• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting down to the Wifi Basics: Sakurai talks more about Nintendo WFC

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
... you have to be a noob to not know who that is... its pink... it has a winter coat on... it has a face poking out around a white lions mane looking frill from the coat... its smiling.... and has a hammer..
actually nana looks more like shes screaming....=)

i wonder if the charcter unlocking in emissary is set to difficulties if not then ill play it through my first time on easiest just to get all the chars from that mode.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
@Azariel (and the rest who doesn't like the online play for that matter):

A fanboy? Why yes, yes I am and I see nothing wrong with that.
If the online play really is a "pile of dog poo on a plate" to you as you put it, then DON'T PLAY IT.
It 'is' that simple really, nobody's forcing you to play it.
To my knowledge it doesn't detract from the other facets of the game and it's a facet that wasn't even in smash brothers before.

Agreed, maybe you shouldn't be grateful and maybe you don't have to be thankful for it.
But the way you talk about it you seem to apply that it detracts from the over-all game while it obviously doesn't.

The original plan was just a remake of Smash Bros Melee with an extra character or two, maybe a couple new stages and added online play. Rather have that instead? "No because that'd be very smelly dog poo on a plate."

Yeah... can't argue with that kind of logic either...

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess that the starting roster is reviled. It wouldn't surprise me if it changed by February 10th, though.
no it hasnt... stop assuming this noobs, and before you post on a topic, read ALL the other posts first, cuz we explained it 20 times already yet ppl who just now got online and read the first page post this over and over... it needs to stop...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
More on the Team Battle selection (cross post:)

Huh? We’re already at character selection? That’s right. You don’t make any rooms.
This implies that "Team Battle" takes you to an interface where you create rooms. Why would you do that if you are playing under the "with anyone" option? The only explanation I can come up with is that someone can choose to create a game and set the options they want. People looking for a game can see a list of open games and get a reading on the match settings for each one. Then they can join a game they like (not being able to see the host's name), and once the game is full, you proceed to the character select screen.

If this is true (which I'd wager it is), then all of this complaining is for nothing.

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
if Sakurai has been showing us unlockables that may put a dent in overall roster considering that we haven't received a char update in a long while...but then again maybe hes waiting for the final weeks to build some major hype.......never know.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I thought Sakurai clearly said that the stage and which items are on/off is voted on by the participants.
Am I reading it wrong?

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice

This implies that "Team Battle" takes you to an interface where you create rooms. Why would you do that if you are playing under the "with anyone" option? The only explanation I can come up with is that someone can choose to create a game and set the options they want. People looking for a game can see a list of open games and get a reading on the match settings for each one. Then they can join a game they like (not being able to see the host's name), and once the game is full, you proceed to the character select screen.

If this is true (which I'd wager it is), then all of this complaining is for nothing.
it would be horrible it it randomed you with people that sucked or got dropped all the time

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
^^^at maxpower:
I bet the team battles will be when two people are on the same Wii and want to be able to fight othter random teams (like Halo for example).

If you get replaced by a computer, and the computer wins, and assuming there is a ranking system:

what lvl difficulty will the computer be set on? Will it be according to your rank or will it be preset?

Ok the majority of Nintendo WiFi games have a ranking system, so this is assuming that brawl has some kind of points based ranking system:

A. If you are in the majority of the match and it ends up winning due to your good playing, will you get points?
B. Will other players lose points/rankings if a computer beats them online?

In Guitar Hero III online for the Wii, you get the choose the majority of settings if you are the host of a non-friends match. The options for settings are preset (1 match, 3 matches, up to i think 7 matches), but you do have a lot of options. If Brawl is ANYTHING like this, then i'm guessing you will be able to chose the type of match (stock/time/special???), as well as the time/stock amount and item/smash ball configuration. I'm hoping that there will be preset time/stock amounts (2/3/5/7/10 minutes and 1/2 up to 10 lives in stock).

Also, do you think you will be able to see other people's coins (1P, 2P, etc) on the character select screen while you are choosing?

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
The coin in the stage select picture isn't the coins you earn in the game, they are they 1P, 2P, 3P, 4P coins that you put on your character when you pick who you want to use. Since each player needs to vote for a stage to play, it shows your coin and which stage you placed it on.

Something I'm wondering about is, when a player gets d/c'd and the CPU takes over, how does that work? One of the other player's Wii's starts up its AI and then that Wii is sending TWO inputs online? I'm guessing it'll be a random level CPU, as well.

What about the item switch? How many items will randomly be turned off? Will there always be some items turned off? Can it turn off Smash balls? Can it turn off all the items?

If characters aren't being hidden online, I suspect stages will follow suit. If you wanna know all the characters and stages that can be unlocked, just go online on like the 2nd or 3rd day after Brawl comes out!

If you earn most characters through the SSE, how does that work exactly? You play through it once and you have 3/4ths of the roster? That seems pretty lame. If there are lots of branching parts like choosing between Zelda and Peach, then I can see having to go through multiple playthroughs, one time getting Zelda, one time getting Peach. But not them, since I'm pretty sure they're starters. Also, I'd guess you still unlock a couple characters through Event mode, and Jiggs is still unlocked from your first time through Classic. And there will be a character like Mr. G&W, who you unlock only once you've unlocked everyone else.

