• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting down to the Wifi Basics: Sakurai talks more about Nintendo WFC

Firebert

Smash Ace
NO!!! This debunks PT as a starter! I knew it was likely, though. I'm still very disappointed, and will have to play through SSE before Basic Brawl.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This tells us nothing about starters. He needed to show a character select screen without showing the REAL one, so he threw up the screen from the demo. That's all. There's no way those are the starters.

I

i8waffles612

This update makes me wonder if we can change the settings to Stock...

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
This update was utterly heartbreaking...

Nintendo has a precident that was set by Metroid Prime Hunters for their online games which hasn't ben met since that games release. We had vc, could see names in random matches, the ability to semi friend random opponents (rivals), and had the ability to create a lobby that our friends and rivals could join.

The online for Brawl has been a true disapointment for me (at least when it comes to random matches, friend matches seem ok). Mario Kart DS, hell, every DS game and Wii game that has online with random battles uses a better system then Brawl. With Brawl being such a big gun for Ninty it is beyond me why they can't even meet the standards of other Nintendo online games, let alone exceed MPH's well implemented yet simple precident.

:urg:

EDIT: I realise some may think I've set myself up for disapointment but it quite the opposite, I own to many Nintendo WiFi games to expect an epic online. It just saddens me that Brawl will have th least fleshed out online (on DS and Wii), at least when it comes to random battles.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Another thing I noticed is people thinki that the Demo Character Select Screen is the starting roster. The lack of Kirby really debunks that really.

Dragothel

Smash Journeyman
Very nice update, lots of speculation put to an end.

Glad we know most characters are unlockable from SSE, which will be cool.

Can't wait to play Wi-Fi!

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I actually like the fact that if someone drops, a cpu replaces them. It'd be nice to know, but c'mon, anyone worth their salt will be able to tell if they're suddenly playing a cpu. But anyways, yeah, this is nice because your game won't just abruptly end.

I hope you can change the matches to stock, or longer than 2 minutes. 2 minutes is ridiculously short.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
what character is in the top center in this pic.

edit: never mind it's just ice climbers

Desruprot

Smash Lord
One thing that is nice is the fact that you beat up the sandbag while waiting, at least we have not had a revenge of the sandbag yet...

kingjoekur

Smash Apprentice
im glad he noted most characters will be unlocked in the SSE, this game is gonna have one epic adventure mode... im looking forward to it

no stock in "with anyone" is wii-k

"with anyone" is supposed to appeal to everyone.....does anyone even play two minute matches???

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I actually like the fact that if someone drops, a cpu replaces them. It'd be nice to know, but c'mon, anyone worth their salt will be able to tell if they're suddenly playing a cpu. But anyways, yeah, this is nice because your game won't just abruptly end.

I hope you can change the matches to stock, or longer than 2 minutes. 2 minutes is ridiculously short.
I want to battle you, mainly because your a fellow new yorker. And you talk a good game, shall we battle around brawl's release. I will pm you with my fc sometime after i get the game.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
well might as well be becuase you never know for sure if they dropped out or not. But yeah for at least the first minute you probably assume that your still playing a real person, but after that, who knows?
And BTW do you know why i cant start my own threads?
That happened to me too, u have to accept the confirmation email given to u

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman
That's the beginning roster??? Pooey, no kirby :(
And so much for all 3rd party chars being secret...
no it isn't...people are just assuming that....blinding theselfs thinking this is the stater roster...SEREOUSLY HOW CAN KIRBY NOT BE A STARTER??? ITS ILOGICAL!

Teevo

Smash Rookie
I'm confused on how people think this update is saying that Sakurai is gonna update all the hidden characters.

"You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl."

Why would he say THAT if such is the case? It doesn't make sense to me. He explains how to avoid getting spoiled, why would he say that then spoil it later. You have to visit this site to read what he said... posting hidden characters on the same site... anyone... anyone getting what I'm saying here?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I'm confused on how people think this update is saying that Sakurai is gonna update all the hidden characters.

"You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl."

Why would he say THAT if such is the case? It doesn't make sense to me. He explains how to avoid getting spoiled, why would he say that then spoil it later. You have to visit this site to read what he said... posting hidden characters on the same site... anyone... anyone getting what I'm saying here?
But you did just quote mine there. He also said:

And there is one more important thing...

When you have a battle mode that runs online like Basic Brawl, the problem of what to do with hidden characters arises. If one of your opponents chooses a character you haven’t unlocked yet, it will be spoiled for you immediately.

But even without this mode, given the proliferation of the Internet these days, the existence of hidden characters is going to get exposed anyway.

