose the characters you have, and they can chose the characters they have.
It's not going to not let them be the characters you don't have.

Darthkirby707

Smash Cadet
Wait a second- what about custom stages? Will you be able to use your own custom stages, or would that not work because the other players would have to download it? The stage of the day would probably be available however.

Also, how would custom stages work on friend battles? Would you have to send your friend the stage in advance to be able to play it online, or would it not be an option at all?

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I'm sure you could battle on the stage... perhaps you both have to download it... or maybe someone can just upload it and both play without the other having to download it...

ugh too many "load"s in that post...

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Wait a second- what about custom stages? Will you be able to use your own custom stages, or would that not work because the other players would have to download it? The stage of the day would probably be available however.

Also, how would custom stages work on friend battles? Would you have to send your friend the stage in advance to be able to play it online, or would it not be an option at all?
I'm sure the mechanics behind that will have an entire day devoted to it.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
You are in a giant realm of smash fans... it would be wise to hold your tongue...
What's wrong with learning new things?

I wonder if the game WOULD keep simulating a battle where everyone left?
You got to think of the spectators that have their coins on this battle, don't you?

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
haha exploitation...

a group of kids are gonna get together... bet on someone... and then have the other person kill themselves...

but this would require someone to bet on the loser...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

I'm thinking "Team Battle" would probably to have more options as far as game modes, etc. And there may very well be a way to just play as 4 "teams", i.e., a FFA, under that setting. Today's update dealt exclusively with the "BASIC BRAWL" option, which as its name would imply would have fewer options. I think you guys need to keep that in mind.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone fill me in on who is falling in the background of the last screen?
... you have to be a noob to not know who that is... its pink... it has a winter coat on... it has a face poking out around a white lions mane looking frill from the coat... its smiling.... and has a hammer..

Top Bottom