A very mysterious update indeed...
Yeah that whole quote sort of got me disappointed. I was hoping that unlocking characters would be intricate like in Melee, not so easy as playing through SSE. I knew some characters would be unlocked this way, but I didn't think most of them would. I was hoping for it to be all over this place. I wonder why he showed us the character select screen from the Brawl demo though. Those can't be the only starters, can they?

Rajun Cajun

Smash Rookie
The folks above me are correct, you only get to fight with characters you unlock yourself by playing through the game.

And he gives some information on how item settings will work: "Also, the items that are turned off in the item switch are also determined by lottery." This doesn't tell us how many votes will be required for an item to be switched off, but we do know it's democratic.

Oh, and there is no host. He mentioned that no rooms are made, and that you're just thrown in with other players searching for game.

Rajun Cajun

Smash Rookie

it doesn't imply that team creates rooms, it implies that OTHER GAMES create rooms. Sakurai is working under the assumption that the rest of us have soe experience with how online play usually works. I seriously doubt there will be any rooms in "with anyone".

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Easily the best update this week, despite being just an extension of a feature we already knew of. And the first pic's caption fits my Wii, except without the suceeding. XD

Aaaanyway, onto the update. It seems strange that they used the Demo Character and Stage select, unless those really ARE the starter screens. That'd be... strange... to say the least. The idea of a CPU taking over for disconnectors is ingenious. Seriously. I also personally like the idea of how it determines the stage and items. It just seems to make sense.

The one thing in this update that really disappoints me is that "You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary." That just seems... boring. I was looking forward to doing essentially random stuff and unlocking characters, possibly without even knowing quite how. Hopefully stages are still unlocked in more "traditional" ways.

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
The only place they speak English in that dimension is, oddly enough, India, were they are extremely British and eat treacle pudding after their curry."- Chrestomanci, Witch Week

I was wondering how we got most of the characters. I might be asking something that has already been answered but is there an option to go back through a particular character's storyline with any character in order to open another area? Like in Kirby: Squeak Squad where Sword and Fire Kirby could cut down or burn up tufts of grass which hid doors or powers? That would make the game even more expansive.

Mega Man and Monkey D. Luffy for Brawl!!!

burrito

Smash Lord
Sakurai said:
You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl.
What I got out of this, was that Sakurai basically confirmed that all the characters being shown on the Dojo are starters. It makes no sense otherwise. As for this:

So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters.
Well, there are different ways one could interpret this. I think that he just means that he's not going to worry about characters being revealed over wi-fi. No more than that.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Well I'm guessing all the Character shown on the Dojo, apart from Sonic and Snake, are starters.

Or maybe Dedede is Unlockable, he was only mentioning how he's not going to worry much about showing us Unlockables, as they'll be spoiled for us on the Internet anyway.

Kunx990

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm guessing all the Character shown on the Dojo, apart from Sonic and Snake, are starters.

Or maybe Dedede is Unlockable, he was only mentioning how he's not going to worry much about showing us Unlockables, as they'll be spoiled for us on the Internet anyway.
Nah Dedede is in Event 1.

miller483

Smash Ace
My guess is that Sakurai made "With Anyone" the way it is so it can be used as a "warm-up" of sorts. Sakurai knows that "With Friends" mode is the real way to go regarding Wi-Fi.:)

Also: the whole "beat characters you don't have online and you unlock them" thing was in Metroid Prime Hunters. "With anyone" will probably work the same way.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
what the update said was sakurai wasn't going to worry about the spoilers from on-line play becase all the characters will be leaked eventually anyway... waht does this mean if you go on-line and play a character you dont have on-line, what do you get? you get a cookie and the knowledge that you dont have that character yet.. and thats all.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Aww, the EU delay is really getting to me now, to find out the roster, I'm gonna have to go on bloody GameFAQs, or try to restrain myself for 5 months. I don't know if I can do that though, I might just spoil it for myself...

Yeah, I prolly will spoil it for myself. God **** you Nintendo of Europe.
Please, just save yourself the trouble and import it from America. I'm very sure that Wii's are region-free.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
They aren't?

Well, it's a real dumb move to not make region-free. Then I do believe those 5 months will be intense grueling pain and suffering.

Hidey-ho chap.

Rash

Smash Ace
What I want to know is, what if only one other person connects on the character-select screen? Is there any way to just stop the other connections from happening, thus forcing a 1v1?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Rather disapointing, but also rather relieveing

I like how some of it works, and if I am going to be playing random people, I like the fact that I won't know when they leave, just when they start being predictable I can just feel like I am getting a lot smarter =P

Good but bad, remember he can change it faster than he changed December 3rd -_-;;

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
one MAJOR thing was blow today

We may be in the face of unlockables already. He has made it official, he IS showing us unlockables.

Top Bottom