So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters.
That means he's not going to get "to hung up" on hidden Characters, so he's not going to worry much about keeping them secret, cause they'll all be spoiled on the Internet anyway.

Teevo

Smash Rookie
That means he's not going to get "to hung up" on hidden Characters, so he's not going to worry much about keeping them secret, cause they'll all be spoiled on the Internet anyway.
Well yeah, but I don't personally see that as him saying "WOO LET'S POST CHARACTERS!" I'm just thinking he's saying, "Hey don't worry about it too much." of course... then again, my theory is that the only character we're getting from here is the last newcomer to fill up the bottom row, and then leaving the rest of the characters to be a surprise for in game unlockery.

I Have a feeling that'd probably be unpopular theory 'round these parts, I reckon, mmmhrrmmm. *puffs his pipe*

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
All of this complaining is so pointless. You're
still gonna buy the game no matter what.
You people who keep complaining about 2 min. matches must don't
have alot of friends. The point of this site is to meet new friends anyway,
just use friend codes.
And....who cares if jiggy isn't unlocked from classic mode
THIS IS BRAWL NOT MELEE OR 64. We played melee for over 6 or 7 years
without online....be gratful there a new smash bros comming out.
A little critizism is okay but this complaining about "I'm gonna hate nintendo.........
is useless."

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I'm really confused. Sakurai is hailing bad news and is excusing for great news. Look at this :

Names won’t be shown and messages won’t be sent. Neither your identity nor your opponents’ will be known, so you can play without any worries.
You mean, without fun!

If you get cut off, your character will get taken over by the CPU without your opponents even knowing—it pinch hits for you!
OH GOD NO!

However, we won’t be swapping in CPU characters when you’re playing With Friends. Sorry about that.
Sorry? You mean, THANK GOODNESS!

Plus the fact that it doesn't seems we'll be able to change the 2min match. Ok I'm not taking "With Anyone" seriously anymore.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
big update. lots of info.

but misto-roboto, i didn't like how you did the secret characters part, but i may have a theory on the item switch part.

i honestly don't think you can unlock characters but just playing them online. he just states that, like every smash bros. game, the hidden characters you fight will become playable, but i think the major way will be through the Subspace Emissary, like Sakurai states. but if you can get them through online play...well, that's alright, but i'll be unlocking them through the S.E. before i go online then.

but my theory on the item switch....it's still a little vauge, but not as much as Sakurai states. I think it is done in two or three ways.

1. Through the options mode in Wi-Fi, you can customize the items you want to play with (least likely)

2. The customization is already set through your regular options, but plays into Wi-Fi when you connect (most likely)

3. Sakurai already has a set custom item switch, such as no items, all items, shooting items only, healing items only, etc. (very likely)

and in the end, whatever is chosen, you just pick what you want. so for the first two, you can select your own set or someone else's, while the third, well you just pick what you want

anyway, that's what i picked out of the update

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
this pic here

leads me to believe you will have the choice you edit game play options, look at the top right hand corner, it has a button for items, plus you can prorbaly click the bar at the top like you could in melee to change options

overthere

Smash Cadet
I'm inferring the host sets the rules of the match, as there are simply too many options for everyone to vote on.

As for dropouts becoming CPU, I'm sure some sort of message will play.

Give Sakurai a break, people. He still claims they really have thought of everything. At least he's smart enough to realize that there's no use in hiding spoilers, seeing as mostly no-one really cares about being surprised at the game's release.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
To those complaining about the lack of options available in "With Anyone" mode, I ask you to consider what may be behind the connection progress overlay in this picture:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Actually, NM, I think that's where you choose "Nintendo WFC" over other options. Bah.

MasterFeint

Smash Cadet
I figure everyone on this site who is getting Brawl will most likely have their friend code readily available, so I'm not to worried about the 'With Anyone' mode. If I plan on playing seriously, I'll get a game going with friends, I'm sure someone from here, or one of my other friends will generally always be on.

But if I just feel like have a completely random mess of a match, I'll go to with anyone. Sometimes temple can be fun with 99 stock, 2.0 damage ratio and bob-ombs, land mines, and sticky bombs only set to very high.

Can't wait to see something on weather or not we can set up tournements in game, as opposed to on the forums.

The Director

Smash Lord
Okay, I've got a question here because the post on the blog confused me:

On the blog it said that when you fight a character online that you haven't unlocked yet, you unlock them. I didn't see that on the Dojo update, is it true? I might have just not been able to read passed Sakurai's cryptic speak.

Top Bottom